I F - 5:2 - 4:3 - Maintaining the healthy weight

(1000 Posts)
TalkinPeace2 Fri 01-Feb-13 16:59:38

This thread is for those who have been doing IF for quite a while and are now at or nearing their target healthy weight.

How do we experience fasts and balance a stable food intake while having little or no weight to lose?

How to we ensure that this WOE does keep us at the healthy weight long term rather than revert to yoyo games?

I have now been at the same weight for a month. I'm happy with that. I'm also still enjoying the 24 hour fasts because of the clear mindedness I get during them.

How about you?

Talkinpeace Tue 05-Mar-13 18:47:35

Just checking in to say I'm working lots at the moment so doing reports in the evening rather than pootling around on here.

DH weighed himself today and his weight loss since late last year is only 1kg, but his waist is still shrinking.

hi all - below is the muffin recipe, not a fast day one! But great for gluten and dairy free. 350degrees is in farenheight and I actually did them for 15mins, made 48 mini muffins!

Carrot Banana Muffins
2 cups blanched almond flour ( Almond Meal from Trader Joes)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 cup dates, pitted
3 ripe bananas
3 eggs
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
1 ½ cups carrots, shredded
¾ cup walnuts, finely chopped

In a small bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon
In a food processor, combine dates, bananas, eggs, vinegar and oil
Transfer mixture to a large bowl
Blend dry mixture into wet until thoroughly combined
Fold in carrots and walnuts
Spoon mixture into paper lined 24 cup mini muffin pans
Bake at 350° for 25 minutes

GreenEggsAndNichts Tue 05-Mar-13 23:29:44

oh boy B&W I was skimming the thread and did a double take- I did swear you wrote you'd make broccoli cake. confused bake

Am very busy at the moment, have posted in the 5:2 thread but probably should have posted here as it'll just scroll away there! Still fasting twice a week plus a half fast on Saturdays. Mum is coming over from the US in a week but I imagine I'll be able to keep this up while she's here. Maybe she'll join us, who knows.

Breadandwine Tue 05-Mar-13 23:30:33

Erm...

Has anyone else noticed a desire to start...skipping? confused

This afternoon I spent a couple of hours teaching, then called in and did a medium-sized shop at Lidl. Went from there and spent 30 minutes in Morrison's.

Leaving Morrison's - about 6.30 - and walking towards the car, with a shopping bag in each hand, I spontaneously started skipping! shock

And sitting here, I really feel like getting up and dancing! It's a normal day today, so I'm not fasting - in fact I had quite a big dinner with pud.

But I feel so energised! grin

Mmmmmmm sugar!!!

NSV alert - put on a jumper seas today that used to fit but was a little tight - this was the winter before I fell pregnant the second time when I was ok with my body, it is now loose and looks so much better being a size or two too big. Whoop!!

frenchfancy Wed 06-Mar-13 06:59:11

grin at B&W skipping.

ThinkICan Wed 06-Mar-13 08:17:15

Way to go B&W!

Talkinpeace Wed 06-Mar-13 11:09:50

we'll have him break dancing on youtube before we know it !

B&W I ran up the escalators today, does that count? not quite skipping, although I do that walking home from nursery with my kids to try and encourage my daughter to move more. I also enjoyed hearing about your over indulgent evening - sounds like me pre TOTM.

literarygeek Wed 06-Mar-13 16:36:29

ATB thanks for that. I'll definitely try veganising it with flax.

frenchfancy Wed 06-Mar-13 18:13:53

I'm shredded. Second time at level 2, but the first for seven days. At this rate it will be a 90 day shred rather than 30 days!

Oooo let me know how that goes!

Oooo let me know how that goes!

BetsyVanBell Wed 06-Mar-13 20:37:55

laska That aubergine curry has been giving and giving - for lunch I baked a portion of it with 2 eggs, jalapeño peppers, a sprinkle of feta and some extra spinach - baked it for 20mins and it was AMAZING. This evening I used the rest up with a load of green beans, 2 salmon fillets, more jalapeños & a sliced tomato, cooked it up on the hob to gently poach the fish - totally divine dinner for 2 (served it with a bit of basmati). I think I've made 4 different meals with it in all and served up 6 portions. And I only used 1 aubergine. I'm not fasting today btw wink

No shred for me today as I'm fending off a sore throat and generally feel like crap. Jillian's killer buns arrived but they'll have to wait.

This won't be a weight loss week for me, think I might be shrugging off the scale readings for the next few days, feel like I've been feeding this cold - mostly nutrient dense stuff but lots of it!

Wishing I had B&W skip in my step, bet my kids are too - I've been a massive grump these last few days.

Breadandwine Thu 07-Mar-13 00:09:21

Why, thank you, folks! smile My dad used to say, when asked how he was, "If I was any fitter, I'd be dangerous!" grin That's me, the way I'm feeling now!

I'm going to forecast that I won't be the only one on here skipping around - we'll all be at it! Maybe we'll have to start a new thread. Then we'd have: Main thread; maintenance thread; and, a jumping around thread!

I've been working hard this afternoon/evening - teaching from 4.30 to 9.15 - and I've just finished a 25hour+ fast. I feel absolutely great - except that, having eaten a <600 hour meal, and feeling stuffed, I'm still in the mood for more.

I've got a little man on my shoulder saying, "Go on, finish that Alpro pudding, you're only maintaining after all! Then get some carrot cake out of the freezer." (To get me up to my 600 calories I've eaten half the pud with a third of a banana. smile) "You've done a 25 hour fast, you'll get all the health benefits even if you eat normally, now!"

But, I want that 36 hour fast - at least one day a week! And, knowing that my hunger switch will gradually reset itself, I'm not persuaded! 20 minutes after my last mouthful, I'm already desiring another helping less and less.

Breadandwine Thu 07-Mar-13 00:13:35

mumofcrazynamedkids Meant to say, that escalator business definitely counts! smile

LG Be interested to see how your vegan muffin recipe goes!

GreenEggs I'm off to google 'Broccoli cake'. You never know! grin

Breadandwine Thu 07-Mar-13 00:19:52

Life's full of surprises!

www.google.co.uk/search?q=Broccoli+cake&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xds3UfO3GYan0QWth4D4CA&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1135&bih=662

Like the look of the third one along on the top row!

And these broccoli and sweet potato cakes are crying out to get the 5:2 treatment!

vegan.sheknows.com/2012/08/19/broccoli-sweet-potato-cakes/

You've started something now, GE!! grin

today I'm feeling energised, have to say that I have never really felt that on a fast day before, but maybe teh past year has been so crazy and stressful. I've taken the house off the market yesterday, while we sort out legal leashold stuff, and I think I feel relaxed for the first time in ages, I'm looking forward to a weekend up north with my bf and mum and without the children, although planning on being back for a Mothers day lunch on Sunday pm, and I'm starting to think about cooking some of teh lovely recipes being bandied about and actually stocking my freezer with some yummy but 5:2 food.

Just wanted to say thanks thanks to you all for being there, having the 5:2 and everyones support has been a stalwart when everything else has felt a bit out of control and today I just wanted to share that I was feeling good and positive and bouyant, long may it last - for all of us.

ps where are you laska you've disappeared!

Lovely post mumofcnk

Glad you're feeling more positive and relaxed, does sound like its been a stressful year, hope you have a lovely weekend.

How are you doing filly? Thinking of you this week.

B&W those links are amazeballs. I generally make all my cakes with some sort of veg in them to pretend they're healthy but never tried broccoli!

Laska42 Thu 07-Mar-13 18:48:53

Hello all, I'm having a pretty stressful week , work-wise , and family trouble and coursework assignment issues .. and I may not be around much for a little while . or it may have blown over a bit by next week (I do hope so).. Anyway haven't had time to read back but thought I'd check in

I hope you are all still fasting and shredding.. ( I'm fasting (stress makes me lose my appetite) but not shredding - though exercise is good for stress -(.but have been getting out for lunchtime walks again . )

be back soon I hope

Talkinpeace Thu 07-Mar-13 19:27:28

just popping in to say hi after a long day at work - now doing emails before tomorrow's ditto
Supper tonight was a whole pot of French onion soup bulked out with some left over chicken breast. Stuffed - and only 400 calories!
DH not home till late so back to work now!

GiraffesEatPineapples Fri 08-Mar-13 14:23:25

bit stressed so flying visist too here but managed my forst under 500 cal fast yesterday. Haven't Jillianed yet this week bear but will at weekend. Have worked out my steps are always over 10000 so now its the elusive 20000.

thanks for everyone having tough times

mocnk lovely to read your post too

frenchfancy Fri 08-Mar-13 16:41:27

Wishing everyone a good weekend.

I'm looking forward to beer and curry, which I will enjoy all the more after having LOST 1kg on my holiday smile
(I probably didn't lose it on holiday but on the 2 fasts I've done since I've been back but either way smile )

Now I just need to decide which one of my new size 12 outfits I'm going to wear tonight.

GreenEggsAndNichts Sat 09-Mar-13 01:09:11

Just checking in. We've moved the majority of our stuff to the new house but still have some bits to go this weekend, then clean the old place to hand over to the letting agent. I'm trying not to stress too much- I anticipate they'll be harder on us than they were with the previous tenant as they were just re-letting it then. Now it's going back to the owner so they'll expect miracles (we're fine tenants, but they haven't been fine with their attempts at fixing the few things that have gone wrong, so they're still not really fixed, just bodged)

anyway. Still fasting. Mum is coming for a visit from the US next week, which I'm looking forward to. Loads of DIY to do around the new house, it'll be good to get some feedback from her.

Good to see everyone still doing alright out there. smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.