Cut carbs but weight loss too slow :(

(16 Posts)
catgirl1976 England Sun 10-Feb-13 10:59:30

I'm getting disheartened and need some encourgement or tips

I need to lose 30lbs.

I've cut out carbs and am on day 5 and have only lost 2.5lbs. I know that's not bad, but I dropped carbs a few years ago and had much faster results (was losing 2lbs per day for the first few days) Even though I know a lot of that would have been water I was expecting similar results and am feeling a bit downhearted

Yesterday I ate:

2 boiled eggs for breakfast

Chicken breast and salad for lunch

Prawns for dinner

And NOTHING else and this morning had only lost just less than half a pound. I feel like running to the freezer and eating a pizza but I really need to lose this weight. I put on over 5 stone when pg but DS is 14 months now and the excuse is wearing a bit thin

I;ve got the shred but time is tight with a baby and a ft job. I'm going to Zumba tonight

Can anyone give me some encouragement or tales of how well they are doing on lo / no carb?

ILoveTIFFANY Sun 10-Feb-13 11:02:00

I've now lost 30lbs!! Exactly smile

Low carb
Shred
Running

That's since nov tho... With a lapse at Xmas and no running for 2 weeks cos of snow and ice

catgirl1976 England Sun 10-Feb-13 11:03:51

Well that is brilliant! smile Well done

So, it took you about 3 months? I could live with that

Did you do the Shred every day? How did you cope with running on low carbs (I'm unfit and worried I will feel a bit faint!)

Well done though....you've made me feel a bit better already smile

ILoveTIFFANY Sun 10-Feb-13 11:10:57

Yeah, running with no carbs was a bit tough. But I eat some protein few hours before I go and that helps.... Have to plan ahead. I'm running 27 mins non stop now... Could barely manage a minute at the start. Week 8 now

Shred everyday yes! That REALLY helps. Just decorated my friends sitting room for her and managed the ceiling so easily.... My arms are so strong now smile

I'm into my third stone now...in total I'm aiming for 5 stone off by july

catgirl1976 England Sun 10-Feb-13 11:14:04

Thank you smile You have stopped me running to the freezer and pulling out a pizza (which is what I really want to do right now!)

You sound really dedicated!

Alligatorpie Sun 10-Feb-13 12:01:57

Catgirl, i would increase your veggies and see if you start losing. That doesn't sound like very much food and your body may be in starvation mode.
Also, if you arent doing it already, make sure you drink lots of water. I drink 8 glasses a day, plus herbal tea, plus one diet coke / 7 up. I also would like to lose about 30 lbs ( or 3 dress sizes - i dont weigh myself very often.)
How do your clothes fit? Are they any looser?
I am on day 8 of the shred and my clothes feel much better and several people have told me i look like i have lost weight. The shred only takes 1/2 hour, can you get up early a few times a week and do it then?
Good luck!

catgirl1976 England Sun 10-Feb-13 12:46:12

I will up the veggies as I'm too hungry atm

I'm not drinking enough water either

Good luck to you too

We WILL do it smile

silverbeetle Sun 10-Feb-13 13:45:31

Hi catgirl, I definitely agree, make sure you're drinking at least 8 glasses of tap water (not including tea/coffee, diet drinks) and have lots of veggies and large salads. It makes a big difference, you can't burn fat effectively if you're dehydrated.

I wanted to lose about 1 1/2 stone but kept putting it off as I couldn't bear the small weight loss I usually get with weight watchers. I needed a big initial loss to get me motivated but also wanted to ensure I eat proper food, so I tried the 17 day diet which is basically a low carb diet for 17 days (cycle 1). It claims that you can lose between 10-12lbs in that time. I decided to give it a go as an experiment and today which is day 16, I've lost 10lbs. Hooray, now thinking of switching to the 5:2 diet to shift the rest.

What is the 'shred' seen it mentioned in a couple of posts?

Alligatorpie Sun 10-Feb-13 18:08:34

The 30 day shred is a dvd by Jillian Michaels. The way it works is 3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio, one minute abs. there are 3 levels, each lasting 30 minutes. It is hardcore, but you get results fast.

Carb cycling seems very complicated to me, but losing 10 lbs is fantastic!

catgirl1976 England Sun 10-Feb-13 18:28:25

Hi Silver

Well done on 10lbs - that's amazing in 3 weeks

Shred is as outline by Alligator above. I have done it before (although only a few days) and it is really good. Hard, but if I can do it anyone can

I have bought the kindle book of the 17 day diet. I started reading it but the thought....I'll just drop carbs, that's basically the thing and I had good sucess on the Dukan before DS a few years ago

As I understand it (and I am currently plaguing the low carb newbies question thread so far from knowledgeable!), the goal of removing carbs is to train your body to run on fat - body fat and dietary fat. And to achieve satiety you will need to eat fat or you will be starving and crave those carbs. They are very adamant that eating fat will not make you fat so do not fear it.

... So if I was you I would eat more fat - maybe make that fried/scrambled eggs in a whole pile of butter, chicken (maybe thigh or skin on breast for extra fat) and salad with a oily or mayo dressing etc, cream in your coffee that kind of thing.

catgirl1976 England Sun 10-Feb-13 19:45:21

I can do fat grin

I bloody love it. (And am it) grin

I am too hungry as I am so I think I will add some fats

Have just ordered a chicken kebab withsalad, veg and garlic sauce (and no pitta bread) so I'm making a start I think!

Iamaslummymummy Sun 10-Feb-13 20:12:23

Come and join us on the low carb boot camp threadsmile

Alligatorpie Mon 11-Feb-13 05:56:03

Your dinner sounds great catgirl!

Silver - the 30 day shred is on you tube. You don't need to buy the dvd.

catgirl1976 England Mon 11-Feb-13 09:17:27

It was yummy Alligator!

And this morning have lost another pound so feel more motivated

slummymummy - I will check out the bootcamp thread smile

silverbeetle Tue 12-Feb-13 17:44:32

Thanks all, I now feel enlightened and thanks for the heads up on finding the Shred on utube Alligatorpie
I thought it was to do with shredding old clothes or food - how embarrassing blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now