Stop Bingeing and Start Eating Healthily Thread

(1000 Posts)
SnowyWellies Thu 24-Jan-13 06:21:40

Would anyone like to join me? I am a yo yo dieter, a failed WW (could not bear the small portions) failed SW (went wild on Free foods) and I eat too much of the wrong sorts of food. I binge then starve and I want to get out of that cycle. I also enjoy my evening 3 glass of wine a little too much! I feel bloated, pasty, tired and I hate how I look in the mirror. I am about to hit 40, and I refuse to spend any more time hating myself. I want to deal with my psychological food issues, and I want to finally be the woman I am meant to be.

I am 5 ft 2 and weigh 11 stone 3.

My aim- to increase fruit and veg. To cut out wheat as I bloat very badly on wheat. To take as much care over my own diet as I do over the diets of my children and my husband. To not treat my body like a rubbish bin.

As of this morning. I am tired. My skin is pale and blotchy. I am very bloated in the stomach. I am aiming to lose 24 pounds, but want to do it properly and without feeling deprived. I want to make this process luxurious, with a focus on gorgeous healthy food.

Today's plan:

Breakfast - fruit and natural yoghurt with a drizzle of honey.

Lunch - home made carrot and coriander soup.

Dinner - fresh veg risotto.

I need ideas for delicious alcohol-free drinks. Currently I love a splash of grapefruit juice and soda water.

Anyone want to join me? The focus is on good food, and to deal with the psychological issues around bingeing and self hatred. I am not a psychologist, just someone who needs- and can offer support!

Weigh in days will be Mondays and Thursdays.

Rachtoteach Tue 12-Feb-13 10:19:03

Hi Snowy, thanks for the welcome. I think you are doing the right thing taking it meal by meal, at least until you feel focused again. I quite enjoyed my 'clean' breakky today - fat free natural yoghurt with some blueberries and pecan nuts stirred in. Bit of a boring lunch planned - sesame ryvittas with hummus and cucumber on top, and am making a chicken passsata dinner with a couple of small boiled pots and lots of green veg. I'm trying to remember to drink lots of water too.

I am going to try ignore the scales for a while - might shove them in the loft or something - as, whilst I certainly want and need to lose 2+ stone I don't want anymore 'quick fixes', I want this to be a permanent way of eating.

Have a good day! X

coolkat Tue 12-Feb-13 20:51:09

Welcome rach and vij

Hi snow and cel. Not had a bad couple of days but weighed this Morning and 3lb heavier but my period is starting so hope that explains it as I have not been perfect but have exercised everyday and have certainly not binged of late which is what I wanted to stop.

Don't be hard on yourselves for having slipped we are here to recognise that what we have done goes against what we want to do and by supporting one another we will get there. I have not been as good since joining this thread for months and months and I feel like I have been trying to diet forever. I said before that is because I had set my self small targets but having thought about it I have a weekend away with the girls coming up and know I wanted to have lost 3lb by the time I go so think that has spurred me on.

What about us all setting a small target? I said on 1st feb i wanted to exercise 10 times before 15th feb. it could be something small like no cheese for a week - a small achievable target to make you feel good smile or drink more water for a week. Hope you don't think I am speaking out of line as I have honestly struggled so much but having you guys to report to has helped me achieve my exercise target. I am ignoring the scales until Friday wink

Mid week tomorrow so getting closer to the weekend - Hurrahhhh x

SnowyWellies Wed 13-Feb-13 07:52:23

Good morning all!

Thanks coolkat. I like the idea of setting small targets very much. I am supposed to weigh in tomorrow and already thought I would avoid it, but will be strong.

Okay, I would like to set a small food target and a small drink target, which will take me to next weigh in day- next Thursday. It will be;

Food - nothing fried- only baked, grilled or steamed.

Drink - no calorie drinks, so black coffee, black tea, etc. The only exceptions will be my requisite two glasses of wine on friday-Sat-Sunday. I realised yesterday I was drinking masses of white coffee and hot chocolate... not helpful.

Are two targets too much, do you think? I do not want to do an exercise target just yet as I know I have no hope at all of achieving it.

Tonight we have a friend coming for dinner who received a very big health scare. She is very overweight (but sporty and active) and her blood pressure is sky high. Her Dr told her she was running the risk of being dead within 5 years. She is only 45. So I am making salmon baked in foil with lemon and herbs, steamed rice and salad for dinner.

Hope you all have a good day. smile

coolkat Wed 13-Feb-13 20:28:14

They sound good targets snow. smile Perhaps replace the hot chocs and coffee with more water. I drink a lot of water in the evening that has been boiled - prefer to cold tap water.

I gave struggled today a little had a creme egg and few other bits. In my defence have bad period pain hmm

Meals have been fine though - this is why I am here to combat the snacking. X

SnowyWellies Thu 14-Feb-13 08:09:50

Morning! Well, i held my breath and weighed in and i am 10 stone 12, so 1 pound down since two weeks ago and 5 in total since this thread began. i am pleased!

So sorry about your period pain cool. I think chocolate under those circumstances is medicine rather than chocolate. smile

I agree about replacing the coffee with more water- yesterday i drank alot of coffee, and a whole bottle of diet coke and i started to get very unwell in the evening with headaches... so definitely mroe water today. I never drink diet coke, so i think too much caffeine.

Right today- baked, grilled or steamed and no cal drinks with lots of water. smile I'm on it!

coolkat Thu 14-Feb-13 22:09:13

Well done snow. The scales are going in the right direction. How has the drinking more water gone today?

Feel crap today food ok, few pick n mix as dh got me a jar for valentines (arghhh) time of the month and just feel crap - going out at the weekend and feel look like crap in everything.

Weight back at 142.2lb so failed on getting to 140lb before the weekend unless tomorrow they are any better. hmm

MissWooWoo Sun 17-Feb-13 09:05:58

Hi all

back after totally falling off the wagon for a week. Had a 3 day break away at the beginning of the week and ate and drank heartily as I knew I would but have really struggled getting back into the right frame of mind about making healthy choices. To be honest I've been feeling a bit low, mostly down to PMT and what's worse is that my period ended up being 4 days late which brought a lot of emotions to the surface that I stuffed back down with food. Then I went out for a very large very swanky high tea on friday and rounded that off with a couple of vodkas and a bottle of wine, consequently I was hungover yesterday and ate everything in site. Feel so disgusting, even my "fat clothes" are tight. What's more I feel so angry with myself which is making me want to eat all sorts of crap. I'm sure the weight I lost has gone all back on again and I'm dreading getting on the scales tomorrow morning. Still, I'm back here which means I'm ready to sort myself out (again), so yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, vegetable soup for lunch and salmon and green veg for dinner.

Good idea about the small targets ... I'm starting really small and just need to get back on the wagon so mine is going to be eat cleanly today and log on here tomorrow

Hello to all the new guys and hope everyone is being kind to themselves this weekend

coolkat Mon 18-Feb-13 07:36:48

Hi all

Back after a weekend with the girls. Damage on the scales not to bad 1lb to be exact so at least all of the dancing paid off grin

Oh miss it's a horrible cycle. Set a small target and come here for support and let's see what we can achieve in the next 7 days.

I have to think of a new target for the next week.

Back soon smile

MissWooWoo Mon 18-Feb-13 09:16:22

so I braved the scales and have put back on 3 of the 5lbs I had lost <sigh> and this is going to be such a difficult week as have loads of stuff planned including a boozy dinner out with an old friend that I rarely see. How do "normal" people do it? they seem to have social lives and yet remain the same weight whereas I'm up and down like a yoyo. Ok, new target for today is to only have 1 blueberry muffin with my coffee when friend comes round today not my usual 2 plus biscuits. Target for the week is to stop and think about the food choices I make and ask myself "is this going to help me in the long run?"

How's everyone else getting on?

coolkat Mon 18-Feb-13 20:40:18

Test

coolkat Mon 18-Feb-13 21:06:18

Have done 2 long posts and neither posted. Will try tomorrow!!

demi43 Mon 18-Feb-13 23:20:13

Can I join too? Am desperate to lose a few stone but it seems like a mammoth task Would love to know how do you not binge on leftover party food from DD birthday party at the weekend?

SnowyWellies Tue 19-Feb-13 07:28:06

Morning everyone. Sorry for vanishing again. I ame down with a really horrid cold.... managed to get into work yesterday thinking I was on the mend and nearly passed out when I got home. The advantage is that I have not been able to keep food down, so only tiny sips of herbal tea. hmm Am now in bed with a cup of tea listening to DCs cough.

Welcome demi. I also binge on letover food thinking 'well it will only go to waste'. But, I would suggest looking objectively at what is left. There is probably alot of stuff that you do not even like- mini sausage rolls for example. So give them in lunch today to everyone else. Or freeze them or throw it away. I read on another thread once 'my body is not a rubbish bin' and I try to think of that when I am tempted to eat either food I do not like, or leftovers. Does not always work, mind. grin

My goals for this week- well- the above really. On Saturday we went for dinner to the pub and I had a meal that was not tasty and I did not enjoy, but I sat there and ate the lot. And it was worthless. Lots of calories and not enjoyable at all. Then because I was annoyed with myself I had a third glass of wine and a packet of crisps. Goals... [thinking hard]

Food goal- only eat food that is worth it. It has to be tasty, it has to be filled with good nutrients.

Drink goal- calorie free drinks (water water water and herbal teas).

Exercise goal - when I am better as Ido not want to overdo it- but a dedicated 10 minute walk. Slowly build up.

I will probably make a vegetable soup today as well. I m not sure I will be able to stomach much else still.

Hope everyone is well.

coolkat Tue 19-Feb-13 18:23:08

Hi ladies will try again as did 2 posts and disappeared!

My goal is to exercise 4 times this week. Food wise not to binge.

Weight 142.4. I will get down to 140lbs. Can't believe how hard it is!

Welcome diva. Hope you are feeling better soon snow.

coolkat Tue 19-Feb-13 18:24:21

Sorry demi not diva! Posting from phone and have to remember!

Ps happy and healthy and banish the binge seems appropriate smile

twinklestar2 Tue 19-Feb-13 19:54:06

Can I please join? I'm doing low carb but not no carb as I'm ttc and don't want to cut out food groups but I'm 11stish and was 9st 7 when I got married 2 years ago. I stupidly thought I'd fall pregnant straightaway and therefore didn't need to diet! But I've steadily got fatter and still have no baby.

Today's menu

Skinny latte, yoghurt, apple

Soup
Crisps - a once a week treat
Apple

Dinner was veg chilli in a wrap

coolkat Tue 19-Feb-13 20:16:24

Hi twinkle - welcome.

I tried the carb boot camp but was hopeless. Am still aware of carby food though and my diet is relatively light of them.

Some of us have tried to set small achievable targets the aim of this is to feel positive when get there smile

twinklestar2 Tue 19-Feb-13 22:53:52

I just ate a digestive biscuit which has taken me slightly over my cals for the day on MFP. I've planned my meals for tomorrow too.

coolkat Wed 20-Feb-13 07:26:06

I am on MFP too twinkle although font use as strictly as before. When I am on the computer I will message you my user name smile

Loz1980 Wed 20-Feb-13 11:45:50

Hi everyone can I join?
Just jumped on the scales (been putting it off since Xmas) to find I'm the heaviest I've ever been (no surprise, I look and feel dreadful)
I'm 11st 12.
My problem primarily is chocolate, I binge on it every night with a pint

Loz1980 Wed 20-Feb-13 11:51:29

Didn't mean to post yet!
With a pint of milk.
I work evenings so don't eat proper meals and when I do it's on my night off so feel I need to treat myself so have curry or massive spag Bol at 9 at night when kids are in bed. Followed by massive bar/bag of chocs and said pint of milk.
I don't eat breakfast, have butties and crisps for lunch then often don't eat til after work at 10pm where I'll have toast or crumpets with loads of butter followed by the ubiquitous chocolate and milk.
Most Saturday lunchtimes we 'treat' the kids to a mcdonalds of course I have one too. On Sunday I'll eat a huge Sunday lunch (usually bigger than my 6ft plus hubby!)
Oh god I'm disgusted with myself writing this down.
I need to stop. Now.
I'm considering slim fast, anyone know if it's worth a try?

SnowyWellies Wed 20-Feb-13 13:04:40

Welcome Loz!

When you say slimfast, do you mean those meal replacement shakes? I have not tried those.

Don't be disgusted with yourself- we all have bad habits we have fallen into. But the good thing about a 'habit' is that you can break them!

Small things... okay, so you are identifying that the big issue you have is with chocolate and pints of milk. Can you maybe change the pint of milk for a huge cup of herbal tea and the chocolate for a huge bowl of fruit with a drizzle of chocolate sauce?

Maybe try that and make no other changes for a week and see how you go. (So much easier to help others rather than put it into practice myself!)

I have already had a hot chocolate today, so my aim to have calorie free drinks is kaput...

back to the drawing board.

twinklestar2 Wed 20-Feb-13 14:19:02

Welcome loz, u have identified your bad habits, now it's time to change them smile It's worse when you're in denial and think you're healthy. At least you can see what changes you need to make. I find it helpful to plan my menu for the next day the night before. I never used to eat breakfast so I started by having one slice of bread cut into 4 and then that's only 4 bites you need to get through.

You can also change what u eat for healthier versions, so swap white bread for brown, change the crisps for lower fat versions and swap chocolate for a curly wurly - take ages to eat and still give you the choc fix.

SnowyWellies Wed 20-Feb-13 14:59:58

I've heard freezing chocolate makes it last longer, but never tried it (chocolate is not my problem... maybe i should freeze my white wine!)

twinklestar2 Wed 20-Feb-13 16:14:37

Just had a thought about the pint of milk and chocolate - can you swap this for a massive hot choc made with low fat cocoa powder and stick in a few mini marshmallows? Lovely and indulgent but less cals. And you can also buy low fat squirty cream.

This thread is not accepting new messages.