Myfitnesspal.com support thread 6!!!

(714 Posts)

A thread for all those wanting support and advice for using mfp website and app. Welcome to everyone new and those of us that have been around a while hmm

MrsBucketxx Wed 01-May-13 15:03:53

I really wish you coukd include activities lije gardening etc to the exercise list. I have been doing loads.

awaywego1 Wed 01-May-13 16:08:53

Mrs bucket-I've seen other people adding gardening and cleaning so there must be an option somewhere!

WiseKneeHair Wed 01-May-13 16:43:05

Hi All. I've not been on here for ages and ages! Lots of new faces. I'll try to add you, but if I miss anyone, I'm HappyKite on MFP. I'm a lot more active on there. I've now lost 20lbs and am gets loads of positive comments at work. grin
I've done C25K and am now doing a 5-10K program. Due to do my first Parkrun on Saturday! Gulp! I tend to run in the evenings, 8.30-9pm in the week and then in the daytime at the weekend as I work full time and I am definitely not a morning exerciser. Although I'll have to be in Saturday unless I decide not to get out of bed

WiseKneeHair Wed 01-May-13 16:45:49

MrsBucket - meant to say, I've seen people add gardening, cleaning, food prep. It's all up to you what you want to add or not. Although, I personally think if you add those, you should make sure your settings are set to sedentary as they would be included in the general allowance for lightly active.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Wed 01-May-13 16:50:42

WiseKneeHair - parkruns are great! They're so inclusive. Do try to get up for it. Last time I did one I was run past by a great gaggle of children, but it was such fun, it really was. I can't wait to get running fit and out there again (have pesky skiing foot injury) - just in time for the warmer weather!

Yay for parkrun!!! It's a lovely event, I'm doing my local one on Saturday WiseKneeHair we can imagine we're running together! Don't be daunted at all, our one ranges from 16mins to 43mins smile

jchocchip Thu 02-May-13 07:54:25

Yay for parkrun, I'm a bit sad because I've been out twice this week in an atempt to speed up and knock a couple of seconds off my very slow pb but I tripped yesterday and my foot which has been hurting for a while is worse again. Hope it is under control for Saturday.

Another Parkrunner here! I managed a new PB of 30:12 last week, and this week I'll be joining the one on the beach at Portrush, on the north coast of Ireland. I'm hoping that the lack of hills will help me break through that 30 minute time. But I did a kettlebell class on Tuesday and my hamstrings are still in agony shock

WiseKneeHair Thu 02-May-13 13:07:38

Thanks for the words of encouragement for the Parkrun.
Guess I'm going to have to get out of bed.grin
chicchip hope your foot feels better for Saturday.
cinnamon I see you are logging longer runs now, does this mean your leg is feeling better? I hope so. And I'll pretend you are there to hold my hand on Saturday.
Melanie great PB, hope you manage to get sub 30 on Saturday. That is my aim within the next two-three months.
Running tonight, due to do 3 x 17 minute intervals with 1 minute walks in between, on my quest to be able to run for an hour without stopping.

jchocchip Thu 02-May-13 17:48:15

Today I'm going to try to get to the gym and do a bit on the eliptical before a swim trying to be low impact. Will rest Friday and hope I'm ok for parkrun. portrush sounds lovely. And yes wise you have to get out of bed and tell us about it after smile

awaywego1 Thu 02-May-13 18:06:16

How's everyone doing? Hope you are all enjoying the sun.Well done to all your parkrunners grin
Im struggling with motivation this week-its the first week that it looks like i might end up over calories at the end of it. So far i'm doing better today-i need to stave off the evening munchies. I've got such a sweet tooth and i think that long term i need to address that, but for now i'm going to allow myself treats-but just try to stay within calories.
I've lost 4 pounds now-which isnt a lot-but i feel better in myself-more confident and i really would like to lose another 4 by the end of may, whihc would take me almost to my goal weight (i think-i have no idea how to decide such a thing confused) The next week will be a challenge as im off work which means i'm likely to drink more and want to bake-but i will also have the opportunity to walk more so we will see!

Sorry for rambling! Only DP in real life knows i'm trying to lose weight and he thinks its unnecessary so just glazes over when i talk about it! So i really value the support on here and on the app.

That's rubbish jchocchip, did you go to the dr in the end? Might we worth some physio.

MelanieCheeks My husband uses kettle bells and keeps trying to encourage me to but his are 25 and 30Kg so im sure we'd need to buy smaller ones!

It's getting better thanks WiseKneeHair. Still hurts more than I'd like and running does make it worse for half a day or so but its not making me limp or want to stop anymore so I'm going for it! 10k race in 2 weeks so need to know if I can realistically run it even if it won't be a great time. It's for Marie curie so don't want to let sponsors down!

Well done awaywego1, I didn't have a target weight as I've been overweight my whole adult life so had nothing to aim for. Went for a healthy bmi and then felt I wanted to be a bit more in the middle of it and then I got to a point were I just felt happy and stopped. I'm 61Kg and an 8 on top 8/10 on bottom depending on the shop. That's exactly what I did with treats, had some but lower calorie ones as I knew without I'd never carry on. But a single bag of maltesers is better than a sharing bag wink. Sorry your dh isn't more supportive, mine was supportive but actually preferred me before I lost weight so that was a bit tricky!! He's got used to me now but regularly asks if I can 'just put some fat on my bum'. You need to find something that's sustainable though. Do your baking but give them away quick and enjoy the one that you have smile

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Fri 03-May-13 07:28:57

When we lost all the weight a few years ago we ate more chocolate than ever before as the treats kept us going. Now I always have a bag of treat size chocolate buttons in the fridge (75 calories per bag) so I can have a chocolate hit if I want one. My downfall is wine, so I drink spritzers now instead, thus drinking half the wine. It's great to find diet friendly treats so you don't feel you're denying yourself.

I didn't deny myself last night blush as a friend popped round and we sat on the roof terrace and had a little barbecue and catch up. Somehow, in spite of the wine I managed to stay within my daily limits. I feel a bit rubbish now though, but we had to make the most of the sunshine.

Good luck to the park runners on Saturday - I'll be there in spirit, and hopefully out there in body in a few weeks time.

awaywego1 Fri 03-May-13 18:52:34

cinnamon you've done so well then to get down to that size! I'm aiming to be able to fit v comfortably into my size 10s I think. My DP is unsupportive in a good way iyswim-he's no feeder but thinks I'm great as I am and because I'm a healthy weight bmi wise he thinks I should just accept myself as I am-which is Lovely but doesn't help with my jeans being too tight wink

I wasn't suggesting he was an arse awaywego1 wink but still nice to have support. I don't think its about doing well I just have a small frame but have hidden it well under blubber for most of my life. My mum was most definitely a feeder and I am an eater so not a good combination!!

Movingforward123 Sat 04-May-13 10:36:04

Oh gosh yesterday was a terrible day food wise! I don't know why I do it considering I just managed to get down to 10.5.8 which is the lightest I have been for ages!
I had an Indian and lots of wine with my friend last night and today feel bloated and full still hmm

BambieO Sat 04-May-13 10:43:35

Just checking in, I seem to have disappeared from these threads, have been too busy on MFP, I shall make a vow to check in more often!

WiseKneeHair Sat 04-May-13 19:39:22

Welcome back BambieO I did something similar!
Hope you are having a better day movingforward
How have all you Parkrunners done?
I may now count myself as one of you. grin I did it this morning and absolutely loved it. I got a time of 30:17, which I am partly really pleased with as it is faster than I was expecting, but partly disappointed as it was close to 30:00! Have got something to aim for next time, which will hopefully be next week.
I guess I'm lucky that DH is enjoying my weight loss at least he can't keep his hands off my bum but then I'm heavier than both of you, so there may come a time he thinks I should stop and I won't. It has happened before. I guess it just goes to show that you need to lose weight for you, not anyone else, and start/stop when you feel ready.

Well done for getting out there WiseKneeHair! Gives you a good time to aim for. I did mine in 30:04, my best is 26:48 so was disappointed my leg wasn't happy so guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself! It's only my 4th, think I've volunteered as many as I've run now!

WiseKneeHair Sat 04-May-13 20:54:14

cinnamon still faster than me with a bad leg. grin hope you're ok for your 10k in a couple of weeks.

I went with my friend Thursday and we did almost 8k and it was less painful, dh thinks its because that was an evening run and I warmed up totally. Race is 10am so we will see, its much better than 2 weeks ago so hoping another 2 weeks and I'll be good!!

WiseKneeHair Sat 04-May-13 21:09:53

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
I said to my DH on Thursday that I always run better in the evening. It just feels easier, probably for similar reasons.

jchocchip Sun 05-May-13 09:33:10

Well done wisekneehair you are a parkrunner now smile
My hrm registered well over 1000 for the run but I record 750 and try not to eat them all. Difficult when it is a special run and cakes for sale for charity at the finish grin

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Sun 05-May-13 12:39:11

Jchocchip was that for parkrun? If so it sounds bonkers! General understanding is that you burn 100 calories per mile when running, so parkrun should be 300 cals.

Have not lost since my gain midweek so am adopting a new strategy. 1200 is my bottom limit per day, including exercise calories. Obviously I will try to stay as close as possible to 1200 but I think I'm not getting enough in at the moment and my body is in shock. After exercise is included I'm recording as few as 500 calories per day which can't be enough. Lets see whether eating a bit more helps.

If it doesn't make any difference in a couple of weeks I might try 5:2.

jchocchip Sun 05-May-13 15:57:08

It also relate to how much weight you are carrying at 20 stone you use a lot more calories than at 10 stone for instance. That is why your targets go down as you lose weight...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now