I might be in the wrong place but is anyone doing 5:2 for the health benefits only, not weight loss?

(3 Posts)
naturelover Thu 07-Feb-13 16:11:39

I ask this because I'm considering doing only one fast day a week in addition to a couple of "long nights" where I effectively eat early (6pm) and fast until breakfast at 8am.

The reason for this is that I don't have any weight to lose. My BMI is 21 or so and any lower I look gaunt.

I don't know if I'll get the same health benefits and I'd welcome other people's opinion. I'm 100% motivated by the health benefits and I can see from reading the book that some fasting is better than none.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. And good luck to all you fasters! I'm on day one and it's not easy.

Abra1d Thu 07-Feb-13 21:54:49

I am doing it for health reasons, primarily to see if I can reduce my LDL cholesterol levels. I have been fasting since late August and think there has been a slight reduction. Must test again soon.

I find it easier to do two fast days and eat what I want the rest of the time, including cheese and cake?

Ezzza Fri 08-Feb-13 12:36:45

naturelover there are people doing this purely for health reasons. There's a maintainance thread for experienced 5:2ers who don't want to lose any more weight but want to continue 5:2ing for the health benefits. Worth a browse. The maintenance thread is for the experienced to exchange tips, so if you have any 'getting started' questions come and join in the chat on the main thread. The experienced 5:2ers read this thread too so you'll find the answers to your questions on there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now