MOTIVATION through the power of non scales victories

(935 Posts)

All welcome smile losing weight and being healthy through the power of motivation (particularly on Mondays)

Reastie Mon 12-Aug-13 15:09:51

IMST sounds like lots of willpower at yours grin . DH ate a full size mars bar, snickers AND twix the other evening. That was just his evening snacks not counting choccie/other treats in the day shock . HOW can he be slim?! The programme was good - looked into all the major diets (atkins/dukan/weight watchers/slim fast) and how effective they are in the long term and essentially most people gain it all back after losing it. On WW apparently within 5 years of reaching their target weight only 16% are still maintaining (from memory). Made me a bit depressed thinking I'll gain all my loses again, but also hopeful as I think I've done it relatively healthy - just eating less and moving more, no gimmicks etc/

KatoPotato Fri 16-Aug-13 12:14:07

I'm still here! Sorry, I've been very tardy with this and MFP but I'm keeping at it!

Training programmre changed at the gym so removed a lot of static resistance machines and instead added free weights and functional training like powerbags, kettlebells and the bosu!

Only been once this week, and missed Sunday Spin, but lost 2lbs? This makes no sense but today I am officially a 'healthy BMI' hooray!

KatoPotato Fri 16-Aug-13 12:17:14

Just re-took the Global Fat scale, I'm now most like those in Spain! Much better than Micronesia that I was the first time!

Reastie Fri 16-Aug-13 12:32:31

kato yay for you still being here and the healthy BMI, that's amazing work. FWIW I did insanity for around a month. Not the full program but around 4 - 5 workouts a week. I lost NO weight in that time but then in the 2 weeks following that I did 1 insanity workout and 1 - 2 jogging/my own workouts and lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks, so when I made it easier I suddenly lost weight hmm . I read the other day when you do more extreme workouts (well, extreme to what your body is used to) your body goes a bit crazy and metabolism can go down to conserve energy as it's all a bit crazy. I think thats what must've happened to me and maybe you too? I did the global fat scale the other day and I'm so excited I'm Haiti and less than UK. I was fatter than Tonga when I started. I'm catching you up wink but still not healthy BMI...yet.... Oh, and I'm wearing your jeggings most days still thanks

I too was way beyond Tonga, that was the shock I needed to lose weight! I was fatter than 99% of the world's population (according to the fat scale anyway). Now I'm at Congo, thinner than 52% of the world.
Go Me! It only took a year of iron willpower (either that or a lot of the world's population ate all the cake I refused!).

Those 2lb are gone again, I think I'm really getting the hang of keeping it off. I don't want to lose any more weight, but neither do I want to get back into old habits and gain it all back. I think I'll be happy to stay between 8st 8 and 9st. That gives scope for foody weeks and lean weeks.

KatoPotato Mon 19-Aug-13 16:03:33

Prfft, my 2lbs off are back this morning! You pinched them IMST!!

Think its due to TOTM...

Sorry for sending my lost weight to youblush. but at least TOTM weight will go by next week. Keep on it, it's coming off, slowly but surely.

Reastie Mon 19-Aug-13 18:13:20

Well done IMST , so tell me, what are you doing to maintain? Are you still being very careful/balancing out good and bad stuff? How strict are you being? I'm going to get to that point (I hope) and don't want to put it back on! Oh, and how is Hair ?

Kato I have a slightly insane theory (that I know doesn't really work...but in my head it makes sort of sense) that if I lose weight someone somewhere will gain it, like the world has a limit of weight that spreads around everyone. When I gained lots of weight SIL lost loads of weight, so I had her weight grin . Poor soul who put on all the weight I lost grin . I'm sure the 2 lbs will be off as soon as you click your feet together and jog to spin class grin .

OK, fabulouso NSV today. Tried on one of my work skirts (going back to work in a couple of weeks) and it's too big shock so I'm now getting too small for my pre preg clothes officially. Went shopping today and got 2 size 14 tops, yes my friends, size 14 (this is great for me although I know alot of people would be starting from this point). Kato I'm in your blue trousers today and after a day of wear they are really loose around the upper legs/tummy - did this happen to you too? hmm (looked fab when they first went on though). Need some more clothes but can't afford them (2 new tops were sale and charity shop purchases) so think I shall be hitting the charity shops soon in the hope of something nice.

It's all a balance, if I am fairly active I can afford treats, if I notice old habits creeping in I catch them while they're easy to break.
Hair is fine, maintaining well, gaining body confidence.
As for your "global weight" theory, I pity the poor soul wearing my extra 5stshock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now