MOTIVATION through the power of non scales victories

(935 Posts)

All welcome smile losing weight and being healthy through the power of motivation (particularly on Mondays)

eightytwenty Sat 16-Feb-13 23:46:04

Have spent the day in bed after having (I hope short lived) virus - aching limbs, temperature, sore chest.

Felt a little better this evening, and hungry - scoffed some home made banana bread that Dh & dc's cooked, then had curry (though chose chicken tandoori and had small portions of rice and naan), followed by a small number of dark chocolate buttons from posh chocolate shop. Hoping to feel better tomorrow as sun is due to shine and really want to get family out on a bike ride.

Hpoe you are better todat eighty.

Got back about 1am, Gang Show all over now for another year. No cake for the Saturday shows either, and I only had fishcakes when we went for dinner, so there's some hope for at least a maintain.
Hair, that sounds like a great evening, you saved cab money and caloriesgrin.

KatoPotato Sun 17-Feb-13 09:23:41

Argh. Someone make me go to spin.

I don't have enough motivation for myself.,never mind any to spare smile
Go, you kniw you should

eightytwenty Sun 17-Feb-13 09:35:03

Do it! You know you'll feel better once done. And it might give you enough extra cals for a glass of wine or something sweet later. Always worth it IMO.

steppemum Sun 17-Feb-13 23:06:48

oh I am so excited. TWO NSVs today!!

wore a skirt to church this morning that I haven't worn for ages, it was too tight round the waist. I wore it, and I didn't even come home desperate to take it off!

Then I changed into trousers I haven't worn for a couple of weeks and did the belt up and had to go another hole tighter. That is 2 holes from where I started.

So there had better be some change on the scales tomorrow....

reastie Mon 18-Feb-13 06:48:55

steppe that's great grin

Kato a belated kick to get you to spin, and whilst I'm at it <kicks spb> - that's to give you some motivation on this motivational Monday.

Succumbed to rubbish yesterday evening - had been pretty good all day - went out to lunch and I had a cheese ploughmans but only ate the roll and 1/4 of the cheese on my plate (I took the rest home to make DHs sandwiches for work blush ) and the salad. Came over peculiar hungry in the evening and ate rubbish which included a fair bit of chocolate <sigh>. Oh well, I'm too scared to weigh myself for the week today so will hold it off till tomorrow.

Fantastic steppen grin
Reastie, its awful when you give in, isn't it? Especially when you've made good choices the rest of the day. That said - they still count, else your extra cals would have been more.
Well I have made an Important Decision. I eat far too much chocolate, as those on mfp May have noticed. I've been doing really well recently, other than the chocolate and its not good. There was one day I spotted where chocolate had made up one third of my calories, or something like that. Ridiculous. So no choc today and none tomorrow until my usual Tuesday night freddo.
Tomorrow will be fine, that's my routine. But I actually don't know if I can get through today. Anyway,, its MM so when better to try. And I owe it to myself to eat less Crap.

Capitals in Important Decision were jokey. The rest were my phone. I am literate, I promise!

reastie Mon 18-Feb-13 07:48:43

SPB re: your Important Decision ( wink ) - I'm a chocoholic too. The thing that has always worked for me is having a low calorie hot chocolate once a day when I'm feeling the chocolate urge. It genuinely does help stave off the chocolate cravings for me not that it works all the time . I also have a couple of squares of the darkest dark chocolate I can find after dinner to give me another chocolate fix. The higher the cocoa content the less fat is in it and I actually would struggle to eat more than 2 squares maximum of 90% cocoa chocolate as it's so strong and rich. I know this might not help you, but it helps me so thought I'd pass it on.

thanks, I might have a hot choc tooday (though I think that would count!). A lot of it for me is the texture and the crunch - I keep mine in the fridge. But I wnoder whether having a hot choc after my lunch might help the afternoon cravings? Might do that on Thursday.

Slightly dreading weighing today. This week contained soooo much cake, and cake is my weakness. My shoulders are noticeably more muscly from all the curtain-pulling though, and 4 separate people commented on my weight loss (one of those was a 14 year old boyshock) so I can't have pigged out that much!

Tobermory Mon 18-Feb-13 09:16:08

Good weigh in this morning, compared to last weeks disappointment.
3 more lbs off....woohoo!

This is a minor miracle as tea on Saturday night was Chinese takeaway and I didnt choose brilliantly, maybe Ill pay for it later in the week? But, minor NSV, was how differently I ate Saturdays takeaway and I suppose i mean, how much less I ate.

SPB and reastie, also love, love chocolate and would second low cal hot choc, i think WW is pretty good and only 40 cals when i need a sweet treat. But for me, I've just had to cut it out really for a while anyway. I find the longer its been since ive had some, the less I want it!

Well done tober on the scales and ns victories!
Good luck inst with the weigh in. How's your ds?
Tober I know what you mean about eating differently. It occured to me the other day that when I'm "off" the diet I wouldn't need to make salads to take to work. But then I thought about what I'd eat instead, and decided I'd prob still want to eat the salads! Making them is another issue mind...

Tobermory Mon 18-Feb-13 09:55:53

SPB, I dont know about you, but after all the other evening things.... bath, kids to bed, Shred, school paperwork...making an exciting salad is the very last thing on my mind!!

My DH is very good, and the salds he makes on 'his' days are fab. Mine....less so!!

Its funny, I was thinking the other day about when my calories are for maintaining rather than losing...I dont know what Ill do with all that surplus! Its all about habits those isnt it... i really really dont want to fall back into old ones.

Aaaahhh! 1lb on. I knew it though. Too many meals out. 3 this week with wine. I'm amazed it's not more.

I'll be ok next week though. I think Friday will be my only dodgy day. I dread to think how much more it would have been if we hadn't walked 8 miles on Saturday.

Well done everyone else. smile

1lb on this week, I'm disappointed but not surprised. It's the first week I've gained since I started (I think). Ah well, back to it, I'll shift it and more this weeksmile.

sad
Wow at your exercise though!

Sorry x post.

KatoPotato Mon 18-Feb-13 10:44:16

Happy Monday Gang!

I did go spinning, and it was fierce, but oh it was good! We then went for a 5k walk around the waterworks. Then went home for chinese!

A big shrug to the gainers, at least it's with reason and you've had cake and meals out to show for it! Nothing worse than a gain for no apparent reason!

Tober a big education for all of us here has been how we view takeaways and 'treat' food. we can still have it, but just not with the sheer regularity and mindless scoffing! You grow to look forward to it, and be mindful about it and the consequences!

I also look at my MFP 'snacks' section and more often than not it makes up for more than my main meals! Might try the hot choc idea reastie I am a biscuit fiend and yesterday iwent to ASDA straight after the gym, which really helped me to not put crap in my basket! I was still pumping with endorphins so grabbed what I went in for plus some stuff for two sensible dinner tonight and tomorrow! Makes a difference to going late in the afternoon with DS when I'm slumping and grabbing all the biscuits for a whole host of reasons (guests, DH DS) when I know deep down I'll be the one eating them!

Got a slow cooker casserole due to go on at 1200 so we can eat at 2100 when I get back from BodyPump!

Just checked, yesterday I has 923 cals, 495 if which were wine and chocolate. Oh that is bad

KatoPotato Mon 18-Feb-13 10:50:36

Impressive SPB!

Tobermory Mon 18-Feb-13 10:56:05

Kato, "You grow to look forward to it, and be mindful about it and the consequences!"...very wise words.

I am really starting to get that. In the past a takeaway would have been accompanied by lots of vodka, a feeling that it was too much, but a shrug and 'sod it' cos i was doing it anyway.
But now.....
Now feels different.

I intentionally overshredded `(by my standards) and under-ate the day or two before to build in a bit of capacity. I loved what i ate but i didnt eat too much, i stopped when i was full.
And after, only one vodka.

SPB...impressive indeed!!

KatoPotato Mon 18-Feb-13 11:02:29

Wise words eh!? Well I gleefully showed DH my negative net calories and squealed, 'oooh I'm getting CHICKEN BALLS!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now