VLCD, Lighter Life, Cambridge Diet, etc

(997 Posts)
Mudwiggle Tue 12-Mar-13 12:09:23

Hi All

Wanted to see if anyone is doing one of these or thinking about it. (If there's already an active thread, I missed it).

I have done LL before, lost three stone in 10 weeks and maintained wonderfully until DC's. Eldest is now four and a half and I think I have probably tried everything going, you name it, I've tried it (Paul McKenna, Paleo, 5:2, Dukan, Weight Watchers, etc).

I know that this works for me, although I understand other peoples objections.
I get paid on Friday and will be contacting a CDC to start on Monday. By the time DS1 is five in June, I intend to be pre DC weight again! grin

Anyone up for it? Or can give me some support or advice? TIA.

thepatioislumpy Sat 27-Apr-13 15:40:48

My friend said that when she did LL she did that Red - she used to chop it up small and then freeze it. That way when she took it out of the freezer it took her ages to eat it! I keep meaning to try it but I only normally think about it when I want the bar. However, having thought of it now, I might give it a whirl!

sammac Sat 27-Apr-13 16:34:20

Lost 2 1/2 lbs, which totals 18 in 25 days. Must admit that I thought it would/should be more, but looking at the bigger picture, is still good. I know you can have weeks of more off than others, so hoping for a 4 lb or so next week. Or even 3 will take me to a stone and a half in 32 days.

I asked today about drinks, but on LL not allowed coke zero, or even even fruit or flower tea, only leaf tea. Something to do with the citric acid. Not too sure about Lady Grey tea as that's orangey and what I've been drinking. Also Earl Grey with lavender. Away to check.

RedRidingChops Sat 27-Apr-13 17:23:49

On S&S and I think Exante you can have Coke Zero, but that only- I prefer Pepsi Max, and it's cheaper, but has citric acid. There are a couple of flavoured waters without citric acid, but only a couple. Citric acid in theory knocks some people out of ketosis, but not everyone. I don't think it does affect me but I just try to be sure!

yawningbear Sat 27-Apr-13 17:26:26

That is a great tip with the bar red, that is one of the things I am struggling with the most, preparing the kids food and then watching them eat it. Will slice the bar tomorrow to have when I am getting food ready and will put a sliced one in the freezer too. I have been trying to save the bar to have as a treat at the end of the day but it just wasn't possible today, by 330 I was ravenous and have already devoured it.

Do you really stop feeling so hungry after a few days?? I have the choice of a soup or shake now, found myself measuring out the water for the soup in the bowl and eyeing it up trying to decide if that might be more satisfying than a shake.

18 ibs in 25 days is pretty impressive sammac, sounds like you will definitely be at a stone and a half next week at least smile

Witco Sat 27-Apr-13 17:37:13

Hi All, am marking my place as I have done Lipotrim before and I'm considering doing it again. I have about 4 stone to lose and it has got to the stage where my health is beginning to be affected. I need to steel myself and get on with it!

RedRidingChops Sat 27-Apr-13 17:46:37

Never tried freezing a bar, because I'm a nanny I don't want to put it in the work freezer in case I forget or boss finds it!

After a few days the hunger lessens but is still there.... least that's how it is for me. I don't know if this ketosis thing even exists, I just know I lose the weight! But you never get that satisfied, full feeling on a VLCD. I do odd things with the packs though- I prefer the cottage pie with double the water so it's like a soup, always soak the chili and any pasta packs for a bit before cooking. All of them have extra water! And I don't like shakes really, so I put the powder in a bowl and add a few tbs water to make a thick paste. It's like a pudding! I just make sure I have an extra glass of water to make up for the loss.

I also sometimes substitute other products, ones which ages ago Exante used to say was ok but now took that back, I suspect to stop their customers going elsewhere! Tesco Ultraslim bars, and Atkins meal bars (NOT the snack bars). I might have one on a day when I need something more substantial due to work, I walk miles and miles on school and nursery runs!

Oh and boullion, the reduced salt one. Some carbs in it so a cup or two max a day but it makes a really good, different, hot drink. Some people used to cook veg in it as a stock to make a low-cal soup (S&S has a list of allowed veg, and I prefer to have it as I don't want a complete break from food, I want to stick to better eating habits!)

RedRidingChops Sat 27-Apr-13 17:49:49

Oh and I go mad with herbs too- cottage pie is lovely with a sprinkle of dried, mixed herbs and some black pepper. No salt because of water retention. Dried garlic too. Spray dressing, one cal stuff, on salad veg. All makes it all more palatable and easier to stick to. If I could take a break 100% away from food I could do without it, but when I'm making a shepherds pie for the kids it's good to know I'm going home to something ok!

thepatioislumpy Sat 27-Apr-13 18:27:33

I'd not thought of soaking the pasta first - it might make it a little less crunchy! I agree with you Red about the veg allowance. I think it's really important to use this as a quick fix but not just fixing your weight - fixing your head too. So actually, 200g is more than I might have eaten previously on some days blush which can only be a good thing. Tonight, I'm having the cottage pie with shallots fried in a little frylight tonight and its rather yummy.

I had an email the other day saying that the macaroni cheese had morphed into cheesy pasta which sounds great, and the cookies and cream shake sounds like it could be good too. Although I've got enough to see me through the next 3 weeks I'm thinking of putting another 2 week order in so that I'll def have enough to last me until next payday...

RedRidingChops Sat 27-Apr-13 19:30:22

The soaking works best for the 'thicker' type pasta, like the mushroom but not the original spaghetti. And def a good idea for the chilli! Hard little beans!

RedRidingChops Sun 28-Apr-13 00:06:47

I just found the Slim and Save official Facebook group and once they approve you there's a link to get two free samples of new products, don't know if it's been mentioned here but thought it may be worth saying!

Morning all! Well, after a bit of thought I have switched to doing Lifestyle rather than Simplicity on Slim and Save and I feel better for it.

I just couldn't square the circle of having 4 packs (and having a level of carbs that I know from the past is too high for me to be in ketosis) and yet not having enough calories.

I'm now half way into week 2 and weighing everyday and losing a pound a day. Which is lovely!

thepatioislumpy Sun 28-Apr-13 09:13:33

Scone that sounds very sensible. The overall plan is good but if it needs tweaking to your personal needs then that's ok.

I think I'm going to be kicking myself on weigh in tomorrow. I went to the pub on Friday and the best (or least worst) thing I could have was diet coke. I think its knocked me straight out of ketosis angry so my sneaky pre-weigh in weigh in wasn't looking good this morning.

I've got another night out in a few weeks, so I think it might be worth having only shakes that day as they're the least carb-heavy of all the products. I don't want to not go as its only once every few weeks and if I don't get any down time at all, then this is likely to fail. Which I'm not prepared for it to do.

I've recommitted to it again this morning by ordering another two weeks which will take me through almost the whole of May. So that's me - Little Miss Dedicated...

oggsfrog Sun 28-Apr-13 10:07:48

Morning!

Just had my last daily weigh. Since last Monday I've lost 14lbs. Last week was a hybrid of my own method and one day (yesterday) of S&S. Now I've started S&S proper and will switch to weekly weigh ins.

I've decided to mix the Lifestyle and the Simplicity plans depending on how I feel that day.

Yesterday...
B - Caramel shake, tsp coffee, blended w/ hot water.
L - Honey nougat bar
T - 100g fillet steak, 50g courgette, 50g spring onions (cooked in pan w/ steak) served on 50g watercress
S - Chocolate shake (hot, before bed)

RedRidingChops Sun 28-Apr-13 10:52:46

Morning all.

STS today, bit gutted given how hard I'm trying!

I have a first date today with someone I met from the internet.... I'll be taking a bar and if food is involved I'll aim for salad places (even Pizza Express does a nice Ceasar salad if you ask fro dressing on the side and go slow on the cheese!) but lets see.

Have a good day all of you!

Red don't get down. If you look ^ that was me a week ago. You are only 5 days in. You are just about in ketosis and it will kick in as long as you don't cheat.

Ooh and good luck with the date!

Witco Sun 28-Apr-13 15:43:02

Weighed myself this morning and I am 13 st 1 lb which, at a smidge over 5 foot is confused! Starting New You tomorrow morning for definite. I've got all my paraphernalia and shakes out ready and am horrified that I have let things slip this far. I now weigh more than I ever did while pregnant !

sammac Sun 28-Apr-13 19:36:25

For the first time since starting I've wanted to eat real food today- bread, toast, cheese- anything really. Day 26. Is this normal? I have and will resist but it's been hard. Lots of water being drunk, but I could really go something. Still to have my bar, don't want to eat it too soon.

Are you doing slim and save Sammac?

sammac Sun 28-Apr-13 20:12:19

no, lighter life, so nothing apart from the LL packs.

Bother sad

Well you know that you want to lose weight, is there an occasion that you can look forward to? Could you write a list of positives? How much have you lost so far?

sammac Sun 28-Apr-13 21:07:26

My size 12 jeans languishing upstairs is what's keeping me going. I'll be fine and this will pass, but I've honestly not missed food till today. I've lost 18lbs in 25 days, so know it works. I didn't want to say to dh so am pleased that you are all here to share with. Thanks scone for listening x

RedRidingChops Sun 28-Apr-13 22:59:43

Well I had a good day..... shake for breakfast, met someone for a first date in London! I lasted food-wise til 4 when he suggested an Italian place, I had salad with dressing on the side, and beef for protein. Was very nice, had mushrooms and courgettes in, not something I've ever put in a salad! And about to have a bar. I think that's a good day! Turns out he had also been extremely overweight, had lost a lot and still had several stone to go so he entirely understood when I said about dieting, was very supportive and had a salad too.

Tomorrow is official weighday on the thread, am I right? Hope it's the same or less than today!

thepatioislumpy Mon 29-Apr-13 10:14:33

'Only' 2lbs off this week but I'm thinking its probably because my period is due. I'm hoping to see it off next week and I'm refusing to get disheartened!

yawningbear Mon 29-Apr-13 10:36:07

Morning all, so glad you are all here!

Hope you got through yesterday Sammac, to be honest I think if you got to day 26 without wanting to tear into a great big hunk of bread and cheese you are pretty incredible. I am only on day 4 of S & S and noticed this morning that for the first time my first immediate thought was not food, it was an unusual feeling. Keep those size 12,s in mindsmile

Red, that is brilliant that you had a good first date and with someone who understands, and you had a meal out. I am going out for a meal in a couple of weeks, think I will have a look at the menu now and see if there is anything that will be ok. Hope your first day goes well Witco, I also weigh more than I did during my last pregnancy, I have put it all on it the last 2 years since DC 2 was born and it has to go!

Well I am day 4 and have not cheated, except for an olive and that is on the acceptable list for the lifestyle plan so hopefully not too much of a crime. And thanks to thispatio I gave myself a kick up the arse and have started using the optional veg, had the mushroom pasta with steamed broccoli and leeks yesterday and it was really yummy smile

Had moments over the weekend when I had to really restrain myself though, I think I eat an enormous amount of leftovers or stuff the kids don't want. I just Hoover it up without thinking about it. We were at a birthday party at the weekend and on getting into the car DD gave me a massive handful of birthday cake that she didn't want, normally I would just have eaten it without thinking. I just stood there frozen with a massivo lump of criminally good looking cake in my hand and then quickly stuffed it unwrapped in the top pocket of the back pack I had in my hands. It was the only thing I could do to stop myself eating it. It is still there, need to brace myself to go and deal with it this morning!

Hope everyone made it though the weekend smile

yawningbear Mon 29-Apr-13 10:39:14

Patio, just saw your post, it will definitely be to do with your period, not that I am an expert of these things but I know I am always much heavier just before mine. Definitely don't get disheartened, 2 ibs is still 2 ibs and it sounds like you are doing brilliantly, stick with it and I bet you see a big drop next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now