Is there a Slimming World thread on here please?

(139 Posts)
CherryPie3 Fri 22-Feb-13 12:36:24

Hi! smile

I decided to start the SW eating plan again after I fell off the wagon 5yrs ago...blush

Will be joining my local group next Tuesday evening.
I have tried to get back on the wagon many times but this time feels different, I'm at the end of my tether with it and I'm at my shameful heaviest.

My stats: (confusedblushconfused)
Height:- 5'6
Weight:- 20st 9lbs

Anyone wanna join me? Or point me in the direction of an existing thread? xx

CherryPie3 Wed 27-Feb-13 11:29:19

Oooh I've heard of that magic porridge! It sounds lush, I wanted to make it for today's breakfast but alas I ran out of mullers. Dh is picking some more up for me today so I might try it for tomorrow. I've been measuring out normal packs of porridge into 28g portions, that'll still be fine wont it? <hope so>.

About the crisps, it's still a mystery whether they're free or not. Some consultants are saying to syn them so may be worth asking your consultant and reporting back? I have been syning them as 1syn per small baked potato.

I currently have the SW Swiss roll in the oven. I fear it's gone horribly wrong! It's browning faaaar too quickly! And although it has filled my baking sheet, it still looks too thick to roll! On the plus side, I used lemon essence in the end and smells divine!!
I'll report back on this one.

Take care xx

CherryPie3 Wed 27-Feb-13 11:53:32

Well. The 'Swiss roll' looks like an omelette. I mean it really looks like an omelette. It has an eggy texture but an ok sweet taste.

I don't really know what to make of it to be honest. I'm not in a rush to bake it again that's for sure. It's the first thing I've baked that I've been unhappy with, and it's the first bit of 'SW' food that I haven't loved from the start.

It does look like a Swiss roll all rolled up tho, it looks nice. Mums coming today, I can't see me offering her a slice with her cuppa.

WannabeWilloughby Wed 27-Feb-13 13:58:43

oh cherry, shame about the swiss 'egg' roll.... I was going to try it but I am rubbish at baking, so I know id mess it up. Im going to investigate sw recipes for my slow cooker...love love love my slow cooker so it would be nice to try something.

Has anybody tried cooking with scan bran yet? smile

WannabeWilloughby Wed 27-Feb-13 13:59:44

Oh and yep, measuring out oats is fine, well my consultant said it was smile

CherryPie3 Wed 27-Feb-13 17:53:15

willoughby I think I will try it again but amend my method of doing things. I rolled it all up while it was still hot and I'm not sure I should've done... Will try rolling while cold next time and see if it makes a difference. Also will but use lemon next time as although it smelled lovely, mixed with the fromage frais it was quite sour - definitely almond or vanilla next time.

Liking the idea of slow cooker recipes, I did try searching but only halfheartedly, I love stews and casseroles etc so would definitely be worth looking into.

My food diary so far:-
Breakfast - 28g porridge, 1tsp Splenda and a chopped banana.

Lunch - scrambled egg and a wholemeal roll, 2tsps olive light spread.

Snack - small portion of pasta mixed with some passata/chopped toms and herbs. And half a Ringtons ginger snap biscuit (rounded up to 2syns as its 3.5 for a full one)

Tea - SW syn free minced beef hotpot. Smells good so far, it's in the oven smile

xx

CherryPie3 Wed 27-Feb-13 18:35:35

The hotpot was absolutely beautiful!!!
It made enough to feed 2 adults and 3 hungry children, I served it with Smash potato (as I believe that's free?).

Does not taste like diet food, actually tastes like pub grub in a way. Can't recommend it highly enough, it was really tasty.

Would anyone like the recipe?

picklepepper Wed 27-Feb-13 19:08:40

ooo yes please Cherry, sounds lovely.

Today I've eaten...
Breakfast: Slimming world cereal bar (3 syns) and Tea (no sugar).
Lunch: Wholemeal roll with chicken breast and salad, fruit salad, muller light yoghurt.
Snack: Tea and rich tea biscuit at training after work as I was feeling really tired.
Dinner: Chicken fried rice.

Having written it down, I'm surprised I've done quite well today.. I've had a really busy day and I'm soooo tired, I haven't thought about it once!

Hope everyone is well.

perplexedpirate Wed 27-Feb-13 22:33:20

Breakfast: two quorn sausages and beans that I put in the microwave last night ready to ding this morning - clever me! Did not share with cat this morning either. smile
Lunch: butternut squash and rosemary soup from the canteen at work. No wholemeal rolls left so had to have a white one as I was starving!
Dinner: wholemeal pasta and lentil bolognese with a muller light for afters.
Snacks: a banana, a WHOLE punnet of strawberries (blush) and one Thornton's chocolate (last in box, no more temptation there!).
Not bad, not great. Better than yesterday though I think.

WannabeWilloughby Thu 28-Feb-13 07:28:44

cherry, yes please post the recipe. I saw a hotpot dish on the website but would rather try one that has been 'reccommended'. The one on the internet was a slow cooker one which sounded lush.

Well last night I couldnt sleep....I was starving! Absolutely stomach growlingly hungry!! Im not a massive fruit lover (bananas, melons and grapes at a push), need to fill up more on free and superfree. I think I ate lots more bread than I realised and I am missing it too. I'll settle in im sure! Feel lots slimmer so must stick with it and I haven't stopped wee'ing (sorry tmi) but I researched it on the net and apparently you wee more when youre losing weight?

You all seem to be doing so well, it's a nice plan....just wish my craving for a big crusty wedge of bread and butter would go away!! grin

picklepepper Thu 28-Feb-13 07:48:53

Oh Wannabe please don't... It's torture! I love soup, but its just not the same without crusty bread and butter, mmmm.

if you like stews and things you could try filling up on superfree by putting lots of veg in them, or try making desserts more interesting with fruit... A favourite of mine is strawberries, raspberries and grapes, with muller light and a crushed meringue nest, all mixed up like an eton mess. Its 3 syns (for the meringue) but its really yummy and can be quite filling if you use enough fruit and yoghurt!

CherryPie3 Thu 28-Feb-13 08:10:49

Good morning smile

Busy day here in the Cherry house. Dh has a hospital appointment, he also has to call in to work, then he's off to Amsterdam. I'm working at 5. It doesn't seem much actually seeing it wrote down. But it feels like a busy day.

Just had magic porridge for my breakfast. I used a vanilla yoghurt with tiny chocolate pieces in. I found it a bit too tangy for my liking but not unpleasant, (does that make sense?).
I won't do it again but I bet it's lovely for some people, I'll stick to milk and banana in my porridge.

Well, I'm off to make packed lunches for my oldest 2 and then it'll be school run time.

Take care, will post recipe later when I get on laptop. xx

WannabeWilloughby Thu 28-Feb-13 12:02:59

Sorry pickle....I know exactly how you feel! How many syns in a tiger loaf and a block of butter....surely no more than 5?? grin

Today is going well...
breakfast: hi-fi bar and banana
lunch: chicken salad, half a bread roll
dinner: probably jacket potato with beans but might be extra lean mince beef with veg and some sort of sauce based on tinned tomatoes.
snack tonight: Cadburys Freddo (5 syns) and a Muller light

Hope everyone is having a good day and hope youre not too rushed, cherry smile

CherryPie3 Thu 28-Feb-13 14:04:51

Hello everyone, day not too busy now. DH has gone off to his hospital appointment and then he will go to work, from work he will go to Amsterdam. So I'll not see him now until Saturday night/Sunday morning.

I've done ok foodwise so far I think for how rushed we've been.
Breakfast - magic porridge.
Lunch - Scrambles eggs (I'm so varied lol) and a wholemeal roll. (This is my favourite meal! How simple am I??)
Tea - I'll be at work so it will be a jacket potato with lots of salad and watered down salad cream for the 'dressing'.

Snacks - a tikka mugshot (yuk!) and ha;f a ringtons ginger snap. 2syns for the half biscuit. Not sure if the tikka version of the mugshot is free or not? Will count as 2syns just in case.

I feel really hungry today, despite having eaten so much already that should have filled me up I intend to have a batchelors macaroni cheese too (in about 15mins in fact). That, if I recall correctly, is free?

Right, the promised recipe...
Minced Beef Hotpot
500g extra lean mince/quorn (I only used 250g and made plenty however)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped)
3-4 cups frozen peas (I didn't bother measuring, just chucked them in)
2 tbsps tomato puree
1tsp dried thyme
2 cups beef stock (using 1 stock cube)
4 large potatoes - sliced. (or enough to cover your stew)

1) Brown mince with the celery, onion, thyme and carrot.

2) Add beef stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20mins.

3) Whilst stew is simmering, preheat oven to 200'C

4) Parboil sliced potatoes for about 5 minutes. Spray a baking tray with frylight and lay the potatoes out on it. Spray again with frylight.

5) Place stew in an oven proof dish, add the peas at this stage and stir through. Lay the potatoes over the stew, doesn't matter if some cover the others. Spray one last time with frylight and place in the oven. Cook until potatoes are golden and crispy. (If you place a lid on your dish as I did, your potatoes will not brown/crisp completely but this doesn't affect the dish at all. I just knew my kids would prefer soft potatoes)

Serve with veg/SW roasters/SW chips/Smash... Possibilities are fairly endless here as it's a pretty versatile dish.

smile

CherryPie3 Thu 28-Feb-13 14:14:02

In case anybody would like...

Slimming World Roast Potatoes:

1 baking potato per person.

1) Chop potatoes into 4, leave skins on if desired.

2) Parboil for 10mins then transfer to a baking tray sprayed with frylight. Crumble an oxo cube over potatoes and spray with frylight. Add a sprinkling a salt and pepper to season.

3) Bake for 30-40mins or until crispy.

I made these to go with our Sunday dinner at the weekend and they are beautiful!! I made them in advance and reheated them so they weren't crispy but the flavouring was lovely - I used beef stock.

Have a good day xx

Those roasties sound lovely, am I right in thinking that you need to "syn" the fry light?

Muller light youghurts are my salvation! Shame about the aspartame!

CherryPie3 Thu 28-Feb-13 18:05:19

In the books and magazines it says each spray of fry light is free? So I have never synned it at all.

Mullers are most definitely a favourite of mine too!! I hadn't realised there is aspartame in them. Mind you, I'm not fussed really if help me slim down smile

picklepepper Thu 28-Feb-13 22:59:42

Well folks, I don't quite know what has come over me, but I've signed myself up to an 8 week boot camp... Oh good lord, I think I may have had a moment of lunacy amongst my oh it's a beautiful day, wouldn't it be nice to wear a bikini this summer motivation. Yikes! Wish me luck (it starts a week Monday... A whole week to lose some more lbs so I look hot in yoga pants. HA!)

CherryPie3 Fri 01-Mar-13 07:25:18

Ooooh pickle, I had that thought yesterday tho I admit smile
But I think my bikini shopping and wearing can wait until next year!

Good luck for the boot camp though, it sounds intriguing. Will they give you an eating plan and stuff?

CherryPie3 Fri 01-Mar-13 09:03:26

Well it was back to the delicious porridge with Splenda and chopped banana for me this morning. Yum!

I'm planning to have chicken fried rice for lunch, or maybe a chicken sandwich as mum has prepared some shredded chicken.

Really missing my husband, he's back tomorrow though. I ought to be used to him going away by now, he travels pretty often. I just don't sleep we'll without him so I'm shattered today! <yawn>
I won't be reaching for the comfort snacks though smile

Hope you all have good days xxx

perplexedpirate Fri 01-Mar-13 09:33:16

It all went wrong for me last night.
I ate saganaki. sad
It was soooooo good.blush
Still, onwards and upwards: muller light and grapes for breakfast.

WannabeWilloughby Fri 01-Mar-13 12:13:47

Pixie....I've never tried saganaki but have heard it's lush!!! It's Greek isn't it? My friend always has it at our local Greek restaurant...I always have something low fat for my main because my weakness if baklarva. it's just heavenly and I save myself for that!! Glad you're back on it today. Enjoy the grapes wink Also well done on the bootcamp!! I always watch Biggest Loser UK and each year I think...id love to go to boot camp!! Good luck.

Cherry, sorry you're missing DH sad My DH used to work nights and I used to struggle sleeping sometimes.

I've stuck to the plan, don't feel as hungry today. I felt a bit puffy today but that's due to the time of the month.

Hope I can keep it up this weekend and I don't slip up!! Weekends are hard because we usually end up taking the kids to pizza hut! Must be strict!!!!

Hope you're all having a good day anyway grin

perplexedpirate Fri 01-Mar-13 18:28:34

Oh god above, don't mention baklava! It's lush.
Saganaki is basically fat, battered in fat, cooked in fat. Disgusting really, but the taste!
This isn't helping is it?
blush

CherryPie3 Sat 02-Mar-13 10:29:47

Morning smile

Despite me craving comfort food yesterday I think I did ok.

My food diary:-
Breakfast - porridge, banana.
Lunch - 2 slices wholemeal bread, 2 poached eggs as some beans. Considering this was eaten in our local cafe where I would normally have steak pie with chips, veg and gravy, I was proud!!
For my tea I had a jacket potato with lots of salad and watered down salad cream, I also had an entire packet of bachelors broccoli pasta and sauce to myself!

Snack wise I had 2 Ringtons ginger snaps - 7syns altogether. I wated sugar yesterday and the 2 biscuits sufficed easily.

Today I have just had porridge and a banana so far. My husband is about an hour away so I'm quite excited. smile I really hate it when he's away.

Regarding weaknesses for comfort food/takeaways. Mines Indian without a doubt! Mmmm, chicken tikka masala. Chicken madras, boiled rice.
Might just have to cook the SW curry now to curb my craving lol xx

perplexedpirate Sat 02-Mar-13 11:54:57

Aw, cherry!
Have a great reunion. wink

CherryPie3 Sun 03-Mar-13 16:04:08

We did pirate wink

How's everyone doing? Thread seems to have gone a little quiet.

I feel like I've been a bad girl today with my food but I don't think it's totally awful.

My food diary today:-
Breakfast - Scrambled egg on 2 slices wholemeal toast
Lunch - roast chicken, smash, 100mls gravy and lots of veg. 2tsps mint sauce.
Tea:- shredded chicken breast sandwich maybe, and a yoghurt. Haven't quite decided yet.

Snacks: several coffees using sweetener tablets and my semi skimmed HExA allowance.
2 Ringtons ginger snap biscuits.

I have a question. If I have 4 slices of wholemeal bread in a day will it count as both of my Healthy Extra 'B' choices or will only 3 of them count, and 2 of them synned?

I can't remember!

How do you all feel about having a roll call on here? It will help is keep track of what we weigh, what we've lost, and what our target weights/sizes are. It's only an idea so feel free to decline, I don't mind at all smile

Have a good day everyone, 2 days till weigh in for me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now