Is there a Slimming World thread on here please?

(139 Posts)
CherryPie3 Fri 22-Feb-13 12:36:24

Hi! smile

I decided to start the SW eating plan again after I fell off the wagon 5yrs ago...blush

Will be joining my local group next Tuesday evening.
I have tried to get back on the wagon many times but this time feels different, I'm at the end of my tether with it and I'm at my shameful heaviest.

My stats: (confusedblushconfused)
Height:- 5'6
Weight:- 20st 9lbs

Anyone wanna join me? Or point me in the direction of an existing thread? xx

picklepepper Tue 26-Feb-13 08:46:57

Agh, I just wrote out a big message and then it disappeared when I clicked post!
However, essentially it was a big gushing message to say CONGRATULATIONS CHERRY!!! What a fantastic start, and a frankly amazing weight loss!! You must be so delighted, and I'm ever so pleased for you, well done!!
It shows that with some careful planning (and you sound like you've worked hard planning your meals) and proper determination, it really does work!

Yeah I agree that all the cheaper products probably aren't a higher syn value, but the message I think she was trying to get across was don't presume that alternatively branded products will have the same syn value of others, it's better to check to be sure before you just dive in and buy/eat. I thought it was useful to know as I probably would see things like pasta and sauce packets in other shops and presume that they are the same as Batchelors.

Anyway, congratulations again Cherry, you are my inspiration to try really, really hard this week!

perplexedpirate Tue 26-Feb-13 08:56:57

I haven't rejoined a group...yet!
I'm going to see how I do on my own first.
It really is expensive isn't it? I am finding that I'm going to the supermarket twice as often to stock up on fruit and veg, and spending £££ while I'm in there. :-(
Going to go to the market stall near work today to avoid that.
I eat lots of quorn, but I usually buy the own brand stuff. I don't know if that's free though...

perplexedpirate Tue 26-Feb-13 09:00:05

Hang on, just seen: a stone in a week?!?
That's amazing. You've inspired me!
Well done Cherry. gringrin

CherryPie3 Tue 26-Feb-13 10:46:46

Thank you pickle and pirate, I'm still havin trouble believing it. I really don't feel like I'm on a diet at all, and that makes it twice as hard to believe. It's very sweet of you to say I'm an inspiration to you, I don't feel like I've done anything! Thank you so much! thanks
I remember once when I used to go to meetings (way back then), there was a guy that lost a stone in his first week and it was the weight loss record for a first week in our group. He couldn't believe it either!

I'm baking a Swiss Roll today, hopefully it goes right! 2 syns for the whole cake so of I eat it all I won't have to feel guilty. grin
I'm waiting on 2 more cake recipes from friends too. There's a 1syn cake (not sure what kind but it involved cream cheese frosting (using quark instead of philly) and also a 0.5 syn roulade. Yum!

Pirate It's a great idea to go to market stall, it's often cheaper and fresher too without the temptation of spending on things you want/need.

Had my breakfast an hour ago, porridge with a tsp of Splenda and a chopped banana. Think I'll make that a regular breakfast as it was delicious!

Anyhow, hope you all have good days. I'll report back later with my food diary for today. xx

19th Feb: 20st 9lbs
26th Feb: 19st 9lbs

Right, I'm gonna be brave and make a comittment.

I need to lose weight. I am huge. I am unhealthy. I have just started doing Avon, and am in agony when I walk, even for 5 minutes. It's weird, I am not breathless - just lower backache, hips and knees.

I have been big all my adult life.

Tonight I am off to my first slimming world meeting.

I'm:

5'9"
about 24/25 stone (I'll find out tonight)
Size 28/30
34 years old

Wish me luck.

picklepepper Tue 26-Feb-13 12:24:39

Good luck Whoever, you're doing the right thing... I started to feel healthier quite quickly after following the SW plan, particularly with the increase in fruit/veg and water; and as soon as you start to see the results it makes you that much more motivated to carry on. Cherry is right, you really don't feel like you're on a diet at all, it's a fantastic plan.

Keep in touch, we can do this!!

Cherry those cakes sound really good, please do post recipes, I'd love to try them. I've had a little look at Slimming Eats also, so many great recipes!!!

CherryPie3 Tue 26-Feb-13 12:38:37

Welcome whoever, you'll get loads of support from us here! We're all this this together. It's a massive step just deciding to lose weight so well done!!

I reckon you'll love this plan smile

pickle - Swiss Roll SW stylee...
100g quark
4 eggs
5 tbsps sweetener
1tsp baking powder
2 x 1tsp vanilla flavouring (although I plan to use almond)
200g fromage frais
Fruit of choice or jam (2syns per tbsp)

1) separate eggs and beat whites until stiff

2) in a separate bowl, mix together: yolks, 1tsp vanilla, baking powder, quark and 4tbsp of sweetener.

3) whisk half of the egg whites into the yolks mixture then carefully fold in the rest.

4) pour mixture o to a tray lined with baking paper. Bake in a preheated oven at 180'C for 20 mins or until golden and cooked.

5) mix the fromage frais, 1tbsp sweetener and 1tsp vanilla together.

6) spread jam thinly over surface of 'cake' then spread the fromage frais mixture evenly over the jam.

8) Roll up and serve smile

If you use fresh fruit in the cake (raspberries and strawberries work well apparently) then I think this would be syn free as the syns come from the jam.

Haven't made it yet but will be soon hopefully xx

picklepepper Tue 26-Feb-13 12:46:11

Thanks for the recipe Cherry, that sounds so good! Are you going to use fruit then? Are you going to blend them, or just put them in chopped? And, can you buy quark from any supermarket? I've never had it, though I've heard it mentioned lots!

CherryPie3 Tue 26-Feb-13 12:46:48

Revised:- I think the baking powder accounts for 0.5syns so it would 2.5syns for the whole thing of you just use 1tbsp jam. Only half a syn if you use chopped fruit!!

Guilt free cake. Who'd have thunk it grin

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 26-Feb-13 12:55:33

meant to add this the other day and forgot duh - blonde brain grin

sw thread here but if you are happy on here thats fine, or pop between the two smile

fab loss btw cherry

picklepepper Tue 26-Feb-13 12:55:35

I'm just going to write down the recipes you've shared so far in my new recipe journal so that I don't lose them. The crisps that you posted, are they syn free? Thanks again Cherry, you're very kind to share.

picklepepper Tue 26-Feb-13 12:56:58

Thanks for that Blondes, I'll have a little look over there too smile.

CherryPie3 Tue 26-Feb-13 13:05:46

I thought those crisps were free but blondes mentioned that consultants have been advising to syn them. I've been counting as 1syn per small boiled potato. I don't think they'll be many syns tbh. I've had them twice this week. (And thanks for the link blondes).

I buy quark from Asda, tried Tesco but they don't stock it apparently. They'd never heard of it! It's a big 'extra' store too my local one. At Asda it's 72p a tub.

For the Swiss roll cake I'm just using jam and sweetened fromage frais, I would use fruit but I don't have any. I'd use strawberries probably too, chopped. I found the roulade recipe too but it's exactly the same lol, apart from you just add fruit and fromage frais rather than jam and fromage frais. That's it!!

CherryPie3 Tue 26-Feb-13 13:06:39

Per small baking potato. Sorry, I don't know where my brain is today! The spelling errors I'm making are unreal!

picklepepper Tue 26-Feb-13 13:13:16

Let me know how it goes Cherry, I'm missing a couple of the ingredients otherwise I'd be making it now, I could devour the lot right now haha! Also, will you roll it up while it is still warm? (I'm not much of a baker!)

I think I'll stay here, I'm quite a sporadic internetter at the best of times!

The really weird thing is that I'm perfectly happy in my own skin, me and my fat have a good relationship and I've got oodles of confidence. It's not even that I have a target weight or anything like that. What it's boiling down to, is that I want to be pain free, and I want to live longer - I'm doing this for the kids, and my future.

I gave myself a stern talking to today! smile

picklepepper Tue 26-Feb-13 13:33:20

Well that's a fantastic reason to do it Whoever, just think how lovely it will be for yourself and your kids when you're not suffering with the pain you have now. I personally am doing it because I don't like the way that I look at the moment and I don't like feeling this way.. I'm not feeling sorry for myself, but I am trying to look objectively at HOW it's got to this point, and WHY I allowed it to get this far. Slimming World is allowing me to make the first steps to changing things, and it encourages me to take ownership of what I eat, how much I eat etc, which is what I really needed to confront.

I truly I do not feel like I'm 'punishing' myself at all by changing my eating habits to fall in line with the Slimming World plan. Rather than starving myself and feeling deprived, I feel in control and content, I eat what I want, and I make sure that I count the syns (if necessary) and try to stick to the 1/3 of my plate being superfree food rule. It's a very sustainable eating plan, it's not a fad diet at all, just a better way of eating, and making better choices.

CherryPie3 Tue 26-Feb-13 14:02:19

Change of plan pickle I'm afraid, I'll have to make it tomorrow as I've been called into work this evening sad

I would roll it while its warm though, if its anything like actual cake I imagine it could be crumbly and crack if it goes cold. This could be different however, it's trial and error I guess.

Whoever I 100% agree with what pickle has said. Imagine how great you'll feel after with less pain! Your kids will pick up better eating habits too so all this will help them. I'm doing this for similar reasons to pickle, I don't like how I look and I don't want my kids to think being as big as I am is acceptable or healthy - cos it's neither sad
I also want to be able to shop at primark or next or Asda. I can't afford to keep shopping at plus size shops lol xx

CherryPie3 Tue 26-Feb-13 15:17:29

Mmmm, just cooked the SW lasagne for dh and the kids to heat up when they get home - it smells delicious!!! I've cut a slice for myself and popped it in a plastic takeaway tub so I can have it with a jacket potato at work for my tea. xx

perplexedpirate Tue 26-Feb-13 18:13:13

Righty, breakfast was an unmitigated disaster, a Thornton's chocolate and 3 quorn ham slices that I had to share with the cat. hmm
Lunch, I went to the market and got a salad with some nuts and feta.
Snacks were a banana and some nuts and I'm just cooking veg curry and brown rice.
I'd say so far I am 70% happy with what I've made, although DH sounded stressed on the phone earlier and I suspect he may come home with wine. Resist, woman!

PS, Cherry you are now famous at my work.
'A stone in a week???'
'Yes, a stone in a week!'
grin

WannabeWilloughby Tue 26-Feb-13 21:38:46

Just been catching up with all your posts!! Told you I dont come on here very often. Lots of people are joining us now. Be nice to have some advice from people who have done the plan for a bit.

Cherry....well done that's fab. You must be so pleased!

Cake recipe looks good too, I shall be giving that a whirl, alongside the sw chicken kievs that are in the magazine. if anyone wants the recipe then lemme know and I'll put it on. They look nice smile

Went to my first meeting last night! Weighed in at 2lb heavier than I thought I was sad but had a really good day and feel good already. Hoping for a good loss in my first week, trying mega hard. Consultant seems lovely too and really knows her stuff.

Think I need to be making a conscious effort to drink more water. Focussing on writing down my food plan has made me think about what I drink and its nowhere near enough.

CherryPie3 Tue 26-Feb-13 21:48:30

pirate I have this crazy mental image of you being forced to share our breakfast with the cat. grin

I think your food for today sounds pretty awesome! The salad especially sounds lush! You can resist the wine...you know you can!! smile

grining at the thought of being famous at your work LOL!! I don't feel like I've done anything at all!

My food diary:
Breakfast:- 28g porridge (HExB) with a chopped banana and 1tsp Splenda.

Lunch:- 1 wholemeal roll (HExB) with scrambled egg.

Snacks: toffee muller light and a banana.

Tea:- slice of SW lasagne. Didn't have the jacket potato in the end as didn't have time to cook it! Also had a vanilla muller light yoghurt for 'dessert'

Not feeling hungry, not craving chocolate or crisps or anything really. Really looking forward to banishing dh from the house so I can go on that linear fitness thingy again! No way I can exercise with him watching. Might go for a long walk with my toddler in the buggy tomorrow morning.
My Mum will be here tomorrow afternoon and she's staying for a week, she deep fries EVERYTHING so I have warned her she'll be on my menus while she's here. grin It'll do her good too as she's already had a gastric bypass!!! shock You'd think she'd know better.

Night everyone xxx

CherryPie3 Tue 26-Feb-13 21:49:11

Forced to share your breakfast that should read, sorry!!

perplexedpirate Tue 26-Feb-13 23:40:56

I confess, I had some wine. But, instead of random snackage I ate a quorn sausage (one less for breakfast) and a plate of SW crisps.
I put paprika on them and they were lovely. Even DH was impressed and he hates 'diet food'.
smile

WannabeWilloughby Wed 27-Feb-13 10:25:08

Pirate....I saw your recipe for those crisps. Are they crisp when cooked....would they be dippable in cottage cheese for example? Really fancy having them handy on an evening for a little snack. Im assuming they would be syn free?

Woke up craving melon this morning?? WTF is that about...its usually cake or Pringles ha. Had magic porridge for breakfast, it was quite nice. Our Leader/Consultant told us about it. You use a bag of porridge oats, like oat so simple, they are free as your healthy option. Mix in a Muller light (I had strawberry), mix in some frozen fruits and leave in the fridge overnight. Then it's all ready for you the next morning and you eat it cold. It tasted very creamy and because the porridge oats had swollen so much, I couldnt eat it all.

Off to the cinema tonight and im taking my chocolate and vanilla Muller light with me.....i can't trust myself to make a sensible choice when faced with nachos and popcorn and Brazil nuts and maltesers....<drifts away into a snacky food dream> grin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now