Threads in this topic will auto-delete after 90 days.

2013 NEW YEAR JILLIAN MICHAELS FANS!

(1000 Posts)

New thread for the Julian Monkeys!!

Here's to a new year Shedded and Shredded, Ripped, with Killer Buns and Thighs, a 6 Pack, a Revolutionised Body and No More Trouble Zones grin

Any practitioners of Insanity, Turbofire and all other such insane DVDs come and join us too if you like smile

Rollergirl1 Fri 08-Feb-13 21:32:29

I use 2k weights but feel like I should definitely move up. Am really liking Julian in less shouty mode in NMTZ, BFBM and 6W6P. Although I still find that she makes (what I consider to be) really odd comments about her co-exercisers (?) considering that it's about women with women watching? In 6W6P she says about the blonde one (is her name Maddie?) "let's pick on the barbie doll". Why is she a Barbie doll? Because she's blonde and pretty? I'm sure it's an in-joke. But every time I hear her say it I get a bit vexed. Why reduce her to a stereo-type? She does the same thing in Ripped, talking about them being "oh so pretty", like she's some 50yr old misogynist. It really annoys me.

CHST Fri 08-Feb-13 21:50:55

notyummy hi!!! so good to see you!
I am about to enter the second month of chalean extreme...I am REALLY enjoying it a lot. I will need to up my weights for the next month. The first month is burn phase and the aim is to fail within 10-12 reps and the second month push phase 6-8 reps. I am using york vinyl weights and am going to buy heavier discs. You can get 10kg discs which would take you to 20kg per weight. I love the select weights but they are ££££
the cardio aspect of this (2x a week) is similarish to turbofire.
The third month is the lean phase which I think (not looked at the workouts yet) is lighter weights more reps.
What I like is that you can decide the weights so if you are having a bit of an off day, you can go lighter.

CHST Fri 08-Feb-13 21:52:30

oh and as an aside it is not as fast paced as Jillian so slow moving through the exercises which creates more resistance and does make the weights feel heavier. She does make you do super slow pushups also which are a lot harder!

MissTFied Fri 08-Feb-13 22:25:26

PeggyO - I am still undecided whether I would go for the whole Insanity programme. What happens to your body after doing such an intense programme? Are you meant to keep doing it? Is all the work put into it lost after stopping? Does anyone know?! At this point in time I'm happy with the bursts of F&F.

Ponks - I went straight to bed after work on Tuesday, and got up again at about 7.30. Just felt exhausted and couldn't move. Another positive benefit of exercise is that I AM WEARING SKINNY JEANS! Unheard of! Didn't dare before I 'met' Julian. I cannot believe how my body shape has changed.

Rollergirl - I know what you mean re Julian's comments to the dancers. As much as I love her, she does generally come up with irritating phrases which I try to ignore. I guess it's because we have to listen to her over and over until the next level.

CHST - I was wondering how you are getting on with Chalene. Do you find it drags at all what with the pace being slower?

Hi notyummy. Sounds like you are doing loads! I can't imagine being forced to stop exercising at the moment. Good to hear you are still obsessed.

CHST Fri 08-Feb-13 23:35:50

MissT no it doesnt drag at all for me. It does take a while to get used to the slowness and resisting the urge to go faster.

Re the insanity etc. Personally for me, I could not sustain that level of intensity forever, I would give up. I tend to alternate between high cardio like insanity and strength...it is good to mix things up so your body doesnt get used to it.
I am on maintenance as I really don't need to lose anymore weight. Too much cardio for me leans out my body too much. I personally prefer the look of a bit of muscle. Everyone is different in what works for them and their goals but long term, I think my ideal workout week is more strength than cardio. After Chalean. not sure what I will do. I think it is important to give your body rest particularly for someone like me who finds it hard to fuel my body for such workouts. I was hungry and tired during the second month of insanity purely because I wasnt eating enough.

Alligatorpie Sat 09-Feb-13 07:55:33

Can i make a recommendation? . If you haven't tried Jillian's yoga workout, I suggest you try it. It is hard core but pretty easy to follow and i always feel like i have done a great workout after i finish. It's on youtube.

Still doing the shred, it was day 7 today and i feel great.

Alligatorpie Sat 09-Feb-13 07:56:45

It's called Yoga Meltdown. I have only done level 1 but really like it.

PeggyO Sat 09-Feb-13 08:49:53

Oh, Ponks, I have only used 4kg in 6W6P where you only use one weight - so a lot of the time you're holding the weight in two hands which makes it much easier. Shred is definitely harder from a weights POV!

Nice to meet you notyummy! Sorry to hear you have had such trouble with your back, it sounds so frustrating.

CHST, thank you for your thoughts on Insanity / Chalean. From what you've said it sounds like Chalean is more the kind of thing that would be a good fit for me. I don't want to lose weight (which could be a danger with Insanity) and I'm really keen to build up a bit more muscle. And a programme more focused on strength would complement the cardio I get from running. But like notyummy it's the having to buy new weights in addition to the programme itself that puts me off a bit... maybe I should just start saving!

MissT, well done on the skinny jeans - I bet you look fabulous!

Rollergirl, that bothers me a bit too. I do get the impression that it is an in-joke, but since we as the viewers aren't necessarily in on it it just makes me feel a bit uncomfortable!

Alligatorpie, thanks for the recommendation, it looks like a great workout for those days when you want a slight change of pace. Congratulations on 7 days of shredding!

No Jillian for me today. I've just been for a cold and damp 5 mile run and tomorrow is my rest day so that's me done for the weekend grin

Jacksterbear Sat 09-Feb-13 09:54:50

Hi there. I don't know if you remember me (I remember 3steps, not yummy and a few others on here). I was on this thread ages ago, dropped off it around last spring but have not stopped Jillianing! And have also started running a bit too (can now easily do a 7 mile circuit of a weekend, which I'm quite impressed with! grin). So thought I'd pop back and say hello and see how you're all doing with jillian (although apparently she's been renamed Julian in my absence?!) smile

Good morning all!

Notyummy, we missed you!!!! Really sorry to hear your back is still giving you problems, but you sound like you have worked out a good action plan to work around it! Really good to see you back smile

My back is also giving me niggles so I'm having to be a bit careful at the moment. I'm trying out exercising every other day to see if it makes a positive difference.

Alligator thanks for the yoga recommendation - I might well look into that as a gentler alternative (or am I deluding myself?!)

PeggyO yes, being sensible is a nightmare isn't it!!

I hope to do L2 Killer later today. Have a great day everyone.

And Jacksterbear grin (x-posted with you!)

Really great to hear from you. I have to dash now but keep popping back and seeing us xx

gracelesslady Sat 09-Feb-13 11:29:01

Morning ~ sorry about your back notyummy. It's impressive that you're still jillianing even though I think you said you were waiting for an MRI??!! I think most people would use that as an excuse to lie on the sofa eating chocolate!

Jacksterbear I think I remember you too. I have not been jillianing... blush

Shred day 6 yesterday. Had thurs off to see if my knee would appreciate the rest, and it was ok yesterday. I'm mega impressed with the weights everyone's using. I'm only using (whispers) 1kg (tip toeing away in slight mortification....)

Happy Saturday folks grin

Alligatorpie Sat 09-Feb-13 11:54:58

Threesteps - there is nothing gentle about yoga meltdown. I'd love to hear what you think smile

Jacksterbear Sat 09-Feb-13 13:59:13

Alligator, yoga meltdown sounds interesting, going to have a look on YouTube.

Ripped L2 done today. That plank cardio circuit is still a b*gger! But it's one of the best all-round workouts I think, good mix of cardio, abs, shoulders and thighs. And it has some great quotes, including my fave mantra "you're not going to die from being uncomfortable". Love it. Has got me through many a tough moment!

notyummy Sat 09-Feb-13 18:24:58

Hi all. Thanks for the welcome back. L2 Ripped is one I simply can't do at the moment because of my back but I do remember that plank circuit being tough.

DH and I spent an hour earlier in the company of Bob Harperanf his Pure Strength thingie. So, so tough. Much harder than any of the JM stuff. Not particularly cardio heavy although like No More Trouble Zones you do get plenty of heavy breathing and sweating! Particularly brutal is the horrendous pressup into weighted t stand- over and over again at speed- when you have already been killing yourself for 45 mins. That said, the buzz at completing it is palpable.

Not sure I am flexible enough for a yoga meltdown at the mo although sounds intriguing. I know I can manage a downward dog into a chatarunga as I did that the other day in shed and shred!

gingercat12 Sun 10-Feb-13 14:32:21

Welcome back notyummy and jacksterbear!

It is funny how notyummy an do an awful lot more even when is not a 100%. I wish 7kg weights did not challenge me...

rollergirl I know what you mean about Jillian and the dancers. I think she fancies some of them. Especially Natalie.

If I survive BR, I'll try Insanity and / or Turbofire. Just finished week 1. Cardio 1 is really tame, so I just do it twice.

threesteps I love KB L2. It is such a good workout.

notyummy Sun 10-Feb-13 16:08:05

Ginger- the only reason I mentioned the 7kg was people have said that for the Chalean programme you need heavier weights as it is heavier weights and fewest reps. 7kg would def challenge me for JM (I only use it I occasionally for some rows and clean and press.) Mostly stick to 5kg (for nearly everything but not horrid v sits!!) And the thought of doing that Bob H thing with a 7 makes me faint!!

Notyummy Shed and Shred is the first of her DVDs where I'm actually attempting full push-ups! She almost tricks you into them so before you've realised what's going on you're attempting them! (you being me obvs!)

I was really enjoying S&S and am going to go back to it after finishing Killer Buns.

I did 2 consecutive days this weekend and so far so good. So L2, day 3, done smile I am PUCE at the end, a red, sweaty mess lol!

I'm attributing this to the fact that I barely added weights last time I did KB, and now I'm using 3s. (haven't added them to jumping lunges yet, I may attempt that next time...)

Hope everyone's had a great weekend... My old PC was slowly dying last week, and I work on it, so I bought myself a shiney new laptop on Saturday thank you mastercard grin

Sorry not to name check everyone but hope everyone's okay - the activity levels on this thread at the mo are most awesome <channels Julian>

gingercat12 Sun 10-Feb-13 19:16:06

notyummy 5kg weights for JM [fainting] I hope I get there one day. Hope you will feel much better soon.

threesteps Enjoy your new laptop!

fadingblonde Sun 10-Feb-13 19:42:31

Evening all!

Welcome back notyummy, I'm seriously impressed with the 5kg weights, I'm trying to work my way back to using 2.3kg...

Had a day off yesterday so did double Jillian today - level 1 S & S, and level 1 killer. I wanted to try and do L2 of S & S but dds were watching and totally distracting me so I switched to killer instead. I think I'm on about day 5 or 6 and I'm finding it easier except for circuit 3, it's frustrating as Jillian says that's the easy one sad

Jacksterbear Sun 10-Feb-13 20:24:32

notyummy, good to see you are still hardcore even with a bad back! grin. Nice work everyone. Tell me about Shed and Shred, I haven't got that one.

Planning on doing NMTZ tomorrow as working from home. If I say on here that I'm going to do it, I'm less likely to wimp out at the last moment! grin

gingercat12 Mon 11-Feb-13 13:08:03

threesteps I like the idea of S&S tricking you into learning push-ups. Will have to look into that.

Gingercat, yes she is very clever! There's a plank jack bit, where as you 'jack' your legs you also go down into a push up. And there are hip heists (also in Killer?) where as you turn you do some sort of push up. I can't go that far down but it's further than I've ever got before! For each of them, it's more of a faff to try and adjust yourself to the easier position than to just go for it!

How's it going with BR? Week 2 now?

Fadingblonde a double session with audience participation sounds very impressive!

Jacksterbear S&S is not up there with her hardest DVDs, but I've been really enjoying it until my back played up. There are 2 levels, each 1/2 hour, and the aim is to work up to doing them back to back, which is very doable, provided you have the time.

The set-up reminds me a bit of 6W6P (not sure why) but much less fierce than L2 of 6W6P! Good luck with NMTZ today smile

Alligator I'll definitely go have a look at yoga meltdown. I have all her DVDs apart from Body Revolution, so it would seem rude not to have it grin

Hope everyone else is doing well... I feel fine today so may get day 4 of L2 Killer under my belt.

Have a good day all smile

Jacksterbear Mon 11-Feb-13 14:39:38

Thanks for the info re S&S 3steps. Thinking of a new Jillian purchase, have not indulged in a new DVD since getting the Killer/Ripped box set about a year ago! Hope L2 Killer went well, I don't like that one at all (single leg burpees, are you having a laugh?) and tend to stick to L1 when I do Killer.

NMTZ done, woohoo! God I hate circuit 1. I have realised there's a common theme in all the Jillian bits I find really hard, which is that they are all hell on the shoulders. V raises in Shred L2, side-arm-raises in NMTZ circuit 1, surrenders in NMTZ circuit 4, and the plank circuits in NMTZ circuit 5 and in Ripped L2.

fading, "mad props" (as Jillian would say) from me too for your double efforts! grin

notyummy Mon 11-Feb-13 15:09:48

I know what you mean about shoulders killing you- there is a section in the Bob H DVD just called 'lift combo' that is three different sets if lifts over and over again, culminating in holding them out for ages straight in front of you and then to the side. Horrid.

In an effort to keep pushing myself, I have also been doing a daily push up challenge. Minimum 100 a day, up to 140 if feeling good. Full press-ups in sets of 25 to 45, depending on how strong I am feeling. Good because you can fit them in anywhere.

This thread is not accepting new messages.