2013 NEW YEAR JILLIAN MICHAELS FANS!

(1000 Posts)

New thread for the Julian Monkeys!!

Here's to a new year Shedded and Shredded, Ripped, with Killer Buns and Thighs, a 6 Pack, a Revolutionised Body and No More Trouble Zones grin

Any practitioners of Insanity, Turbofire and all other such insane DVDs come and join us too if you like smile

bettycocker Thu 18-Apr-13 10:42:32

threesteps, is it a joint pain or a muscular pain? Also, is it a sharp searing pain, or more of a constant throbbing pain?

You could try alternating hot and cold compresses. I used to do jujitsu and I tore a ligament. The instructor told me to alternate between ice and a hot water bottle. He also said that sharp, searing sudden pain = bad and you must rest. Throbbing muscular pain = train through it! However, you must always keep the affected area mobile if you are injured.

Sorry if that bored the pants off you and you know that already. blush

Gah! Just lost my reply to you betty!

To say thanks so much for the advice, and not boring at all - v useful! (and torn ligament?? Ouch, ouch, ouch!)

It's definitely a sharp stabby pain when I move it any direction other than straight - it's bloomin' painful and definitely feels like something's wrong, rather than muscular ache.

Will stay off the exercise but try and keep it as mobile as poss. Will also take some pain killers but want to wait until after chiropractor this afternoon as I don't want to mask anything.

Also great idea re the compresses - have to do them for back so I'll just extend the treatment area!

Thanks again smile

And sorry everyone for the Pity Party!

babyinacorner Thu 18-Apr-13 14:42:20

Hi- i'm a regular long term lurker on this thread and love all things jillian michaels! I have recently completed the body revolution box set and thought it might be worth mentioning that im putting it on ebay tonight if anyone wants to get hold of it cheaper than buying new! Currently doing killer abs which is fab- got to be one of my favourites. Also loving bob harper too for the weights.

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Thu 18-Apr-13 20:04:23

hi guys havee posted in the main area aswell but just wondered if you had any advice, what time of day do you workout? im finding evenings inconviniant as I have sooo much to fit in so was thinking of gettimg up befor everyone else and college to do workout it would probably have to be 5.30ish I go to bed quite early 10.30 at the very latest normally 9.30-10.00 does anyone else do this if so how does it work for you? also little bit worried about waking the rest of the house (smallish house and two dc,s)

Hi babyinacorner
Welcome to the thread smile Thanks for letting us know your e-bay plans, unfortunately I'm too skint at the mo, but I bet there will be people interested!

Hi too mothermilk smile
I am not a morning exerciser at all. I don't think I'm properly awake until the afternoon and I usually exercise late afternoon. There are plenty who do the insanely early morning shift though, so keep reading and I'm sure they'll pop up soon!

My arm is apparently a triceps strain, so phew but how on earth?? I've never had such a painful arm injury from exercise and weights, but just put me to bed with a cup of cocoa and it all goes Pete Tong grin

So rest and stretch rest and stretch for me. I can't think of a workout that doesn't work the arms in some form so I will just have to be patient!

Hope everyone is doing well smile Will check back in when I'm better...

MissTFied Thu 18-Apr-13 21:18:42

Sorry to hear about your tricep threesteps. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Mothersmilk - I get up at 6am twice a week to workout, and about 8.30 to 9.30 the rest of the week. I have to say, although I yawn away during warm ups, the 6am start is the best as I get to workout totally uninterrupted and can really concentrate. I creep downstairs, DVD already in the player, and put it on low. To be fair, even when I exercise later, the dc are so used to me doing it, they don't bother me. I used to do it after work but found it was a real effort as I was so tired.
You also get a buzz from knowing that's you done and dusted for the day.

Hope everyone else is doing ok and steaming on. I am still doing Jackie and getting quite defined all over. I guess my strict clean eating has helped too. I especially like clenching my bum and making it go hard! wink

bettycocker Thu 18-Apr-13 23:48:38

Thereesteps, is it related tou your shoulder? It kind of sounds like a forzen shoulder, but your chirpractor will know! I hope you get it sorted, so you can get back to your Jillian Micheals fest soon. smile

I did killer buns and thigs for the first time in ages, along with 6W6P. I dertermined to shift the last layers of fat. Has anyone else found that their fat turns really squishy before they drop it? Weird, but it happens to me. Could be PMT related though, as it's nearly "that time" again.

How are you now after body revolution baby? Are you ripped to within an inch of your life and do you now have rock hard butt and abs like Jillian. I love her too. She's one of the few women I could turn for, but she scares DP. Apparently she is too butch. hmm

mothersmilk, I do the mornings too, and often again in the evening. In an interview, Jillian said you should aim to work out at the same time every day.

babyinacorner Fri 19-Apr-13 07:13:03

Thanks for the welcome. B.revolution comes into its own in the second set of dvds and gets challenging in the last few discs -i have used the cardio workout from the last set of discs a lot as it is pure cardio. I have been alternating that with weights so one day cardio, one day weights etc.

I'm not where i want to be with my body yet...my overall goal is to get arms like linda hamilton from terminator 2! Spookily enough i saw an interview with j.m where she said the opening scene to t2 where she is doing chin ups was her original inspiration!

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Fri 19-Apr-13 07:36:13

thanks guys think I will give it a go saturday and sunday that way if is doesnt quite workout I can fit one in elsewhere and I only have to get up at six[;-)]

bettycocker Fri 19-Apr-13 10:55:02

Baby, you can do it! It probably takes years of training to get arms like that. Jillian said in an interview that she just spends a total of 3 hours a week working out these days, or something like that. hmm I'm sure she can't have a body like that without doing more. Maybe after years of training hard, she can do less to maintain her body?

I went jeans shopping a yesterday and it was most depressing. I thought I had made progress, but the changing room highlighted all my cellulite, wobbly bits and loose skin. My clothes are still a bit too tight. sad After stopping smoking a few months ago, it's so hard to shift the bit of weight from stopping. I'm short and all my weight goes on my stomach, back and inner thighs. It's so difficult to shed the belly fat, inner thigh and back fat. I'd ideally like to lose 10 pounds, but sticking to a low calorie diet is the hard part.

Mothersmilk, which workouts are you doing? Working out in the morning is quite nice and it's a positive start to the day.

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Fri 19-Apr-13 12:00:16

hi betty didnt train at all in the hols as we had guests and only managed once this week so far too busy catching up and being back at school iv got nmtz 6w6p bfbm and kbat aswell a shred really like kmtz and kbat but im going to try to do a different oneeach day six days a week going on from tommorow as advised by ds boxing trainerapparently its good to shock the muscles makes them work harder there for a more effective workout

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Fri 19-Apr-13 12:07:07

I feel your pain re weight gain and quiting smoking well done for giving up I bet you feel so much better.

Aw betty, jeans shopping is a nightmare at the best of times! You're braver than me - I never never try things on in the shop. I always take stuff home and try them there where I feel more comfortable. Lighting and mirrors in shops are often awful!

I'm sure it's my triceps but good news is it feels better today so I may even be back to it on Sunday smile

Re the weight, have you looked at the 5:2 thing? (tonnes of threads about it in this section). I'm not actually doing it but dip into it now and then for recipe ideas (I'm veggie and a crap cook and lots of their fast day meals are veggie-based). From what I've read it's actually not that hard, you do lose weight (albeit slowly) and it is sustainable as you're only 'dieting' for 2 days of the week.

Might be worth a read?

<waves to everyone else>

Hoping I may be back to it on Sunday so will check in then smile

...and you will defo have made progress. Don't underestimate how well you've done up til now...

bettycocker Fri 19-Apr-13 14:22:09

Thanks threesteps. Thank goodness your tricep is feeling better today. smile What is it about the mirrors in changing rooms? They are never flattering. That's a good idea about the 5:2 diet. I'll have to check out the thread. It sounds easier to stick to than a lot of other diets.

Mothesmilk, have you stopped smoking then? The weight gain is a bugger, but you do feel healthier. Although I was thinner last year, I found it very difficult to do any jillian Michaels workouts. It was down to smoking. I've heard the same thing about shocking your muscles. That's when you really make gains in your fitness.

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Fri 19-Apr-13 15:28:53

gave up about 5years ago put on about 10pounds and never really lost it, though at the time I was a stick thin 7st 4 so I ptobably needed it these days though with my aging.metobolic rate I need to keep the kreeping pounds in check would like to gain muscle amd tone up dramatically cant cope with all this wobbly stuff.

bettycocker Fri 19-Apr-13 16:10:21

Did you cough stuff up for a few months after you stopped?

7st 4 is tiny! You must still be very slim if you've only put on 10 lbs. smile

I was about 8st 5 in my 20's. I hit 30 and suddenly piled on the pounds. I managed to lose a lot of it, I went up to over 11st. It would be nice to get down to 9st again, I weighed that much before Xmas. It definitely gets more difficult to maintain your weight and lose weight as you get older.

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Fri 19-Apr-13 19:58:20

I guess im small but im short too 5ft,1 so a few pounds soon show, also im a big believer in that you can weigh very little but still unhealthy, fat, flabby ect I know people who weigh in at amounts that in paper id think shock but actually seeing them in a bikini would make me envy
I did find I coughed alot to begin with really mucusy I think the most dramatic thing for me was my increase in energy levels I suddenly had all this energy it really helped to keep me going (also im very proud and hate to look a failure)

Ponks Fri 19-Apr-13 20:04:58

I wish I could get myself together to do morning workouts but I'm a slow starter in the mornings & can't face washing my hair in the morning rather than the evening. (Does anyone else get a fearsomely sweaty head while exercising?)

Tonight though I'm having a rest as my troublesome knee issue has come up again - thought I was doing well after 10 days of staying off the "proper" squats but a session of S&S L2 (minus the last circuit which I knew I wouldnt be able to cope with) has set my knee off again. sad
I've been walking instead but its not the same!

betty re the cellulite have you tried dry skin brushing? I brush my legs every morning & it really does make a difference.

threesteps aargh at your random injury! How bizarre!

baby hmmm body revolution .. tempting ... <nips over to ebay for a look> ...

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Sat 20-Apr-13 07:59:50

up at 6am kmtz done! it was harder than when I do it in the evening but the getting up wasnt so bad and ifeel sooo good now. but definatly need to be more aware of form when I workout a.m but im hoping as it becomes routine it will become easier, typically though my usually early riser ds decided to lay in untill 7.30 confused

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Sat 20-Apr-13 08:01:12

also I hope everyone has a lovely sunny weekend grin

notnowbernard Sun 21-Apr-13 15:45:13

Hi all smile

Day 10 L2 Shred done. Happy to be moving onto L3! (NEVER thought I'd say that...)

Definite improvement in my endurance (though the V raises still kill me and I can't do them the Natalie way both times) and definitely have a more toned upper body

Just need my abs to firm up a bit! Still have a wobbly tummy... am not asking for a washboard, just want a teeny bit of firmness... wink

Hope the weekend has been kind to everyone!

PeggyO Sun 21-Apr-13 16:05:21

Hello everyone, it's been ages since I checked in with you all! I'm afraid that, for now at least, Bob Harper has replaced Jillian in my affections and I have been doing his workouts (now have five Bob DVDs blush) but I'm not sure if you want to hear me wittering on about how much I love them!

betty, I'm amazed that Jillian says she only works out for 3 hours a week shock What is she doing in those three hours?! That should be her next DVD...

Woo, congrats on getting to L3 notnowbernard! I think those V-raises are the hardest exercise in the whole Shred so you're not alone there.

mothersmilk well done on your 6am nmtz! I love working out first thing, it's always painful dragging myself out of bed (I start at 5.30 on weekdays) but somehow it seems to go a lot quicker at that time of the morning and I feel like it gets my day off to such a great start. I'm definitely in a much better place mentally on days when I exercise first thing!

Ponks, sorry to hear about your knee sad Is it the squats / lunges that cause the problem, or the higher impact stuff? Jillian's workouts have an awful lot of jumping in them I find!

threesteps, is your arm better now? You poor thing, it seems like if it's not one thing it's another with you at the moment!

Evening all!

My arm is much better today thanks everyone flowers I just did BFBM as it's the least strenuous on the arms (I think) and it went great and so far so good. I love that workout smile

Ponks so bloomin' sorry to hear your knee is playing up again sad Have you tried compresses on it? Or maybe thought about seeing someone? It's so frustrating when these things drag on ...

<wonders if Bob Harper has less knee action that Jillian but imagines not!>

PeggyO I'm covering JM's ears so she doesn't hear you!! Great to hear from you smile Please do let us know about how you're getting on with Bob as I'm always keen to hear about new workouts, and I'm sure everyone else is too...

How does Bob compare to JM? Is it much much harder?

Notnowbernard well done for getting L2 under your belt! I love L3 and find it much more enjoyable than L2, will be interesting to see how you find it...enjoy!

<waves> to mothersmilk and betty smile

Hopefully will be able to carry on tomorrow so I will check in some time then, have a good evening everyone...

Ponks Sun 21-Apr-13 18:46:43

Feeling very down as after 4 days rest (i.e. no JM workouts) the knee is no better so I think I will get a physio appointment to see what is best to do. I think it is the squat / lunge action as things like jumping jacks etc don't affect it. Whereas squatting down to clean the shower does. sigh.

bernard while I have had a sore knee I have done the abs / core sections of NMTZ and wow it really works your abs - can recommend those circuits if you want to tone up your tum.

threesteps glad the arm is back to normal!

This thread is not accepting new messages.