Threads in this topic will auto-delete after 90 days.

March Diet - Need to shed a stone in 5 weeks

(170 Posts)
Moknicker Sun 24-Feb-13 15:43:09

Ive moved to the US and put on the dreaded New York stone and cant shake it off. I keep losing and putting on the same five pounds - xmas, ski trips, PIL visiting - everything keeps tripping me up.

I have a clear month till the end of March - no visitors, DH traveling so its now or never. Need lots of support to stay on the wagon. Anyone in a similar boat? What is working for you to stay motivated?

HugAndRoll Tue 26-Feb-13 12:25:28

I agree. A coffee sorted me out. Had quite a high cal lunch (ham sandwich but I use proper ham not reformed and homemade bread) but ofsetting that with a healthy dinner of ratatouille and couscous.

HugAndRoll Tue 26-Feb-13 13:56:46

Ds2 went back to school after lunch so I took the opportunity to shred this afternoon instead of after the boys go to bed. Feels good, day 2 done smile

Spamspamspam Tue 26-Feb-13 14:06:01

Well done! I am thinking of doing it but am very nervous as I have tried in the past and just hurt so much can't get past day 1 - WIMP!

I just walked for 4 miles though in just over an hour so not too bad smile

HugAndRoll Tue 26-Feb-13 14:22:34

That's a great walk. I must admit I have to pause doing press ups, lunges and side lungey things but I did better today than yesterday.

Moknicker Tue 26-Feb-13 14:48:19

Well done Spam and hug. Good to read about your efforts and it keeps me motivated.

I did not have a good day yesterday- ate loads of toast and jam in the morning so had to starve in the evening to keep to cal count. So ended up feeling really grumpy and have only lost 200g this morning - 56.5 which is still higher than my weight last week this time.

Will low carb properly today and see if that helps. Yes drinking loads of coffee/ green tea does help.

freeandhappy Tue 26-Feb-13 18:39:47

Can I join in? 11st 7lbs. I'd love to lose a stone by april1st. Signed up for Cambridge diet today and I'll start in the morning. I've never done a diet like this before but also never been so fat before. All around my middle-the most unhealthy kind sad. I might drag rebounder out of the shed. Does anyone else use one?

Kirstoll Tue 26-Feb-13 18:55:15

I'll join you smile but alas I am 5"1 and 12.6 blush. Before I fell pregnant, 3 and Tried today and ended up eating chicken dippers with dd just... I am full of support and good ideas, I just can't put them into practice!! Good luck!

Kirstoll Tue 26-Feb-13 18:56:11

3 and a half years ago that should read, I was 8 st haha.

HugAndRoll Tue 26-Feb-13 19:41:12

I've had my ratatouille and couscous and I'm still hungry. Bah I dislike feeling hungry.

Me too, I'm joining in if that's ok....I'm 11 stone 7 lb and really need to she'd at least one stone!

Spamspamspam Tue 26-Feb-13 20:18:41

Hug - have you tried low carbing? After about 3-4 days you really do start to feel less hungry. I will admit the first 3-4 days can be hell but after that it's amazing, my husband and I both lost 2 stone relatively easily 2 years ago by low carbing and more or less kept it off - I should have kept going but I was so happy with the 2 stone that I kind of stopped trying to lose weight and concentrated on maintaining. I put 8lbs back on mainly through pigging out at Xmas shock. My aim is to get back to 11.3 which was my 2 stone loss and then a further 7lbs if I can. At 5'7" and 10.10 this is still a BMI of 23.5 but I should be a 12-14 and look okay at that weight - am never going to be a skinny minny!!

As a starter you could just try not eating anything beige (apart from chicken if you consider that beige!)

By beige I mean, crisps, biscuits, cake, bread, pasta, potatoes, parsnips, crackers, couscous, rice etc. Also cut out sugar or sugar replacements completely if you can, no sweets, no fruit, no fizzy drinks etc.

HugAndRoll Tue 26-Feb-13 20:32:18

Having some Go ahead crispy bars and coffee - have now competed mfp diary so can't have anything else lol.

HugAndRoll Tue 26-Feb-13 20:37:41

Hi spam. I tried low carb before and it gave me the shits! I don't eat potato but other than that I'm a carb fiend grin. I know all the benefits of low carb and would love to do it but I was nearly caught short in work and can't risk that again.

Spamspamspam Tue 26-Feb-13 20:46:20

Hug - was that on about day 3 or 4? I bet it was....sometimes when you go into ketosis you get an upset tummy but it doesn't last long. You can also feel fluey, funny taste in your mouth, headachey and generally unwell but again this only lasts about 24 hours or so and then it passes and suddenly you feel fabulous. I have never met anyone who had the shits long term low carb. You also get carbs from green leafy vegetables so you are not no carbing just low carbing. Eating biscuits, bread, pasta etc just makes me want more food and I find cutting it out a godsend.

Zoelda Tue 26-Feb-13 21:49:09

Oh feck this is me as well. Im too cross to weigh but think I'm around 10lbs heavier than I shd be

And I've gained and lost and gained and lost the same stinking 4lbs about 25 times since last summer

Decided to DEAL WITH IT starting this week. Giving myself to end April.

Then will obvs get knocked up w number three and regain the whole ridiculous five stone

smile

Moknicker Tue 26-Feb-13 22:01:10

Welcome Zoelda,freeandhappy, Kirstoll thehairybabysmum

Have been relatively good today - avoided the processed carbs and had watermelon instead for my sweet tooth. The green tea really does help curb appetite. Have to do some exercise though - its raining here so will have to jump around in the living room after the kids go to bed.

HugAndRoll Tue 26-Feb-13 22:10:43

spam it was but lasted 3 days before I gave up. I'm on tablets which can affect my bowel movements (as a side effect). I have time off over Easter so if I haven't lost any weight or as much as I want by then I will give it another go where I can have a dodgy tum in my own home.

freeandhappy Tue 26-Feb-13 22:14:20

Thanks monicker! Apart from putting on weight do you like living in new York? Ive done a quick walk this eve about fifteen mins an am going to try to up that to thirty mins in the eve instead of being collapsed on sofa from 8-11 every night.

Zoelda Wed 27-Feb-13 07:07:40

Love the name, moknicker!

Moknicker Wed 27-Feb-13 16:25:49

Thanks Zoelda smile
Free - I dont actually live in NY - in DC. Saw the term NY Stone and thought it was more catchy. Didnt expect anyone to call me on it smile

How is everyone getting on?

Not a good day today. Despite being really good yesterday im still the same weight i.e. 56.5. Argghh.

I guess this is the plateau but frankly thought that would happen at a lower weight. Ive gone on the 5:2 recipes thread and made a yummy tomato garlic soup.

Moknicker Wed 27-Feb-13 17:59:44

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/a1647760-Id-love-to-lose-a-stone

this is a previous thread where the posters actually did lose a stone. Posting here to keep us inspired.

Spamspamspam Wed 27-Feb-13 18:48:52

Moknicker - you are probably best to wait a while before weighing smile I had a really good week in January and didn't lose a single lb so got a bit disheartened but we all know that weight loss is not linear and sometimes it doesn't show on the scales straight away. I am only two days in and although weight has gone up a lb my jeans already feel a tiny bit looser today - very odd!

Anyway I have had a good day - all low carb, eggs and salmon for breakfast, spag bol sauce for lunch and beef casserole for dinner - really need to up the veggies though....loads and loads of water but still could do better.

My biggest downfall is that I work from home and the fridge is constantly calling me, when I go into the office for a day I don't eat anywhere near as much as I do at home...so I have had the odd spoonful of peanut butter and the odd slice of cheese - really need to knock that on the head and try and eat three meals a day only. However I am only on day 3 of proper low carbing and I know it takes 3-4 days to properly regulate and stop feeling so hungry.

Had a good walk but had family with me so only walked about 2.5 miles which is no where near my daily target but it was fun, I always enjoy it when they come with me even though I walk a lot slower and don't feel the burn like when I stride out on my own.

Zoelda Wed 27-Feb-13 21:28:48

Daily weighing is evil. I do it but it can put me in a terrible temper. I haven't weighed myself in about 3 weeks and am going to try and stay away from scales for as long as I can. Then maybe ill hop on and see the magic number?!

Spam I work from home most of the time too. It's a fuckin ball ache keeping your head out of the fridge partic if you're quiet or doing something tedious.
My best trick ATM is green tea w honey.

I'm also only on day 3 so and trying to be super good for as long as possible. I did sneak a cheeky gin in though...!

HugAndRoll Wed 27-Feb-13 22:09:28

Didn't do the shred tonight as I do trx on a Wednesday but its a very hardcore workout so don't think it will hinder weightloss.

I'm going to weigh weekly. I really want to jump on but would be sad if I lost now only to put back on by Monday.

Moknicker Wed 27-Feb-13 22:21:44

I know daily weighing is the road to weight loss damnation but i am past redemption blush i.e . the most impatient person on the planet. So please feel free to shout at me liberally when i post my weight and then moan about it . smile

The good news is my zero calories noodles have arrived - will try them tonight for dinner and report if it is as vile as everyone says. Ive done my run and feeling upbeat thanks to all those lovely endorphins. I may not have lost any weight but feeling happier with my lot.

Spam, Zoelda - I have gone from working to being a SAHM which is very very tough dietwise. It's much easier to not think about food while working

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now