Stop Bingeing and Start Eating Healthily Thread

(1000 Posts)
SnowyWellies Thu 24-Jan-13 06:21:40

Would anyone like to join me? I am a yo yo dieter, a failed WW (could not bear the small portions) failed SW (went wild on Free foods) and I eat too much of the wrong sorts of food. I binge then starve and I want to get out of that cycle. I also enjoy my evening 3 glass of wine a little too much! I feel bloated, pasty, tired and I hate how I look in the mirror. I am about to hit 40, and I refuse to spend any more time hating myself. I want to deal with my psychological food issues, and I want to finally be the woman I am meant to be.

I am 5 ft 2 and weigh 11 stone 3.

My aim- to increase fruit and veg. To cut out wheat as I bloat very badly on wheat. To take as much care over my own diet as I do over the diets of my children and my husband. To not treat my body like a rubbish bin.

As of this morning. I am tired. My skin is pale and blotchy. I am very bloated in the stomach. I am aiming to lose 24 pounds, but want to do it properly and without feeling deprived. I want to make this process luxurious, with a focus on gorgeous healthy food.

Today's plan:

Breakfast - fruit and natural yoghurt with a drizzle of honey.

Lunch - home made carrot and coriander soup.

Dinner - fresh veg risotto.

I need ideas for delicious alcohol-free drinks. Currently I love a splash of grapefruit juice and soda water.

Anyone want to join me? The focus is on good food, and to deal with the psychological issues around bingeing and self hatred. I am not a psychologist, just someone who needs- and can offer support!

Weigh in days will be Mondays and Thursdays.

twinklestar2 Tue 26-Feb-13 12:04:16

Good luck on the countdown to getting out of there snowy!

Good day yesterday, aiming for another today esp as I'm at a black tie do tomorrow and I'm having to buy a new dress as nothing I have already fits me sad

Menu

Bacon and egg in a bagel - at a conference all day so wanted something filling so I wouldn't have to get lunch

Out shopping tonight so might have to have a healthy dinner out, if home I made beef rendang yesterday so will have that.

Prob have a skinny latte in there too to keep me going

twinklestar2 Tue 26-Feb-13 12:04:41

Meant aiming for another good day today

Flossiechops Tue 26-Feb-13 19:39:41

You all seem to eat very healthily. Although sticking to my 1200 kcal my day was like this

Breakfast - nothing

Lunch - low fat cheese and cucumber sandwich on Multi grain bread, snack-a-jacks

Dinner - cheese on toast

Snacks - Rocky biscuit bar

Work is hell at the minute (I'm a nurse) we literally don't stop all day. I'm exhausted when I get home but did manage a run yesterday. I need to make meals healthier but haven't planned very well prior to my long stretch at work. Off after tomorrow until Tuesday so intend to meal plan better and lots of running. First weigh in on Thursday and hoping for a 3lb loss. snowy I know what it's like to work problems, my place is literally a nightmare at the minute (too many patients and not enough nurses - lots of stress) and I'm very envy, have you got another job to go to?

I haven't binged for a week now and today has been the only day I have been tempted, maybe it's due to a long day at work I'm not sure. I have resisted but its not easy. I just keep trying to think of the summer months and how I would feel to be slim and in control of myself. Hope everybody else's day went well smile

SnowyWellies Tue 26-Feb-13 19:53:15

Hi Flossie, my DMother was a nurse and I know what a stressful job it was then never mind now, so my synpathies.

No other job. It is a risky decision, but last year I possibly had a bit of a breakdown, and finally DH and I agreed that both my physical and mental health was suffering. We were lucky that he got a better paying job, which will bridge a gap for us a bit, and so I am taking the summer off, then will start looking for work, or will re-train. I am currently looking into doing a psychology degree.... but am in no state right now to make any proper decisions, so have given myself the summer off.

I have a few consultancies lined up that will take me until the end of April, but that was mainly because I had committed to things. If I could, I would finish completely now. I feel very lucky that we have a bit of a breather so I can rest up a bit, but also quite frightened about stepping out of the worforce at 40.

So, the future is uncertain! But, I hope much much better than the past couple of years have been. I could not have carried on for much longer. I have been so burned out, that on New Year's eve (when I had a major deadline!) I was sitting at my desk just shaking. While my DH and my DCs went to a party I was meant to be at.

Flossiechops Tue 26-Feb-13 20:35:47

That sounds so miserable hmm well I'm glad to hear that you can have some breathing space at least. I had been juggling 2 contracts (both nursing) for the past 5 yrs which meant a 45 hr + week, I gave up the one just before christmas and the relief was enormous. I now just do 3 days (22.5hrs) and whilst money is tighter my mental health is so much better. I have been toying with the idea of going to 4 days but it's too stressful plus the dc are only 8 & 9. I want to spend the time with them during the holidays whilst they are still young so I'm just doing a bit of over time here and there. I'm sure stress has a lot to do with binging!

Labootin Wed 27-Feb-13 03:22:29

Sneaking in to admit to an EPIC fail

lovely healthy eating .. Then dh had an unexpected night out somi plonked myselfmon the sofa

One glass of red turned into a bottle, and I found a family size pack of crisps at the back of the cupboard as I was eating them I wasn't really enjoying them but I still fricking chowed them down

I have a headache and feel like crap.

Sorry my posts seem really self absorbed (told you I was shallow)

Flossiechops Wed 27-Feb-13 07:01:51

snowy I didn't mean to post that face it was meant to be a sad one but I can't tell the difference on my bloody iPhone!

labootin your not shallow at all, you have done exactly what I do. Mine is usually chocolate though. I shovell it down to the point where I feel physically sick but then I still keep forcing it down my throat. I have no idea why I behave in such a way, it's like a self destruct button that I press! Admitting it and trying to change is hard sad At the minute though I'm doing ok and haven't binged in a week, I cannot carry on through my late 30s like this, I want to like myself infact I want to love myself. I know there is a slim confident happy woman inside me somewhere! Lets keep posting, good or bad it may be like therapy.

My dh is not supportive, he comments when I put on weight and so I have become a secret binger for fear of his judgement which makes me feel even worse. We aren't going through a good patch at the minute to be honest, hey ho we've been here before. Have a good day everybody smile

SnowyWellies Wed 27-Feb-13 09:00:04

Morning everyone.

Thanks for comments Flossie. I am so glad you could give up one contract- 45 + hours sounds horrendous. It is a quality of life issue especially with little ones, and I feel so so lucky that although things will be tight, as you say,I can take a bit of time to regroup. I think stress has alot to do with bingeing too! I hope this year to really concentrate on my halth- i know my unhealthy behaviours- my self destructive approach to food, and i am keen to sort it.

labootin I would have done EXACTLY the same! Anyway- you recognise you got little joy out of eating all those crisps.

I shared an entire bottle of red last night with DH, so my 1 glass plan went out th window, and i know i will have put on weight tomorrow, but i am going to be relaxed about it. Have to concentrate on work until a deadline by COB tomorrow, so will focus on that.

Have a great day everyone!

SnowyWellies Wed 27-Feb-13 09:17:29

To add, I am sorry Flossie that your DH is not supportive. Being judged does not help and is so demoralising. thanks

twinklestar2 Wed 27-Feb-13 12:08:24

Lost 5lbs!! Now 10st 12. Never want to see the 11s again!

SnowyWellies Wed 27-Feb-13 12:30:20

CONGRATULATIONS TWINKLE!!!!

That is fantastic!!!!!

MissWooWoo Wed 27-Feb-13 13:02:38

Oh I am a terrible booze hound once I get going and quite often will dip into a second bottle and/or quadruple gins/vodkas/whatever I can lay my hands on wine, it's a big stress reliever for me, not that I have any stress in my life to speak of

Well done Twinkle great weight loss, I'll be joining y'all on the weigh in tomorrow

Flossie can I just say that had I have been logging my food on here before 27th January when I decided to kick myself up the arse, you would have been appalled at some of the shit I was shovelling down my throat and since then I had a 5 day stint where I totally fell off the wagon and I didn't even log on to this thread. Yeah so you had a Rocky Bar but the wonderful thing is you only had 1 and you stayed within your calories. We're aiming to stop at 1 or 2 and not scoff the whole packet so I say that in itself is a major bloody triumph. I've been having a small something every night for the past week - a stick of kit kat (dp has the other half) a couple of chocolate fingers etc and am pleased that I've been able to stick at that. If only I could could do the same with wine grin

Fish stew with sour dough bread for dinner

Labootin Wed 27-Feb-13 13:07:12

big whoop for Twinkle that's fab !

well it's 5pm here and so far Im on plan ...
Dh has got a conference call booked for 8pm which is my (kids in bed sit on sofa chilllllllllll ahem ...danger time ) I may have to sit on my hands/get out some serious bondage gear

Labootin Wed 27-Feb-13 13:09:32

I was joking about the bondage stuff btw .. Have just read my post back and it sounds slightly too much like over sharing grin

twinklestar2 Wed 27-Feb-13 14:01:55

Somebody upthread said 'my body is not a dustbin' and that has really helped me this week. Labootin - big mug of a hot drink during danger time might help?

SnowyWellies Wed 27-Feb-13 15:05:00

Or do a megaload of ironing/ clear out your drawers?

Sitting on the sofa is my danger time also.... that is when I feel like a glass of wine.

i KNOW I will have put weight on tomorrow, but i feel slimmer! I am squished into size 12 trousers, they are tight but not unbearable though.

MissWooWoo Wed 27-Feb-13 18:27:23

whoa! let's not go too far snowy .. step away from the ironing!

coolkat Wed 27-Feb-13 18:30:44

Cleaner eating snow so perhaps not bloated like we get when eat crap all the while.

The sweets are gone - hurrah so no picking at them. Not going to make my exercise target this week as not feeling great but food wise ok blush

Laboutin sorry dh unsupportive.

Hi everyone else. Soon be Friday smile

coolkat Wed 27-Feb-13 18:32:53

Ps well done twinkle grin

Re wine I am not keen on it but if I go out will have a glass to be sociable but don't drink at home. Often wished I fancied a glass but am boring and have tea and biscuits!

Flossiechops Wed 27-Feb-13 19:00:42

twinklestar that's faaaabulous!! I'm due to Weigh in tomorrow for the first time but I may leave it another week as I'm scared if they don't say I've lost at least a stone in a week in may give up!

Well after 5 hellish days at work I'm off for the next 5 days so I intend to do some longer runs, around 5-6 miles. It's so nice to know I am not the only one who struggles massively with food though and controling the urge, its like having an addiction. My student who I mentored over the past 4 months is leaving tomorrow and has bought me a box of Green and Black so I've eaten a couple. My twat of a husband has just asked me why I'm eating chocolate. This is from the man who has stuffed his face with kebab and chips god I wouldn't mind if I was married to Brad bloody Pitt!!!

coolkat Wed 27-Feb-13 19:40:02

Oh Floss grrrr at your DH x

Flossiechops Wed 27-Feb-13 20:03:19

Sorry I will stop slagging my dh off now!!!

Labootin Thu 28-Feb-13 04:05:27

Had a glass of red .. But then stopped and had a big mug of tea so not all is lost.

I need a hobby for evenings .. The tv here is crap,might attempt knitting again.

I have a live in housekeeper (not unusual in the ME) so no ironing pile, no chores ... YY I know the heart bleeds

Starting to like my breakfasts (went kerrrrayzeee and had a chopped banana with my oats and nuts and yoghurt combo) During the day I'm fine

Flossie were you ranting for an hour ? grin

Flossiechops Thu 28-Feb-13 06:57:19

labootin I'm always ranting wink are you royalty? grin I'm jealous of the heat though the winter here has been a very long tough one, lots of snow and the kids have a crap quality of life for months as its been so cold sad

Anyway first weigh in today and ...........5lbs off!!! Wooohoooooo! So 10st 10lbs down to 10st 5lb, still disgusting but better than last week so it's onwards and downwards. I'm going to take the dc to school them I'm off to run through the local park. Have a fab day all x

MissWooWoo Thu 28-Feb-13 08:00:36

Yay flossie!!! What a lovely boost for you - take that Flossie's dh wink

2lbs down here (well 2.24 to be exact) so that's a grand total of 7lbs since the end of Jan and i'm now back under 13 stone. My usual reaction to that would be pah! rubbish! (I once lost 8lbs in 5 days on Dukan but put almost all of it back on over the following weekend hmm) but I'm done with that mentality - I've lost half a stone, it will
stay off and I'm going to keep at it.

This thread is not accepting new messages.