Threads in this topic will auto-delete after 90 days.

How much and what exercise do you do a week?

(49 Posts)
BsshBossh Mon 28-Jan-13 20:20:42

Because I'm a nosy cow grin but also find it motivating to see what others do, especially for losing weight.

Cardio:
Monday/Wednesday/Friday at gym
Speed walking on treadmill 25 mins
Stepper machine 20 mins

Strength:
Tuesday/Thursday at home
Mixture of free weights exercises eg biceps/triceps/chest/waist/back 20 mins (may increase this to 30 mins)

And you?

TalkinPeace2 Tue 29-Jan-13 20:54:47

ceebee
we have a very singy teacher who keeps adding wiggles and mini squats
and mixes up old tracks (Ecuador is her fave)

shithappensx1000 Tue 29-Jan-13 20:55:12

Hot yoga ... sounds good! Don't know any where around here that offers that.
I am a runner...
Mon - rest
Tues - 5-6k run
Wed - 3-4k run with my DS (a bit slower due to running with my DS)
Thurs - 5k run (try to do a fast one - under 30mins) sometimes slower if with DS
Fri - rest
Sat - parkrun (5k) often with DS
Sun - 7-8k (building up to 10k), sometimes swim for 30mins (when my DD has her lesson)

In better weather I also cycle a bit.

I suppose I need to some strength/toning stuff but can't fit it in with family life and work.

ceebeegeebies Tue 29-Jan-13 20:59:10

Talkin yes Ecuador is one of the very few tracks that we do that has squats in it (although the last 3 lunge tracks have all had jump squats in them) but that is it in terms of cardio smile

In fact I do quite a bit of cardio with Combat and Attack and look forward to Pump so I can keep both feet on the groung wink

shithappensx1000 Tue 29-Jan-13 21:03:37

Wow McPie - I'm slightly jealous of your training program. My dream is too quit work, exercise more and do volunteer stuff.

Just googled Tough Mudder - looks like a great challenge.

Dededum Tue 29-Jan-13 22:07:09

You might find a Bikram studio - which is yoga in a hot room.

Snowkey Tue 29-Jan-13 22:15:19

My friend does hot yoga she says it's incredibly effective. I'd like to Pilates but I can't fit it in.

BsshBossh Tue 29-Jan-13 22:23:48

I am inspired by you lot! Will try adding in a body pump or body conditioning class to my weekly schedule.

McPie Wed 30-Jan-13 07:59:46

DTs started school this year and with the distance to walk them it wouldnt be fair in my arthritically challenged dad to do twice a day (as much as he thinks he can he would suffer for the rest of the day, its a shame as hes 60 wth a body of an 80 year old and the mind of a 40 year old) so I have free time for the first time in 6 years.
I am fully in me mode just now and Tough Mudder is paid for so I cant stop now, everything still gets done at home as classes are only 2 hours maximum in the morning.
I am not toned yet as I still have 2 stone 9lb to lose to get into a healthy BMI range but I'm working on it.

Monday - CX Worx (Core strength) & Zumba
Tuesday - Zumba Toning & Sh'Bam
Wed - other hobbie
Thurs - Zumba & Body Attack
Fri - off
Sat - Body Pump & Zumba
Sun - off

My favourite classes are body pump & CX - neither are cardio (leaping about like a loon) but I am always a sweaty mess and can see visible results!

ninjanurse Wed 30-Jan-13 09:10:18

Gosh, some of you do loads, am well impressed. I work shifts so cant stick to the same thing each week.

This week I am doing

Wed - zumba
Thurs - Body pump
Fri- body combat, might do body balance after

Try to do 3 sessions a week. Always classes as I find gym work boring.

My DH works shifts so that is the maximum I can do. I usually aim for at least 6 classes a week. Thankfully this week I can do them all as DH on holiday !

choceyes Wed 30-Jan-13 15:31:23

Zumba on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. That's all. Thinking of dropping the Tuesday Zumba class and doing the C25K instead.

Ihatemytoes Wed 30-Jan-13 16:02:13

Body combat Mon, Tues and thurs, Body attack on Saturday.

I love the Les Mills classes as they do new releases quite regularly!
Our guys don't do Body Combat, would love to give it a try though

KatoPotato Wed 30-Jan-13 16:06:46

Monday: BodyPump
Tuesday: Gym - Eliptical, Stepper and Treadmill, and weights
Weds: Pilates
Thurs: Off - sometimes a run in the morning
Fri: Gym - as Tuesday
Sat: Off
Sunday: Spinning

KatoPotato Wed 30-Jan-13 16:20:44

My one attempt at Body Combat saw me looking like I was doing pantomime pirate impressions rather than upper cuts!

I've heard hot yoga/pilates is a breeding ground for infections, don't fancy that!

teta Wed 30-Jan-13 16:24:45

Monday - personal training
tuesday - spinning
wednesday -suspension training
thursday -yoga plus 20 mins gym
friday -pilates plus Kettlercise
Weekend -nothing[dog walking]

tourdefrance Wed 30-Jan-13 16:54:15

walk to station and back 4 x week. About 2 miles in total once via school, nursery etc. Body balance x1, run about 5k, another run or 10 mile bike ride.
If I don't manage one, don't worry as keep basic level of fitness from walking everywhere.

BsshBossh Thu 31-Jan-13 13:00:54

I'm going to aim for 5 days a week now. This week I'll make it 4 times: 3 days of cardio (45 mins of treadmill & stepper) and 2 days of strength (30 mins of dumbbells). I can't do classes cause they always fall at odd times for my schedule. But I'm really loing the highs I get from an exercise session. I feel strong and powerful

BsshBossh Thu 31-Jan-13 13:01:01

*loving

CorrieDale Fri 01-Feb-13 20:02:43

Monday maybe a short run or a short DVD or personal trainer on the wii
Tues body conditioning (def strength rather than cardio)
Weds am Pilates evening Taekwon do with ds
Thursday like Monday
Friday rest
Sat Taekwon do
My thing is Taekwon do. Everything else I do is in order to get fit or more flexible for tkd. Which isn't to say I don't enjoy working out -I do! But tkd keeps me focused and on track. Previously if I missed a run it didn't matter coz it's just a run. But if I lose condition it will affect me in a grading and that really matters!

msbookish Mon 18-Feb-13 22:05:16

45 minutes of spin twice a week for a year shifted 10kgs for me. Without diet change (e.g. still eating moderate amounts of chocolate cake). That took me back to my pre-pregnancy weight which is to say that I had/still have a couple of kilos to shift.

Don't know if the fact that these sessions were at 6.45 in the morning added to their effectiveness but it did feel as if the sheer bloody-mindedness required to get out of bed in (what felt like) the middle of the night burned a few extra calories. I started in November which is not the best time to start something that requires getting up that early. It was hell at the beginning. It took six months to break the back of it (i.e. not feel like I was going to die on the bike). I think after six months my cardiovascular system just got a lot more efficient, it was really great and I still feel the benefits of it. At about the same time the weight started coming of really fast. By the summer all that spinning was burning 1kg+ a month, easily.

Had a cesarian and did manage to get back in the gym three months after, doing a bit of body pump. But it wasn't enough, had to get the deep cardio you get from spin to see the results. Will say again it was hell but also well worth it - I can sprint for a bus, climb ten flights of stairs without fatigue, and there is no way that baby can outrun me now. Would definitely recommend this regime for throwing of the worst of the baby weight in an effective, not too quick and not too slow, way. But it was hell!

If I were to do this again, which is to say, starting first thing in the morning, I would start in March as the getting out of bed in the winter months is really difficult. Should probably have changed my diet to speed things up a bit. It is not bad but not as good as it should be either, far too much sugar and fat, and is something I still need to fix for the long term. Sigh. And a note of caution: there is no point going to spin and coasting along in low gears or avoiding the sprints and jumps - other people did that and while I lost a lot of weight I have to say that the coasters still look much the same as a year ago...

I still do a bit of spin and picked up pump again but primarily get my exercise from playing handball. It is much more interesting, requires strength and agility, and is really good fun. You don't really notice you are exercising which makes a nice change.

Good luck to everyone - don't give up the good fight.

CooEeeEldridge Wed 20-Feb-13 12:32:14

Mon- double attack (one is lower impact though) , cx worx
Tue - combat and pump
We'd- pump and attack
Thurs- boot camp, combat maybe a short class after
Fri- combat
Sun - attack

Plus daily mucking out, and as much horse riding as work / weather allows.

Defo do a pump class, try and double up before / after a cardio class, you'll really start to see results.

CooEeeEldridge Wed 20-Feb-13 12:34:59

Just seen you can't do classes. Have you tried a personal trainer? Expensive I know, but just a coup,e of sessions will give you loads of new ideas to challenge you, rather than just doing the same old routine that your body is used to. (I'm definitely guilty of same old which is why I have to do classes!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now