2013 NEW YEAR JILLIAN MICHAELS FANS!

(1000 Posts)

New thread for the Julian Monkeys!!

Here's to a new year Shedded and Shredded, Ripped, with Killer Buns and Thighs, a 6 Pack, a Revolutionised Body and No More Trouble Zones grin

Any practitioners of Insanity, Turbofire and all other such insane DVDs come and join us too if you like smile

Jacksterbear Fri 08-Mar-13 12:05:56

Oops I meant to bold that quote gingercat not strike it through!! blush

Guitargirl Fri 08-Mar-13 12:56:18

Hello all, I have been doing BFBM with level 1 of S+S on alternate days this week. I am intrigued by Insanity but I don't think am there yet. I sweat ridiculous amounts with BFBM so that's enough for me for the time being! The DCs are very interested in my new weights. It's a bit embarrassing though as they keep telling all the other parents in the playground that Mummy has different coloured heavy weights at home and I was not planning on 'outing' my exercise!

Good luck with Bob MissT!

Jacksterbear, you star! Well done on the double-session grin I know exactly what you mean, Shred's never as easy as remember it in your head is it? My arms still hurt from doing 1 round of full-pushups the other day!

Guitargirl, you can either be loud and proud about it, or you could say they are part of an intricate new kitchen implement you've bought lol

Glad your 'enjoying' BFBM - you can't beat it for a good 'ol sweat!

Well since my last post I've done Killer L3 again, and with today's repeat that will make 3! I'm going to keep with it for the week and then I can say I've done it. My buns better had be Titanium by the end or I shall be e-mailing her!

Have to say the 10 min stretch at the end of each workout has made a real difference, back slightly stiff but in no way uncomfortable, yay!

Catch up with everyone at some point over the weekend, happy JM'ing all smile

PeggyO Fri 08-Mar-13 16:19:14

Julian Monkeys! I have missed you!

I think I last posted when I was coming down with my sore throat of doom early last week. Things went from bad to worse and I ended up with a chest infection. I have a condition which means my lungs are a bit troublesome to begin with, so chest infections can be a serious business for me! Thanks to some hardcore antibiotics I am now feeling a lot better.

I started easing back in to Jillianing with some Yoga Meltdown earlier in the week, and since then I have done a couple of L2 KB&Ts. (Yeouch that hurts after a week off!)

Next week I'm planning to move up to L3, and hopefully return to my double sessions of KB&T with ES&S. threesteps, I was happy to read that you find the last circuit of L3 a relief -I find the last circuit of L2 really nasty with all that plyo! Side lunges with a hop, lateral hops AND star jumps?! I love the fact that even Anita and Natalie stop before the end of the star jumps, it makes me feel hardcore for keeping going!

MissT, I am so excited to hear you bought Bob's Pure Strength - so did I!!! I am going to get started after my final week of Killer, so maybe we can compare notes. At the moment I think that I will do 2 days of Bob a week, two days of Jillian (maybe the full L1&2 ES&S, if that's not too hardcore!), and two days of running - although who knows, maybe if Bob and I really hit it off, I will swap out some Jillian sessions for him...

Sorry not to check back in with everyone individually, you have all been so busy while I have been 'off'! You are all super-stars.

MissTFied Fri 08-Mar-13 17:17:27

ARRRRGGGHHHH! DID A MASSIVE POST AND I LOST IT!

What I wanted to say was, in summary:

PeggyO! I noticed your absence. You are obviously back in the swing of things now and looking forward to doing your scheduled workouts. I too am excited that we can Bob together and compare. DVD not here yet, and I'm not sure how I will work him in. Do I do total Bob as I like to do with each Jillian DVD? Or do I mix him up? Decisions, decisions...

Guitargirl - I know what you mean about not wanting to be outed. I kept my working out a secret until some people commented on my weight loss and now I have gone the other way and will bore on about Jillian (if asked).

It's funny watching people sort of double take at me and look me up and down, not knowing if it is polite to pass comment! I don't mind at all.

Threesteps - good to hear your stretching is working on your back. I wish I was still doing Killer. I rather loved the camel bit at the end of one of the levels. Almost home!

I did L2 od S&S this am. I think it will take a bit of getting used to! It dragged and there were several frustrating moves: walking planks, extended wrestling one and the crab. I don't think I was made to be a crab. I hope I grow to like L2. I did feel like I was getting a good workout though. Can't imagine consistently stringing both levels together like you did, threesteps.

Happy Monkeying around this weekend!

PeggyO Fri 08-Mar-13 18:07:40

My final L2 Killer is done! I really enjoyed it today. I shocked myself by managing all of the surrenders with 4kg weights shock It doesn't feel long ago that I could barely do the surrenders in NMTZ with 1.5kg! It's so amazing how our bodies can get so much stronger.

MissT, re. Bob - I seem to remember notyummy saying that Bob says to do the workout every day, but that she didn't. And if notyummy didn't, I'm not sure if I am brave enough to! Still, you never know, sometimes the exercise craziness descends and I end up doing all kinds of madness...

L2 ES&S is really long, I think there might be 5 circuits so the first time I did it it felt like it went on forever! Definitely feels faster once you get to grips with it. I hate / love the last circuit, where you do all those isometric holds with weights - they are so painful!

Guitargirl, I don't really like people finding out about my exercise either! I get quite embarrassed when it comes up as I know it sounds like a lot. I think sometimes people get a bit concerned too as I don't need to lose weight but there seems to be an assumption that if you are working out hard then that is what you're trying to do! I find it a bit frustrating that so many people associate exercise with weight loss rather than improving fitness and health. Anyway, that is an off-topic rant for another time!

Happy weekend all x

Evening all smile

MissT I only did S&S back-to-back once, but I'll take the kudos if it's going spare wink

PeggyO, great to see you!!!!
Sorry you've been so poorly but good news you're on the mend again.

I know exactly what you mean about exercising. I don't need to lose weight really either, and have had eating 'ishoos' in the past (nearly 10 years ago now though) - but because of that friends and family tend to think my love of exercise must revolve around the calorie-burn aspect. The reality now is I love exercise (JM mainly) as it has toned my body and I want to keep it that way! I also love the exercise too when it's over and, like you said, that feeling of 'wow' when you breeze through a set of something you'd previously really struggled to do.

Re the calories, I guess it is useful too as does help burn off my love of cake and all things chocolate grin

Did L3 Killer yesterday and took today off. Had to hump around some really heavy pots for my mum today which my back didn't like but I did my 10 minute stretch this evening which has hopefully fended off anything more.

Plan to JM tomorrow, 4 more Killer L3s then back to S&S, yay!

Hope everyone's having a great weekend. The cold weather is coming back on Monday. Why!!!!!!! sob

bugger bugger bugger (sorry!)

back was really uncomfortable last night and couldn't find a comfortable position to sit. Worse today, arrrrgh!

Going to take some nurofen in a mo and then stretch, and tomorrow I'm going to pop in to see a local chiropractor I've noticed and try and get an appointment. The fact it got much better (before the plant pot shifting) makes me think it could quite easily be 'fixed'.

So no JM'ing of any shape or form for the time being sad

Hope all mothers have had a lovely day with lots of spoiling smile

MissTFied Mon 11-Mar-13 09:44:40

Oh poor you threesteps! I hope the chiropractor can sort it for you. Sending you healing vibes!

notyummy Mon 11-Mar-13 12:11:20

Anyone done Bob yet?!

Healing vibes to you threesteps

Off to the physio today. Just walking briskly and my Callenthetics since Friday. Very annoying, given that DH did Bob on Sat and NMTZ on Sun....and the small matter of a 16 mile run on Friday. Grr. That used to be me.

Jacksterbear Mon 11-Mar-13 16:33:07

3steps and notyummy hope your backs can both be sorted out v soon!

Shred L3 done today (and have carpet burns on the elbows to show for it grin).

Was wondering, following on from the talk about exercise not being all about weightloss, what those of you who are not trying to lose weight have as your goals? I am mostly maintaining weight now (with the odd pound to lose here and there when the scales start to creep up a bit!) and find it's a bit nothing-y to have "maintain weight and generally improve fitness and tone" as a goal. I need something specific and achievable, but don't know what. Any ideas?

MissTFied Mon 11-Mar-13 17:03:15

Notyummy - I am awaiting Bob to fall through my letter box, est delivery date, 14/3. It must be rather frustrating seeing your DH go for a run when you can't.

I am trying to work myself up to Bob by doing extra sessions. Would you believe me if I told you I did not one, not two, but three Jillian's on Saturday?! I did S&S in the am, then L2 6W6P followed by BFBM in the afternoon. I had a few spare hours to kill, so I thought 'go for it!'. I must admit I felt it that night and the next day, but I enjoyed my muscles buzzing. I haven't felt like that in a while.

Jacksterbear - I am wondering about when I will just maintain, then I think, but surely there's always a particular body part that can be improved? I think that type of thing will be my goal, or maybe I will venture into stamina and running? I also just like conquering DVDs.

Bye for now people. Hope you injured ones get better soon.

Ponks Mon 11-Mar-13 21:29:33

Good God missT 3 sessions in a day? <seriously impressed>

I had a good day on Friday - starting to get to grips with Killer L2 - my strength & stamina are improving. Need to improve cardio fitness and stamina but it is difficult with my dodgy achilles - just walking seems to aggravate it at the moment.
Bad weekend though as had a bug & felt exhausted & achey so left Killer to DH.

Back to it today but stepped down to L1 - hey! suddenly seemed lot more do-able! Next time will add weights in more of the exercises. Must admit to phoning in the plank hamstring curls though - for some reason find them really hard.

threesteps ouch - hope you are feeling better & manage to get a chiro appointment. You aren't having a good time at the moment.

gingercat12 Tue 12-Mar-13 12:23:10

I second Jacksterbear's question. Slightly worried about how can you maintain your weight. That seems to be the hardest bit.

Threesteps, Notyummy and Ponks How are you feeling today? Hope you are slightly better. Or at least not worse.

MissTFied 3 sessions?! And all the ones I hate. How do you do it?!

W6 of Body Revolution. Yesterday the sound was a bit louder on the telly and I could actually hear JM talking. Was shocked to discover that apparently we "do these exercises so that we can have sex with the lights on" [giggles].

I am definitely toning up thanks to BR, very visibly on my arms, abs and my "buns" as she likes to call them. I have a long way to go though. By the middle of Cardio 2 even Anita looks knackered.

notyummy Tue 12-Mar-13 14:29:58

Jackster- when I was exercising properly my aim was usually to maintain my weight so i didn't have to think too much about what I eat. I don't eat piles of rubbish anyway, but do like a daily slice of cake and some cheese! More than that though, I liked the feeling if pushing myself and changing my workout every couple of months to challenge myself- so seeking how many full pressups I could do at once for example.

MissTFied Tue 12-Mar-13 19:29:06

Good evening all,

Did L2 6W6P this morning at 6, which I shouldn't really have done as I am supposed to be doing S&S this month, I just enjoy it more. I'd forgotten how much arm work is in it too, and I need that. Gingercat I am jealous of your arms looking ripped, and your abs! It must be encouraging when you look in the mirror. Your Jillian sex quote is funny! Oh and I did those 3 sessions because I consider my workout DVDs my treats now and had some unexpected free time. I guess also I'm just obsessed!

I would love a dance studio type of room with wall to ceiling mirrors when doing my workouts. I am not vain at all, I promise (we don't even have a full length mirror in the house). I think it would encourage me to get the form right and also to build on what I have. Do any of you workout in front of a mirror?

notyummy ooh yes, CAKE, CAKE, CAYYYYY-KE! I like a bit of cake too. I do a bit of baking with the dc so there's always something knocking round the kitchen which somehow somersaults off the work tops and into my open mouth.

Has anyone done any Jackie Warner or Jari Love DVDs? They get good reviews on amazon, just a bit more expensive.

Hello everyone smile

Notyummy hope physio went well.

Ponks, those hamstring curl things are my least favourite, I'm never sure I'm doing them right!

MissT and Gingercat you are doing so well! (MissT 'thunk' was the sound of my jaw hitting the floor when you said which 3 (3!!!!!) of her DVDs you'd done shock (and no, the thought of working out in front of a full-length mirror is enough to send me to therapy!!)

Jacksterbear that's a really good question. I've always pined for the wow factor that came from doing Shred for the first time round. I guess I must have lost a few pounds doing that, and the body shape change was so clear. It was amazing!

I've never quite regained that feeling, but try and use DVDs as a 'project', when my pesky back behaves that is.

I'm probably going to drive everyone mad on here with my dithering, (sorry!) but I haven't yet made it to the chiro. After 2 days of just pilates, my back feels okay again hmm So today I did my L1 Shred intro with my lightest weights and all feels good so far.

I have made a promise to myself that if it goes out again, I will be booking that appointment and will not come and moan on here as you must all be sick of it grin

Keep going all you fitties, and get well soon all you poorlies smile

MissTFied Tue 12-Mar-13 20:57:56

smile at your thunking jaw threesteps!

Well if your back feels ok then why not just do as you are and take it easy? of course if it goes again, then moan away, we won't mind!

Also grin at an image I have of you running screaming from a full length mirror to therapy! Funny laydee!

PeggyO Wed 13-Mar-13 17:11:37

Hello hello!

threesteps, poor you. You really have been on a bit of a rollercoaster ride with that back of yours. Don't feel bad about offloading here though, it's what we're here for - after all, we understand how frustrating it is to have to take time off exercise when lots of people would probably see that as quite a nice position to be in!

notyummy, hope your trip to the physio went well and helped your back.

Jackster, I guess I keep motivated by setting myself new challenges. Last year I ran in my first 10 mile race, and this year I'm doing my first half marathon. I make myself a new little workout calendar every month or so and try and make sure that I am continually improving (either by doing more double sessions, or more intense DVDs, or increasing my weights.) I'm extremely motivated by plans and ticking things off so it works for me! I also have a lung condition and seeing the improvements in my health has been a massive motivater - makes all that pain and sweat feel worthwhile!

Ponks, hope your achilles is holding up ok and that you are feeling better. It's always brilliant when a workout that seemed so tough at first suddenly feels easier!

MissT, massive respect to you for doing what I think may be the thread's first triple session! You crazy cat, you. Any sign of Bob yet? I'm going to start on Monday I think - I have a 10k race on Sunday and don't want to risk throwing anything too hardcore into the mix before then!

Ooh, gingercat, I would love to have nice defined arms. It's really interesting hearing your BR updates, I can't believe you are on week 6 already! (You're probably sat there thinking that it feels like forever since you're the one putting yourself through it each day...)

MissTFied Wed 13-Mar-13 17:21:11

Did another session of L2 S&S this morning...then BOB arrived! I had to give him a go, so managed to fit in the hour long workout before the school run. Wow! Do I feel worked out now.

I actually enjoyed it. Yes, it was long, but I liked the sliding countdown at the bottom of the screen to tell me how much time was left. There were some killer moves in there, esp the push ups into T stands, but tbh I was expecting a lot worse after reading the amazon reviews.

All in all I think it is a really good workout and certainly a step up from Jillian which is what I need to keep on top of my A game! hmm

I think I will be doing it properly after I finish S&S at the end of the month, but I might sneak in some more Bob when I can!

Hello hello smile

MissT you're first date with Bob sounds very hardcore! Well done for doing it after a L2S&S!

PeggyO good luck with your face at the weekend smile

Thank you both for not minding me grumble lol All good today though. I'm flitting round the shorter workouts as I'm still a bit worried and going quite gingerly. So I did L3 Shred with 1.5 kg apart from the plank row stuff at the end when I went up to 2.5kg.

I also swapped some of her abs stuff which I thought might strain the lower back.

And all feels okay, hurrah!

Will keep on this track for a while longer until everything feels a bit stronger.

Have a good evening all!

Race, that would be Race and not face lol!

PeggyO Wed 13-Mar-13 18:06:33

Haha, I was just wondering what was up with my face!

MissT, I am super-impressed that you Bobbed after a L2 S&S! How heavy did you go with the weights? I think on the back of the DVD it says 1-2lb, which is less than 1kg - that seemed a bit low to me, but then if the moves are tough maybe it's better to start light!

MissTFied Wed 13-Mar-13 19:10:26

Hello hello!

I had to scroll back to PeggyO's post to see what was wrong with her face!!! I wish you luck with your face too!

Well done threesteps for pushing on. You could just give up, but you don't. Admirable!

Bobbed! [laugh] I bobbed with 2kg weights throughout. I know you are a 4kg girl aren't you Peggy? I have never used two 4 kg, though I do swing around a 4.5 kg single weight for some of Jillian's moves on S&S. I just about managed with those 2kg. There were some tough bits where you just hold your arms out to the front, then the side, for what seems like a good while. Torture!

Do start it on Monday and let us know how you find it. Maybe you will watch it first? Re your 'face', what sort of time are you hoping to complete it in?

Where is everyone else? Hello? What have you all been up to?

notyummy Wed 13-Mar-13 20:13:11

MissT well done on Bob and L2 S/S. seriously though- dont overdo it and hurt yourself. And I can't remember if you are losing weight or not, but if not then you need to be eating plenty to maintain at that level of exercise! How do you fit it all in btw?! Always my challenge- 4 days a week at work with a long commute and a military husband often away. I used 3kg with the occasional foray up to 5 for Bob- but not often ;-) I still have not managed to do everyone of the pressups into t stand at the same pace as they do throughout (full pressups.)

This thread is not accepting new messages.