Week 10 - New Year Low Carb Bootcamp - The End is Nigh!

(449 Posts)
BIWI Mon 11-Mar-13 07:58:55

So we start our final week!

Here is the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness

We will have one last weigh-in next Monday.

Hope you all have a good week!

BecauseImWoeufIt Mon 18-Mar-13 17:43:08

middleagedspread - this Bootcamp is finished, but we will still be chatting until I start the next one on 29 April.

Here's this week's chat thread

middleagedspread Mon 18-Mar-13 17:38:12

Hi
I'm struggling with low carbing & one of you suggested I join, hope i'm not too late?
I spent years doing high fibre/low fat & find it really tricky to eat in such a different way. I've basically got used to feeling hungry most of the time & can't get my head round eating snacks & feeling full.

barleywood Mon 18-Mar-13 08:28:35

Thanks Black...I really don't think I would have stuck with it without this thread.

BIWI Mon 18-Mar-13 08:28:01
BlackAffronted Mon 18-Mar-13 08:23:21

Well done barley :D

barleywood Mon 18-Mar-13 08:05:43

8st10lbs!!

This is the lightest I have been since my teens.....30 years or so ago!!

Been on this WOE for around 9 months. I don't consider it a diet, just being careful about the choices I make. And when I don't have choices...no problem, I know I can recoup within a few days of being extra careful.

Sharing this with you lot has been invaluable. The inspiring stories, the encouragement, the intelligent discussion of the underlying science.

Not to mention the recipes!!

Thanks to you all and especially BIWI and the others who provide such tremendous support

flowers flowers flowers

prettybird Mon 18-Mar-13 08:01:28

At the moment I'm going through butter so quickly it doesn't get a chance to go off! grin

By the same token, I'm not too bothered about using the semi-salted butter as it gets used within a week.

MaryBeardfanclub Mon 18-Mar-13 07:05:36

thanks for reminding me about that Brittany butter mmm. I'm going to check out the butter section in Waitrose on way to work. You are right btw salted butter is tastier.

congrats jakebullet that is a marvellous result, well done.

i have had a strange few weeks on this woe: feeling hungry for the 1st time in months, sort of craving sugary things, 2 migraines (not had one of these since i started this woe), gained 1.5lbs, not feeling full of energy. What is up? It's difficult to diagnose as I get very broken sleep some nights and ds2 was teething terribly a few weeks ago - I had a week of about 4-5 hrs of broken sleep a night. I'm sure that has an impact. Also have not had a period since Nov 2010 - surely these must be due to return, am bfing a lot in the night sometimes but even so. Ds1 & dp are going on holiday next week, might try boot camp whilst they are away to see if I can get back on track. This thread is so helpful when diagnosing problems and for resources like the bootcamp/ubercamp/veg list etc, it's like having your own personal diet doctor! plus I am (usually) so evangelical about this woe its nice to talk with like minded folk.

JakeBullet Mon 18-Mar-13 06:16:27

1.5lbs not 2.5lbs.....forgot what I was last week lol

JakeBullet Mon 18-Mar-13 06:12:52

Well I have lost 2.5lbs this week so just over 16lbs in all. Happy happy happy.

And I found this - maybe he needs slightly less protein and more fat in his diet!

"Excessive protein intake on a low-carb diet could results in increased blood sugar levels. If consumed in excess, protein can be converted to glucose, a type of sugar, in your liver by a process called neoglucogenesis. To be successful at controlling your blood sugar levels on a low-carb diet, aim for a moderate protein intake instead of a high protein intake and complete your diet with fat. For example, your meal should usually not contain more than 4 to 6 oz. of chicken, fish or meat, and you should include 1 to 2 tbsp. of extra fat from olive oil, mayonnaise, salad dressing or nut butter to get all the energy you need."

spilt I am type II and was diagnosed in 2004. I haven't seen anything before about low carbing raising blood glucose. Do you know exactly everything he ate and drank for a few days? I know from experience it is eat to not realise things are as high in sugar or carbs as they are. I had an incident once after scoffing lettuce and a load of salad cream (just assumed it was like mayo) and had a very high reading. Obvs worked out why when I checked label properly. I've also bee caught out when things are low per 100g but actually they are quite heavy so nuts for example I can't scoff the lot. Milk in tea and coffee, salad dressings, soups not home made, balsamic vinegar and higher carb vegetables can also raise blood glucose without you realising why.

Can you get him to write down everything he eats and drinks for a few days?

timidviper Sun 17-Mar-13 22:41:50

spilt I have no clue on this really but it does seem that in some people low carb can induce high blood glucose readings. I have no idea why this happens but the only suggestion I have seen as a rememdy is to reduce the level of protein. Could your Dad be restricting carbs and compensating by having too much protein? The thingy I saw suggested 0.5g per kg lean muscle mass although how you calculate that is anybody's guess.

Have you checked sites like Diabetes UK to see if there is any relevant advice there?

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Sun 17-Mar-13 22:31:35

spiltthetea I know I'm not BIWI grin but I can try to help smile

I was diagnosed as a T2D two months ago. My fasting was 10.9 and my HbA1c was 9.3.

I bought a blood glucose monitor & have been taking my readings very frequently. My levels have come down to the 5's fasting and non fasting, if I get a 6.5 now I'm hmm and test again and it's in the 5's/maybe 6/6.1 an hour/2 after eating, but always back in the 5's 3 hrs after a meal and I've had 3 lots of 4's in the past few days.

If you go on the diabetes.UK site you will see a lot of others who have had great results low carbing.

I've lost 8kg/18lbs (most of it low carbing, but a little before I started).

What exactly did your Dad eat before he got that reading and what was his level before he started eating?

Thanks for your PM, BIWI smile

LittleFrieda you are so right. BIWI's pages over in Diet & Fitness are some of the best explained and easy to follow summaries of low carbing I have read.

It has been really great to start this woe, and DH is thrilled about the extra meat! (Used to be pile of pasta with veg, and sprinkling of bacon, now it would be lump of chicken, pile of veg, cheese on top!) We both feel better and look better, more svelte. I have become a slight bore on the subject in my circle of friends/family blush

thanks BIWI and Willie

BIWI Sun 17-Mar-13 22:05:11

blush

No, I am just a bit evangelical about low carbing. It gives me great pleasure to see other people benefiting from it.

Kiriwawa Sun 17-Mar-13 21:59:56

I concur. You are a very generous person BIWI

BIWI Sun 17-Mar-13 21:53:16

Thank you, LittleFrieda. I really appreciate that.

LittleFrieda Sun 17-Mar-13 21:49:37

I'd like to thank BIWI for sharing her knowledge of low carbing. I always come to the BIWI low carb threads for guidance. I would not have known how to do it properly without her. Thanks, BiWI.

And thanks to everyone on this thread. I will be looking for the new thread.

Have been good all weekend. <halo>

Also wanting to thank our leaders for the Bootcamp, all the resources on the spreadsheet, general availability for questioning etc etc, it has been so helpful.

In that vein, I have a bit of an eleventh hour question if it's not too cheeky (and BIWI isn't already on holiday.... "Mumsnet? What's that??!" !)

My dad, type 2 diabetic, not yet on meds, on the diet & excercise stage, has been trialling lower carb eating. Today he decided to test his fasting blood glucose, and it's higher than previously - up at 9.2mmol/L. He is sad and confused, as am I. We found this article which suggests low carbing induces insulin resistance.

Oh wise ones, any thoughts?

I'm reading the low carb breakfasts ebook linked earlier, and she says to use low fat/no fat Greek yoghurt - I'm assuming we ignore that and go for the full fat Total Greek yoghurt (can't get easily to a Lidl annoyingly)?

Also free today Clever Low Carb lunches and 15 Easy Low Carb recipes. Haven't looked through these yet though.

BlackAffronted Sun 17-Mar-13 20:23:37

Sainsburys peanut butter, basics 63p a jar and only 3.9 carbs per 100g!!!

Ruprekt Sun 17-Mar-13 19:22:49

<<twirls>> and bows at being bargain shopper!! smilesmile

barleywood Sun 17-Mar-13 18:47:54

I agree with Yama about the good finds.

I find the recipes good but would it be possible to have a shopping list of 'good finds' all in one place?

Trying to source things like best value coconut flour, peanut butter, mayonaise (been using the Delouise sp from Waitrose) etc.

Can't hope to match Ruprekt and her shopping skills grin

I'll def be on the supportive thread in the morning.... been a bit naughty and had some fresh pineapple blush can I just say tho it tasted bloody amazing. So Im expecting a gain tomorrow unfortunately, I didnt eat a large amount of it but it seems that it takes hardly anything to balls me up. Lesson learned, new day tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now