So, are people actually losing weight on 5:2?

(22 Posts)
SueFawley Wed 23-Jan-13 10:42:31

There are so many different threads on here now about 5:2 .I'm going to read the discussion with Michael Mosley later too, but I'm curious about actual weight loss and how long it takes before you see results.

Lakota Wed 23-Jan-13 11:08:41

I've been doing it since around the end of August, combined with 3 workouts a week at the gym since the beginning of December. When I started I was 10 st 5, as of Friday last week (and this morning, I checked!) I am 9 stone. I was losing weight before I joined the gym, but it made me more interested in upping my fitness and also trying to ensure I got toned rather than 'skinny fat'.

So yes, it definitely works! I am aiming to lose another couple of 1lbs and I think I will be at my pre-babies weight from around 9 years ago. I bought size 12 skinny jeans just a few months ago and I needed a belt with them this morning. I found tracking food calories on My Fitness Pal also really helped.

Lakota Wed 23-Jan-13 11:09:40

I am 5'6", and 36 by the way.

SueFawley Wed 23-Jan-13 12:51:28

That's a very good weight loss,considering you didn't have a lot to lose, well done.
I've tried everything else and this is just about my last hope, so I'm reading the threads here with interest but there's a lot to catch up on.

Snowkey Wed 23-Jan-13 13:37:08

I didn't lose on fasting 2 days and eating whatever I wanted for 5 days but I did maintain for quite a few months, then Christmas happened, with no fasts and no exercise and i gained. I have gone hardcore to get rid of extra pounds by end of Jan and then I'll slide back into fasting 2 days and eating and drinking merrily for 5 days.

Lakota Wed 23-Jan-13 14:10:25

You still need to eat no more than your TDEE the other days - 'eat normally' obviously means different things to different people. If someone fasts for 2 days but eats 4,000 calories a day of fried chicken and biscuits the rest of the time, sadly it won't have the same effect! But with appropriate calorie intake for your age/height/weight the rest of the time you shouldn't have to cut anything out or deprive yourself of particular foods, so in that way it's not a 'diet'. I still have chocolate/wine/curry etc.

I have noticed that my eating habits - while never terrible - have improved since doing this. I could never consciously low carb as I love rice and pasta and bread, but I have replaced a large proportion of my daily lunch sandwiches with salad (big bowl of leaves, cucumber, dressing, chicken/prawns) instead, and am enjoying that. I probably only have a sandwich based lunch once or twice a week now instead of every day.

CaseyShraeger Wed 23-Jan-13 14:17:31

DH has lost quite a bit, although he's doing 4:3 rather than 5:2. I'm keen to try it, but trying to work out how to fit it around DCs (DD2 mostly won't eat if I'm not eating).

MilkshakeMaker Wed 23-Jan-13 18:24:29

I've just done my first day and your right OP there is soooooo much to read!!

Aftereightsarenolongermine Wed 23-Jan-13 18:29:23

Yes I've lost 3 stone since August doing 4:3 mostly but have started 5:2 for medication reasons. If I can do 4:3 I will.

MilkshakeMaker Wed 23-Jan-13 18:41:10

My god thats fantastic!!!! Well done!!

FlouncingMintyy Wed 23-Jan-13 18:44:12

My dh and I have been doing 5:2 since 1st September (so that is around 40 fasts). He is about 4 stone overweight, I am about 2.5 stone overweight.

He has lost about a stone.

I have lost about 5lb.

I am having my thyroid investigated!

LouiseFisher Thu 24-Jan-13 14:57:06

That is absolutely fantastic.. Well done! Such a achievement! Hope this motivates you to continue losing more

phlebas Thu 24-Jan-13 15:03:24

yes 21kg since last summer (46 pounds).

My mum - who is 60, had very little to lose (7lbs) & has been completely unable to lose more than a couple of pounds for the last 10 years - has also managed to lose & keep the weight off smile My SIL is doing it now too.

TalkinPeace2 Thu 24-Jan-13 17:03:24

Started in September - at start of term, weighed 10 stone (age 47 and 5'5")
By the last Friday of term I weighed 8:12
Over Christmas put on 7 pounds.
Have already lost 6 of them again.
Currently (roughly) aiming for 8:11 = BMI of 20

Mintyy So, so pleased that you are hanging on in there and searching for answers rather than giving up.

frenchfancy Fri 25-Jan-13 08:38:29

I've lost 19 lb since September. I put on a few over Christmas but they have all gone now.

I eat well on non fast days, which is why normal diets don't work for me. I can stop for a day or 2 but after a week I go mad and start eating.

5:2 isn't just about weight loss though, I will carry on doing it even if I don't lose anymore as it makes me feel so good.

FlouncingMintyy Fri 25-Jan-13 09:13:25

Just weighed this morning and am exactly where I was just before Christmas. I had two weeks "off" over Christmas and definitely over-indulged so I know I gained some and have now lost it again in the 7 fasting days I have done since 2nd January.

Net loss since 1st September = about 5lb. And only another 30 to go! hmm.

SparklyStone Sat 26-Jan-13 19:27:03

What does everyone eat on their 500 calorie days?

catsrus Sat 26-Jan-13 19:43:57

Lost 25lb since watching the horizon prog in August - now 9st 7lb, size 12 rather than 16 grin now experimenting with maintenance. I'm nearer 60 than 50 - post menopausal and have been stuck and unable to lose for a few years - this WOE is wonderful grin

frenchfancy Sun 27-Jan-13 08:08:27
SueFawley Tue 29-Jan-13 11:28:37

I've followed the thread with interest, thanks everyone. I've been working my way through all the other threads about it here but it's a mammoth task!

I haven't found the courage - yet - to try 5:2 but it does sound worth a try.

DrGarnettsWinterMixture Tue 29-Jan-13 11:31:37

24lb off since September, lost the plot a bit around Christmas, now have another 21lb to go to my target weight smile It really works!

BsshBossh Tue 29-Jan-13 13:55:15

Lakota on your non-fast days do you tend to eat close to your TDEE or are you alot under?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now