Keep reading about paleo diet but I don't understand

(14 Posts)
Attackofthefiftyfootwoman Sat 02-Feb-13 15:33:01

Yup no processed food ... its not the raw food diet, so you can cook stuff in sauces and keep things vared. It is a really healthy way of eating and when I did it the weight fell off and I felt bloody fantastic, sadly refined carbs sneaked in at xmas!!!!

The bit I love about this way of eating is that you don't need to think too much about it. Stick to fresh unprocessed stuff and you will be fine

StephaniePowers Sat 02-Feb-13 08:03:29

I honestly don't get it. Half of the foods mentioned on this thread are either dairy or modern strains of vegetables, and you're all cooking in 'complicated' ways, eating smoked food...It's just very healthy eating, this, isn't it? Very low carb but eat pretty much what you like if it isn't processed?!

DP and I are currently doing the Primal Blueprint which is Mark's Daily Apple. If you sign up for his newsletter, you get a seven day course explaining the basic principles.

The gist of it is to avoid grains and sugar and eat lots of fat and protein. He also also talks aout the need for gentle exercise, sleep and sunshine.

To me it's much better than some of the low carb boot camp stuff or more extreme paleo. There's no counting carbs, no special ingredients and it's backed up by a lot of science.

Tonight we've had celeriac gratin (double cream, garlic and chilli), roast peppers with bolognaise sauce and goat's cheese with steamed broccoli. I am sleeping so well, thinking clearly and have already lost weight.

BaDaBing Sat 26-Jan-13 16:53:21

Yea for breakfast I'll often just have an avocado and cup of green or peppermint tea. If more time I'll mane have eggs and smoked salmon. Lunch will be spinach leaves, lettuce, peppers, onion and chicken thigh. Dinner we will have maybe a seafood stew (tomatoe base, loads of veg and tiger prawns and scallops). Dinner is often hardest as I so often associate dinner with pasta, rice, potatoes etc. Plan ahead and use the Internet for inspiration. I feel great on it!

TepidCoffee Sat 26-Jan-13 15:59:08

Refined carbs are my nemesis sad

MrsDoomsPatterson Sat 26-Jan-13 13:15:44

When I did a similar diet (Candida) very strictly (coffe substitutes, supplements etc) it's surprising how quickly your body stops craving bread.

forcookssake Sat 26-Jan-13 12:50:19

I'm about to embark on it, doing a bit of reading and prep before hand. I'm giving it a whirl as it is supposed to be really beneficial for auto-immune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and in my case, MS. There is a more 'strict' varient called the AIP - AutoImmune Protocol that excludes eggs and certain veg groups too... but I'll start Paleo then mount up to the AIP when/if I get in the swing of it!
I've previously followed a low/no carb plan and felt really well on it, plus I found myself cooking and planning ahead rather than just grazing on the hoof. So I feel excited and optimistic, plus a bit daunted at the though of no toast, bread products and sugar. Ho hum.

MrsDoomsPatterson Sat 26-Jan-13 12:02:21

I eat lots of salmon, steamed veg, organic steak, eggs, almond butter on oat cakes (& coffee!) cutting out alcohol & sugar. I'm not 100% strict.

TepidCoffee Sat 26-Jan-13 12:00:17

It's based on pre-agricultural human diet, i.e. grains, dairy kept to a minimum. Have you checked out Mark's Daily Apply or Paleo for Women? Both very good resources to start you off.

So what kind of meals do you have?
Is it basically meat, fish and vegetables?

BaDaBing Sat 26-Jan-13 11:51:19

I'm doing it just now and it's great! There are a few different versions including one you can eat dairy but like the others i just try to stick to basic principle. No carbs, nothing processed and no sugar. Been doing it a week and have lost 4lbs. I only really have 1 stone to lose so hopefully after a month I'll be a goal weight.

Attackofthefiftyfootwoman Sat 26-Jan-13 09:05:10

I did this before xmas was great, skin cleared up, lost that pesky last bit of weight and felt great. Sadly fell of the wagon over xmas and need to start it again.

I used to think the same as cacks basically if a caveman would not have had access to it then don't eat it.

I can't eat dairy anyway.

Cacks81 Sat 26-Jan-13 07:00:24

I did this diet for a while, before falling pregnant, and it's good. The easy way to think about it is, if a caveman couldn't have it, neither can you.

However, I kept in milk and diet coke! Couldn't do it otherwise. Plus tea and coffee. I wasn't strict.

It's basically promoting eating everything natural, nothing processed. I lost 5lb in the first two weeks, then found out I was pregnant. When I feel better, I'll work on using the key principals of the diet again, but won't live 100% by it. Life's too short and bread is too good! ;)

StephaniePowers Fri 25-Jan-13 11:48:24

So, the idea is you eat like paleolithic people? Nothing farmed.

But which paleolithic people? Didn't humans live in every environment that we currently do? Surely if you look at paleolithic remains from around the globe, there's pretty much every food available to you that isn't processed or dairy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now