Threads in this topic will auto-delete after 90 days.

Stop Bingeing and Start Eating Healthily Thread

(1000 Posts)
SnowyWellies Thu 24-Jan-13 06:21:40

Would anyone like to join me? I am a yo yo dieter, a failed WW (could not bear the small portions) failed SW (went wild on Free foods) and I eat too much of the wrong sorts of food. I binge then starve and I want to get out of that cycle. I also enjoy my evening 3 glass of wine a little too much! I feel bloated, pasty, tired and I hate how I look in the mirror. I am about to hit 40, and I refuse to spend any more time hating myself. I want to deal with my psychological food issues, and I want to finally be the woman I am meant to be.

I am 5 ft 2 and weigh 11 stone 3.

My aim- to increase fruit and veg. To cut out wheat as I bloat very badly on wheat. To take as much care over my own diet as I do over the diets of my children and my husband. To not treat my body like a rubbish bin.

As of this morning. I am tired. My skin is pale and blotchy. I am very bloated in the stomach. I am aiming to lose 24 pounds, but want to do it properly and without feeling deprived. I want to make this process luxurious, with a focus on gorgeous healthy food.

Today's plan:

Breakfast - fruit and natural yoghurt with a drizzle of honey.

Lunch - home made carrot and coriander soup.

Dinner - fresh veg risotto.

I need ideas for delicious alcohol-free drinks. Currently I love a splash of grapefruit juice and soda water.

Anyone want to join me? The focus is on good food, and to deal with the psychological issues around bingeing and self hatred. I am not a psychologist, just someone who needs- and can offer support!

Weigh in days will be Mondays and Thursdays.

SnowyWellies Thu 24-Jan-13 07:55:33

Oh, I have added a boiled egg, wheat free crispbread and cottage cheese and a green salad to the above. Otherwise I am in starvation mode and then will binge again!

Fairyloo Thu 24-Jan-13 08:03:33

Oh god me me. You just described me. Yo yo dieter. Down to 9 stone couldn't maintain, back up to 12. Now 12 3 and I don't even care about weight loss I want peace with food.

I done low carb that was amazing but my mood was awful. Felt down all the time.

I'm aiming for 3 moderate meals a day and no binging.

Good luck!!

Fairyloo Thu 24-Jan-13 08:04:44

Lovely healthy meals yep I'm in.

SnowyWellies Thu 24-Jan-13 08:09:29

Yay!! Welcome Fairyloo!

I am 3 meals a day, one snack and no bingeing. And I am off alcohol for a while, because then I lose my willpower and could do with giving my liver a rest anyway. (and saving some money!).

Glad to have your company!

Fairyloo Thu 24-Jan-13 09:46:17

What have you had this am? I've had a cheese toastie and tea. I am a total carb addict

SnowyWellies Thu 24-Jan-13 10:23:40

I do love cheese toasties.

I have had grapes and natural yoghurt and a boiled egg. Currently making carrot soup and will have that with wheat free crispbreads and cottage cheese.

I went low carb too once, and lost 5 pounds in about a week, but I was really down also. Currently I want to avoid wheat and potatoes though.

Fairyloo Thu 24-Jan-13 17:35:14

How have you done today? I had salmon pasta salad for lunch and veggie lasagne and salad.

No counting calories, no binging.

Slow but enjoyable!!

SnowyWellies Thu 24-Jan-13 19:49:21

i have been slightly naughty. When making risotto, DH opened a bottle of white and i thought 'why not'. But have had only 2 glasses and am now on herbal tea.

I am trying to not feel guilty and to say mentally 'well done' for moving on--- usually we would finish the bottle and then get stuck into the leftover Xmas chocolates!

Veg lasagne sounds very good. We also eat way too much meat and i am trying tp increase vegetables, and to make them the main event and not just a side dish.

Fairyloo Fri 25-Jan-13 08:08:55

Morning snowywellies,

Just me and you eh? What's your plan for today? Mine is 3 meals I had one of a friends Pringles last night and couldn't stop! Had about 30 so right about one you pop eh!!!

So today 3 good healthy meals and on the path hopefully to a healthy loving relationship with food.

SnowyWellies Fri 25-Jan-13 12:54:07

Good morning!

My plan is also three healthy meals, no snacks. So far I have had smoked salmon with a green salad (for breakfast! ) I am about to go out for lunch with a work colleague and plan for soup.

I am also going to try and go by the healthy eating guidelines as much as possible, so that would be (roughly);

dairy - 3 serves
fruit - 3 serves
veg - 5 serves
grains - 5 serves
protein - 2 serves.

and 8 glasses of water!

Good luck!

Mum2DS1andDS2 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:43:43

I'm in! I'm 5foot 8", weight a revolting 16 and half stone. I have to odo something about my shovelling crap down my throat overeating. I eat way too much of the wrong types of food. I eat hardly any fruit, not enough veg. I am starting todaywith 3 healthy meals a day. No snacks other than an apple. 8 glasses of water. I have to change for my 2 ds's sake.

SnowyWellies Fri 25-Jan-13 15:57:25

Welcome!!!

coolkat Fri 25-Jan-13 20:08:34

Could I join - been dieting so long with a history of food and weight - been dieting and bingeing for so long I no longer know what's normal.

So here I am fluctuate between 10.2 and 10.4 would like to get down to 9.10 so not much but have battled for the last year.

Your approach sounds healthy with the support I could use. I know I have been quite sedentary lately due to being so tired as I have low iron levels due to excess bleeding possibly from fibroids. Going to try and be more active even if its a daily walk smile

SnowyWellies Sat 26-Jan-13 09:07:29

Welcome everyone!

Today's plan for me;

Breakfast - chopped pear and banana in greek yoghurt

Lunch- carrot and coriander soup, 2 crispbreads and 1 boiled egg

Dinner - salmon baked in foil with stir fried vegetables (using Fry Light) and boiled rice with soy sauce and ginger.

It is the weekend, so I will allow myself 2 small glasses of wine.

So that would be;

protein- 3 serves
fruit - 2 serves
Vegetables - estimating 5 serves
Dairy - 2 serves
grains - 3-4 serves.

Plus 8 pints of water.

I will try and get out for a half hour walk later today too if I can manage it...

Last night I got home after 10 from work and ate 1/2 a rotisserie chicken. THAT is the kind of eating behaviour I want to stop.

coolkat Sat 26-Jan-13 09:28:50

I need to stop eating so many sweets - today breakfast nothing but this is not unusual.

Lunch bacon and poached eggs

I am going to friends for dinner tonight so will have a late afternoon snack of a banana and try to be good there.

Exercise will be walking 1.5 miles to friends and back smile

Otherwise busy day shopping, cleaning and visiting parents.

SnowyWellies Sat 26-Jan-13 10:18:32

I really understand you coolkat about not knowing what is eating normally anymore.

I hate food diaries, but think for a while I really need to plan my meals so that I get to understand again what a healthy diet looks like!

have a great dinner with friends.

coolkat Sun 27-Jan-13 09:28:00

So dinner was friends was good until the cheesecake - I drove though so surely counterbalanced what would have been Wine.

Today visiting family for lunch so damage limitation and casserole with veg for tea. Then may buy a new iBook to keep me busy this evening as that's when I tend to fail!

Have a good day smile

Fairyloo Mon 28-Jan-13 07:33:14

I'm struggling. Never made it over the weekend.

My downfall/triggers are chocolate and other rubbish.

Now back to Monday, I'm heavier and full of guilthmm

coolkat Mon 28-Jan-13 08:19:54

Oh fairyloo - today is a new day. To be honest I find the weekends much harder food wise but I am more active whereas in the week I find food easier but an less active as when I get home from work I am knackered.

Baby steps - what would you like to achieve today?

I am off today but dd2 has various play dates - biscuit avoidance needed grin

Weighed today no heavier but not really lighter either 142.8lbs.

SnowyWellies Mon 28-Jan-13 09:27:14

Good morning!

Sorry you feel low Fairyloo

Weigh in today. 11 stone 1. Down 2 pounds which I ought to be pleased about but feel low as well. I also have to do baby steps though as my ‘just one’ glass of wine turned into sharing the entire bottle with DH and then having a port.

So, for today, I am travelling most of the day around different offices for work. So plan to just make the best choices I can make based on what is available. I bought a banana and an apple for the car. Dh is making a cannellini bean and chorizo soup for dinner though which will be yum.

Celestialstarlight Mon 28-Jan-13 12:37:52

Hi there. Just wondering if I can join you please. Snowy when I read your post I thought I was reading about me! Im 41 5 ft 2 and too scared to weigh myself but I think I must be around the 11 stone mark if not more. Certain foods have a tendancy to bloat me and I drink far too much wine. My skin is grey and blotchy and lack energy daily. Im a size 14-16 with mahoosive boobs and an ever expanding belly. Im sick of feeling and looking like a fat and frumpy 40 something. All of it gets me down. Instead I want to look healthy and feel great. I have tried various diets in the past but never been able to stick to them so my plan is to try and adopt a healthier approach to my lifestyle.
I started doing 45min-1hr daily walks 2 weeks ago (well most days) and cut down on my wine and crisps intake drastically but im now feeling fatter than I did when I started 2 weeks ago and my clothes look worse on me! I’ve decided though not to give in and buy bigger clothes but instead fit into all the clothes I have which no longer fit into.
So please please can I join you for some motivational support and perhaps some healthy eating ideas too wink

SnowyWellies Tue 29-Jan-13 08:11:38

Good morning! Welcome Celestial.

I am afraid I did not really eat healthily yesterday- I was on the run all day, then when i got home at 10 made myself a club sandwich- but with lots of lettuce and tomato and lean ham and lean chicken, so possibly not TOO bad! Also, I had zero calorie drinks all day so feel that is something at least!

Today's plan -

fruit and yoghurt
cannellini bean and chorizo soup with lots of vegetables (made by DH)
white fish baked in foil with olives and capers and salad.

I also need to factor in snacks I have decided, for when I am bored, or feeling glum so will make homemade hummus today and eat those with carrots.

I love healthy food like this- I just eat too much of it, then binge and then get depressed then drink wine. bad cycle.

Yesterday though I read a book about conquering food addictions. One thing it said is that people have addicitions when they are missing something fundamental intheir life - either security, or love, or friendship, or hobbies that fulfil them. I was trying to think what is missing in mine. I have a stressful job- but am working out my notice. I am in a happy marriage, but we have had a rocky time the past year (although good now) but generally I have binged all my life. I can only think that some of it stems from my mother's relationship with food. She is morbidly obese and is obssessed with weight and what other people weigh. Since I was young she used to either give or withold approval based on my weight. That is something I need to work through, as I really feel it has crippled my relationship with food, and certainly has impacted my self esteem.

Issues I want to deal with, as I simply do NOT want to live the rest of my life like this.

SnowyWellies Wed 30-Jan-13 12:50:19

Good morning all!

I did a sneaky weigh in and am 10 stone 13, but tomorrow is my 'official' mid-week weigh in.

Yesterday I stuck to the plan above, except for when DH brought the jaffa cakes out and i had a few with a hot chocolate. never mind- at least I offset it (maybe) by having no wine!

I have decided to deal with one vice at a time. That is the wine. I have a few glasses and then eat the contents of the fridge. So, I am not going to think too hard about food- except for eating well- but will be wine-free during the week, then only 2 glasses Friday and saturday. Then when I am confortable with that I will thn review and change something else. Little by little really. This is a change for life, and I am falling into my usual trap of 'all or nothing' thinking.

So today so far I have had;

A toasted sandwich with lots of lettuce, tomato, lean chicken breast and lean bacon. (mmmm... yum)

Lunch- crispbread with sliced avocado, tomato and cucumber

Dinner will be leftover bean and chorizo soup that DH made. It is SO filling.

Drinks- herbal teas, slimline tonic and a hot chocolate last thing.

Yum.

How is everyone doing?

coolkat Wed 30-Jan-13 21:14:25

Hi snow

Great idea doing one thing at a time - mine is sweets not helped by dh surprising me with pick n mix - haven't eaten all though so that's good. Drinking plenty of water as well.

Tomorrow spag Bol is prepared on the slow cooker and then lunch is usual 3 rice cakes, Philly and a cup a soup and either banana or Special K bar.

The week has gone so slow - roll on the weekend!

Ok day food wise but I know I need to be more active so need to get motivated - my problem is I am just so tired.

This thread is not accepting new messages.