Calling all Chiefs who Choose Their Hard

(978 Posts)
DoubleMum Fri 01-Mar-13 18:13:06

<faints at the length of labour and size of baby> now that is impressive.

Oh the sniffing of a small boy's neck with a sneaky kiss. That is heaven. Ok I'll add in that you 'kiss necks too'.

Yes, the free session, that is really useful. As are kettlebell group sessions or a bootcamp. All do variations on the same basics: squats, thrusts, chest, core, arms, back in sets of 12-16 with a bit of cardio between. I have found the results around my butt, upper arms and waist really effective. They don't have to be heavy weights. Though doing heavy lifts once in a while does make you muscles stronger.

Am going to bed vaguely amused at the thought of a free weights session with various chiefs in disguise to protect our identity. Burkas, superhero outfits and Hannibal Lecter costumes abound. grin

BsshBossh Thu 11-Apr-13 23:12:36

grin Tea. More due to shyness really.

BsshBossh Thu 11-Apr-13 23:14:52

Would BodyPump count?

After a quick google - yes I think it is another variation on the same pattern, same as the shred and Davina. Bodypump just seems to use barbells and big round weights rather than kettlebells, long tubes, hanging from the ceiling, hand weights, a weighted ball or resistance against your own body (other free weight equipment). It's just groups of muscles being done in repetition, in turn for full body work out. I'll see what I can find online tomorrow that explains it better than I am.

BsshBossh Fri 12-Apr-13 00:00:23

Thanks Tea. I'm reading that New Rules of Lifting for Women book and I lurk on those bodybuilding forums on MFP that all recommend heavy lifting. Do you go for the heavy weights/lower reps thing and if so would you say it's had a good effect on your body (look and feel)?

BsshBossh Fri 12-Apr-13 08:07:11

Morning Chiefs! Official weigh in today and have stayed the same for the 3rd week running. I think my body wants to get used to this weight for a while smile So as I'm only a few lbs away from goal I'm just going to let myself get used to being this new shape and size; try and enjoy it whilst still continuing to fast twice a week etc.

Well, today I'm going to try the weights at the gym today - dumbells and machines. I don't yet have a programme in place but I'm just going to try a few things - play a little. Will book a trainer another day. Really looking forward to it!

Me too Bssh I seem stuck 4lbs above target but I'm not sweating it just getting used to it smile

Enjoy the gym. Lunges are my favourite. I always laugh and think of Joey in Friends.

What's it done to my body? It's hard to say as I've cardioed too to just burn calories but there are three main benefits I think are down to free weights. Upper body definition - my bingo wings have gawn and I look sculpted around the upper arm. My core (ie stomach) does not look like mine - my hanging over tum has gone and I can if I stand right make a three pack appear. Jillian has been instrumental in tis one. i was doing too few of this type of thing before i watched the shred. My arse and thighs - which has always been my problem area look big still compared to upper body but they are firmer. I think if I'd just cardioed I would have been lighter but not as tight. In short I now look like a healthy toned woman not a short round one with nice ankles.

I still do not think this body is mine though. I think it will take a year, and getting through some crisis without exercise, for me to get there.

Lizzylou Fri 12-Apr-13 09:00:40

I have been reading the New rules of Lifting as well Bssh, I just need to pluck up the courage to go to the very male dominated weights section at the gym!
I am really starting to get my head around the idea that weights are not the devil and I won't end up fat with muscles on top.

I think I may get a one to one session with a trainer at the gym, it is free and included in my membership (council run gym though).

Oh it is nice to be using a proper keyboard, that tablet thingy is pretty but I am crap at using it!

Ah, go arn. The trainers at our council gym seem really good and know their stuff. They don't seem to beast you as much as some I've seen at some private gyms but that is a good thing and might be down to the client preference anyway.

I move my weights away from hairy men with big biceps and their grunting. I take a mat, a step, some hand weights and a ball and go into a less intimidating area.

Lizzylou Fri 12-Apr-13 09:51:21

OK Tea, you've sold me.
May go on Sunday afternoon as I have a party on Saturday night and I don't think I'll make Kettlecise at 9.30am!

BsshBossh Fri 12-Apr-13 12:11:28

Well I've done 45 mins of weights (after doing cardio all week) and two things: a) I'm incredibly wobbly now, much more so than after an intensive cardio session b) My shoulders are rubbish - I have zero strength in them compared to my chest, back, arms, bum and legs.

I wimped out and used only machines (plus dumbells for bicep curls), so chest press, shoulder press, pulldown, adductor, abductor and leg press but boy did I work hard! I think I'll stick to the machines and gradually incorporate more free weights - perhaps one new free weights exercise to replace an eqivalent machine exercise each week or two weeks. I'll see how I go.

Happy happy happy, I felt so powerful!

BsshBossh Fri 12-Apr-13 12:14:06

Oh forgot to add, I lifted heavy as the great NROLFW tome exhorts. So basically weighted it all until the last few reps were to failure (so something!) <hark and me and the lingo>.

Lizzylou Fri 12-Apr-13 13:47:55

Go Bssh!
You sound all empowered!

Well done you.

Cor. Feck me Chief. That is intense. I've only done the reps to failure twice ever!

Well done though. So lovely to hear you so pleased and happy about it smile

BambieO Fri 12-Apr-13 18:29:54

Bssh you are Wonder Woman I'm sure of it! grin I'm sorry I have blown your anonymity.

Seriously well done! Your dedication is inspirational so much so I am going to drag my hefty left buttock to the gym tomorrow (the right one works out ;) )

RandallPinkFloyd Fri 12-Apr-13 19:08:56

Blimey, The Chiefs will have to be renamed The Beefcakes at this rate!

You're all, so impressive, I'm in awe. I failed on day 10 of the shred blush. You'll be even more toned and beautiful soon.

<channels inner cartman>

Oh I'm toned all right but I still need to wear a paper bag on my head grin

<snort at the thought of leaving one buttock at home. I'm sure mine would cause havoc and just make a mess>

Have fasted today and am very glad as I've just found I've got another interview early next week so not sure whether I'll be able to fast and answer questions about me. I have spent the day learning how to write the chemical equation of crude oil (and all it's derivatives), learning about factional distillation and reading up on SAP modules I've yet to have the pleasure of. None of which are directly useful but interesting nethertheless. I'm sure when I was growing up I was going to write a novel or find a cure for cancer.

BsshBossh Fri 12-Apr-13 21:16:31

Fantastic news about another interview Tea!

My DH is a trim, keen runner and weight lifter. He's never had a weight problem. He's never articulated a problem with my weight, even when I was 15 stones. But he seems to be rather ecstatic about the way my body is shaping up and my enthusiasm for exercise! Tonight we chatted about exercise routines and he advised me on barbell moves shock. Then he proposed adapting an outside area of our house as a weights/fitness area. He'd get as much use out of it as I would. Hey, he said, we could train together! I've always been doing this weight loss & fitness thing for me but now I can see the impact on DH. And it's rather nice smile

RandallPinkFloyd Fri 12-Apr-13 22:05:57

That's lovely Bssh smile

Well done in getting the interview tea, good luck!

Lizzylou Sat 13-Apr-13 07:17:07

Bssh, that is fab. The couple who work out together......
Off to the supermarket before park run........

Have good Saturdays chiefs.

RandallPinkFloyd Sat 13-Apr-13 07:50:29

Well, off to the pub in less than 2 hrs confused.

I'm equal parts excited and scared. No idea how I'll log it all but I shall attempt some sort of estimate. I've done a proper fast for the last 2 days and I'll do the same Monday and Tuesday so that will have to do.

Off to cook up some eggs now, don't usually eat this early but if I'm going to have beer for breakfast I'm sure as shit not doing it on an empty stomach!

Wish me luck smile

BsshBossh Sat 13-Apr-13 07:55:56

Have fun Randall!

I am so sore today but will try and keep moving to stretch out the muscles.

Lizzy Enjoy the run - the birds are singing here so it seems like a lovely day - hopefully you'll get the same too

That sounds like the perfect day Randall - eggs and beer for breakfast - and well done on the last two days your diary looks very impressive.

And your DH sounds lovely and supportive Bssh - great idea to have a workout zone in the garden - it's too wet where I live (and my garden is the size of a postage stamp) but I'd love to have something like that that meant on the nights you're stuck at home with the DC exercise isn't off the menu.

Ahhh, post gym burn. If you do keep moving today then tomorrow won't be as bad.

The thing with all the interviews is they aren't converting to jobs. I am a little direct, and whilst it makes me good at my job, it can make me a little off putting at interview grin. This job I want because, whilst I'll have to be abroad for up to 50% of the time, at least I'm home some of the time so hopefully won't feel like I'm missing out on the boys growing up too much. I am going to behave on Monday. This is something to report.

Going to spend the day walking across London with DS2 - we're off to warhorse tonight - so will spend the day wandering around the sights before pizza express (his choice <sigh>)

Lizzylou Sat 13-Apr-13 10:53:11

Randall, have fun!!
Tea, day sounds lovely. Good luck with the interview. All sounds very exciting and exotic, furthest I go with work is Preston grin grin
Park run done. Was really warm. Which was a shock because last one 2 weeks ago I was running through ice in some parts!

If the postman doesn't play nice today I may be scouring shops for a rara skirt this afternoon. hmm confused
Blooming 80s fancy dress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now