The 5:2 Diet - am I doing it right ?

(15 Posts)
WithASpider Wed 20-Feb-13 18:26:03

Sorry, am LadyLaMer under an Izzard NC!

WithASpider Wed 20-Feb-13 18:24:39

I'm struggling this week because it's half term, and i find it really hard not to nibble when i'm making food for the DCs!

I've lost 7lb now and am down 3 inches on my waist.

Fast days are getting easier! grin

Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 15-Feb-13 20:38:24

Hi thanks again for the replies !

Fast day today and I'm bloody starving sad but strangely not craving anything hmm

I've upped my calorie intake on non fast days .
I don't think I've lost much yet but it's still early days .

I'm hoping this works as I love not having to deprive myself on non fast days .

Ezzza Fri 15-Feb-13 09:05:28

That's true Snowkey, I do do 4:3 rather than 5:2. I actually started out on ADF for the first three months or so. I think that's probably a better option than restricting non-fast day calories too far below TDEE.

When I said I've been doing it for 5 months, to clarify, I was referring to intermittent fasting rather than specifically 5:2. I started out on ADF because when I started I hadn't seen the horizon program and so didn't know 5:2 was an option. By the time I'd heard of 5:2 I was already into the swing of it so just dropped to 4:3 so that I could have regular fasting days each week. That said, I am sure I would still lose weight on 5:2 without calorie counting because the fasts have stopped me from wanting to over eat so I don't gain weight on non-fast days.

The reason I don't is to avoid feeling deprived or that I'm 'not allowed' something, which feeling is guaranteed to make me give up. Given a choice between 5:2 and calorie counting on non-fast days or 4:3 with no calorie counting on non-fast days I personally prefer the latter. But I think there are many on the main thread who've lost weight on 5:2 without bothering to calorie count on non-fast days.

Of course, that's just my personal experience. Others do respond differently to this way of eating, and many do find it helpful to monitor their intake on non-fast days to make sure they're not under or over eating.

frenchfancy Fri 15-Feb-13 07:06:10

incy I agree with the others you need to up your normal day calories. Partly because otherwise this would be VERY difficult to stick to long term, and this is not a quick fix. Losing weight gradually whilst eating normally (ie normal for a normal person, not necessarily normal for you that got you here in the first place) is the aim as that way the weigh STAYS off.

lady Don't let embarrassment stop you from going swimming. If you have got 4-5 stone to lose then your health is at risk. You have made the first step in doing something about it, keep going. You will be far more embarrassed if you end up with long term health issues because you didn't.

Feeling a bit like an evil trainer this morning. I guess we could all do with some tough love sometimes.

Snowkey Fri 15-Feb-13 06:26:12

Ezzza I thought you fasted 3 days a week rather than 5:2? The OP could fast another day to reduce weekly calorie intake, if 5:2 doesn't shift those pounds.

Ezzza Fri 15-Feb-13 05:45:09

Almost, but not quite Inseywinseyupthespout. Your fast days sound ok, but 1000 kcal on your normal eating days is not enough. Normal eating is, as it sounds, the amount of food you need to eat each day in order to maintain your body weight. The weight loss comes from the fast days, you don't need to diet on your normal eating days.

I have been doing it for 5 months and have not counted one single calorie on normal eating days. I've lost 26 pounds so far.

If you want a guideline number of calories to stick to on normal eating days then follow the link in the OP of the latest 5:2 thread to work out your TDEE (all is explained in that OP).

Do also take some time to read that OP and follow some of the links as it has all you need to know... and do come and join in the chat with us. We're a very friendly bunch. grin

Inseywinseyupthespout Tue 12-Feb-13 20:51:12

That's great - I rarely find time to exercise but have started this week to fit in 20 mins of Zumba at 6am ! So I'm pleased if I can't do it one morning , that no exercise won't have an affect .

I'm looking forward to trying this WOE

LadyLaMer Tue 12-Feb-13 20:48:05

Fast days do get easier, i don't feel like i want to eat my own arm anymore! Soups are my friends too. I use MyFitnessPal to help track my calories.

I don't do much extra exersise, walk a bit, shovel the snow off the drive! I plan to go swimming a couple of times a week once i've hit my first stone, I'm too embarrassed to be seen in a costume at the moment.

I have 4-5 stone to shift.

Inseywinseyupthespout Tue 12-Feb-13 19:51:12

Wow that's fantastic ! I have 4 stone to lose .

Are you exercising as well or not ?

Do the fast days get easier ?

I'm amazed you can still eat and lose that much weight grin

LadyLaMer Tue 12-Feb-13 19:48:22

Yup! DH has been sticking to 2000 calories on his normal days, and me 1800, but he's got about 7 stone to lose.

(oh, yesterday was day 1 of week 3!) grin

Inseywinseyupthespout Tue 12-Feb-13 19:45:10

ladylamer that's amazing ! 6lb and 16lb in 3 weeks ???

Is that just off eating normally and fasting for 2 days ?

I hope I drop as quickly ! grin

Thanks chocco never thought of the omega 3 - will definately get some of that .

LadyLaMer Tue 12-Feb-13 19:39:13

You need to be eating at least 1200 calories on the 'normal' days, any fewer and your body will be fasting anyway. Make sure the fasting days are not consecutive.

Me and DH are on week 3, i've lost 6lb and DH has lost 16!

chocoluvva Tue 12-Feb-13 19:23:19

Blimey, if you don't lose weight on that regime I'll be amazed!

You can eat normally on the normal days (within reason). Drink lots of green tea and make sure you have plenty of omega 3 (fish oil or veg alternative).

Inseywinseyupthespout Tue 12-Feb-13 18:33:28

Ok so I'm just wondering if this sounds right :

I'm averaging about 1000 calories per day on normal eating days with about 20 mins if Zumba thrown in if I get time .

Fast days , I tend to save my 500 cal meal for tea time ish and at the minute this is a cheese or tuna sandwich with a bag of wotsits blush

Exercise works out about 3 times per week - 20 mins of Zumba .

It's my first week. Am I doing this right ?

Most importantly - when should I start seeing those pounds drop off ?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now