Week 5 - New Year Low Carb Bootcamp - We Reach the Halfway Point!

(703 Posts)
BIWI Mon 04-Feb-13 09:46:15

Sorry for the late start to this thread. I had an appointment at my gym for an induction this morning.

If you haven't already, put yourself on the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness

Good luck for the week!

Firsttimepig Mon 04-Feb-13 21:29:28

Hi all, sorry its a late check in for me. I've lost 1lb this week. My payment for the wine I had at the weekend plus a bar of dark choc ! What can i say it was time of the month. Back on it now. ,

Hi all, checking in.... I have been pretty good food-wise this last week, had one night where I fell face first into a bar of dark chocolate, but balanced against that was the office party, the press conference, the 40th of a friend, AND the 2nd of a friend's child during all of which I ate NO carbs despite free food and drink being proffered.

Busy morning meant I forgot to weigh in until breakfast and shower... Unsurprisingly I had gained weight! Will try & weigh in tomorrow and update properly then!

Womenandchickensfirst Mon 04-Feb-13 21:56:30

Well done to everyone, it really helps to know you're not on your own.

1lb off, but back into my favourite pencil skirt I have avoided for months, which feels good. I have bought a Mary Portus dress in the sales, and try it on every week as a motivation to keep going. It's still far too tight to wear out, around the tummy mainly, but I think another month and I'll be there. It's bright orange, so I have to be right in it, as everyone will look!
I made the stuffed Romano peppers with feta last night, from the low carb recipe thread, and they were delicious. Had it with the left over celeriac gratin from the night before. And I'm home alone tonight, but still made the celeriac chips for tea on my lonesome - it was a bit random with bits of smoked salmon pate, and coleslaw but did the job.
I smiled at all the posts on the last thread about buying out Waitrose. I went to my local one here in the north west yesterday and got the last bottle of chocolate essence, and there was no linseed either! Definitely want to make the tiffin - is it on the recipe thread yet?

I've lost 9lb now since 1st Jan (most in the first week admittedly), but went to my friends yesterday. She too has lost 9lb, but is doing My Fitness Pal, and is obsessing about calories and she's a lot bigger than me. Whilst I can't say I don't feel any temptation, or obsess about some foods, I realise I have broken that pattern whereby I had to snack mid morning, mid afternoon and in the evening, which has to be a good thing. And I like the reminders about water! I have a Pavlovian reaction when I read it on the thread, and go and get another glass, 'cos I'm not good at remembering, so thank you BIWI.

MsRinky Mon 04-Feb-13 22:02:42

Hello all, been a bit busy, sorry not to check in. I have the gain I expected after a long boozy weekend away for MrRinky's 40th. Back on track today though.

Kiriwawa Mon 04-Feb-13 22:37:36

Sorry, in so much of a hurry I messed the link up (just finished work <yawn>).

Right, try this: link

I'm v out of the loop on the thread, been run off feet with DS related admin/hospital/therapy appointments etc but just wanted to check in and say hi. I'm still on a downward trajectory with weight. Hurrah. The spreadsheet is looking lovely isn't it with everyone's losses racking up? smile

Off to bed to read through the thread properly. Happy Bootcamping all xx

Bessie123 Mon 04-Feb-13 23:14:41

I put on 1lb last week and another 3 lb this week. I have been bleeding for a week and a half (sorry, TMI) - blackaffronted maybe we have the same problem. Although I think my problem could be that I am stuffing my face with too much dairy.

Valdeeves Tue 05-Feb-13 00:20:49

Penny - I'd put money on your problem being caffeine - if you don't normally have alot of it - the caffeine in chocolate can really affect you. I don't do caffeine at all as it makes me very poorly like you described.

Black - keep at it - you've come so far now and it would be such a shame to give up.

Valdeeves Tue 05-Feb-13 00:30:49

Not a bad day for me - no scales still but sure I've gained a little.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and chives
Lunch: some corned beef
Tea: homemade lamb balls with shallots, baby leeks, garlic, black pepper and salt, buttered spinach and kale, roasted courgette. Garlic mushrooms.

Massive tea but I'm back in the game! Find I crave spinach but need celeriac chips now with coldcuts. Waitrose has sold out of celeriac.

Talk to me about flax seeds - why is everyone eating them?

Valdeeves Tue 05-Feb-13 00:31:29

BIWI - my mouth was watering at the thought of the diabetic toffee - ha ha ha!

Lavenderhoney Tue 05-Feb-13 05:09:42

just added myself. down again- not much but downsmile and i still find myself smiling as i wantonly chuck butter in the pan for my lovely fried breakfastsmile

Bessie list out what you have eaten abd drunk for the last few days, sorry you are feeling rubbish. Let's see if we can help.

LavenderBriggs Tue 05-Feb-13 07:13:15

After weekend of not being very well and having lemsips and some chocolates I've braved the scales. Weight has stayed the same - very, very happy about this as I thought I'd lost track a bit. Went back onto Bootcamp yesterday morning and I'm feeling much better.

This now just feels like how I eat. DH eats the same meals and he's very happy. He went out and bought some salmon for dinner last night and we cleared the fridge of green veg (and cooked it in loads of butter) and we were both full afterwards, neither of us are missing carbs at all.

Penny chocolate can have an instant pain effect on me, esp. dark choc, it could be that. Hope you're ok.

MrsHoolie Tue 05-Feb-13 07:25:19

Yes please to tiffin recipe please!

Bessie123 Tue 05-Feb-13 07:36:11

Thankyou, mrshp

Sunday
B - scrambled eggs with mushrooms fried in butter
L - Quorn roast with swede, celeriac and spring greens bake (cooked in stock and cream), spring greens and braised sprouts
D - poached salmon with leftover bake
S - 2 cups of decaf coffee with cream, 1 breakfast muffin

Monday
B - 3 breakfast muffins
L - tuna salad, leftover bake (I made a lot...), feta cheese
D - poached salmon, mushrooms and courgette cooked in a bit of cream, swede and celeriac mash, braised celery (cooked in stock).
S - 2 cups of decaf coffee with cream

As well as that enormous amount of food I have drunk at least 3 litres of water. It looks now like I am probably eating too much. My worst problem usually is snacking. I have been trying to eat proper meals to stop myself from snacking but I think I've been overdoing it.

NoveltySlippers Tue 05-Feb-13 07:57:29

Good morning all!

Hope BlackAffronted and Thatgirl are feeling better today.

I'm feeling better today after realising yesterday that I have these once bi weekly slip ups, and somehow recognising that makes me feel more in control of things and more alert to them happening again. They're proving very counter productive (surprise!) and I realise now I just can't get away with them.

(Luckily the slip ups haven't been as bad as that one weekend in London I had early Jan, where a Krispy Kreme donut and Cadbury Creme egg featured!) The scale of the slip ups have been getting less and less (yesterday were the oat and raisin meeting biscuits) - but still - would be lovely to not have them at all.

I ordered 'The Low Carb Gourmet' on Amazon last night in the hope that this will really inspire me. (The recipe thread here is really good, but I love cookbooks so know I would really enjoy the book.)

If anyone has this book and has some top tips from the recipes, do let me know!

Mrs Hoolie

I have put most of the recipes onto the low carb recipe section for easy reference

NoelHeadbands Tue 05-Feb-13 08:15:29

Morning all smile

Another STS for me this week <sigh>

Snowy and cold this morning, looking forward to my fry up for breakfast

captainmummy Tue 05-Feb-13 08:18:24

Blackaffronted - it does sound as if your hormones might be taking their time settling down - in which case you might well be retaining water. And if you are in need of a poo too - well, that's about 2lb right there! blush Don't give up - once these issues are resolved you will see a huge result. (physalis husks work!)

Dosh - my dp has found that he is Wheat-intolerant. Now that he's given up wheat he is a lot less bloated and 'windy' - god he used to be terrrible. He had a wheatabix on sunday and was right back there! He doesn't feel bad, unfortuantely, so he does keep 'trying' every so often, inthe hope it's got better (and it really doesn't)

Hope all those feeling yuk feel better soon.

BIWI Tue 05-Feb-13 08:21:20

TheEarlyBird veg/salad are important on this WOE as this is where you should be getting the majority of your carbs!

B; sausage, L; portion of prawns, D; portion of spag bol and large portin of green salad with 1/2 avocado, dressed with Caesar salad dressing and liberally sprinkled with Parmesan cheese (very good!). Snack; Babybel. Advice please!!!

OK. There will have been carbs in your sausage - do you know how many?

Your lunch is protein - what else did you have with the prawns? There are no carbs here, but also no obvious fat.

For you dinner, I'm assuming you didn't have the spag! (Please tell me you didn't ... ); again, protein-heavy and how much fat?

Large green salad/avocado is very good - but the Caesar salad dressing - was that pre-prepared? If so, there will almost certainly have been sugar in that, therefore carbs. How much fat in the dressing?

It looks to me as if you certainly aren't eating enough veg/salad, if that's a typical day for you, and you probably aren't eating enough fat. We're aiming to structure our diet in the following proportions:

fat:protein:carbs

But the carbs should come from veg/salad, rather than processed foods (c.f. sausage, pre-prepared salad dressings, etc)

What about drinks? How much water are you drinking? How many cups of tea/coffee - and therefore how much milk?

BIWI Tue 05-Feb-13 08:22:36

Valdeeves I think the flax seed is being used by those worried about constipation! I'm using them in my quest to create a recipe for some kind of cracker, which isn't working at the moment ...

Bessie123 Tue 05-Feb-13 08:27:23

biwi do me next... Do me...

BlackAffronted Tue 05-Feb-13 08:29:51

I wish I could send you guys a bunch of thanks each! If it wasnt for this thread, I would have given up! I really think I would have. You guys have been so supportive, and so fabulous.

I did eat a KitKat yesterday though sad It was a total "fuck it" moment when I was feeling depressed about it all. But it has taught me a few things ...

I dont like chocolate anymore
It was not worth it
I want to do this woe 100%
I do not like the effect to many carbs have on my body

I did an hour of intense Zumba just after, and drank an extra litre of water - that should minimise the damage <hopeful>?

Dinner last night was a pork chop in a boursin/mushroom sauce with cabbage - wow, the sauce was gorgeous!

Have got sausages & bacon from the local butcher, so looking forward to an amazing breakfast after the school run!

captainmummy Tue 05-Feb-13 08:33:25

Black - didn't you find it really sweet? I can't even eat 74% choc now.

In fact i find most things are really sweet now, even crisps. Just goes to show how much sugar is in processed food.

BIWI Tue 05-Feb-13 08:37:20

Bessie123 - unless your portions are absolutely massive, that doesn't look like too much food to me!

No need to go hungry on this WOE. We are not about deprivation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now