I F - 5:2 - 4:3 - Maintaining the healthy weight

(1000 Posts)
TalkinPeace2 Fri 01-Feb-13 16:59:38

This thread is for those who have been doing IF for quite a while and are now at or nearing their target healthy weight.

How do we experience fasts and balance a stable food intake while having little or no weight to lose?

How to we ensure that this WOE does keep us at the healthy weight long term rather than revert to yoyo games?

I have now been at the same weight for a month. I'm happy with that. I'm also still enjoying the 24 hour fasts because of the clear mindedness I get during them.

How about you?

GiraffesEatPineapples Sun 10-Feb-13 23:18:55

After 8s I hadn't been back to that thread you linked to, when I was reading the pombear back story just then I started to panic that I had made some kind of swingers reference by including it, phew I wasn't totally off the mark with my bear anyone! well done on link smile

NatashaMousse Mon 11-Feb-13 01:36:20

Bummer about Mr and Mrs TIP. I only frequent the 5:2 threads on MN and so have no idea what the source of the trouble is. It's distressing to think that a difference of opinion, however strongly expressed, could lead to being banned on a discussion forum. confused I'd love to see her, them back.

Ezzza Mon 11-Feb-13 05:36:00

New flavour chunky kitkats Iwearblack? Now I really want to get back to the UK!

Aftereightsarenolongermine Mon 11-Feb-13 06:15:00

giraffes smile

Morning all, well I just ordered my shred dvd, I'm gonna join in, and may see if I can find it online so I can do it today and not miss the boat (+ I'm off work tomorrow so makes sense to be acheing all over then!), but if there are more then 10 situps I'll be screwed!

aagghhh about tip2 hope she's back soon!

glad breadandwine is fully recovered, looking forward to checking out your carrot cake recipe, but I make a declicious supermoist one with a tin of crushed pineapple that could never be a fast day food!

have a fab and sunny holiday greeneggs ooohh I really am quite jealous, I so need a sunny holiday!

thinkican do you really need to do the GM diet? I know how frustrating the plateau's are, I've not lost anything for ages (honestly like the end of november!), becasue I had to lose the 3 pound gain from christmas and took me a while to get back on track after a 3 week break, but by their very nature plateau's do end, and maybe just some exercise might be enough to kickstart instead? why not join us with the shred....or did you already say you were going to? anyway, my opinion is everyone should do what they want, but to me this WOE makes such sense and eating what we like and listening to our bodies makes the most sense.......that's not to say listening to our emotional voices that say stuff our faces with chocolate/biscuits/wine/cheese/nuts should be listened to much....but a little now and then is good for balance!

right, my flat had 14 viewings last week, and now teh week of second viewings is starting, first today, hoping for some offers by midweek, but having some wobbles about leaving london, had a boring weekend up north with teh children, weather was rubbish and cooped up in my bf's small house with none of our things or friends around to distract with was really no advert for how life could be up there, am going to have another look at london property.....ooohh think I'll be procrastinating about this decision for a long time! but I did visit a lovely schol with class sizes of 19 and 22 for my two little ones, that is very appealing!

Laska42 Mon 11-Feb-13 12:05:33

MOCNK
I think shred part one is here can see youtube from my work Pc though even at lunchtimes ! ..
anyway if not just google 'you tube shred part one' ..

BetsyVanBell Mon 11-Feb-13 12:42:33

Shredders - I do want to join in but will wait til my dvd arrives (why start today when you can wait til tomorrow? wink)

I have a 5:2 buddy IRL! My DH has now read the book, watched the documentary and although announced last night he couldn't start today did in fact skip breakfast and take in a pot of Glorious meal soup to work and says he's feeling fine, just about to have lunch smile.

I've just worked out on MFP that today's soup is only 100 cals per portion and held out 20 hours since last eating grin.

Stuck at home with a sick child (plus a very bouncy well child - it's half term here) so an added fasting challenge but all going well so far, am forcing the kids to eat super-healthily today, mainly by having no snacky crap in the house and loads of excellent fruit. Broke my fast with a very satisfying 30 calories worth of blueberries and strawberries waves away guilty feelings about airmiles.

ThinkICan Mon 11-Feb-13 12:43:20

Thank you MOCNK for your helpful words. I was looking at doing GM for one week only to jog my system but will have to do a lot of research even before trying. And I don't know if I will have the will power for it or will crash and burn after a day or two! Also, who knows if it will all come back the week after. It's just that with another 30 lb to go to reach the top end of my ideal weight, it gets to be frustrating sometimes. Which is where all you kind souls are so helpful smile The shred? Have never done anything beyond walking, stair climbing and 20 push ups for the tummy. Will I be able to do it?

thinkican having just read reviews.....stupidly after already ordering the dvd, i'm having serious doubts I can do it... daily exercise other than cycling? eeekkkkk but hey it can't hurt will only hurt for a bit, and imagine seeing the change on the tape measure? am i convincing you? no? me neither, but I'm gonna give it a go, although like betsy may also wait for dvd! also I think I need handweights and don;t have any, so i'm going to order from argos. I have never bought a fitness or exercise video in my life, so this is a first, and I hate to fail at things, even if I only do them once successfully!

really if I could get a toned body at this stage in my life, having never really had one, I would be very very impressed, not to mention it might set some good examples for my DC's

tonight I am going to measure up, in preparation.

GiraffesEatPineapples Mon 11-Feb-13 13:28:25

Just did shred level 1. I cheated quite a bit and didn’t use any weights; partly because I am cautious about my knees (had a strap thing on). Found jumping jacks pretty tough on the old pelvic floor blush also my neck hurts a bit doing the ab exercises, is that normal? Anyway thanks guys I wouldn't have got round to it without buddy/challenge impetus! grin grin

GiraffesEatPineapples Mon 11-Feb-13 13:31:36

I am sound like a total hypocondriac blush

no giraffes you sound like a total star you did it! woop woop! well done, i'm impressed.

BetsyVanBell Mon 11-Feb-13 13:53:00

giraffes mumofcnk The review I read said something along the lines of "You will want to die after 20mins" erm, ok then [shocked]. Well done giraffes for getting started. I think the neck pain comes from not having much ab strength (yet) if you see what I mean - it's a familiar pain when I occasionally do ab work... core strength? What's that then? wink, we'll get there gulp.

Laska42 Mon 11-Feb-13 13:54:10

Damn. that means Ill have to do it now...

Well done giraffes

Dont worry MOCNK , im a total unfit sloth also and fully expect to be dead by the end of the week doing shred from what ive heard , ( but dont let me put you off or anything!!)

Oh god I didn't think anyone was really going to do it!! Bugger ok, we'll done giraffes for kick starting us all.

It's 6am here, DD has been up since 5am again - tempted to get Shred over and done with now, though might wait for DS to get up so he can entertain his sister, not sure it will help having a 14mo under my feet!

Non fast day and I've already eaten a thick slice of chocolate and banana cake and a punnet of raspberries. Sigh. Feeling properly full though probably cos I wasn't hungry in the first place

Great news on the flat mumof are you actually contemplating a move up north?! We left London last year but for California - I've compromised with DH that when we go back we'll move to Brighton, but I don't want to leave London properly!!

GiraffesEatPineapples Mon 11-Feb-13 14:23:53

{shines halo }

Go for it America apparently excersis in the morning is most effective for fat burning grin can you put dd in a high chair?

Thanks for that info betsy makes me feel less concerned I am doing something wrong.

laska you can do it!!

How often to we need to do it though (grimace)

Day one done - Er, hate to say it but I didn't find it that hard? Maybe because I was seriously expecting to die, probably because I made it to power yoga twice last week. I'll do every day if DD continues getting up at stupid o'clock, be interesting to see if it's harder after an eating day rather than a fast day. Are you supposed to do 10 days at each level?

Time for a cuppa I reckon

Also DD was fine, she was carrying round my hand weights then trying to jump with me during cardio. She did sit on me during crunches though....

virginposter Mon 11-Feb-13 14:57:06

aftereights
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the link to the origins of the pom bear. Have just finished reading the entire 29 page thread and it was hilarious and cheered me up no end. I would suggest that anyone who has the time and is in need of a jolly good laugh, to read it in it's entirety. It's a hoot bear

americas I so wish I was moving to California or Brighton rather than up North (Wiral in between wales and Liverpool), but it's where i'm from originally, so family and a few friends there, and a more outdoorsy life for the children (not that I am that keen on outdoorsy life, I just need lots of people!) but honestly, getting divorced and having to sell and split the proceeds of your family home means there just isn't enough money left to stay in London alone. I'll have lots of friends to visit in london, and hopefully they'll visit us, but it won't be the same, am definitely dreading the having to start again thing, new friends, schools, job etc. trying to stay positive though and hoping that will get me through it!

sorry totally off topic.....have reserved davina weights at argos £14.99 for 3 sets.

giraffe aren't we supposed to do it every day for 30 days? can we tone that down to every other day, or won't it work then?

oohhh americas well done! so impressed that in my contemplating time, you've actually just done it! although i am at work, so can't do it right now, but maybe tonight....or tomorrow when i've bought the weights......

GiraffesEatPineapples Mon 11-Feb-13 15:08:58

bonus points for crunches with a baby on tummy Americas shock . You are hardcore!!! grin

Yeah...I didnt actually manage to do the crunches when I had a lump of toddler sat on me!

mumofcrazy I can imagine London getting that much more expensive once you're a single parent for sure. If the same happened to us we'd have the expense of London but the support all there. Hopefully by moving though you might have family to help so you can escape to London sans kids?

welshmill Mon 11-Feb-13 15:36:02

I just watch the YouTube clip for shredding week one....not sure I'm quite ready for that yet shock....the most exercise I do is walking the dog at a fast pace every day......

frenchfancy Mon 11-Feb-13 16:44:32

I was due to do WK 5 of couch 2 5k tonight, but it is pouring down with rain so I'm going to shred with you all. I've been watching the biggest loser and losing it with Jillian on youtube so I know how evil she can be. gulp!

This thread is not accepting new messages.