Stop Bingeing and Start Eating Healthily Thread

(1000 Posts)
SnowyWellies Thu 24-Jan-13 06:21:40

Would anyone like to join me? I am a yo yo dieter, a failed WW (could not bear the small portions) failed SW (went wild on Free foods) and I eat too much of the wrong sorts of food. I binge then starve and I want to get out of that cycle. I also enjoy my evening 3 glass of wine a little too much! I feel bloated, pasty, tired and I hate how I look in the mirror. I am about to hit 40, and I refuse to spend any more time hating myself. I want to deal with my psychological food issues, and I want to finally be the woman I am meant to be.

I am 5 ft 2 and weigh 11 stone 3.

My aim- to increase fruit and veg. To cut out wheat as I bloat very badly on wheat. To take as much care over my own diet as I do over the diets of my children and my husband. To not treat my body like a rubbish bin.

As of this morning. I am tired. My skin is pale and blotchy. I am very bloated in the stomach. I am aiming to lose 24 pounds, but want to do it properly and without feeling deprived. I want to make this process luxurious, with a focus on gorgeous healthy food.

Today's plan:

Breakfast - fruit and natural yoghurt with a drizzle of honey.

Lunch - home made carrot and coriander soup.

Dinner - fresh veg risotto.

I need ideas for delicious alcohol-free drinks. Currently I love a splash of grapefruit juice and soda water.

Anyone want to join me? The focus is on good food, and to deal with the psychological issues around bingeing and self hatred. I am not a psychologist, just someone who needs- and can offer support!

Weigh in days will be Mondays and Thursdays.

IamMummyhearmeROAR Wed 24-Apr-13 19:41:10

Hi I'm still here, still trying! Did really well last week then ruined it last Friday as I had been drinking on Thursday night- also didn't get in till 2 in the morning - oops.

So back on it this week - I reckon I'll be 11stone 2 tomorrow but I feel ok about that. Feel more positive as its payday!

Emilythornesbff Wed 24-Apr-13 20:12:03

Well done slim fit
Good luck with your weigh in Iam.

twinklestar2 Wed 24-Apr-13 23:12:52

I've been good apart from today when I had a handful of chips with my dinner but I went for a 45 min run and ran 6k so I think I'm covered smile

SlimFitWellies Thu 25-Apr-13 06:58:52

Good morning! Good luck with the weigh in IAM. I am still too cowardly to weigh. I would rather be in blissful ignorance!

6 km twinkle, I think that is incredible!

You did sound tired, Em, how are you feeling this morning?

I did manage to stick to peppermint tea, and went to bed as soon as the DCs did, read for a bit then was out by 9. I feel alot better today. Massively busy day today, preparing for the weekend.

Today:

berry smoothie
lentil soup
I might have lettuce wraps again. They were really delicious.

have a good day everyone! Onwards and downwards.

twinklestar2 Thu 25-Apr-13 09:29:39

I like your veggie and no drinking days, they sound very virtuous.

Official weigh in tomorrow eeeek! Scales still showing 10st 11, I'd love them to say 10 10 tomorrow!

Menu

Wholemeal bagel
Pitta and houmous and soup
Have a work event so need to be strong enough to avoid the nibbles! Then going out for dinner afterwards
Fruit and yoghurt

SAHRum Thu 25-Apr-13 10:53:40

phew! you're all still here ... I've followed this thread from the beginning and managed to lose some weight but have been awol for 4 weeks blush, finally hopped onto the scales this morning following a few days of trying to reign it back in and am pleased to see that damage limitation is only a gain of 1.5 lbs. Not too bad all things considered.

Ready to get back on the wagon despite food in the house being sparse and no chance to get out to the shop, so today's menu is ...

breakfast - fruit and yoghurt
lunch - vegetable and ham soup, ryvitta & goats cheese
dinner - haddock, sweetcorn/pepper/tomato bean salad
snacks - apples, carrots, more soup!

Short term goal for this week is just to get back in to the swing of it, start logging again on MFP and do some menu planning.
I'm hoping to lose a stone by the end of June.

SlimFitWellies Thu 25-Apr-13 12:06:07

Welcome back SAHRum!

I enjoy the veggie and no drinking days, twinkle, and because it is every second day, it is 'doable'. But i need to be in the habit of it really. I confess that this week i had two days in a row here and there when I would drink wine. So, I have not bee rigid about it, but think when I settle into that it will work well. We have had more veggie days than non-veggie days though, because DH really wants to limit meat.

SlimFitWellies Thu 25-Apr-13 12:06:41

Mind you... caught myself in a shop window today.... rolls of fat under the bra strap were visible through my jersey. sad

SAHRum Thu 25-Apr-13 14:32:22

Why thank you SlimFit, loving your new name btw and also loving this alternate veggie days ... think I might try that myself.

On the subject of bras (I have fat both under and over the band lucky me) when oh when is someone going to invent a better alternative? I mean come on! all these new fabrics and technological advances and increased knowledge about how things work and us girls are stuck with a shitty bit of nylon elastic, hardly the most comfortable things in the world to wear if you've actually got some boob to put in them, and yes I do get my bras from Bravissimo at mega pound prices <insert clever joke about pound for pound if I could think of one>

Glad I got that off my ... drumroll please ... chest

Good to be back

Emilythornesbff Thu 25-Apr-13 20:40:21

Fellow revolutionaries!

twinkle that's an impressive run. Good luck with your weigh-in tomorrow.

Hi *slimfit. Looks like you're doing really well.

I ave been very tired and so not had a fasting day for a while but I've been good today. Yesterday I was victim to serious sugar cravings sadso I need those fasting days because just not bingeing isn't enough.

Hi SAHrum your menu today looks v. Irtuous.

I'm feeding dd whilst watching secret eaters. And I'm. It eating. So tt's good smile

BambieO Thu 25-Apr-13 22:18:16

Ah! I dropped off the thread sad glad to see you are all still here and some new faces!

Looks like you are all still doing brilliantly. I have been getting sucked into the world of MFP so keep forgetting to come on.

Weighed in with only 1.5lb loss this week, was hoping for 2.5 to take me into the next stone bracket but almost there! Maybe 1lb will magically go overnight haha

SlimFitWellies Fri 26-Apr-13 06:44:54

BambieO you are doing so well! I doubt i have had any loss for weeks!

Need advice and tactics, my Fellow Revolutionaries. My DMother is arriving this evening to stay for a bit. I mentioned a bit back that I was very anxious, as she is super obsessed with her weight, my weight etc. She has been doing this hypnoband thingy and regaled me about how she has lost 18 kgs and how i really need to read the book as 'you need to'. Last time she was here, she looked me up and down and said 'Gosh. How much do you weigh now then?'. I was 10 stone 7 then, so am most likely more now. (I told her it was really none of her business).

I know i am still a stone over my fighting weight, and youngest DC is 3. Any tactics? Especially when she boasts about how she is slimmer than me? (She saw fit to tell me 'I can't believe i am slimmer than you', in a crowing tone on my wedding day. Thanks for making me feel good, mum.)

Need tactics to either ignore, brush off, and most of all, to not let it get to me.

Today, am planning to wear;

New Dark denim jeans that really suit me.
Spanx (my tum is dreadful)
Navy blue shirt
navy blue waterfall cardigan
Paint nails in dark blue sparkly paint (bravado)
wear my 'new' antique sapphire and diamond ring that DH got me for Christmas (bravado) again
statement necklace.

Dinner tonight..... steak, baked pots with creme fraiche and chives, and my favourite salad of spinach, sliced pears, walnuts and homemade blue cheese dressing. If I appear to be dieting this will attract comment too, but I can limit the dressing I use.

I was thinking, that if she goes on and on and on and on about her weightloss i might say to her gently 'but mum, the most important thing about you is not your weight' as i feel sorry that she has been hamstrung by her obsession for so many years, but she can be a bit tricky, and that may make her go off in a huff.

Sorry for the essay. blush

Stillstarving Fri 26-Apr-13 08:06:07

How long is she staying slim? Your outfit sounds absolutely lovely - always good to get the armour on when you're going into battle! I would be tempted to tilt my head to one side and say something like "it's sad you've never been happy with yourself mother" when she makes a remark about you. This would probably cause a row or at least a huff by the sound of things and it may not be worth it to you. I guess you'd like her to give up the superior competition thing but she doesn't want to. Could she possibly be a bit jealous of you? The comment on the wedding day does kind of come across like that - jealous it was your day etc. if you don't want to confront her then you probably need to find a way to rise above it and feel sorry for her. It seems certain that she'll have something to say. She would have something to say no matter what weight you are because its not about your weight, it's about her making herself feel better. You're going to look lovely, you're dealing with all the rubbish she has fed you instead of giving you good ideas about food and weight and you're not going to have her lifelong need to get one up on your children. Feel sorry for her of you can. Is she critical in other ways? Do you have to clean the house for her coming?

Labootin Fri 26-Apr-13 08:21:23

sweeping back in to the thread (I bought a new maxi skirt this afternoon it's very sleepy swooshy)

I shared a small packet (not the mega huge sharing pack) of walkers Thai chilli sensations (they are my own personal form of crack cocaine ) with my dd last night then I didn't eat the second packet sitting in the cupboard.
#smallvictory

Good luck with your mum slimfit.. Personally I'd tell her to fuck off (i have ishooos with my parents )but that's possibly not the best advice

Labootin Fri 26-Apr-13 08:22:05

Sleepy swooshy ? SWEEPY

SlimFitWellies Fri 26-Apr-13 08:33:16

Am frantically cleaning now, Still! Actually, she is really not critical in any other way at all. She in other ways is great, very tolerant, accepting of things. Just her own feelings about her own weight have made her miserable and she projects that onto me. I think feeling sorry for her is the way to go though. Maybe, if i even am in the mood addressing it full on, and addressing how her obsession has affected her, and by extension me. She never dressed well because she thought she did 'not deserve it' if she was fat. She has never done things like have hobbies etc because she was waiting until she was slim. it IS sad. I am like that a bit too, so need to address it myself.

That is all why I want to address this now, I cannot go through my life feeling the way i have about my weight, and I have seen her misery, and do not want to feel like that myself any longer.

Mind you, if she really gets on my tits there may well be a fuck off! Labootin grin

Staying for 2 weeks.

Emilythornesbff Fri 26-Apr-13 16:29:12

slimfit your outfit sounds fab. Truly.

I think you may have found the root of your food issues grin.
Poor mum, she just wants the best for you I expect.

Enjoy your meal.

I'm on a fasting day. So far, herbal tea and 2 apples.
Just had a fantastic craving for a slice of Victoria sponge with cream grin
lentil soup for supper. I've made meatballs for dh and ds sad
Feeling virtuous and hungry grin
Onwards and downwards.

Emilythornesbff Fri 26-Apr-13 19:05:45

Made it!
Bloody hell that was tough.

I know I won't eat now though and I don't actually feel hungry.
It's hard to avoid the naughtier foods on a fasting day when the hunger (mixed with sleep deprivation) kicks in.
slimfit I like the sound of those lettuce wraps for a fasting day.
It sounds like you're oing a kind of AF WOE.
Onwards and downwards fellow revolutionaries.

twinklestar2 Fri 26-Apr-13 21:05:55

Slim - I had similar with my sister but one day I turned round to her and said 'I'm not bothered about my weight' and she never mentioned it again!

Emilythornesbff Sat 27-Apr-13 07:38:22

Interesting morning
(apart from being up at 6 after a broken night grin )
Having fasted yesterday I expected to wake up and eat 47 donuts. But my hunger felt normal and calm IYSWIM.
So I've just had a small bowl of porridge (no sugar, made with water) and half a slice of whole meal homemade bread (could not resist, it was baked overnight in the breadmaker and you can imagine the aroma mmmmm...) with marmite (no butter) add a cup of tea with ss and a sweetener (ok, not ideal) and I'm on the comfortable side of stuffed!

So I need to plan family meals for the next few days. I've noticed when I don't plan I tend to derail.

slimfit enjoy your time with mum. I hope you both enjoy your food and company smile

Onwards and downwards FRs.

Hazelbrowneyes Sat 27-Apr-13 09:23:03

<slinks back in>
Hi all, I need a kick up the bum and a slap around the face. My hard work last week has completely gone out the window.

I haven’t calorie counted since Tuesday because my food diary looks a little like this:

Weds:
Boiled egg and toast
Chicken salad – would have been great had the chicken not been mixed with bacon and a shitload of mayo.
Mugshot
2 fishcakes and chips from the chippy.

Thurs:
Boiled egg and toast
Roast chicken wrap (no mayo but butter. I was a bit shocked to find butter on a wrap, to tell the truth)
Mini cheddars
Maltesers
Lovely salad with fat free dressing…just topped with beetroot and mozzarella.
½ a bowl of chips
4 glasses of prosecco

Fri:
Boiled egg and toast
Pasta with meatballs
Wispa
Tuna fishcakes with pea puree
Lemon chicken with pilaf and tomato & onion salad
Crème Brulee
The most amazing cheeseboard in the world ever.
About a bottle of prosecco

Today breakfast has been mini cheddars and diet coke. I’m out for dinner AGAIN tonight. GAH.

Stepped on the scales this morning and so far I’ve managed to maintain this week. God knows how. It’s been an extraordinary week workwise and my diet always goes to pot when I’m working 12 hour days. Still, onwards and upwards. I’m going food shopping tomorrow and I’m determined to sort myself out. Of course, it’s typical that DH is away next week and I usually use this time to stuff my face full of naughty shit.

I weighed 5lbs less on 27th April 2012 than I do today. I’m not sure how I feel about that but I do know my weight issues are beginning to take over my life. I’m caught in a vicious cycle of feeling shit about myself so eating more and then I feel even more shit about myself, etc.

Emilythornesbff Sat 27-Apr-13 09:40:04

Hi hazel I think you've done ok tbh.
Your intake isn't scary and it looks like really enjoyable food. (bloody love fish cakes). So even when you relax and slip off the wagon you're not gaining weight. When you jump back on you're continuing to lose weight rather than starting again from a gain. IYSWIM.

I expect to "fail" and plateau every so often.

Need new scales 9 st 6 this morning, which can't be right as that would be a loss of 11Lb in about 3 weeks and the giant buttons I had the other day would have something to say about that.

SAHRum Sat 27-Apr-13 10:21:06

aaarrgghhh

up every 2 hours last night ... eating blush
ryvita and butter
chunk of cheese (I did weigh it though)
chocolate biscuit

aaargghhh 300 calories over

aaargghh

am taking myself off for a manicure and then a fresh juice

and relax

Emilythornesbff Sat 27-Apr-13 20:47:18

Enjoy your manicure and juice stayathomerum

Today I ate a magnum (full size shock ) after my supper blush
Otherwise well behaved food wise.

The revolution continues even at weekends.

BambieO Sun 28-Apr-13 19:42:02

Love a magnum, mini twisters are my new saviour only 45 cals! Who knew!

This thread is not accepting new messages.