VLCD, Lighter Life, Cambridge Diet, etc

(1000 Posts)
Mudwiggle Tue 12-Mar-13 12:09:23

Hi All

Wanted to see if anyone is doing one of these or thinking about it. (If there's already an active thread, I missed it).

I have done LL before, lost three stone in 10 weeks and maintained wonderfully until DC's. Eldest is now four and a half and I think I have probably tried everything going, you name it, I've tried it (Paul McKenna, Paleo, 5:2, Dukan, Weight Watchers, etc).

I know that this works for me, although I understand other peoples objections.
I get paid on Friday and will be contacting a CDC to start on Monday. By the time DS1 is five in June, I intend to be pre DC weight again! grin

Anyone up for it? Or can give me some support or advice? TIA.

thinkfast Tue 19-Mar-13 23:04:59

Watching with interest. Have at least 5 stone to lose and love the idea of seeing results quickly! The only diet that has worked for me in the past is low gi but lost weight at the rate of about half a pound a week and I can't face starting something where I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I have a few concerns about a vlc diet. Can you help:-

1. Will I be able to function at work (busy stressful office job requiring lots of concentration)

2. Will I get lose skin?

Am nearly 34 but have very dry skin. Worried it won't stretch back....

Aspiemum2 Wed 20-Mar-13 08:25:14

From what I understand you feel pretty crap for about 4 days so need to time your start carefully (my start has been postponed until sat now as twins have v&d bug)

Wrt loose skin, I think a certain amount is inevitable. I'm only planning to lose 3 stone this way as I'm currently massive and wanting to see a quick change! After that I'm going to do weight watchers and aim for a much slower weight loss whilst doing lots of exercise. At least that way I'll be very toned so hopefully any loose skin won't look so bad.

ShoopShoop Wed 20-Mar-13 21:57:39

I survived day 1 - v hard and I'm beyond tired, but at least I managed it with no cheating.

I had to field some interesting questions from work colleagues and try and disguise my rumbling stomach in various meetings. Ah well - day two will bring more of the same I expect! Bring on ketosis!!

thinkfast I can only dream of loose skin at the moment but I guess it could potentially be a side effect? I found my concentration levels at work were ok - I was just quite conscious that my stomach was empty! I'm really tired tonight though but that may be down to being away on business the beginning part of thr week. Which diet are you considering?

Alice2701 Thu 21-Mar-13 15:22:54

Hi all,

Just thought I'd add my thoughts to this thread, I'm a serial lurker!!
I've been on CD for the past 4.5 months and am so far just shy of 6 stone (3lbs this saturday PLEASE!) with a further 15lbs to go.

I'm happy to answer any questions that any of you might have but the best thing I can say is stick with it, ignore the haters and for the love of God....make sure you drink at LEAST 3litres of water a day! Really speeds up the weight loss as well as filling you up smile

Good luck!

Alice2701 Thu 21-Mar-13 15:24:59

6 stone loss that should say....I don't actually WEIGH 6 stone. Yikes!

TisILeclerc Thu 21-Mar-13 16:46:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mudwiggle Thu 21-Mar-13 20:22:47

Fantastic Alice! Well done. Are you still on packs only?

Happy to say my CD counsellor seems fantastic so far. Great one hour initial meeting, she gave me quite a few 'freebies' in case I didn't like the ones I had and even explained how to drink on the plan. I don't intend to, but she said 80% of her clients do so she wanted to make sure if I did, I did it 'properly'.

Day two here and unbelievably am already 4lbs down. I know it's not fat loss, etc, but who cares, makes me feel v happy. Day one went pretty smoothly actually with only the odd moment of hunger. Today is another matter entirely...

I have had moments of hunger, but the main problem is I am so ratty. I am shouty and grumpy and basically hell to be around, even for myself. I only had a few hours sleep last night though and was up at 5am to get ready for a job interview, so all in all, I think I will be going to bed in the next 30ms or so. (Although that will mean missing the Good Wife sad).

Not windy here thankfully. However I know that the most common issue on VLCDs is constipation, let's just say that is not an issue here, the opposite in fact. Probably related to the amount of water...?

It's all going to be worth it though!!! gringringrin

thinkfast Thu 21-Mar-13 22:11:24

Hi all. Am considering Cambridge diet. Alice's 6 stone weight loss sounds v motivating. Alice how did you stick with it and were there any negatives?

catinboots Thu 21-Mar-13 22:22:04

Marking place. Just started on s&s this week

Alice2701 Fri 22-Mar-13 16:37:01

Thanks guyssmile

Don't dear it definitely gets easier (becomes a way of life really I guess) but you definitely need some mind over matter, especially when you're sitting with people who are eating etc. the only tip I could give really, is think what do you want most out of this? For me, I wanted to be slimmer again a little bit more than I wanted the crisps (only slightly though!) so that's what's pushed me through. Although I have to say it's other people who have more of a problem with me not eating that I did! I found I was quite "happy" to sit in a restaurant and stuff and just have water but my close friends found it odd and I guess I can't blame them really.

I started in September but I've had a few days off here and there (holiday, Xmas, birthday and a few other bits) but they've been planned days rather than "cheats" I guess.

I've pretty much done SS BUT I hate milkshakes so I used to have one bar plus a soup in the evening which really isn't enough but sadly I was losing on average about 5lbs a week doing that. I'm healthier now though and have 2 bars plus a soup in the evening, sometimes do SS+ and have a small tuna salad as well so that's what keeps me going! I've read a lot of people on here saying that they weren't allowed the bars until week 2 or something odd but my consultant said I could have them as soon as I went into ketosis and in fact, having 2 hasn't done me any harm at all but each to their own I guess.

How's everyone else getting on? Freezing cold?! That's probably the worst side affect of this diet for me and that's that I'm permanently FREEZING all the bloody time!

thinkfast Fri 22-Mar-13 19:28:21

Alice i can't imagine losing 6 or 7 stone ( although I need to) pretty sure I will try CD.

Just need to pluck up the courage....

thinkfast Fri 22-Mar-13 19:29:17

Meant to say well done!

How's everyone else coping?

Purplehearts Fri 22-Mar-13 20:57:23

Great to see so many people joining this thread! Alice you have done brilliantly, its so motivating to hear from someone who have successfully done the diet. I have done 3 weeks now and I agree it does kind of become a way of life!

I have just had my 3rd weigh-in and lost 4 lbs this week which is 20 lbs in 3 weeks, the results really do speak for themselves and makes sticking on this strict regime so much easier!

Mudwiggle, how has day 3 been for you, hope you're finding things easier now and even in ketosis! I'm also a fan of The Good Wife, I dont know anyone else who watches it :-)

I have been freezing cold this week especially in the evenings, I know it is cold outside but I just cant get warm even sitting beside the radiators - I haven't noticed this until this week tho'! Good luck for the weekend everyone, this is definately the hardest time for me!

Aspiemum2 Sat 23-Mar-13 11:03:24

Day 1. So far I've had a banana milkshake. Pleasantly surprised by it really, was much thicker than expected. Feel fine but I'm not a morning eater anyway, test will be 3-4pm

Alice, thank you for posting your achievement. Reading it helps me feel more determined and I can reread it anytime my willpower is fading smile.

Aspiemum2 Sat 23-Mar-13 11:05:48

Purple, 20lbs in 3 weeks is amazing. How are your energy levels? I'm not planning any exercise this week but wondered about week 2, do you think a short exercise video would be doable?

Purplehearts Sat 23-Mar-13 11:22:46

Applemum, I find the shakes and all the products quite nice really - hope the rest of the day is ok for you! My energy levels are just fine actually, in fact I would say I have more energy now than I had before, although I am not doing any exercise yet except a little bit of walking but I think an exercise video would be doable from week 2 or 3. I think I will wait to lose a bit more then start to introduce exercise.

Aspiemum2 Sat 23-Mar-13 11:39:48

Thank you, that's good to hear. I need to do something about my tummy - it looks like the twins are still in there!

Alice2701 Sat 23-Mar-13 12:54:46

Keep at it Aspie! The results will be worth it trust me smile

Had my weigh in this morning and 2lbs off so not tooooo bad but to be honest, I'm always gutted when it's not 4lbs but that hasn't been the case for quite a while now. Although from what I can gather, weight loss slows down quite a bit the closer you get to goal, purely because as a percentage of body fat it's bigger (I think!). I provably haven't explained that too well but a 16 stone person has more to lose each week right?!

I always find the weekends are the worst because I'm out of my work routine so stick with it girls smile

Aspiemum2 Sat 23-Mar-13 14:05:57

Thanks Alice. A few years ago I was much bigger than I am now and found the same as you. Initially I lost very quickly on the scales but it wasn't that noticeable - I actually lost about 3st before anyone noticed. As I got closer to my target every pound seemed to make a bigger impact so don't be disheartened by the scales (evil things)

Well I just tried the chicken soup - amazed I didn't vomit. Won't be ordering that next week!

Weigh in this week, 3lbs off after last week's 5lbs.

One pound short of 50lbs gone!

TisILeclerc Sat 23-Mar-13 16:00:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alice2701 Sun 24-Mar-13 08:27:20

Jesus....I practically live of the chicken soup!! It's the only one I can stomach hmm

Aspiemum2 Sun 24-Mar-13 09:10:42

Are the other soups worse? I got the starter pack so have a selection of most things and have other soups too.
Oddly my favourite thing yesterday was the shake and I don't normally drink milkshakes whereas I love soup but couldn't stand the one I had!

Purplehearts Sun 24-Mar-13 11:06:49

I like the chicken soup too, the only one so far I haven't be able to stomach was the leek and potato!

Aspiemum2 Sun 24-Mar-13 11:28:17

I had the sweet porridge for breakfast, it was bloody awful!
Looking forward to my next order though when I'll just have what I liked this week. Might end up living on banana shakes at this rate!

This thread is not accepting new messages.