MOTIVATION through the power of non scales victories

(935 Posts)

All welcome smile losing weight and being healthy through the power of motivation (particularly on Mondays)

eightytwenty Thu 21-Mar-13 13:26:01

So it sounds like you are already better at Zumba than I was - little hops rather than large leaps springs to mind. I was v unfit when I started (@ October 2011).

I did 2 lamposts walking/ 2 running to start with. Really didn't think I'd ever (EVER) be able to do it. Massive mental block. Have hated the first km of nearly every run, and thought there's no way to carry on. But somehow you do get into the zone to see you through. Would say that I haven't had that the last few runs however so maybe that is progress.

Must go and change out of sweaty kit.

Tobermory Thu 21-Mar-13 15:05:34

The idea of jogging, I'm not even going to type 'running', makes me very apprehensive. But Ive just eaten a packet of crisps blush and Im going to have to burn them off somehow!

eightytwenty Thu 21-Mar-13 15:56:34

I call it running. Proper runners would probably not.

Just bought a huge bag (actually several) of chocolate eggs. Danger danger. Note to self - give away most / all to avoid temptation!

I am nearly at my 1 year anniversary of all of this. Last easter I was complaining to my fab sil about feeling out of control and having daily chats with myself about being 'good' (which were always broken when I had the 3pm sugar urge!) We made a pact to sort it out. I started the Thursday after Easter - 12th April. No looking back since then.

Tobermory Thu 21-Mar-13 16:05:39

A whole year? wow! Have you changed a lot since then? I dont just mean weight, i guess i mean how you look at things/food/body etc.

I used to smoke and for a long time after i gave up i still felt like a smoker, just one that didnt smoke anymore. Now however....9 years down the line i definately feel like a non-smoker so something significant shifted somewhere. i hope i will have a similar shift to food/eating. Im on the way but still not entirely there!

Do you feel like a 'sensible eater' (the food version of a non-smoker) now or like you're a not-sensible eater being good? or somewhere in between?

eightytwenty Thu 21-Mar-13 16:40:47

Not so sure about that. Think I've still got potential for greed and will always have a sweet tooth. But exercise has become my number 1 priority for all down time and I fight to squeeze as much in as possible. I think (hope) I can make sensible food choices, have occasional binges, and still lose weight and get fitter / slimmer. But still need to watch my chocolate habit.

Tobermory Thu 21-Mar-13 20:33:27

Ok so I did it.
I went jogging, partly because I told a stranger, eightytwenty thats you grin , on the Internet that I would.
It was ok. Well it was hard but not as bloody impossible as it would have been 3 months ago.
I spent the time holding up my leggings though so need something with a tighter waistband for when (if) I jog again!

KatoPotato Thu 21-Mar-13 20:39:07

Well done tobermory!

Well done Tobermory!

I'm still here. Just lurking for a while.

eightytwenty Thu 21-Mar-13 21:28:41

Oh wow! Well done you. We are all accountable to one another, which is what makes this thread so fab!

Now you need to download either / both c25k & Nike run ap. first (apparently) tells you when to run & walk and the second tracks your route and speed - it's really cool.

Tobermory Thu 21-Mar-13 22:07:01

Thankyou all. I am feeling quite proud of myself.grin

Accountable, yes but also people on here are so open which makes it so much easier

I used c25k, it was on my husbands phone, but I only did 20 mins as opposed to30. I do have good excuses though, wardrobe malfunction and I didn't take a hat and my ears were icy. When I'd done my lap and went past my house 20 mins in I had to go in.
Need to create a longer route for next time.
...... Next time?! hmm

It's snowinggrin! I keep thinking the novelty will wear off, then looking out of the window and grin noticing it's still snowing.
It's like rain with party frocks on, pretty and delicate like I wish I was
One of these years I worry I'll have to grow up and be miserable about snow, but not this year!
Well done Tobermory, I know what you mean about the accountability factor of the thread, it got me through certainly the early habit changes.

KatoPotato Fri 22-Mar-13 15:36:52

Tober You'll have missed my post about my first C225K where I missed the first few seconds, started running like a loon to hear 'okay you've completed your ten min warmup walk, lets get running!'

By this point I was fit to colapse, it started pouring so i took sanctuary in ASDA to be told 'you're doing GREAT!' while I fondled the bras!!

Love 'rain with party frocks on' IMST you're a storyteller indeed!

Tobermory Fri 22-Mar-13 15:49:37

Kato I do remember that story about bra fondling. I now understand the warm up walk 10 mins. Hilarious....bot prob not so much for you at the time.
You ran for the entire warm up? Omg. I was feeling proud of self for running for a minute at a time!

Snow, I love it when I can stay in! Snow has been falling here all day, quite half heatedly now though!

KatoPotato Fri 22-Mar-13 15:59:53

grin Needless to say, I've not been back out since!Prefer the comfort (and telly) of the gym!

reastie Fri 22-Mar-13 18:03:18

<looks all smug> I have worked out the spreadsheets photos - you just need to sign into google/googlemail when on the ss and then you can add your pictures grin . I've just done mine. I can't find/do any 'body' shots so head fat will have to do grin

Kato I did a massive laugh to your c25k and bra fondling

IMST so how much snow do you have then?

Tober well done on the jog. Seriously. This thread is just the best isn't it? Honestly ladies, I was thinking this morning I would NEVER have got so far without you, I'm convinced I would have given up so many times thanks

Snow has been floating down all day, so obviously there is....

None at allhmm.
It seems to get an inch from the ground and vanish mysteriously!
The Manchester snow shield is out in force again.

Tobermory Fri 22-Mar-13 21:38:30

Imst, that's because you're on the wrong side of the Pennines! wink

eightytwenty Fri 22-Mar-13 21:58:51

Reastie - so you have to sign up for gmail? Right will have a look when I get a chance. Btw stil chuckle at bra fondling second time round.

No snow but article wind. V v cold children on end of term Easter egg hunt.

I am proud of completing 3rd run of week, which I did in 7:21/ km time (in jan and feb my average was more like 7:47). And then lots of arm work in swim class. Small amount of choc eggs consumed but within sensible limits and have eaten healthy meals too.

Have a good weekend all. X.

reastie Sat 23-Mar-13 06:16:14

yes eighty, I have a g mail account (but have never used it!)

still feeling rubbish here and exhausted after sleeping very badly too, so no shred today sad

reastie Mon 25-Mar-13 07:41:23

Morning everyone this motivational monday. I'm feeling tip top motivated today. Lost 2 lbs and hit 5 stone loss now grin . Just tried on all of my pre preg dresses and they ALL do up. Some fit nicely and some still a bit too tight to get away with. Odd thing is my boobs seem to have grown since pre preg as dresses are all too tight in this area when it fits elsewhere. It means most of my pre preg tops are still too tight. I guess is one area of me had to be bigger than pre preg this would be an OK area to increase in wink . Also, today I wear a size 14 pre preg pair of jeans [proud] . I think it might be a fluke sizing as I also have a size 16 pre preg pair of jeans which are still too tight, but I'm wearing with pride!

Sorry for self boasting post here blush Im just so pleased. I never ever thought I'd ever get back here again. This time last year I was a size 22, now I've got size 14 jeans on even if the size of them is freakishly large for a 14 grin

KatoPotato Mon 25-Mar-13 08:07:35

reastie that's tremendous! Five stone is staggering! You've done an amazing job despite lots of factors out of your control but you've stuck at it!

Well done you! You've certainly motivated me to try harder this week!

Tobermory Mon 25-Mar-13 09:42:12

Well done, Reastie that is just amazing. 5 stone...wow!
I think you are completely entitled to at least one SB post after all tht hard work, maybe even sneak in a second later today! wink

Walk around with your label sticking out to let the world know you're a 14!!

Monday again, weigh in time.
I've maintained this week, hopefully this is the beginning of the end of my weight loss, I don't really want to go below 9st, I might blow away in this unending cold wind!
How is everyone else doing?

Tobermory Mon 25-Mar-13 10:59:27

I was 0.5 lb down. It isn't marvellous but probably a reflection of my falling off the wagon, i bought chocolates yesterday - and ate many of them blush
Were it not for Zumba and jogging hmm I'd have probably gone up!

That takes me to the very boundary of a healthy bmi, 25. Anything e,se I lose makes a 'healthy' bmi.
So I'm on the wagon.
One more stone before summer is my goal.

Ilovesunflowers Mon 25-Mar-13 11:14:36

I fit into my size 18 trousers today! Bit of a squeeze but still good for me! I lost 3.5 lbs last week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now