Calling all Chiefs who Choose Their Hard

(978 Posts)
DoubleMum Fri 01-Mar-13 18:13:06

MrGere, not necessarily. In my experience, I've lost almost 4 stone in the last three years, people will notice but don't want to be rude by commenting on it. So you might get some "you're looking well"s and "you look good"s but not much else. It's only in the last few weeks people are commenting on my weight loss - when I'm actually at the end of the journey - and that's only because I'm telling them I'm loosing and what I'm doing. They then respond with a you do look thinner type comment. People just don't want to offend. Particularly, if your previous "size" is due to a baby. Not sure if that's the case for you.

Don't take it to heart. If you want positive feedback be open about what you've achieved.

But can I just say I think you look fabulous. grin

DoubleMum Sun 03-Mar-13 07:41:28

MrGere you could be me, even down to level of weight loss. Mind you I have to say even I can't tell where it's come off from in the mirror, it's a bit of a mystery. Let's just keep going, and sooner or later it will become blindingly obvious.
Forced by my DD to get up early and feed the bunnies today "because it's light outside". She'd better not still be doing this in the summer when it gets light at 4.30 am.

MrGeresHamster Sun 03-Mar-13 10:47:13

Unfortunately not baby weight, I was somewhat lucky not to have put on much in pregnancy and lost it during breast feeding. I expect my body realised I had plenty in reserve.

I'm feeling better this morning, partly due to less gin in the system. At least I (and you) know I'm losing the weight. ...and its my health which is important rather than vanity. I bought a pair of jeans in the early bloating stages of pregnancy which have been grown out of and my pre pregnancy jeans are getting decidedly more baggy.

Early morning bunny feeding sounds fun, but you're right small doses, you don't want to do it every morning.

Herecomesbod Sun 03-Mar-13 10:48:19

Double many thanks for the link, lots of threads to get sucked into ponder.

MrGere if you've been losing weight slowly but steadily it might not have been obvious to those who don't see you regularly. I think people are generally a bit reticent to ask if you've lost weight, in case of causing offence. I'd be tempted to tell people!

Am so glad this thread's still going strong, it's really keeping me motivated smile

MrGeresHamster Sun 03-Mar-13 10:48:21

Oh and Thank you Tea, that made me smile grin

DoubleMum Sun 03-Mar-13 11:01:08

I'm not going to tell people I'm losing weight until I've lost loads and it should be blooming obvious!

RandallPinkFloyd Sun 03-Mar-13 11:49:03

Don't worry about it MrsGere I've lamented about the same thing on here many times. I've now lost 25lb since this thread was started 7 weeks ago and not one fucker has noticed angry

I tell myself it's because I was so good at hiding how fat I'd got rather than the fact that I look no sodding different!

I'm going to stay with a friend from wed to sat this week so am going to try a sort of 5:2 type thing again so I don't have to worry about calorie counting whilst I'm there. I don't see her very often so there's no way I'm wasting what little time I have there by obsessing about dieting. The booze he food shall flow freely, I'll deal with the consequences when I get back.

RandallPinkFloyd Sun 03-Mar-13 11:50:11

(I should add, in defence of my friends, that I haven't mentioned a thing about dieting to a singe soul!)

SylviaDaisyPouncer Sun 03-Mar-13 17:50:40

MrsGere like the others said I think people don't like to say anything incase they cause offence. Saying that, I have said to a couple of people recently they look great and have lost some weight. Both were pleased someone had noticed. Just think how fantastic we will all be when we reach our goals!

I have had a few negative comments about losing weight, like "oh you won't ever get back to pre baby shape" and "you are older now so it's going to be hard." That's why I'm so glad I found you Chiefs, your support is fan-blooming-tastic!

Had a good couple of days, going to be a little meagre with the calories tomorrow as its ds birthday Tuesday so we will be out for a meal and of course, having birthday cake!

Randall have a lovely few days away, sounds like you will have a great time.

Off to do all the usual Sunday bits before work and School tomorrow. Enjoy the rest of the day everyonesmile

Lizzylou Sun 03-Mar-13 18:25:39

Lovely night last night, was very controlled with the pizza, not so much on the wine blush

DH has come home with worst case of manflu ever.

Had a lovely lunch for DS's birthday tomorrow, seafood risotto and birthday cake. We are all stuffed.

You are all doing amazingly well, truly.

DoubleMum Sun 03-Mar-13 18:48:17

Just had a lovely steak and (oven) chips, and ate too much really, I can feel it. Which is progress I guess.
Randall have a lovely time away.

DoubleMum Mon 04-Mar-13 10:05:24

Morning Chiefs! My DCs have left a box of turkish delight on the counter and it's calling to me. Must resist. Especially since one measly piece seems to be about 70 cals.

Tabbykat Mon 04-Mar-13 11:10:19

Step away from the Turkish delight! Am trying to be good this week as DDs will prob make some kind of cake and/or chocs next weekend for Mother's Day and would be rude not to at least try it!
Luckily a bit quieter with work this week which is good - I work at home and when deadlines are manic tend to reach for the biscuits.

DoubleMum Mon 04-Mar-13 11:24:22

Tabby I need to make a cake tomorrow, but it's for DH's work's 'Cake Wednesday' so I can't eat any of it.
I think the Turkish Delight is safe from me. I don't seem to eat before lunchtime anyway now, I'm not hungry.

Morning Chiefs.

I'm on cake duty today as DS2 is 11 tomorrow and I'm doing him a selection of cupcakes on a stand. And as Tabby says it would be rude not too grin

Fasting again today <sigh>

Hope you had fun Randall

Mmmmmm seafood risotto - sounds delish.

Today, as I reached a certain birthday milestone last year, I have been for a health check to see whether I'm likely to have a heart attack, kidney disease, stroke or diabetes. All the results, so far, look healthy - going to get others next week. So thanks Chiefs. My results are much, much better than they would have been in December. Interestingly I'm an inch taller than I have ever been before confused. Not sure whether all the exercise has loosened off my muscles so I'm taller but it is very odd. I will need to recalculate my goals/BMI as a result.

I think loosing weight is a strange thing, WRT other's people's comments, I'm being open about what I'm doing this time (I wasn't on the last slog as I was so embarrassed at my size) and I'm getting a lot of "be careful" and "don't waste away to nothing" when actually I could still lose another 1.5 stone and be classified as healthy for my height. I think part of it is, based on how I have felt when others have lost weight, is that when someone else is making the effort and getting results it really makes you question your own position so there can be a bit of defensiveness in other's responses. I also hid behind the same clothes for three stone and it wasn't until I invested in new clothes that people saw the new me ....

I have had a bra intervention and I'm a little shocked! By their calculations I'm a 30E .... I think I'm a 34C .... so I am going to do some trying on of new bras. I will be reporting back as to whether it makes me look thinner (after all it all helps wink)

DoubleMum Mon 04-Mar-13 11:43:36

Tea what is a bra intervention? I dread to think actually, given the age and state of some of my bras.

A group of MNtters who are trying to make sure that we wear the right sized bras.

It's Really Interesting

And, along with many others, I am wearing the wrong size. I'm off to check out the new sizing later today.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 04-Mar-13 12:35:34

I think my chest flaps are beyond intervention!

Well done on getting so healthy Tea, that's the important bit isn't it. I mean wee all go on about how we look but it's health that matters. I need to tell myself that a lot more often.

Randall feck that, it's all about how big my ass looks in a pair of jeans and whether I have rolls of stomach! Health appears to be an added benefit. <weeps at the idea of being skinny and tall>

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 04-Mar-13 12:52:47

grin

DoubleMum Mon 04-Mar-13 13:28:11

OMG do we have to change height as well?! What I would give for a few inches of height. At least half my boob size for a start. I shall have a look at that thread Tea but it doesn't make much difference when I inevitably find I'm wearing the wrong size as I can't afford to buy clothes until I absolutely have to which is hopefully because I've lost at least 3 dress sizes.

Lizzylou Mon 04-Mar-13 19:42:55

Tea, that is fab re: health tests. And extra inch of height.
I had my bra intervention 2 yrs ago, mainly due to mn. Went in thinking I was 38dd, came out 34gg. Makes you look slimmer though, better fitting bra.

Dh very not well this eve. Went to work but has come home and thrown up. Can't be my cooking. Oh no.

MrGeresHamster Mon 04-Mar-13 19:44:23

Oh I'd happily take an inch or two in height!

I'm with you DoubleMum on the clothes front. No buying till I'm properly skinny (or at least way on the way there).

DoubleMum Mon 04-Mar-13 21:09:56

I'm only 5"2 so if any of you who don't actually need this extra height could donate it to me I'd be very grateful. Imagine being 10 stone lighter and 4 inches taller, LOL!

dinkydoos Tue 05-Mar-13 13:54:33

Hello chiefs!
Still here, still 5:2 ing. Weight so fluctuates on that though, so haven't really been logging it on mfp.
But this is my 4 th week I have just started and i think I am around 4 lb down. I really don't mind doing it tbh, it's just so nice not to have to continually worry about calorie counting! Hope you all don't mind me extolling virtues of 5:2 on this thread, but really can't be arsed to join a new thread, and some of that thread can get a bit scary militant.... grin
Am on holiday in 4 weeks and really fancy some new summery clothes ( will be hot). Advice wise chiefs? You know, clothes that will make me look like Ella McPherson style mum, not haggard old mum....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now