I can tell you... Atkins is not for everyone...

(35 Posts)
discophile Sat 02-Feb-13 13:42:32

I have just completed two weeks of Atkins induction phase. I followed it to the letter. I know I have been in ketosis. Yeah, that's the good news. The bad news is that after two weeks of almost bathing in butter and olive oil I have lost diddly f*cking squat weight. Zero. Nadda. Rien. Etc.

What I have got, after two weeks of Atkins, is a bleeding bum from the constipation/piles that it has given me.

Back to the drawing board. [pissed off face]

Kewcumber Tue 05-Feb-13 12:37:57

Didn't work for me either and it made me oddly obsessed by food. Try something else... the fast diet seems to work well for me.

I have kidney damage so with hindsight probably not healthiest of diet choice for me anyway!

I've lost 56lbs since August by low carbing, with only a few cycle rides and normal activity as far as exercise goes. It's been easy - just celebrated 26 weeks (ie 6 months) without a single food cheat, nor the desire to have one. I find the food satisfying, I'm never hungry, and I don't miss any of those filler foods like pasta, rice, bread, pastry etc. I still have a few alcoholic drinks from time to time - though not every week, and coped with the Christmas season with no problem.

I'm sorry if low carbing doesn't work for you (generic you) because I believe it to be a very healthy way of eating (having read Taubes et al on the subject) which is sustainable in the long term. I suffered years of low fat, low cal etc. dieting and loathed every minute of it, including all the counting involved! I spent hours in the gym every day at one point - which became addictive in its own way, but didn't seem to do much as far as shifting the weight went.

The secret is just finding a way of eating that fits in with your tastes and lifestyle, or finding a lifestyle you find it easy to adapt to. If every day is a struggle of willpower and dedication, it's not surprising most people give in eventually. The beauty of low carbing - for me - is that it isn't a struggle, it's a pleasure.

Still got 14 lbs to go to goal, but it'll happen - no rush!

BIWI Mon 04-Feb-13 15:24:37
Alligatorpie Mon 04-Feb-13 15:17:47

The reason Atkins now suggests its ok to eat wheat products, is after Dr Atkins died, his company was sold. Atkins are now a business that (obviously) wants to make money, health is not the priority. It is very different from when he was alive. And yes, he sold cookbooks and stuff, but encouraged people to avoid these "low carb" products, until they had lost the weight and were in maintenance.

Snowkey Mon 04-Feb-13 13:53:20
poozlepants Mon 04-Feb-13 12:34:05

I didn't lose weight on Atkins either and I was exercising. I have PCOS quite severly I don't know if this has anything to do with it. There has been a study in Sweden that suggets low carbing is bad for women in the long term- increase in cardiovascular disease.
www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e4026

Cutting out sugar and balancing protein and carb content of meals seems to work best for me.

Viviennemary Mon 04-Feb-13 12:27:19

Try cutting out bread and sugar. That works for me when I can stick to it. Replace bread with ryvita or similar. And no biscuits cakes. If I cut out bread and sugar then my appetite reduces. I'm sure it's to do with insulin levels.

BIWI Mon 04-Feb-13 09:56:21

Reducing carbs does not cause serious health problems. But not having a scare story doesn't really make for entertaining TV, does it?

Sorry you didn't have any joy with Atkins, discophile. Come and join Bootcamp - you should have better luck there!

Snowkey Mon 04-Feb-13 07:33:31
Snowkey Mon 04-Feb-13 07:26:16

I don't do Atkins, but I low carb. It's perfectly possible that low carb will not work for you in that you don't lose weight and that you'll need to eat a very low calorie diet to lose weight. Think Gary Taubes talks about this in The Diet Delusion, I seem to remember he thought it was about their sensitivity to carbs and he believed that these people had to eat an unusually small amount of calories to lose weight - it was genetic and there was little they could do to change that except starve themselves. Don't have the book anymore - so forgive my hazy recollection.

The only thing I'd say is that 2 weeks is probably not long enough to find out whether a diet is resulting in fat loss - I can gain 4lbs in water almost overnight which would mask any weight loss. Cure for constipation - eat loads of allowed veg and drink loads of water.

Other than that I wish you the best of luck in finding a diet that suits you and your lifestyle. Have you tried fasting?

crazycatlady82 Mon 04-Feb-13 07:10:37

Generally if you want to lose weight you should aim to eat 600kcals less than what you usually do. The reason most diets work is because they all encourage you to eat less kcals than you did before. Whether that is be removing a food group, good old calorie counting or the watercress soup diet smile

Hope that helps

xxx

discophile Sun 03-Feb-13 22:31:14

Also, a strain on the kidneys apparently. Kidney damage possibility.

Viviennemary Sun 03-Feb-13 22:08:26

I went on the Atkins and I'm sure it gave me gallstones. Somebody else I knew got a severe digestive disorder from it. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. There was a programme on about it quite a while ago saying how it can cause serious health problems.

specialsubject Sun 03-Feb-13 19:10:36

facts:

1) 2000 calories is the level needed to keep most people breathing on a normal day.

2) Unless you are strapped to a bed 24/7, you are exercising and using calories.

3) Somewhat to my surprise, Atkins now recommends reducing simple carbs (sugar, biscuits, cakes etc - all the sugary rubbish) and eating a good percentage of complex carbs ('good carbs' in the Atkins baby-speak: pasta, bread, rice etc). i.e. a normal sensible diet. They will still try to peddle you the odd nasty processed shake and sugary 'health' bar, and their 'LBD' diet is hardly enough to feed a sparrow which is why people lose weight on it. But the basic 'nutrition and science' page is the obvious good sense.

excuse me, time for a sandwich.

Fluffy1234 Sun 03-Feb-13 13:19:46

Forgot to say I lost no weight for first 3 weeks but just stuck at it as was in no hurry. It took 12 years to put the weight on so I thought it's not going to come of mega quick.

Fluffy1234 Sun 03-Feb-13 13:17:58

It worked for me. I went from 13 and a half stone to 9 stone in 8 months in 2011 with absolutely no exercise. I now eat all food groups and exercise every day for 20 minutes to maintain this weight.

TotallyBS Sun 03-Feb-13 13:12:08

Black - I don't mind getting into a bun fight over something important like education but not too keen on spending my Sunday arguing about your diet plan <reaches for HIDE button>

discophile Sun 03-Feb-13 13:06:24

I'm not saying Atkins doesn't work, it just didn't work for me on this occasion for some reason. Have nothing against it really.

BlackAffronted Sun 03-Feb-13 12:18:46

Im not doing Atkins, I am low carbing. I amnot sure of Atkins rules. I do know however, that you dont have to exercise alongside a low carb diet. I did not increase my execrise levels. Is that simple enough to understand yet? I sure hope so.

Shame the OPs thread has been derailed. Its a shame this WOE didnt work for you quick enough, and that you find something suitable.

Alligatorpie Sun 03-Feb-13 10:06:33

Disc- do your clothes feel looser? You may have lost inches, which is what people see anyway.

TotallyBS Sun 03-Feb-13 09:36:20

.... also this thing about not exercising is a bit like tutoring. Parents go on about how they didn't tutor their kids for 11+. They then go on about their academic primary or prep and how their DCs love doing puzzles and reads a lot.

Similarly just because you don't go to the gym or run on the streets or use a exercise DVD doesn't mean that you don't 'exercise'.

TotallyBS Sun 03-Feb-13 09:29:25

Black - exercise alongside a carb low diet is the theory behind Atkins. I just find it funny that you think it's great but nonsense at the same time.

Alligatorpie Sun 03-Feb-13 09:23:47

I am another who thinks it works. Before I had dd1, I lost 45 lbs in 4.5 months. I didn't exercise that much (1-2 times per week) for the first month or so. Then stepped it up to 4-5 times per week.

Are you on any medications and are you eating enough veg? How many carbs are you eating? If its less than 10 per day, that could be the problem. Sometimes increasing your carbs helps.

I am starting again today ( for what seems like the 100th time) I am still nursing 7 month old dd, so will not go below 30 carbs per day, but if you want a (modified) Atkins buddy, let me know!

BlackAffronted Sun 03-Feb-13 07:01:17

I said having to exercise alongside low carb was a load of nonsense hmm I currently eat around 2000-3000 calories a day, but I have a feeling you will either ignore that or have some other "suggestion" for my weightloss.

chocoluvva Sat 02-Feb-13 20:46:04

You absolutely must drink plenty after taking psyllium.

You could also take dulcoease.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now