Week 5 - New Year Low Carb Bootcamp - We Reach the Halfway Point!

(703 Posts)
BIWI Mon 04-Feb-13 09:46:15

Sorry for the late start to this thread. I had an appointment at my gym for an induction this morning.

If you haven't already, put yourself on the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness

Good luck for the week!

BIWI Mon 04-Feb-13 18:20:06

Sorry to hear you feel so poorly sad

But please don't do it. You will not make yourself feel any better, and you will re-gain weight.

I think, too, it's indicative that you talk about LC foods as substitutes - which means that LCing isn't how you see yourself eating.

You don't have to have salad! Have something simple and easy. How about scrambled eggs? Or bacon and eggs?

thatgirl... Step away from the carbs.... I repeat... Stand away from the cebs

<puts on cross face and waves the Big Stick>

Don't do it, don't mess it up... Can you just steam some cabbage And fry some bacon... Chuck it all in a bowl with cheese and cream. Comfort in a bowl in less than 10 minutes.

It won't just be a step back, stay its it, treat yourself to a hot bath and an early night if you can, it will all seem much better in the morning (and you won't wake up with carb bloat like you will do if you give in to it tonight)

Good luck.... Keep the faith grin

Carbs even, fecking spellcheck!

And -stay with it -

Sorry you're feeling rough, i think the lengths that the brain will go to to trick us back into old habits are phenomenal.. Had a bit too much wine over lunch yesterday, I honestly could have dived into the soft bread rolls and flapjacks for DCs packed lunches this morning, yet I've hardly paid them any attention the last 4 weeks...

Scrambled eggs and bacon and eggs have been standard go-to dishes for me when I've come home from work or I need a quick and filling lunch, I am really craving something different...and my energy levels seem alarmingly low.

I can see myself doing this WOE long term but I can't see myself never eating fish and chips or a Snickers ever again. That's just completely unrealistic for me IMO.

I just feel wretched and sorry for myself...but hurrah, home time is here at last!

You're all right of course. I'll come up with something suitably comforting and LC after a lie down I think.

NoveltySlippers Mon 04-Feb-13 18:48:04

Evening all

Sorry Black and Thatgirl you're both feeling iffy today.

Can I set myself up as (yet again) an example of what happens when you give in to the Call of the Carb, though?

I did this yesterday. Just ONE day.

What happened?

Piled on three pounds in 24 hours. But even worse, you DO sort of think, oh f*ck it, I messed up yesterday, so one oat and raisin biscuit won't make much of a diference at this meeting. (Free food....god I'm a sucker for free food....)

Well - that one biscuit turned into four (the packets came in twos, so two packets. What can I say, it was a long meeting).

Am firmly back on the wagon tomorrow, but a cursory glance at my posts over the last month will tell you that I have quite a major slip up at least once a week. After the initial whoosh weight loss, I'm just not going to lose anymore if I keep doing this. And I always feel a bit a lot rubbish afterwards. It's just not worth it.

Sorry for essay - I think I'm trying to give myself a stern talking to with this post, as much as warn others. When I LC and am losing, I feel great. So why carb binge, only to go backwards/feel rubbish/put on the weight that I worked so hard to lose?

There's such a simple answer to that, really.

End of Essay

DoingItForMyself Mon 04-Feb-13 18:50:44

Thatgirl, I know what you mean about thinking "I'll never have xyz again" - I like to think that instead of never having a snickers again, maybe one day I will have a fun size bar as a little treat one (lax) weekend. Instead of fish & chips I may have some fish and enjoy a bit of the crispy batter, but without bloating myself with chips too although I might steal a chip or two off someone else who is wolfing a whole bag of them!

I know its not strictly in the spirit of LC to plan cheats, but I think if you deny yourself the things you enjoy indefinitely you become desperate about them, whereas if you tell yourself that one day, once you are in a better frame of mind (& eating) you will allow yourself a little of what you fancy, it takes the pressure off.

I'm finding the 'substitute' meals like turnip dauphinoise, celeriac chips, courgette 'pasta' and cauli rice are making it all more sustainable for me than last time I tried LC. My BF would be happy with meat & salad or bacon & eggs, but for me, I need to pretend that some of it is 'normal' food, especially when I'm eating with the DCS, so I have been experimenting and its really broadened my food horizons.

ScillyCow Mon 04-Feb-13 19:06:27

I'm back and marking my place.

A reasonable day
B: Natural yog
Lunch salmon and avo salad
Tea Halloumi stir fry
2 pieces dark choc
2 slices cheese

ShebaQueen Mon 04-Feb-13 19:25:53

Hello all, 1lb loss for me this week which is better than the nil I had last week. I have been really strict and have a lot of weight to lose so I am hanging on to Biwi's warning re weeks 4 and 5, I really hope that applies in my case. Thanks to Biwi for the new thread and for the mentoring!

So sorry to hear you are feeling so low Black, stay with it, you can do it and I always enjoy reading your cheery posts so you are entitled to a few negative ones every now and then. Pick yourself up girl and battle on brew

Thatgirl, I hope you feel better soon.

Novelty thanks for the pep talk, 3lbs on is so unfair, hope it drops off as quickly as it arrived.

Have a good evening all, I'm off to update the spreadsheet.

Doshusallie Mon 04-Feb-13 19:35:40

That's an interesting comment thatgirl - because actually I can quite easily see myself never having those things ever again by choice. I mean high carb foods to come into my life and are sometimes unavoidable (dinner parties where you are not in control and don,t want to be rude for example) but I will never seek them out.

Zoe Harcombe,s plan talks about having "planned cheats" mindfully, when you are in maintenance. And to enjoy them. But I know from experience that eating sugar or carby things makes me feel really ill now. I get terrible stomach pains and feel rubbish. So I avoid them. And don,t miss them at all.

B - Greek yoghurt
L - huge bowl of curried cauliflower soup, celery stick with pate
T - 3 egg mushroom and ham omelette with lettuce and a big dollop of creamy coleslaw
Snack - chunk of Brie

Lavenderhoney Mon 04-Feb-13 19:39:04

Well done all the losers!smile

I haven't weighed myself today as dd was awake lots in the night and I drink a glass of water when I get up for her, plus I couldn't sleep so just drank water and read, hoping to drop off! And dh woke me up coming in, so I had more water. I'll do it tomorrow.

I think I might need to do some exercising, like Pilates but my back is bad and I am having some tests this week. Don't want to skew them. My tummy is where the weight is.

B- bit of Brie wrapped in ham
L- Omelette
D- lamb chops. Roasted celeriac, green beans and some cherry tomatoes on the turn roasted with the lamb.

Snack- bit of Brie, some nuts.

Black affronted, chin up- perhaps your body is taking its time to adjust and reprogramme itself. I am very impressed you are going to zumbasmile don't have the nerve myself. if its any consolation, I need to poo more ( sorry tmi) Am thinking an espresso, or syrup of figs or charcoal tablets. Or colonic irrigationsmile

And anyone feeling ill, hope you feel better soon.

NoveltySlippers Mon 04-Feb-13 19:43:15

Doshu sounds weird, but I think I envy you your post-carb stomach pains!

I feel mentally rubbish after a carb splurge, but never physically, unfortunately. Don't have any problems with bloating or cramps etc. I don't think I'm wheat or gluten sensitive. Kinda wish I was....!

Because it would be lovely to think, urgh, that makes me feel horrid, I never want it. (Like I do about certain alcohols, e.g. whiskey, rum, tequila, cider....I won't touch any of it with a barge pole. Wish I felt that way about carbs!)

MrsHoolie Mon 04-Feb-13 19:45:16

Evening all. 1lb off for me,I stayed the same last week so hoping for a loss this coming week too.

Now,I am sick of rolling through the entire recipe thread to find the ones I want....so I need to print out the entire thing??!

QuickLookBusy Mon 04-Feb-13 19:58:22

ThatGirl I think most of us have days like you're having today.

When I do I make sure I have a big breakfast the next day. I think a good fry up- bacon, egg and fried mushrooms fills you up and mean you have lots of energy.

Sometimes I don't think a yoghurt cuts it for breakfast.

NoveltySlippers Mon 04-Feb-13 20:01:37

Quick totally agree re yoghurt. I love it as my afternoon snack. But doesn't seem enough for brekkie.

catinboots Mon 04-Feb-13 20:04:10

Just wanted to say I've found my new fave brekky. After weeks of omelettes I've started eating scrambled eggs with two slices of Leedamer and some salami.

Nom nom nom. It's like being on holiday at an all inclusive continental breakfast buffet!

catinboots Mon 04-Feb-13 20:05:14

Late lunch/dinner was belly pork strips and cauliflower mashed with butter, cream and Parmesan cheese

catinboots Mon 04-Feb-13 20:07:19

Re the fish and chips - try cod baked in a Parmesan crust nod celeriac Chios. Nicer than the chippie. Also the Greek yog, cream and peanut butter makes a fab substitute for a Snickers

Well I lost 2 lbs of the weight I had put on the week before, so back to my end of week one weight! Onwards and downwards...

BlackAffronted so sorry you are feeling pants. It does sound like the spotting issues are bringing you down. It might be perhaps worth checking it out with doctors if it continues? I hope you don't leave though, your photos on the photo thread have inspired me. I loved the halloumi in bacon wraps and tonight I have made the cheese crisps which have satisfied my cruchy cravings.

Kiriwawa Mon 04-Feb-13 20:33:55

Haven't read the thread yet but I need to post [[
http://feeds.feeburner.com/fathead-movie/DrTR
this link]] before I accidentally lose it - it's Andreas Eenfield interviewing Steve Phinney (who has been doing this WOE for 7 years and looks amazing!

It's quite long and goes into the history of lc diets but what I found really interesting is how he explains the importance of fat

Ruprekt Mon 04-Feb-13 20:52:34

Kiri - is that the right link?

Finally caught up with the thread as just posted and ran earlier on.

So sorry BlackAffronted that you've been feeling down and having troubles with spotting. It does sound like your hormones are playing up. You've done so well with what you've lost already - it's very normally to STS after the initial whoosh, and then have another whoosh once you've settled into it, so do try sticking with it a bit longer.

I lost three and a half stone with it a couple of years ago, and the thing I really love is that one doesn't feel hungry and deprived, or get sucked into a starving ravenous binge on all the wrong stuff. Focus on that bit for now, and once it settles down I hope the Whoosh Fairy pays you a much-deserved visit! thanks

TheEarlyBird Mon 04-Feb-13 21:12:28

BIWI could I have a little talking to please about veg/salad. Not sure I've understood how much to eat and what their role is in my woe and think this might be slowing my weightloss. For example; today
B; sausage, L; portion of prawns, D; portion of spag bol and large portin of green salad with 1/2 avocado, dressed with Caesar salad dressing and liberally sprinkled with Parmesan cheese (very good!). Snack; Babybel. Advice please!!!

PennyHofstadter Mon 04-Feb-13 21:13:35

Can I ask a possible TMI question? Before I started this WOE I used to suffer with bad stomachs after eating. Within minutes of eating my stomach would "flip" (it's the only way I can describe it, my DP says its IBS but I've never been to the doc about it) and I would need to go to the toilet. Not pretty. Since starting this i havent had anything like that. Until tonight... I made the 3 minute chocolate cake from the LC recipe list. It's made up of ground almond, egg, baking powder, truvia, cocoa powder, 85% choc and butter. My stomach has now flipped. Am I intolerant to something? Not eggs or butter as I've been eating them for weeks now with no problems but I think there must be something that effects me badly. Does anyone have any ideas? Apologies again for TMI.

Penny- chocolate I would imagine? Does it for me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now