Feel weird after running

(21 Posts)
shitmagnet Sat 02-Mar-13 00:08:11

Any runners out there who can shed some light on this? I've run (very slowly!) in the past before, and picked it up again around 6mo ago. I'm not into too much pain, so started with intervals, then continuous slow jog, and now I do around 5km in 25-30min depending on wind - still not quick, but good enough for me. I like to give it a bit of a squirt at intervals. When I push harder, I sometimes feel very weird after running. Not dizzy as such, but rather trippy iykwim - weirdish vision, very buzzy, a bit sick, lungs feel strange (no pain). It makes me feel quite panicy, I really had to calm myself down today. I'm fine in around 20min. Is it just endorphins? I had this more when I was GETTING fit, less so now unless I push. TIA!

shitmagnet Sun 03-Mar-13 00:04:28

eek must be bad if i'm the only one!

BIWI Sun 03-Mar-13 10:02:03

Have you had your blood pressure checked?

Ledkr Sun 03-Mar-13 10:04:42

I'd get checked out before you run again it does sound like bp your body is telling you something

BIWI Sun 03-Mar-13 10:29:16

Are you overweight?
Are you running when properly hydrated?
Are you running in a fasted state or are you eating beforehand?
Do you have a heart monitor?

shitmagnet Sun 03-Mar-13 11:11:24

my bp is typically 110/70 & my bmi is normal. I let my heart rate get to around 70%. i typically have a tea with milk and something light like an egg before running. I am gluten free which helps with my RA. I am in good health, I'm monitored very closely every 4 weeks because of the drugs (bios) I'm on. I also swim 1-2km, trail ride and have recently started karate (which is the most intensive of all my workouts - I'm OK after that).

shitmagnet Sun 03-Mar-13 11:12:12

does it sound like high or low bp? I had very low bp when pg, 75/55 and I had to crawl around for almost an hour after waking. No issues since tho...

shitmagnet Sun 03-Mar-13 11:13:47

i also have a cup of water first thing, so before running. The run itself only takes around 25min, although I do sweat a bit (Oz). I feel fine to refill when I get home though.

BIWI Sun 03-Mar-13 12:27:48

Hmm. TBH, I think you should go and discuss this with your GP - it doesn't sound right to me. It certainly doesn't sound like endorphins - they are supposed to be pleasurable!

shitmagnet Mon 04-Mar-13 02:09:27

They're not much help unfortunately, just say I shouldn't be running with the RA (I disagree!). Thanks though :-)

AdoraBell Mon 04-Mar-13 03:29:52

I know what you mean, I had it today while cycling, BTW I can't claim to be anywhere near to fit and I know what caused it for me, but I would say if your GP says you shouldn't be running right now then you need to stop. You are doing other excersises that will keep you in good shape, could you find something else more suitable to replace the running in the short term?

shitmagnet Mon 04-Mar-13 05:56:35

The running is really good for my RA, I am in clinical remission (drug induced) so what the doc is saying is somewhat pants. I expect him to be conservative though, so respect that that is what he has to say. From an inflammation / synovial turnover point of view, it is in my interest to get my blood moving as much as possible - it helps to get rid of the cellular debris. I have an adapted running style, VERY low impact. Also, if I was in a flare, I wouldn't run.

I think I have put it down to over-exertion. Today I ran pretty hard (10.5kph + hills, not even puffing), but spent the tail of it walking and stretching. I think it may be getting back in the car after abruptly stopping running that may have done weird things with my bp. May be worth throwing a cool-down in there Adora, and see if that helps?

Thanks for your ideas all smile

plecofjustice Mon 04-Mar-13 13:11:42

I assume RA is Rheumatoid Arthritis? Is your remission induced by steroid? That might be significant, as steroid use can affect blood sugars, and the symptoms you're describing sounds like they could be related to blood sugar. If you're going to carry on running, I'd consider taking some isotonic drink with you and eating a high starch food - maybe a banana, no longer than an hour before you start and as soon as you finish, to try and keep your sugars more regulated.

AdoraBell Mon 04-Mar-13 15:35:28

I was heading for a cool down yesterday! Problem was I was out with OH and DCs and when I turned off he headed up a (small) hill and DCs followed. I thought, wrongly as it turned, that I may as well follow them and get a drink later. And we're in the southern hemisphere, it was near on 30 degrees C. Doh!

I hope you can find a solution soon.

Iggity Mon 04-Mar-13 16:37:43

Running 5k in 25 mins isn't slow, that's fairly hard going IMO. I run 5k in about 29 mins and feel like throwing up when I'm finished as well as dizzy etc for a minute or two. I'm also near max heart rate in the last stretch and probably around 80-85% during the race.

shitmagnet Mon 04-Mar-13 20:27:12

I'm usually closer to 30 Iggity, 25min is about as hard as I ever want to go. The time I was green-as the other day, I also finished on a hill, hard (was feeling good while running). So overexertion is definitely a factor I suspect.

plecofjustice, no steroids - I'm on a bio (actemra, IL6 blocker). I did have post-ex issues with blood sugar on a different drug (methotrexate), thankfully I couldn't stay on that one! I am also on a low starch diet (UCL starch free diet for ank spond). But maybe I do need come more electrolytes, even with just half hour exercise. Will dabble.

Thanks for ideas! smile

plecofjustice Mon 04-Mar-13 21:25:49

I understand (not a doctor though) that overexertion with RA can have a more significant effect on the body than in a non-RA person. I've got a couple of friends with RA, and I've seen them have a similar reaction to what you describe, even going so far as to faint after exercise.

I think it's important not to lose sight that RA is a systemic disease, affecting your whole body and interactions that occur within it, so things that don't affect others might affect you. It's really important, IMO, to listen to your body, and at the moment your body's telling you that something isn't right. I'd be tempted to take it down a notch, run a K, walk a K, drink plenty of water and electrolytes and see how you get on.

shitmagnet Mon 04-Mar-13 22:39:45

Good advice, plecofjustice. I have had systemic complications (heart/lung lining inflammation) in the past (pre-current meds), my RA is severe and aggressive, even though I've only had it for 2 years. I do need to try to remember that lol! I can still get all the benefits of physical activity without pushing like a greyhound.

QOD Mon 04-Mar-13 22:59:18

My running boss lady says carbs before running, so pasta rather than egg?

shitmagnet Tue 05-Mar-13 10:05:06

yes my hubby says the same. he uses dextrose which would be ok... just so... UNNATURAL <whole food snob>. i'll try a piece of fruit.

shitmagnet Mon 11-Mar-13 11:02:32

just popping back in with this interesting info
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/53776.php
i have dermagraphic hives due to the meds i am on, and have to take clarityne daily... but often forget. could all be part of it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now