Which is the best Couch to 5K app?

(11 Posts)
Jonquille Sat 02-Feb-13 00:07:14

I think it is a personal choice. The idea is to stay active. But I love the feeling you get after jogging. The body releases endorphines and it is an addictive happiness hormone wink
Just try Nhs couch to 5k. You won't be doing much running in the beginning anyway. And you will be surprised how easy it is.
I got another friend who didn't run at all from nothing to 10k now. Although she is still reluctant to do more.
When it snowed and it wasn't so "safe" to run we were just walking fast. That's good too.
And another thing, forget all the rules and enjoy! The best advise given to me grin grin

IdaBlankenship Fri 01-Feb-13 19:15:28

Hmmm I can always be persuaded to buy new kit <eyes up forlorn medicine ball and weights>.
Has anyone tried running and just found its not for them? - everyone I have spoken to who runs seems to love it.

pennygallops Fri 01-Feb-13 18:31:58

I would recommend the NHS couch to 5k too. I used that one to get me running and it really did the job.

Jonquille Fri 01-Feb-13 17:12:04

I started with indoor trainers for first three weeks. I startrd to have knee pain after three weeks though. And bought the jogging trainers afterwards.
But I would still recommend to go to the sports shop like Sweatshop to find out if you need just normal spots or some support. This service is free anyway.
I didn't need any support our gel ones, so normal jogging shoes would do. While in a shop I compared the price of the same shoes in Internet and found out that it was the same so just bought at spot.

IdaBlankenship Fri 01-Feb-13 16:54:58

I wasn't planning on buying anything initially. I have some trainers - will they do for a bit?

Jonquille Fri 01-Feb-13 16:07:50

Oh yeah. You do need a special running shoes. Any sports shop do them after running tests and moulding your feet. I didn't in the beginning and only having knee psin and talking to a neighbour who does triathlon went there. stupid I know, but in the beginning I didn't think I would stick to the program and carry on jogging shock
The guilt of buying expensive shoes pushed me out the door too hmm hmm
I am sure you know this, I just learner the hard way blush blush

IdaBlankenship Fri 01-Feb-13 15:46:45

That's what all runners tell me! I reserve judgement about the fun bit!

Jonquille Fri 01-Feb-13 15:24:08

Ah as I am on the phone just lost a long message I wrote.
In short what I was dating is, yes it does say when to run when to walk with a music that goes with the tempo. When to warm up, how to breath and many more advises.
In the beginning I was ashamed of my body add well, so I just started doing it wearing my dh's clothes and early in the morning, so I wouldn't bump to neighbours.
But I stick to the program, in three months I lost a stone and was feeling great. everybody who knew me commented on that.
For the half marathons I prepared with a personal trainer. But honestly I thought couch to 5k was way better. As she didn't give me half the advises that are there.
Only after the first half marathon I went and treated myself to a nice jogging gear, so I wouldn't give up jogging. grin grin
seriously, the hardest step is the one out of the house, the rest is FUN! wink wink

IdaBlankenship Fri 01-Feb-13 14:43:14

Thanks Jonquille. So does podcast tells you when to run/walk whilst you go along?
Well done on the marathons - I'm still trying to brave going out in sporting gear!

Jonquille Fri 01-Feb-13 14:33:35

I have used the NHS one. It's free to download all the podcasts. I have done it last year in march. After completing it I have done the 10K one as well. And to date I have done two half marathons, after being constantly half dead or zombie like after a childbirth. Now my dc is 3 and I never felt better.
I really recommend it. It had the music with it. And the advise they give get you through so much very informative. So good luck and enjoywink

IdaBlankenship Fri 01-Feb-13 14:28:39

There is a dazzling array of them on the app store and I am confused <luddite emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now