Myfitnesspal.com support thread 6!!!

(714 Posts)

A thread for all those wanting support and advice for using mfp website and app. Welcome to everyone new and those of us that have been around a while hmm

Ledkr Fri 24-May-13 03:40:17

As above mug shots. Tinned food often low cal.
I find I eat less camping cos it's harder.

somanymiles Fri 24-May-13 05:28:47

Hi all - new on here - going camping this weekend too. I am hoping to lose lots of weight as hiking 4-6 hours a day! I'm taking fresh bagels and cream cheese - not low cal I know! Also a couple of tins of low fat beef chilli that can be heated up on the campfire. I'll probably take some leftover homemade pizza too. I'm hoping all the walking means I can indulge a bit with a cup of hot chocolate at the end of the day!

Anyone watch fat family tree last night? Very interesting and informative, much less over the top than secret eaters, which I love too!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Fri 24-May-13 11:04:25

Ledkr - thanks! I've just been to B&M and bought loads of mugshots, and various other 'just add boiling water' products - including a pot noodle for DS blush, it turns out they are is favourite food hmm <bangs head on brick wall>

I also bought a couple of flapjacks for breakfast their slow-release energy whatsit grin.

I forgot to weigh myself this morning which is annoying because I won't be near the scales again until Monday <obsessed>. However, my jeans are pretty loose today so something must be going right!

Also, I took some measurements last night and going to put them into MFP in a mo.

Ledkr Fri 24-May-13 12:05:48

I've stayed the same despite bad few days so must be good as I'm also due on so guessing at a loss!
Also enjoying feeling slinky in normally tight jeans!
hiccup my local shop keeper commented on my ds frequent pot noodle purchase yesterday. He's 22 and a chef grin

FeijoaVodkaStat Fri 24-May-13 22:35:09

Crawling back onto the thread after an illness enforced leave of absence. I've been logging my food for the last couple of days (not very successfully), but have done no real exercise in about 3 weeks. I'll have to make use of the warm weekend weather to get out walking/build back up to running.

Hope you enjoy the camping Hiccup and Somany.

Welcome back Fejoia (sp?) glad you're feeling better.

I watched it Cinnamon the only thing is with that programme, every Tom, dick and Harry will now have the perfect excuse they can't lose weight. grin Even for the ladies with the genetic predisposition to being overweight the advice was still basic common sense. Low GI carbs, less fat and take more exercise! If only it was that easy to stick to!

riverboat Sat 25-May-13 17:03:52

How's the weekend going so far for everyone? Hope the campers are getting good weather!

I saw a bit of that programme Cinnamon, I thought the bit showing the benefits of exercising BEFORE eating was interesting. Made me think I might try and get more of my exercise in first thing in the morning, only thing is I am terrible at dragging myself out of bed until it's absolutely necessary...I am addicted to the snooze button.

Here the weather is absolutely crap, so the BBQ I was supposed to be going to this evening has been changed to a raclette party. Which basically means dinner is going to be shitloads of poatoes, butter and melted cheese. Delicious but TERRIBLE on the calorie front! I put in a good exercise session this morning (measuring the calorie burn with my new HRM which was quite exciting) but am very wary of what MFP is going to tell me about my calorie intake this evening!

riverboat Sat 25-May-13 17:05:54

Oh, and good luck Feijoa with getting back on track.

That's what I thought was good though, it saying the yes you may have a genetic predisposition to be gain weight/be less likely to lose it but it is still possible. I come from a family of large people 18st+, my mum is smaller but she has been on every crappy diet there is going and yoyos between a size 10 and 14. She is most definitely a feeder and never discouraged me from eating everything I saw! I am an emotional eater, bored eater and do really like my food. Other people like my dh couldn't care less about food and naturally eat smaller portions. What was good was not only did they say that it doesn't mean you can't lose weight what it doe mean is you need to be aware of where and how its difficult and makes the right changes. If you don't put too much in your body will not have anything to store as fat, its doing it that's the difficult thing!!! I also genuinely believe there are lots of people who think their diet is sensible when to the rest of us they are clearly consuming too many calories.

I love my hrm riverboat, but it can get a but addictive! Which one did you get?

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Sun 26-May-13 12:15:54

I'm from a large family too and deliberately didn't watch the program because I thought it was going to be excuse-laden. May have to seek it out on 4OD.

I was talking with my sister about how our view of size is a bit peculiar because of the family. She's 5'3" and a size 16ish, and doesn't see herself as big because she's small in comparison to the rest of the family. I think she's had a bit of an epiphany of late though and is aiming to get from 78kg to 65kg with BIWI's bootcamp which should take her to a 12. I'm considered tiny by the family, even if I gain weight, which is ridiculous. I was a 12 through my teens and 20s and am a 10 now (though the same size) which should be considered fairly normal. I'm certainly not slight but am given the impression by the family that I am and that my appetite is tiny (it isn't). It's odd how it messes with you as my younger sister who weighs in excess of 25 stone sees herself as plump rather than huge and makes so many excuses/lies for not losing weight. Madness.

Off to overindulge enjoy the bank holiday. I've been a bit rubbish on the food front this week but good on the exercise and can really see myself getting toned and strong, which I suppose is my goal grin

awaywego1 Mon 27-May-13 22:17:03

How's everyone doing? Hope bank hols have been enjoyed!
My week has been dreadful due to lots of hospital dashes and a house move. I've ate a couple of takeaways and generally higher fat rubbish than normal. And am very distressed to discover that I weigh three pounds heavier that i did a week ago-I really hope this isn't true as I worked damn hard to shift those buggers.
Well, im gonna try to start logging again tommorow although the next week is still going to be difficult as I'm between houses so limited cooking and time and then away next weekend. I really really don't want to have undone this hard work for a couple of bad weeks. Agghh��

Sounds like you haven't had the best weekend, I think some of those 3lb will probably be water due to higher salt intake in take aways. Hope that a few days back to healthier eating will get rid of a couple of them.

My weekend started badly, my doggy was not quite right Friday morning by Friday evening I took her to the vet and she had very high temp. They wanted to admit her but due to her old age we decided to have antibiotic and anti inflammatory injections and monitor her temp at home by 10 it hadn't come down at all and at 10.30 we went to bed and she couldn't get up. Had to drive her 15 miles to vet as our vets have 3 surgeries and take it in turns which surgery for out of hours to be at. Unfortunately there was nothing they could do and she was put to sleep just before midnight. Have tried to make the weekend fun for my boys but my heart is breaking!

Dh and the boys want to get another dog asap, dh feels it will help me not be so sad as there won't be a huge gap in our lives. I can see his point of view, we love having a dog around and at least one day of our weekend usually consists of a long walk around the local country park. I am still not sure but I agreed to go to the kennels today and they have fallen in love with a black boy greyhound called Billy. He is gorgeous and walked nicely and played with the boys really well, very affectionate and even had a little run with me without going nuts. But I am so anxious about how he will fit in (we have cats and I childmind), if it's too soon and I don't think it will stop my sadness as dh thinks it will. I guess it doesn't have to stop me being sad for us to enjoy having him around and someone to get up and walk and cuddle with.

Sorry to go on about non mfp stuff! I didn't log Friday eve or Saturday but got back Sunday. I ran Saturday which I was worried about, I usually like the headspace but I felt it may be too much headspace, but really made me feel better.

Hope everyone else had a better weekend and you're doing wonderfully on mfp!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Tue 28-May-13 08:20:36

Cinnamon - so sorry to hear about your dog sad. We've lost three dogs in my family in the last 6 months. Each time, another puppy has been in situ within a week or so. When my sister's dog was pts, her dh wanted to go and get a puppy the following day and she arrived a week later. Dsis wasn't keen because she felt so disloyal to their old dog. My mum, who thought it was too soon when my dsis got her pup, had to have her dog pts in feb and she'd got her new puppy within a week also smile. I think that having a puppy is definitely a good distraction and your old dog will never be forgotten. BIL's parents had got their new one the day they had their dog pts (they'd actually been to look at her a few hours before their dog was pts).

My BIL wanted their new puppy to come straight away so she could still smell the old dog in their house.

Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to say that it's quite common to want to have new dog when you've lost one (even if it does feel a bit strange).

Re MFP. I haven't filled it in for a few days because we've been away. I was reasonably good in that I didn't snack constantly. However, I don't think the things I did eat were particularly great hmmgrin.

We got home Sunday night so should have got straight back on it yesterday but ate far worse yesterday than I have since I started angry.

Today, I am going to do better!! I weighed myself this morning and I've put 2lb on so need to really get a grip if I'm going to fit into the dress I've bought for a wedding next month (not my own wedding grin!!). I can get the dress on and just about do it up but it is tight around my middle. I think if I lose another half a stone it should be fine, right?

warzonemummy Tue 28-May-13 10:43:47

Ladies, I am new on MFP and in need of friends for motivation. Same name as here. I am trying low cal + low carb. So far have lost 10lb in one month.

Ledkr Tue 28-May-13 16:37:40

Well done warzone and welcome. Ill add you later I'm the same too.
Been on holiday and didn't gain at all <preens> we swam every day and roller skated too plus walking.
I are what I wanted but my appetite has decreased so smaller portions. Tended to have brunch too so only two meals. Drank a lot too. Also had a gallstone attack Sunday so threw up my dinner which helped.grin
cinnamon I'm so sorry about your dog. It's so sad when you lose a pet. At least she's peaceful now.

Feel free to add me warzonemummy, although I am maintaining so I am not always the best example of a diary!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Tue 28-May-13 16:42:05

Damn it! The cravings have returned and my willpower has disappeared...I need a kick up the bum!!

Does having friends on MFP help?

I need to go food shopping, I think. There's not a lot in and I'm finding I'm just picking at any random junk that happens to around the kitchen blush. It doesn't help that there's birthday cake leftover.

Ledkr Tue 28-May-13 17:36:11

I had cake today but counted it as lunch cals.
Yep it's worse if you need to shop.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Tue 28-May-13 18:36:36

Have managed to cobble together a reasonably healthy dinner...although, I haven't put it all into MFP yet so I might be totally off grin

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Tue 28-May-13 21:11:08

Cravings, cravings, cravings!!

How about a low calorie hot chocolate to help with sweet cravings and fill your tum?

riverboat Tue 28-May-13 21:33:38

Have added you warzone mummy, though it seems like you are doing great already!

cinnalmon - any more news re: decision on a potential new dog? It's hard, I can imagine both sides of wanting a new dog around and then still wanting time to be sad about your old dog.

Since you asked by the way, I have a Polar FT4 HRT. I have had some nice surprises about calories burned from certain activities, e.g. DDR, and some not so nice surprises from treadmill calories - the HRT tells me something quite different to the treadmill itself!

Wow, well done Ledkr for not gaining on holiday! Sounds like you did great.

Hiccup - how long had you been doing MFP without cravings? I don't know if I have any good advice, just interested to know how suddenly they appeared. I think shopping for fruit and snackable veg sounds like a good idea. I am trying to observe a 'you can snack but only on fruit / veg / protein' rule, because generally what I want to snack on is crisps and biscuits! But you do have to be prepared. It's so easy to get hold of a 'bad' snack whereas good snacks have to be thought about and bought in advance!

FeijoaVodkaStat Tue 28-May-13 21:58:47

Massive NSW today. I finally fit into a dress that I bought and wore once 7 years ago. I never really thought I would look good in it again, so super happy today grin

Now DH just needs to take me out so I can wear it wink

Ledkr Tue 28-May-13 22:03:05

I find a low cal hot choc helps me yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now