Week 3 - New Year Low Carb Bootcamp - Full Fat or Light?

(984 Posts)
BIWI Sun 20-Jan-13 17:08:47

So we've completed the hardest part of Bootcamp. Now is the time, if you wish, to relax things a little, and to move on to Bootcamp Light.

On the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness you will - after weighing in, of course - find the rules for Bootcamp Light. However, as I know some people can't access the spreadsheet easily, here they are:

Bootcamp Light

1. Eat when you’re hungry - if you’re not hungry, don’t eat
In Bootcamp, you should have been eating three meals a day. The point of this being to ensure that you got used to eating proper meals, and so that your blood sugar is regulated and stable. Having achieved that, you can now relax this a little bit. If you find you’re not hungry - which often happens, because ketosis suppresses your appetite - then don’t force yourself to eat. But don’t let yourself get so hungry that you make inappropriate choices! Always make sure you have plenty of low carb food to access quickly, if you need to.

2. Avoid processed food
Focus on pure, natural protein as the basis for your meals – meat/fish/eggs.
You may include processed meats like bacon or (low carb) sausages, smoked salmon, smoked mackerel, gammon - but please don’t have these at every meal or every day. As well as being highly processed they often contain undesirable ingredients, can add unnecessary extra carbs into your diet, and often include sugar.

3. Eat lots of fat
Eating fat helps to keep you feeling fuller for longer. Fry in butter, add butter to vegetables, eat salad with a home-made vinaigrette dressing (not made with balsamic vinegar though, as this is too sweet and has too many carbs), add mayonnaise where you can (just check the carb count on your mayo first). Eat fattier cuts of meat – e.g. pork belly, roast chicken with the skin on and/or eat the fat off your lamb chops. Absolutely no low fat/light foods of any kind!

4. Make sure you are eating vegetables and salads with your food
This is where the bulk of your carbs should come from, and this is non-negotiable. But choose only those vegetables that are on the allowed list. You don’t have to weigh/count carbs – this is one of the great joys of this WOE (way of eating), but if you’re new to low carbing it can be helpful to weigh your portions of veg in the early days, just so that you know how many carbs are in the sort of portions that you like to eat.

Beware that some of the veg on the allowed list can be surprisingly high in carbs once you make up a portion of it – this is because they are denser, and therefore you tend to use more – compare, for example, 100g of onion with 100g lettuce! Keep your focus on those veg which contain 3g carbs per 100g and use these as the focus of your meals. Use those over 3g per 100g sparingly.

5. You may eat some dairy
You should aim to include plenty of butter on this WOE. Fry with it and add it to your vegetables. And if you know that dairy doesn’t impede your weight loss you may eat cheese, but don't overdo it. Full fat yoghurt is the best way to include dairy in your diet - but beware, it does contain carbs. Total Full Fat is the best.

If you’ve been cutting out tea/coffee, you can re-introduce this – but just be careful how much milk you end up drinking. You can end up adding a lot of extra carbs this way.

6. You must drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day
Even if you’re drinking more tea/coffee than in Bootcamp, this is still a non-negotiable part of this WOE. And the more weight you have to lose, the more water you should drink. Water helps to flush out the ketones that your body will product – so flushing out the fat. However, drinking this amount of water can affect your electrolyte balance; you need to make sure that you get plenty of sodium, magnesium and potassium. There is less need to worry about restricting salt if you’re eating a low carb diet. Good sources of potassium are salmon and avocado and spinach is a good source of magnesium. You could also consider supplements if you have an issue with this.

7. You may drink some alcohol
But restrict this to once or twice a week max. Vodka with soda is the best thing to drink. Or Champagne, red wine or dry white wine. Absolutely no beer/lager, cider, liqueurs, cocktails or full sugar mixers. You can drink spirits with artificial sweeteners, but bear in mind that we are attempting to avoid all things artificial!

Alcohol is the easiest source of fuel for your body, and it will use this over and above anything else that is available to it. Therefore, even if you’re following the diet absolutely to the letter, including alcohol can prevent weight loss.

8. You may eat some fruit
Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and rhubarb are all fine. But please – only once a day at the very most, and keep an eye on your portion sizes. Just for information – these are the carb counts:

Rhubarb – 0.8g carbs per 100g (but don’t forget you will need to sweeten this – and not with sugar!)
Blackberries – 4.4g carbs per 100g
Raspberries – 4.6g carbs per 100g
Strawberries – 6g carbs per 100g
Blueberries - 6.4g carbs per 100g (although this is a bit controversial - I have had differing carb counts from various sources - some saying as much as 12g carbs per 100g)

9. You may eat some nuts/seeds
Nuts/seeds can make a good snack. BUT it is incredibly easy to overdo it, and you can end up eating your bodyweight in carbs. As an occasional snack they are great, but keep it occasional and keep the portions to a small handful at most.

Macadamias are not only luscious, but they are very low in carbs.

Here are some carb counts – BUT – check the back of your packets as I don’t know if these are for raw or roasted nuts:

Pistachios 4.6g carbs per 100g
Macadamias 4.8g carbs per 100g
Pecans 5.8g carbs per 100g
Almonds 6.9g carbs per 100g
Peanuts 7.1 g carbs per 100g
Cashews 18.1g carbs per 100g

10. Avoid artificial sweeteners
The aim of Bootcamp was to help reduce the stranglehold that sugar has on us – and to curb your sweet tooth. But it does make some things difficult, e.g. desserts at a dinner party, and it is undeniable that it can be enjoyable – occasionally – to eat something sweet. However, restrict such goodies. For some people, artificial sweeteners can impede weight loss.

ScillyCow Mon 21-Jan-13 06:33:43

Added myself to spreadsheet.
2 lbs off - I am sticking with bootcamp for another couple of weeks!

grin

BlackAffronted Mon 21-Jan-13 06:54:42

KerryKetosis, just saw you asked on the last thread where I got the pork skin from, it was in the chilled meat area, where you would buy your normal belly pork etc, was just on the shelf next to it.

Have lost 1lb of my 4lb gain. I suppose its down. Hvae been strict bootcamp since Friday. So official weight loss after 2 and a bit weeks is 9lbs total, which I know is good but after seeing a 12lb loss initially is a bit disappointing.

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Mon 21-Jan-13 06:55:46

2.5lbs off for me this week - making 3.5lbs in total smile. Sticking with hard core bootcamp for now.

Not entirely convinced this WOE is for me long term but am going to stick the 10 weeks out. The weight is going in the right direction so thats the main thing.

Sun
B - mushroom omelette
L - lettuce wraps with egg mayo and prawn mayo
D - chicken and a creamy, onion sauce, cauliflower, brocoli, green beans
Loads of water!

Am starting to get a bit fed up of egg and fried mushrooms/salmon/bacon for breakfast. Not a big yoghurt eater - any ideas what else could I have?

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Mon 21-Jan-13 06:58:38

Oooops. Meant to say well on all the good weight losses. Well done grin

TheEarlyBird Mon 21-Jan-13 07:06:56

Hi, have just updated the spreadsheet, I hope. Down 7.1 lbs over two weeks so very pleased but have had to make a correction on the spreadsheet as I went wrong at some stage - doh! Am going to stay on Bootcamp for another week or five as I really want to shift some lbs.

Morning all and well done on the losses! thanks

Don't get too despondent if you didn't, it's never so much the next two weeks as the first (a lot to that first week is water retention), also check with BIWI as you may need tweaks eg less dairy, more veg, more water.

Two and a half pounds down this week, six and a half in total, which I am very happy with. But more than that am happy as have lost the carb bloat and have cheekbones back, and nearly also a waist again, yayy!

SavoirFaire Mon 21-Jan-13 07:18:30

Morning. Congrats on losses everyone. I'm down 1.5 pounds since last Monday. Given I have had a few discretions over the last few days I can live with that! Strict bootcamp for me and DH at least during the week.

Ilovemyteddy Mon 21-Jan-13 07:18:40

Great losses people! Have only lost 0.2lbs this week but I'm not surprised as I'm so close to my goal weight.

Bloody snow everywhere here, which doesn't make it any easier. Take care outside everyone.

BlackAffronted Mon 21-Jan-13 07:19:03

Well done to all you losers!

Yesterdays menu -

B - scrambled eggs in coconut oil

L - Creamy veg soup

D - Loaded chicken breasts (recipe in the recipe thread) based on Biwis chicken pizza thing with loads of salad & homemade coleslaw

S - ham slices, small bit of cheese, homemade pork crackling

GinotPrigio Mon 21-Jan-13 08:00:36

Morning! Only 1lb down for me this week. A bit disappointing as I was hoping for 2lbs but at least its going in the right direction!

Iamaslummymummy Mon 21-Jan-13 08:03:05

2.5lbs down for me last seek which was my week 3 so pleased with that. Well done everybody.

Can't wait till I can get to Morrisons to buy pig skin. Never though I'd ever say that grin

BandersnatchCummerbund Mon 21-Jan-13 08:05:15

Morning all.

I haven't lost any weight this week - or managed to keep up with the threads - as have a had hellish week and fell off the wagon into a huge biscuit tin. But I haven't gained any weight either - still minus the 4lb I lost during Week 1 of Bootcamp.

BIWI, just how important is it to repeat Bootcamp if I only managed 1 week? confused I think I can manage Bootcamp Light a lot more easily as this week is still going to be very busy, but if it's crucial to re-do Bootcamp I'll give it a go. Apologies to everyone for failing last week and mucking up perfect group results. sad

Ruprekt Mon 21-Jan-13 08:08:08

I weigh 182lbs today so that is a weightloss of 11lb for Bootcamp!!!!!!

grin

MsRinky Mon 21-Jan-13 08:08:18

Well done losers. Unsurprisingly given my birthday this week, no actual loss for me to report, but no gain either. This will probably be pattern for next couple of weeks, as on Saturday am hosting joint birthday party where booze will flow like water, and then following weekend am off to Edinburgh for Mr Rinky's 40th.

Snow day for me today, so leisurely breakfast of mushroom omelette, chicken salad for lunch, thai fishcakes and stir-fry for dinner.

Jacaqueen Mon 21-Jan-13 08:10:22

Morning everyone and well done to all the losers.

3 off for me which makes 7 in total.

thekitchenfairy Mon 21-Jan-13 08:14:12

What a beautiful morning... A crisp frost... And 2more pounds lost!

Will just enter it on the FOS, have busy day at hospital with DS1 so will check in and catch up later.

Good luck ladies, can't wait to hear about all your fabulous losses grin

hurrah for losses, and well done to everyone who has done two weeks of bootcamp

i am continuing with bootcamp as was rather derailed by funeral, hospital visits and work travel over the last two weeks. all back to normal now so need to get on an even keel

slatternlymother Mon 21-Jan-13 08:19:52

Morning, another 2lbs lost here too (although it was definately 4lbs on Friday hmm) making it 12 lbs total loss for me on bootcamp. At least it's in the right direction.

Had about half an inch of snow overnight; only stuck on rooftops and fields though. Cue texts from DS' nursery saying they were understaffed and could we not bring children in unless absolutely vital hmm It doesn't take much!

Well done to everyone who has lost this week! smile

Iamaslummymummy Mon 21-Jan-13 08:19:58

Can I check what the rule is re flax on boot camp light? I have ipd and they say its OK for me now but wanted to check as its not in the rules either way smile

EwanHoozami Mon 21-Jan-13 08:25:38

Morning, dears. Well done everyone on continuing losses.

Banders you've not mucked anything up, old girl. STS is a bit of a result after a biscuit incident!

1lb down here but as it's menstrual-fest at the moment and I'm retaining like a camel I'm happy with that <glug>

I'm going back to Bootcamp Light-ish for the last few pounds towards my target.

PrettyPirate Mon 21-Jan-13 08:38:39

Morning losers!
Only 1lb loss last week but at least it's a loss. Had my first cheat on Saturday, went to London for a weekend with DH and I probably had about a bottle of white wine!! Dinner was at Greek restaurant, so didn't cheat with food but I really enjoyed the wineshock.
Back on track since Sunday morning.
Will continue with bootcamp and do bc light over the weekend, for probably 4-5 weeks.

Yesterday couldn't stop thinking about sweet stuff! Last night I dreamt I was at school cake sale and they had most wonderful creamy cakes there, sort of French patisserie type ones. And didn't have any - even in my dreams I'm strictgrin.

Have a good week everyone!!

slatternlymother Mon 21-Jan-13 08:43:02

thekitchenfairy would you enter me in on the SOF please? I'm at work so I keep getting blocked hmm

I wonder if my smaller weightloss has got anything to do with the bacon I've been nibbling on? I shall cut that out and see what happens.

catinboots Mon 21-Jan-13 08:43:07

Morning campers

I am 3lb down today despite the paella incident on Saturday!

I did what you all suggested and had an omelette before I went, then picked at the paella. I did have a couple of glasses of wine too. Back on track yesterday and strict week this week. I want to be under 10st 7lb by my birthday at the beginning of March.

Re the oopsie rolls - I have made them before when I've done Atkins. They are ok! You can slather them in butter and fill them with ham, or egg or chicken mayo and salad.

gloriafloria Mon 21-Jan-13 08:44:59

Morning All and well done everyone for getting to week 3!

I'm 3lbs down today making a total of 11lbs which I am finding unbelievable. My goal was to lose a stone by May so I know I can do it. I'm enjoying this woe so I'm going to stick with bootcamp during the week and then go lite at the week ends. Need to get into some regular exercise to start toning. I feel great and clothes are fitting nicely but not looking fantastic in the mirror without clothes!

Thank you so much to the fantastic support on this thread. thanks

Lastyearsmodel Mon 21-Jan-13 08:47:34

3lbs off! Strangely mood much improved too grin.

Have lots to lose so will stick to bootcamp for another week. Sympathise with other poster who is missing crispy things - tried pork scratchings yday and gagged. Will try making cheese cracker things.

Well done all you losers and maintainers! Wishing us all lots of stick-at-it-ness for the coming week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now