Ketosis?

(8 Posts)
nilbyname Fri 22-Feb-13 09:09:15

I have been low carbing, watching what I eat for 8 weeks now and my wee stinks, like asparagus wee. I drink loads of water (8 glasses at least) and it stinks all the time.

Am I damaging my kidneys with this weight loss plan, and is ketosis dangerous? Can anyone tell me what is going on, and should I go to the Drs?

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Fri 22-Feb-13 09:27:39

Did you do any research before starting this diet about what ketosis is and does?

My only experience of it is that my mum was diabetic and ketones equalled immediate medical attention (she died from ketoacidosis). One of the warning signs that her ketone levels were too high was smelly wee and breath.

Obviously ketosis may be less dangerous or something if you are not diabetic (I have no idea) but I would definitely see the doctor and stop the diet.

nilbyname Fri 22-Feb-13 12:55:19

I am very sorry to hear about your mum, that sounds awful.

I will make an app to see the dr and stop the diet

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Fri 22-Feb-13 13:27:04

Thank you, and I'm sorry if my post scared you, I didn't mean to but reading it back it sounds a bit hysterical, sorry! If you aren't diabetic the rules may be completely different but I'm glad you are going to the dr to check. smile

HeyHoHereWeGo Fri 22-Feb-13 13:32:08

A quick post from a non expert, but I think it is vastly different - if you do not have diabetes, then you DO have insulin, and so can cope with whats going on. If you have diabetes, you can have no insulin to help mop up the glucose etc
I think its totally different.
(just so you dont totally panic til you get to the doc)

nilbyname Fri 22-Feb-13 13:35:07

Thank you both, that does reassure me.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Fri 22-Feb-13 13:37:14

Thanks HeyHo for clarifying!

HeyHoHereWeGo Fri 22-Feb-13 14:21:24

So sorry to hear about your mother stickem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now