Stop Bingeing and Start Eating Healthily Thread

(1000 Posts)
SnowyWellies Thu 24-Jan-13 06:21:40

Would anyone like to join me? I am a yo yo dieter, a failed WW (could not bear the small portions) failed SW (went wild on Free foods) and I eat too much of the wrong sorts of food. I binge then starve and I want to get out of that cycle. I also enjoy my evening 3 glass of wine a little too much! I feel bloated, pasty, tired and I hate how I look in the mirror. I am about to hit 40, and I refuse to spend any more time hating myself. I want to deal with my psychological food issues, and I want to finally be the woman I am meant to be.

I am 5 ft 2 and weigh 11 stone 3.

My aim- to increase fruit and veg. To cut out wheat as I bloat very badly on wheat. To take as much care over my own diet as I do over the diets of my children and my husband. To not treat my body like a rubbish bin.

As of this morning. I am tired. My skin is pale and blotchy. I am very bloated in the stomach. I am aiming to lose 24 pounds, but want to do it properly and without feeling deprived. I want to make this process luxurious, with a focus on gorgeous healthy food.

Today's plan:

Breakfast - fruit and natural yoghurt with a drizzle of honey.

Lunch - home made carrot and coriander soup.

Dinner - fresh veg risotto.

I need ideas for delicious alcohol-free drinks. Currently I love a splash of grapefruit juice and soda water.

Anyone want to join me? The focus is on good food, and to deal with the psychological issues around bingeing and self hatred. I am not a psychologist, just someone who needs- and can offer support!

Weigh in days will be Mondays and Thursdays.

coolkat Thu 28-Feb-13 12:47:19

142.2 so still hovering around the same despite exercising and being fairly good. But hey at least no gain smile

Flossiechops Thu 28-Feb-13 18:14:45

Well done misswoowoo 2lbs in fab, half a stone a month is my goal so it will take me until the end of May to reach my target weight.

I'm really struggling today. I know it's a combination of weighing myself today and being off work. I could so easily give up but I have to understand that going back to binging has never ever ever made me happy. Not once have I woke up the next day and thought "wow that's made me feel better" instead a loathe myself - so my question is why do I find it so much easier to treat myself like shit than be kind to myself?? Answers on a postcard!

I am trying to accept that this process is hard, but most importantly that its ok for it to be hard. Years and years of binging will not be cured in a week. I wonder how long it will take before I stop obsessing though? This is why I don't like to weigh myself I see the scales and tell me self 'what's the point? You've never been happy with yourself so what will change?' But I have to change, I cannot spend my life in a perpetual cycle of self loathing.

I feel pathetic, most people just have a healthy relationship with food not this self abuse crap that has become me. I can think of so so many occasions that have been spoilt by my dislike of my body, from holidays to days out with the dc. I would like to hope that the more I don't binge the easier this will become. Please tell me it will?!! Sorry for a moan but I figure you lovely people will know how this feels...

twinklestar2 Thu 28-Feb-13 20:14:56

Well done on the losses girls!

SnowyWellies Fri 01-Mar-13 07:14:38

Good morning!!! Well done on the losses, and well done on the no gain cool! A no gain is still the right direction!

I also have had no gain and no loss - 10 stone 10, and I am REALLY pleased! Last week I lost because I had been ill, so to maintain that is a victory!

MissWooWoo 7 pounds in less than a month is amazing! And it is REAL weightloss, not a quick fix weight loss.

Flossie, you know, I am not sure most people do have a healthy relationship with food at all. So many people are secret bingers, or secret purgers, or even just restricted eaters who get anxious around food. And it will take a while to stop obsessing, no doubt about that- you have years of training yourself to think one way, and now you are thinking another way. That will take time.

labootin envy of your housekeeper! Well done on stopping on one glass of red. That is fantastic. I need a hobby for the evenings also.... well I need a hobby full stop really. I have never really had hobbies- I was always studying or working. I am really feeling that lack now as I feel I am not offerring my kids all the chances they could have. (I really really want to go white water rafting... I mean to look that up to see where that might be possible. Nowhere around me I suspect!).

Flossie I also wonder why I am happy to treat myself like shit. I am much more brutal and cruel to myself than I would ever dream of being to anyone around me. It is like I feel like I am not worthy of the love or respect of anyone, least of all myself. The binge eating definitely comes into the self abuse category for me. (not, not that sort of self abuse grin ) I need to work on that also.

Goals for me this week.

Food goal- continue to write down my meals in advance. Also, I want to add a goal of 'choose the best possible option' for meals.

Drink goals - no cal drinks, except I want to add a single glass of wine (125 ml) to my dinner, as this is a change for life and I want to enjoy moderate amounts of wine drinking to be a part of my life.

Exercise - I have 2 work at homes this week, plus a half day scheduled so I want to add an exercise goal and walk on those days for an hour.

This weekend I am determined I am NOT going to work, and I will take the Dcs for a 'nature adventure walk' (which means going to the forest about half an hour from us and just playing around).

Hope everyone has a GREAT day and a GREAT weekend!

MissWooWoo Fri 01-Mar-13 09:49:19

oh flos sorry to hear that you are feeling down and hope you are feeling a bit more chipper today. You're absolutely right when you say it is a hard process, it really is and there are lots of people out there who just don't admit to this which can make things worse because we think if they find it easy why can't I? etc. You know what though? I can't think of a single female friend who I know well that doesn't have one issue or another when it comes to food and or/weight, every single one of us worries about our weight and is usually trying out some different way of eating, you name it between us we've done it from A(tkins) to Z(one) grin. That's not to say that a healthy relationship with food is impossible, it isn't and at least we're here trying to do something about it.

I had a bit of a blip last night - couldn't sleep, had the worst aching thigh muscles from the gym and was just staaaaaaaaaaaaaarving so had a ryvita with butter and - ahem - a chunk of cheese. I did weigh it which sounds a bit obsessive but I am trying to stick to 1400 cals a day so that little midnight feast will be coming off of today's calorie allocation (healthy filling vegetable soup on the stove as we speak to see me through the day!). Anyway the point of me fessing up to this is that a few months ago I would probably have eaten that lot and then the same again and then probably a biscuit and then today I would probably have thought oh well I've buggered it now might as well have a GIANT CAKE but I stopped and went back to bed and have no intention of going anywhere near cake today, giant or otherwise.

Well done to everyone on their weight loss/maintenance, let's keep going!!!

MissWooWoo Fri 01-Mar-13 10:55:48

stove! what is this, 1953????

Labootin Fri 01-Mar-13 11:09:03

I say stove ...
I don't think I know any female that doesn't have some sort of eating issue (god that's depressing)

No weightloss to report .. But no gain either

No MAJOR binges (had a couple of glasses of wine last night (my version of Friday night.. Dh managed 2 bottles of wine and a couple of beers and a 3 am finish .. Which I'd normally join him in

Am planning a bottle of fizz tonight as we've got friends over for a BBQ (sooo Dubai dahling) but having a swim this afternoon .. We have a pool and a gym .. Do I use them ???

I feel healthier anyway and I can't remember eating proper meals so consistently

Lamb chops with big salad for BBQ dinner

I HAVE NOT BOUGHT ANY CRISPS !

have a good day all

MillyMollyMandy78 Fri 01-Mar-13 11:14:58

Hi can I join too... My weight: 11 stone 7lbs. I have also been a classic yoyo dieter for years. I only plan to weigh in on thursdays tho if thats ok cos ive also got obsessed with the scales in past so dont want to weigh in more than once a week.

Flossiechops Fri 01-Mar-13 15:17:26

Welcome millymollymandy most of us are weighing in on a Thursday too.

Labootin for gods sake now I'm really envy a swimming pool and a gym?!!<faints emoticon>! It's still so bloody cold here full gloves hat and scarf are still necessary sad How lovely to be able to have a BBQ in February. I think I would find it hard to have so much flesh on show all the time! But then again I wouldn't mind giving it a go! Do you miss the UK? I think I would only miss my dear parents, there's not much else here.

misswoowoo that's food sounds fine, at least it was healthy and accounted for, I'm very much like that though once I start I just think 'bugger it'.

Today has been better so thanks for all your words of wisdom and encouragement. Went for a 5 mile run in 47 minutes so feel much healthier, after just a few good runs i can always feel a difference in my body especially my arse Some days are naturally going to be harder to resist the binge than others i think. One thing I have done is throw all the junk in the bin including the Green and Blacks I just cannot have stuff like that here and act sensibly, it's like having a fridge full of beer for an alcoholic. Off to do the school run, hope everybody else's day has gone well?

coolkat Fri 01-Mar-13 18:41:43

Hi milly

Great work on the run floss. Well done for throwing stuff out - I often do this if I know I am going to be tempted.

I have friends for dinner tonight - just a simple curry and then roulade. I have ha a slice if birthday cake today though - but one slice and its mil birthday so not to concerned.

Thank god the weekend is here! grin

IamMummyhearmeROAR Sat 02-Mar-13 07:55:22

Can I join you ladies? I am 2 full weeks into my 'stop bingeing' regime. I have terrible issues with sweet things all linked to anxiety and comfort. I Hoover up anything and everything in the cupboards when I'm on a downer and wake up the next day with a sugar hangover. 2 weeks and half a stone down I'm feeling so much better. I'm on about 1200-1400 cals a day with sweet snacks limited to 2 rich teas or chocolate oatcakes a day. I feel I'm only a bad day or a Special Occasion- ( looking at you Mothers Day and Easter!) away from slipping so could do with a support network.

IamMummyhearmeROAR Sat 02-Mar-13 07:56:31

Oh my current weight is 11stone 5 and I need to lose a stone.

MrsPenny Sat 02-Mar-13 08:16:53

The bottom line is life is hard, food is good and it's not reasonable for any normal woman to ear low fat food, every day for the rest of her life. If you are able to stand deprivation for one day though I would recommend checking out Dr Michael Mosley and his 'eat, fast and live longer' (commonly known as the 5:2) way of eating. At 46 I was carrying about a stone too much so started this two weeks ago and I've lost four pounds despite enjoying a huge Indian banquet on my friend's birthday, peanut butter kit Kats, cakes and crisps on my 'feeding' days, but sticking rigidly to the plan on my two fast days. I've also found that I no longer binge on this stuff because it's part of the 'rules' and you don't feel the usual guilt and can just enjoy your treats.

Check out either the book or the Horizon programme (still available online) to tell you all you need to know. There are also some threads on here xx

SnowyWellies Sat 02-Mar-13 09:06:47

Welcome IamMummy, Milly and MrsPenny!

I am about to go for a long walk and am looking forward to it!

Me today;

B - yoghurt, fruit and 4 cashews

L - chicken and vegetable soup (on the stove - I say stove too!! - now)

D - chicken and vegetable crepes and green beans.

Had a roast chicken last night.... using the leftovers!

I have been intrigued by the 5:2 diet MrsPenny, and have read a little bit about it. I am worried about attempting it though as think it may tie into my bingeing cycles. So it is interesting you say that it stops you bingeing because it is 'allowed'. I know people have had amazing outcomes on it though. What do you eat on your low cal days?

I am determined to lost 2 pounds this week- I am going to really focus on that.... smile

Have good days everyone!

Flossiechops Sat 02-Mar-13 11:00:29

Welcome to all the newbies smile iammummy that is how I feel - I am only a bad day away from blowing it again. I was pondering this on my run this morning and I can only liken my binging to an addiction, alcoholics can never just have one glass and I wonder if my relationship with food will always be something I have to concentrate on. Maybe I'm wrong though, as time ticks on and we move further away from our last binge it may get easier? Hopefully!

mrspenny I too have watched the Michael Moseley programme and whilst it sounds great in principle I don't want the 'feed' days to become a reason to binge. Crisps, cakes, chocolates etc I just can't control myself around and I would worry I would just blow it.

No binging for 10 days now, I feel I have to really battle with myself though all the time. The weekend is especially hard though but have done another 5 miles up a lot of hills so should have a bit of flexibility. Have a great weekend everybody smile

Wereonourway Sat 02-Mar-13 20:13:23

Hello ladies, may I join you please ?

My name is wereonourway and I am a binge eater!

So much of what is on this thread resonates with me. I had ds in Dec 2010 and 2 weeks ago I weighed 13st 12lb(I'm 5"4) I was roughly the same a year ago so no yo-yo here. Just humongous portions and a terrible terrible diet.

I've had a shitty shitty year, left my abusive ex, found a lovely home for myself and ds and a great new job so things are looking up and I've finally decided to take action against my weight and shocking habits.

I used to eat and eat then eat some more and shove full fat cola down my neck.

I started 30 day shred 2 weeks ago but have also started jogging 3x per week so do shred the other 4 days. I'm sticking to around 1200 calories a day(not too fussed if I eat 100 more for example as its still such a drastic change). I'm not snacking anymore, no crisps, no chocolate and no full fat cola for 2 weeks, which for me is a record!

I have lost 9lb in 2 weeks (actual weigh in ot due til tomorrow but cheekily checked this morning). but due to my size and huge belly which hangs down I can't really "feel" it yet. I have a new determination, helped by booking a beach holiday this week.

I'd love to keep checking in to spur myself, and hopefully others on if that's ok.

Current weight- 13st 3lb
Goal weight(within healthy bmi range)- 10st 6lb

So still a bloody long way to go and although I do struggle at times I'm not feeling too hungry or defeatist. Yet!

Today I had a latte and a rasberry and coconut loaf from Starbucks(approx 550 cals) and made home made veg pizza with ds(again around 550-600 cals) so I'm hungry tonight but will allow myself a cpl of crackers with butter and a coffee as 3 weeks ago I would have had all that plus more pizza, a big main meal and gallons of cola!

Good luck ladies, I'm in it with you!!

twinklestar2 Sat 02-Mar-13 22:41:05

Welcome newbies!!

I haven't been good since Wednesday! Life had just got in the way. I tried to be good today when i went out for lunch and asked for the chips to be swapped for salad and they gave me chips AND salad argh! and then i had chocolate cake - naughty me!

But I'm determined to get back on it from tomorrow morning and aiming for another pound off by Wednesday weigh in.

Labootin Sun 03-Mar-13 04:15:38

Start of the week for me, dc's are at school, dh is at work
Have had a bellavita biscuit thing and a cup of tea... I don't think it's going to keep me satisfied til lunch though .. I should have had my oats and fruit

Yesterday went well (ish) but I could and can do better
Am tempted by the 5 2 thing .

Plan today:
No booze
Soup for lunch
meat and veg dinner

Oh and welcome newbies

SnowyWellies Sun 03-Mar-13 07:09:29

Welcome newbies!

Wereonourway you have made so many big changes in the past year! good for you! You sound really strong and positive. Welcome!

Life does indeed get in the way sometimes twinkle. But back on and that is great.

Labootin what soups do you make for lunch? I am fast running out of inspiration. I tend to do veg or tomato based soups. Quite bored now.

I had an okay day yesterday. Walked for an hour and a half and really enjoyed it. Want to do that every day that I can feasibly do it. Ate mounds of soup for lunch (all the soup in fact), then a friend came around with a bottle of rose and shared that with her.

Today:

B - yoghurt and fruit

L - Not sure now I have run out of soup! Maybe a toasted club with no mayo and lots of salad veg.

D - salmon kebabs with green beans and rice.

I hope to have a good walk today as well, but we will be running around a bit with chores and obligations so that may not happen.

Labootin Sun 03-Mar-13 07:28:42

morning Snowy
must admit I have tried to make my own and I prefer opening a tin [sacrilege]

I generally buy the waitrose love life range, or baxters stay full (the beetroot and buckwheat despite sounding very worthy is lovely)

it's 11.30 here and I'm off out in a min just had a cheese sandwich (but it was only one I could cheerfully eaten 3 x ) it's too hot for soup and I'm in a very grumpy mood Probably because I've eaten the nutritional equivalent of cardboard this morning

Bah !

BambieO Sun 03-Mar-13 11:35:57

Please can I join? smile

I stayed up for hours last night reading this thread and it's so motivational! I like that you are all so supportive even when people have 'slip ups' not bad days as I can see they are forbidden language grin

I started healthy eating last Wednesday but my motivation was dwindling. I have basically cut out wine and junk food but it's so hard sad

After reading your thread I went out this morning and bought my first set of scales, the damage done getting on them was enough to scar me for life haha.

I am also going to try my first 30 day shred today curtesy of YouTube.

You are all doing fabulously, it really is great motivation. I will be weighing in on Wednesdays so fingers crossed I drop 1lb between now and then

BambieO Sun 03-Mar-13 12:11:17

Who knew the 30 day shred stage 1 would leave me feeling like I am half dead!

It definitely has the shock factor I can't believe how unfit I am! On the plus side I really feel like I have had a workout. I did start jogging a while back but gave up in the cold weather. This shred makes me feel much more worn out and in the comfort of my own home! Just did it while DS was napping. It's fab that it's so short but still works you all over.

twinklestar2 Sun 03-Mar-13 12:28:32

Welcome Bambi! I did the shred before I got married and yes it really does work. I also like fact that its over quickly :D

What's your menu today?

Mine is:

Fruit and yoghurt

Something with salad for lunch

Chicken and veg for dinner

Wine has crept into my menu recently, must cut it out again!!

BambieO Sun 03-Mar-13 12:37:04

Hi twinkle!

Did it make a visible difference? I really want to see some chanes in 30 days to keep me on track.

My menu is

Breakfast: 1 weetabix and milk with a glass of orange juice

Lunch: strawberries, blueberries and natural yoghurt

Dinner: chicken Shish kebab with lots of salad and no sauce

Snacks: activist fat free yoghurt or gherkins which I seem addicted to at the minute!

I'm hoping this will be a good start in itself as usually it's

Breakfast: fry up

Lunch: sandwich/ crisps/ eating out (not healthily)

Dinner: four sausages, a ton of mash, yorkies and veg

Snacks: crisps/ whole big bag of m and m's

Wine: half a bottle-a bottle

Gosh when I write it like that no wonder I am unhappy!

BambieO Sun 03-Mar-13 12:37:52

*activia not activist grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.