2013 NEW YEAR JILLIAN MICHAELS FANS!

(1000 Posts)

New thread for the Julian Monkeys!!

Here's to a new year Shedded and Shredded, Ripped, with Killer Buns and Thighs, a 6 Pack, a Revolutionised Body and No More Trouble Zones grin

Any practitioners of Insanity, Turbofire and all other such insane DVDs come and join us too if you like smile

Happypiglet Mon 15-Jul-13 14:39:50

Did L4 Ripped this morning before the heat kicked in- burpees yuck followed by scissor jumps double yuck... but its ticked off. Will need to do early work outs all week as its only getting hotter here.
Threesteps glad the cake was moist- my DD loved her glitter/ football cake (what to bake/ ice for a tomboy footie mad girl without alienating all her little girl friends!)
Baked some teacher present cup cakes at weekend. Just tried a spare one (in the interests of research you understand) and it is still acceptably moist...
Anyway I am in danger of turning this into a Good Housekeeping thread!
Good luck to all those exercising later- its so hot!!

Cake sounds absolutely fab Happypiglet, glad it was enjoyed smile

Well done you for Ripping through the heat. Scissor jumps <shudders at memory>

ANother L1 S&S in the bag for me. Loved it today!! I was planning to go up to L2 tomorrow but I think I may stick at L1 for the rest of this week as I'm enjoying doing it. Maybe treat the levels a bit like Shred in terms of how long I stick on them - working up to the dreaded back to back again, which will hopefully coincide with the end of the heatwave lol

Despite the heat, I am LOVING this sunshine!! The only bore is when work gets in the way, tsk

Hope everyone is doing well smile

notyummy Tue 16-Jul-13 18:03:25

Yes that cardio bit in Ripped is tough!

Just done 20 mins on cross trainer followed by L2 shred. Am a puddle of sweat...

Jacksterbear Tue 16-Jul-13 19:43:14

Just done circuits 1-5 of NMTZ. Had to stop after 5 circuits as was sweating so badly my eyes were stinging, I couldn't see, and I couldn't stay up in plank as my hands were slipping on the mat!! MAN it's hot! blush <- sweaty beetroot face

Well done notyummy and anyone else managing to keep the exercise up in the heat.

Loving the cake chat grin.

Can I join the sweat gang? grin

Jackster I think I'd find pure strength the hardest of all at the mo, well done for doing the 5 circuits...

Done S&S yesterday and today and each time finished in a pool on the floor! Took ages for my red face to go down too!

The move that really kills me after the mc hammer dance thing in L1 S&S is that kung fu static pose - I mainly curse my way through it!

Big cheer to all of us sweating our way through workouts in this heat smile

Does a workout become more effective in hot weather?

Have a good evening all smile

Jacksterbear Tue 16-Jul-13 21:57:12

grin @ "mc hammer dance", 3steps. I always worry I'm going to trip over my own feet in that one (in fact have done a couple of times).

I stupidly thought strength might be less unpleasant than cardio in this weather but was very wrong!

Well done for sweating your way through S&S.

I'm guessing metabolism slows down in hot weather but not sure re effect of heat on exercise.

Jacksterbear I've been using my lightest weights the last few times with that exercise and I've nearly dunked myself on the side of the head with them a few times!

I have failed today! Just too hot and lethargic! I actually got half-way through the warm-up and thought I can't do this, so I stopped lol

Will mean 2 days off this week but that's not so bad. Is anyone else finding it hard to keep awake in this weather? Working at home is a bad thing as my bed starts calling to me in the early afternoon and my eyelids start to droop. I used to hate it when my mum or dad went for an afternoon 'snooze' when I was little - now I see where they were coming from grin

Hope everyone is doing well - have a great evening!

notyummy Wed 17-Jul-13 19:55:19

I def found the strength stuff hard yesterday. Being careful with how much I do, so a 5 mile walk and calletics DVD today. No time to exercise tomorrow and then L2 Ripped on Friday.

Happypiglet Thu 18-Jul-13 12:01:22

Hi all... Well managed another ripped L4 on Tues but have been struck down by a sickness bug so spent yest and today trying to cope with DC and the heat whilst vomiting every half an hour or so!
Supposed to be camping this weekend but cannot face the packing even... Lieing watching day time telly in front of a fan... Not a good time of year to get ill so much on with kids school....dam it....
Well done to those still exercising in the heat.. Looks like it might cool down slightly over weekend let hope so...

gingercat12 Thu 18-Jul-13 14:00:49

happypiglet Hope you are getting better.

Sorry for disappearing, but I am just sweating buckets here. And I am in the North! Did Ripped L4 last week, and 6W6P L2 this week, but even with the window open at 6am, it is a bit of a challenge. (Also what if the neighbour can hear me moaning and whimpering? Maybe that is why he is giving me those funny looks.) I should wash my hair in the morning, but then I would never get in to work. How do you ladies cope with sweaty, curling hair after a morning exercise session?

I also only do 5 days a week, as I just physically cannot cram in another session. But on Fridays I do an hour-long Bob-fest.

S&S will be my next purchase, you all made it sound very attractive. I want to say "I know kung fu" in a very convincing way (like in The Matrix IYKWIM).

Jacksterbear Sat 20-Jul-13 20:41:35

5 days a week is impressive, gingercat! I try to do 3 minimum, 4 would be a good week, and 5 would be a rare outstanding week! Have you ordered S&S yet? The Kung fu aspect may have been talked up a bit - it's not quite the matrix wink. But it is good!

Hope you are feeling better Happyp, that bug sounds nasty!

Managed L1 S&S today. Even though it's not been nearly as hot today I still left an actual puddle of sweat on the floor... nice! grin Was quite pleased that I managed one of the buttkicks sets with 2kgs weights held right up at right angles which really burned! The other set I had to do with the weights down level with my shoulders.

I do find the circuit with that yoga combination very hard on my back, does anyone else? Am I doing it wrong, any tips?

Ponks Sun 21-Jul-13 12:19:56

Thank goodness it is a bit cooler today - may even manage a circuit today - for the last week the heat has defeated me when it comes to Jillianing but I have been riding instead in preparation for my competition this weekend .... which was fantastic. Galloping and jumping cross country gave me such an adrenaline buzz I am still smiling! All the fitness work I have been doing helped so much, I didn't get breathless or shaky legged despite the heat & even didn't look too bad in the mandatory beige breeches!

jackster know what you mean re puddles of sweat - I have been finding it hard to do plank squats / jacks / mountain climbers etc as my sweaty hands slip on the wooden floor. Lovely.

Hi everyone!

Happypiglet hope you are feeling better, a bug like that in this heat must be awful sad

Gingercat! Great to hear from you!!! You sound like you're doing brilliantly smile Agree with Jackster, I might possibly have talked up the kung fu element! It's basically one move where you sit back on one leg (quad) really for 30 secs, it really kills though!

Notyummy hope your back is doing okay...

Jackster hmm re your back, is it upper or lower? The only thing I can think to help is to just really concentrate on your core so the load is taken off the back? I'm sure you do that anyway though. I wonder which exercise is causing it? Possibly the good mornings? I remember those used to get me when my back was bad, maybe reduce the weight for that and see if it makes a difference?
Also with the sun salutations don't overbend in the up-dog (I think it's called that) - I sometimes hear my back grumble when I do that.

Ponks - well done on the cross-country!! God that must have been such an adrenaline rush! Well done you for doing it in this heat too smile

Well I have 1 more day of L1S&S to go and then I have plan changed and might do a week or 2 of Killer Buns as mine seem to have melted a bit and are heading south... Then possibly back to L2 S&S after that.

Wow, sorry, long post! Am going to make a COURGETTE cake this afternoon. Sounds weird but apparently it's lovely and easy to make

Have a good rest of weekend all smile

Ponks Tue 23-Jul-13 22:29:57

I'm going for variety this week - started with S&S L1 then on to 6w6p - planning Ripped tomorrow ... just to keep the muscles thinking. Gutted when I remembered 6w6p has burpees in it, after the burpees in S&S the day before. They are so tough.

By the way - S&S fans - L2 has what Jillian calls "up downs" (high knees followed by an up down) - I've always done these as a burpee but (having watched a bit closer) it looks like you actually fling yourself right down on your stomach then back up? Strange.

Jacksterbear Wed 24-Jul-13 11:15:09

Ponks I like the sound of your week; love to mix up the workouts a bit to prevent boredom! I have only done L2 S&S once, but remember the bit you mean... I have to say I thought it was burpees too and hadn't noticed the stomach bit. I do rmember that I could only go at about half the speed that they were for that bit!

3steps it's lower back, particularly in the burpees/jumping back into plank, and the floor-to-up-dog bit. I think it must be that I need to pull my core in more to prevent my back bending back too far.

Managed 30 mins on exercise bike yest, won't have time today but should be able to jillian tmrw and Fri.

notyummy Wed 24-Jul-13 16:08:57

Still cautiously working away here! L2 Ripped doesn't agree with my back. Have done it twice and after the second time back was not good- think its all the time spent in plank. L2 Shred ok though so will carry on with that and move up to L3 of Ripped and Shred next week- may need to modify jumping so will see.

Just a quickie so no time to mention everyone but big wave!

Evening all!

How is everyone doing?

Have friends down tomorrow so I decided to stick with L1 S&S until the visit and then work out and write down a plan of action to start after they go.

Ponks I didn't know that either about the up down things. Will have to play it and have a look as I've been doing burpies too! (I'm not even sure I do burpies right to be honest, but I figure I'm throwing myself around enough for it do be doing something!)

I love at the end of the warm-down when she says "In this moment, you. are. safe" Makes me feel all cosy and, erm, safe grin

we're creeping slowly to the end of another thread - will keep an eye out and will be ready to start a new one when the time comes...

knottyhair Wed 24-Jul-13 22:13:21

Can I join you all again? I did rejoin earlier in the year when DD was 9 weeks old but my good intentions didn't last that long blush. Now I'm back into it and Jillian has been kicking my butt good & proper, especially through this heat! I'm managing half an hour of something whilst 7 month old DD has her short morning nap (DS is old enough to amuse himself now he's on school holidays). I've finally cracked open Shed & Shred but have only braved L1 so far. Has anyone done both levels together yet?
I did L4 Ripped this morning, with sweat dripping off my nose. Tomorrow I'm going to do either 4 circuits of BFBM or 3 circuits of NMTZ with 2 mins cardio inbetween. Glad to be back on board smile!

Jacksterbear Wed 24-Jul-13 22:53:09

Welcome back knotty, great to hear from you and well done for getting back into it. smile L2 S&S is insanely hard and I can't imagine doing both levels together but I think others may have done (*3steps*?). Very envy that your ds entertains himself while on school hols... only one day in and I'm exhausted from the non-stop demands! grin

Ponks Wed 24-Jul-13 23:44:16

Hi there knotty and well done for Ripped L4 - I had sweat pouring off me while doing L1 tonight, never mind L4! But yay I managed all the press ups in proper "on the toes" position today. Only 30 seconds at a time but it was tough - but a great improvement from earlier in the year, which is the main thing.

I've done the 2 S&S levels a few times but you have to set aside lots of time for it - together it is a good hour and a quarter. And it is tough!

threesteps I think I need a proper plan of action too! But every time I have written one down for the week ahead something has gone wrong.

Browsing on Amazon before & Yoga Meltdown will be available soon - anyone done this before?

knottyhair Thu 25-Jul-13 06:16:31

Jackster, looking forward to trying L2 S&S then! DS is 9 so he's fine for half an hour before he asks AGAIN when he can go on the x-box. Ponks, well done on the press ups - I'm still on my knees apart from weirdly the crow ones hmm. And blimey, both levels together, I can't quite imagine! I only asked because Jillian keeps banging on about doing both levels. I've just pre-ordered Yoga Meltdown, thanks for the tip!

gingercat12 Thu 25-Jul-13 12:08:14

Hiya knotty! Welcome back.

Jackster I have not ordered S&S yet, because (shock and horror) my 6W6P dvd died. It was always a bit temperamental on any dvd player, but yesterday 15 minutes of fidgeting and cleaning could not make it work (while I could have actually worked out). Obviously I have done a quick Shred (forgot how hard boxing with weights are - ouch!), and went straight on Amazon to order 6W6P. I am addicted to it. I cannot be a minute without it.

So back to Ripped for me now. I am sweating just by thinking about this morning.

Jacksterbear Thu 25-Jul-13 17:36:42

Aaah, gingercat, I feel your 6W6P pain! I have lent mine out to a friend and really miss it - L2 is poss my fave of all workouts!

Have done some Shaun T for the first time today (Hip Hop Abs) and loved it! V impressed with how he fits the instructions in time to the music, rap style. I'm sure I looked a total idiot doing it, but it felt quite cool to be hip-hopping. grin

knotty did u try L2 S&S today?

knottyhair Thu 25-Jul-13 18:11:41

Ginger. Hope your new 6W6P arrives soon and you cope with the withdrawal OK smile. Jackster I can just imagine you coming over all Beastie Boys that sounded better in my head. No, no L2 S&S today, I'm going to give that a go on Saturday when DP should be here so I can do something a bit longer. I did 3 circuits of NMTZ with 2 min cardio bursts inbetween, which was 30 mins and very sweaty! Will probably do 4 circuits of BFBM tomorrow, which is my least favourite of her DVDs so I'm not particularly looking forward to it, but in my anally retentive way, I like to rotate them! Hopefully L2 S&S on Saturday and day off Sunday as we're leaving first thing to visit friends for the day. Hope everyone is coping with the heat OK; has anyone had any of the awful storms?

Happypiglet Thu 25-Jul-13 18:30:40

Hi all...I'm back, sort of, not worked out since last Tuesday (yep that's right 9 whole days) as the sickness bug was truly awful...I still don't feel like eating which is not at all like me
So I haven't felt up to exercising. Well done to all of you keeping going despite the heat & DC off school. Mine broke up yesterday so in reality not going to get anything done between now and holiday which I leave for on Tuesday eve next week...
However I have lost about half a stone during this illness so not too worried about lack of JMing!!
Tried to find new linen trousers today but even size 6 Next ones were too big!!
Hi knottyhair I remember you from the time before last during early 2012 and then hearing you were PG on this thread! At least I hope that was you- you were one of the originals? Lovely to hear from you- tho slightly scared your youngest is already 7 months old!
I think I must get S&S after Greece I will get back into it ...
Keep up the good work

This thread is not accepting new messages.