Myfitnesspal.com support thread 6!!!

(714 Posts)

A thread for all those wanting support and advice for using mfp website and app. Welcome to everyone new and those of us that have been around a while hmm

Pinkglow Thu 14-Feb-13 10:49:40

Added loads of the newbies (although I'm abit of a newbie myself)

Its great when you can see what other ppl have done. DH doing lots of late shifts this week so I cant get to the gym and have been doing Jillian Michaels instead, I brought her box set off Amazon yonks ago and have been doing that.

Anyone have a target like a holiday? I'm going on holiday at the end of april with my family so I'm treating that as a mini target.

Welcome all new comers.

Right who wants to queue up and give me a big kick up the backside.

I've almost complete fallen of the wagon. Since Christmas I've had one thing after another with children (being ill, broken arms ect) and snow days. I just can't seem to be able to get back onto doing exercise and eating properly.

Lissyfrog Thu 14-Feb-13 12:04:47

Hi wheredidiputit
Consider yrself kicked !!! And one more for luck ;-) x I think we all fall off from time to time but the main thing is u get back on and u have made the 1st step today x so well done x

R u on MFP ? If so is yr name same as on here and I will add u ?

twinkle183 Thu 14-Feb-13 12:21:33

Morning ladies....

I am so glad that I am not the only one but I do suffer after I have stressed ate!! IBS is playing havoc this morning..... confused

wheredidiput big kick from me too!!! Did insanity fit test yesterday off to do plyo shortly if I can manage to stay away from the loo long enough... smile!!

Come on ladies we can do it!!! Xxx

I know I can do it. I've lost 30lb since July last year. I've just got to get on with it. I may leave it next week as it's half term, and just try to eat healthly and do as much activity as possible (weather permitting).

My username is power1969 on MFP.

WiseKneeHair Thu 14-Feb-13 13:12:18

where KICK, although a break between losing weight is supposed to be a good thing, so if you have managed to maintain(ish) the 30lb loss, which is superb by the way, then getting back on track should give good results.
floot I couldn't see your diary. Happy to look at non-weird dairies, too.
pink I'm going on holiday at the beginning of April which I may have mentioned once or twice already and want to lose another 10lbs by then, although I'd be reasonably happy with 7lbs.
Lissy shred is high impact, so won't be any good for you. Have you looked at Taebo? I think that is supposed to be low impact - ask on MFP, I know a few people do it.
Twinkle yes, I'm definitely an emotional eater, too. I am trying to listen to my body and differentiate between when I want to eat because I am hungry and when I want to eat because I am stressed/ tired/bored. I agree with cinnamon that I think it'll always be a battle, but one I am getting better at.
It help me to prolog as much of my food as possible, then I know how many calories I have, or don't have, left.

flootshoot Thu 14-Feb-13 14:39:26

Should have made my diary public now. Indian takeaway tonight- I shall be on the tandoori chicken and okra, no rice or naan for me!

Jemster Thu 14-Feb-13 18:13:56

I've heard a lot of people talk about MFP but how exactly does it work? I am struggling to lose babyweight 10 months post baby. Want to lose about a stone and a half. I struggle to think up meal ideas and snacks to help me lose weight and never seem to find time to exercise but I really want to try harder now. Is MFP quite straightforward to follow? Thanks

LalyRawr Thu 14-Feb-13 19:19:40

Jemster all MFP is, is counting calories. Log every calorie you eat and try to come under your target!

Speaking of, I am now 47 calories over my target today, so must so some exercise this evening!

mrsnec Thu 14-Feb-13 22:08:41

Hello everyone just checking in again. Not much to report here. Jemster I am finding MFP useful in other areas too apart from calorie counting. I like the support that goes without saying but I also like how it breaks things down into food groups so you can see where you're going wrong or help you decide what to have as a snack if you have cals left over. I also like the fact that there are a lot of popular low cal recipes in the database. Good luck!

Lissyfrog Fri 15-Feb-13 06:27:12

Jemster big welcome to u x I love MFP but it can become very addictive in a good way x think I spend most of my time looking at what others have had to eat ( not in a stalkerish way might add) but for low cal snacks and eve meals x I have an iPhone so if u wanna log something u can scan the packet and it adds all the info to yr diary x

Not only does it teach u the calorie value of every thing which u pick up quickly it teaches u portion control which has always been where a slip up having done slimming world where u have loads of what they call free foods x no food is free x I and all the others log everything from glasses of water to main meal x once u have signed up u will b able to look at what others eat and that helps a lot x another good app is be food smart x it's free and has low cal meals for every time of day and snacks x

If u need any help getting started and setting up then post on here and someone will answer x but if I can do it anyone can ;) x

DoubleMum Fri 15-Feb-13 07:36:57

Wise I'm on hol at the beginning of April too, on a cruise so quite scared of myself being let loose among all that food!

mrsnec Fri 15-Feb-13 08:26:41

That sounds lovely. Where are you off to DoubleMum? I want to go on a cruise too! Jemster that is a really good point about MFP and portion control. I was quite a healthy eater, don't drink much, never have junk, always cook from scratch yet still at least 2.5 stone overweight probably more. Not an emotional eater either so portion control is my only issue. I notice a few people pre-logging. I think that's a great idea. I shall be doing more of that. Think holidays are difficult. I'm going to Venice tomorrow. Wish me and my willpower good luck!

DoubleMum Fri 15-Feb-13 09:48:00

It's in the Med, got into cruises through Clubcard points, it was a bit of a shock to have to pay for it and unlikely to happen again so I want to make the most of it. The first cruise we went on called at Venice, 'twas lovely. Good luck and have a fantastic time!
I think I have multiple issues - eating bad stuff, portion control, emotional eating, feeding frenzies - all of them and that's why I have so very much to lose. Also if you've never been thin - ie overweight since childhood - you don't have anything to hold on to IYSWIM.

Lissyfrog Fri 15-Feb-13 12:30:32

I'm in the same boat double !!!!! Think I was thin ish when I was 18 but had always been a chubby kid x now 43 so that was many moons ago sad may b I should change name to doublelissy ???? We will get there in the end hun x

mrsnec Fri 15-Feb-13 12:54:09

Yes definately make the most of the cruise then. I'm going to be as careful as I can. I'm mindful that a few All Inclusive holidays may have helped me get where I am. Must tell myself I don't need 5 puddings! I haven't been really thin since my 20's. I was at my smallest when I was at uni but I was huge as a child. I can't pinpoint exactly when I gained and lost weight and I wasn't even that happy when I was thin. It's ok thinking like that though as it makes the health aspect the focus for me.

WiseKneeHair Fri 15-Feb-13 13:00:03

Hi Jemster I agree with what everyone else has said about MFP. I have found it really helpful in many ways. If you join, let us know your username and we will friend you, it's like having your own cheer leading group, it's great for motivation.
Double that sounds lovely, although I get seasick, so have always been wary of cruises. We have a villa in Lanzarote for a week, as self catering I will have a bit more control over the food, but I don't intend cooking much and a week off is fine as long as you get back on the wagon afterwards.
mrsnec that sounds lovely. Enjoy your weekend away, very jealous.
floot I can stalk you now grin

flootshoot Fri 15-Feb-13 13:44:00

<disclaimer> I had an apple Danish for breakfast. Friday is bakery day in our house, I bloody love apple Danishes. However I should point out I've gone from having about four a week as snacks to having one a week to replace a meal. So it looks bad on paper but I'm actually quite proud of my restraint grin. Going out to Giraffe for dinner tonight, any low calorie suggestions?

Afternoon everyone.

Last fast day of the week today. Must instruct DH not to buy any wine or anything for tonight!

mrsnec have a great time in Venice. If you want a drink have a Bellini, or dirty Martini, they're lowish in calories! Lots of lovely seafood there too. Ooh, I'm envy now!

I think Chops is off to Montreal too. If you read this Chops, have fun!

FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels Sat 16-Feb-13 08:05:55

Last year I lost 17kg and mfp played a big part in that. Then I lost the drive to succed and need a giant kick up the bum. I'm feijoajam on mfp, please come and kick me.

At the moment I'm working on getting fit, but I need to sort my eating out again.

Chopstheduck Sat 16-Feb-13 08:34:08

Yep, off to the airport shortly, hope you all have lovely half terms, see you all soon! x

Lissyfrog Sat 16-Feb-13 10:36:46

Well gel chops x haves fab time u have done soooo well so far x

Feijoada
Welcome and I've just added u hun x consider yrself booted x

Lissyfrog Sat 16-Feb-13 10:37:42

Sorry silly phone corrected yr name x

WiseKneeHair Sat 16-Feb-13 18:50:43

It's going to be quiet around here with all these lucky people off on holiday.
Welcome feijoa, well done on the weight loss, that's great. I've sent you a friend request and am happy to kick. Feel free to kick back. grin

Have been really busy last few days and I'm on my phone so its a pain to scroll back past this page so sorry if I don't respond to anything!!

Welcome back wheredidiputit and come on pull yourself together, you've done so well to just stop now. Make yourself do that first day of eating well and exercise and you'll remember why you loved it smile

It tells you what you should be eating based on weight, height, age and activity level jemster and they allows you to log what you actually eat and you try to match up the two! Be honest with what you log and keep below your weekly calories and you will lose weight. Plus TA a great support network.

Have a lovely time mrsnec smile

Well done for getting as far as you did FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels, and you can do it again to get to your goal!!

I know what you mean DoubleMum, I was bullied as a fat child and my mum eventually took me to slimming world when I was 16. I went from 12 1/2st to 9 1/2st. I then gained it all back by 18 plus more. I've been between 13 and 18 1/2st since only losing while pregnant! So I don't really have anything I look back and didn't have clothes to fit back into, I had to buy new ones grin. You should look forward to what you would like to be! You can do it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now