5:2 DIET HELP ! IM GAINING WEIGHT

(7 Posts)
Expatbritguy Sun 10-Feb-13 05:02:30

Hi All

Ive searched the threads and cant find the info I need so am starting this thread looking for advice.

So briefly about me - 46 Years old have lost 35KG over 18 months through lifestyle changes and more recently (last 6 months) cutting processed food out completely from my diet and reducing colorific intake to around 1500 cals a day.

I found myself at 95KG (Im 180M tall, stocky build btw) but plateauing so decided to try 5:2 diet.

Did 2 fast days back to back at 4-500 calls, then followed rules and ate around 2000-2200 5 next days (I actually found this strange having being eating 1500 cals a day) so ate things I havent done for months like bread etc as its only way I could consume what seems like a large amount of calls.

Im mainly veggie but eat fish, so its not like I can eat a big steak !

I lost 1KG after 1st week but now after 3 weeks have found Ive gained it straight back.

Im conscious of my body going into "starvation mode" so didnt want to lower calorific intake to less than 2k a day on feed days as Id I lower to 1500 like I was before for me it doesnt show anything as my total intake for week would be very low.

I really dont struggle on fast days as Im so used to eating little anyway (somedays before starting 5:2 Ive been eating 800-1200 anyway) .

Has anyone been in this position ? Appreciate we are all different but Im wondering as I started 5:2 after months of tradition dieting wether my body is having a weird reaction and storing cals ?

I walk a lot (3-5KM a day) very briskly so burn 2-500 cals a day doing this, plus sit ups etc regularly

I laos track cals on Myfitness app so Im baffled by this.

Target weight for me is 88 short term then around 84 long term so Im frustrated having lost so much to be able to loose last few KG's

I drink 1 a week, Vodka and Soda normally but 4 or so no more, my liver has been checked and its functioning correctly.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks all !!

literarygeek Sun 10-Feb-13 07:41:30

Hi there
I'd recommend posting on the main 5:2 thread, here as you'll likely get more input.

However, if you look on there, you'll notice that lots of people have had that experience. What I would say is: DON'T PANIC! it might be just that you weighed when you had more food in your system, or you were holding on to more water. if you enjoy this way of eating and think you can maintain it, keep going. work out your TDEE (the link is in the OP of the other thread- the amount you are eating for your 'maintenance cals' might be a little low) and keep to that on non fast days. keep tracking things on MFP and enjoy the food you like.
You aren't aren't actually gaining weight, are you? You put back on what you lost initially, if I read that correctly? Have you noticed any difference in shape/measurements?

Also, don't worry about the starvation mode thing unless you are close to single figures body fat. The concept has been a bit abused by the diet /food industries -it's useful for peddling snack bars.

Good luck, and see you on the other thread. grin

Snowkey Sun 10-Feb-13 13:36:03

I wonder how you are working out your calorie burn - 3-5km is not that far to be burning 2-500kcal - not that it matters, all the calculators are different but if you are eating your exercise calories, you may find it does matter if your calculations show a bigger number than you have actually burned.

Your Net Calorie Burn/Mile for Walking .30 x your weight (lbs). Using this formula your burn rate is 62kcal per mile or 40 kcal per kilometre. So you are burning between 120 - 200kcal when you walk 3-5km.

Expatbritguy Sun 10-Feb-13 13:59:22

Hi Snowkey

I dont include my excercise when calculating daily cal intake, I just take it as 'extra'. I walk fast and track using GPS app Moves and also input to Myfitness App

Point is that I dont drive to work, sit all day drive home ...

Should I cut my cal intake from what is recomended at 2300 - 2500 down to say 1700-1900 a day ? I am just worried it goes against principle of this diet ..... just curious if anyone else has had a similar situation to this ....

Thanks for any advice on this matter !!

Snowkey Sun 10-Feb-13 14:29:15

Your BMR is around 1700, I think it would be fine to go down to that to loss weight a little quicker, it's your diet you decide how you want to play it - with 5:2 everyone does it a little differently. Some eat less on week feed days and make up for it at the weekend.
Btw starvation mode is a bit of a myth, it's talked about a lot on diet forums but go looking for any science that backs it up for anyone with body fat above 10% and you'll struggle to find any. I think the main thing is that for the 5 days you don't feel deprived, if you do up your calories a little.

SparklyStone Sun 10-Feb-13 14:58:23

I'm trying this diet but I thought you just ate normally (your normal) on the non fast days, forcing yourself to eat over 2000 calories doesn't sound right (though I could be wrong)

Expatbritguy Mon 11-Feb-13 01:41:37

Thanks Snowkey ...

Did fast yesterday and as usual felt better all day .....everybody is different but found this works for me:

Black coffee/green tea during day then crisp bread x2 with smoked salmon+capers around 4 then I had a salad (with homemade super lo cal vinegar dressing) with grilled fish fillet at night .. delicious ! (I was eating fruit fast days but worried about spiking my blood sugar so am leaving this for normal days.)

If I eat earlier in the day I just get hungry on fast days (I guess thats why appetizers are called appetizers huh ?).

Then today normal day Ill try eating well but maybe 2 meals (omelette for lunch then home made curry for tea)

Ill try 1700-1900 Cals on normal days and see what happens and report back here .......

I just didnt want to go against principle of diet and eat too little on normal days, the whole reason Im dong this is because my "normal" diet has stalled which I know happens just frustrating that Ive lost so much and need to only drop 6-8 KG more to be perfect weight for my body shape.

Thanks for your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now