Threads in this topic will auto-delete after 90 days.

OI CHIEFS! OVER HERE!

(998 Posts)
buzzybuzzybeeshoes Sun 20-Jan-13 14:41:16

Can't link to this from old thread but thought I'd start a new one as the old one was getting full and kept crashing my kindle.

dinkydoos Mon 11-Feb-13 17:11:30

Hello all.

Not too bad a weekend, went over a bit as wentj out for dinner but still on target for week.
However am going to start 5:2 tomorrow with a fast day.... Give me strength!
Think it will fit my lifestyle better.
tea I notice on your non fast days, you don't eat at your Tdee level ( promise I'm not stalking you!) but on the 5:2 threads they imply that you do need to or your body goes into starvation mode etc... Love to hear your thoughts ( basically I will cry if I have to still limit heavily on non fast days). I sort of want to eat healthily in the week inc 2 fast days then eat drink wine at weekends freely.

Lizzylou Mon 11-Feb-13 17:18:40

Welcome back Randall, glad you had a good weekend. Guess you are in penance mode now like me??!
Ok, on these fast days, do you actually fast as in not eat or is it 500 cals? Am getting confused!!
Seems like a good plan as long as you do actually get to eat something!

DoubleMum Mon 11-Feb-13 17:51:44

You eat 500 cals Lizzy, in fact as I have so much to lose I'm going to allow myself up to 600 cals. I've only had 1100 today though and am so full I don't think I'll be having any more, so given that my BMR is 1800 that's like a mini fast I guess.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 11-Feb-13 17:56:36

I'm in massive penance mode Lizzy, Saturday was an almost 2000 cal day blush

Well done on the running bssh.

Lizzylou Mon 11-Feb-13 18:11:43

Ah, thanks Double, I thought so. Then I kept picturing Monks fasting for lent or something and was getting worried.
Think my brain is going into overdrive at lack of food after excesses of weekend.

Bssh, well done you on starting C25k, that is fab.

Randall, ach, you've allowed for it, will atone for it and this is a plan for life. We can't say we are never going to indulge ever again. I think part of what all of this is teaching me is that planning and allowing for times where you over-indulge and then modifying your eating/exercise for the remainder of the week is key.

When I fail is when I tell myself I can never have chocolate or wine, or whatever. Then that is all I want. When I can have what I want (within reason) I can make more informed choices.

Does that make sense? I am hungry! grin

HeyHeySaturday Mon 11-Feb-13 18:47:29

I totally agree Lizzy I now finally get why people would say things like "I'm only having a tiny lunch as I'm having curry tonight" or whatever. I've had some massive indulgences but just cut back before or after. And constantly asking myself if I'm really hungry or just bored. Knowing relative calories also means if I do eat I can eat the stuff that will fill me up for longer.

I also love the fact that nothing is 'banned' but done things will need to be earned. I'm planning to start c25k once it's lighter in the evening as that's the only time of day I can do it. I can't see me ever managing the fast days so I've accepted that my loss will probably be slower.

Go chiefs! Look how much we've all lost already!

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 11-Feb-13 18:55:20

Absolutely, that's how I'm trying to see it. Otherwise I know I'll beat myself up too much. I really wanted to weigh myself today but I know that's a really unhealthy way to think about it so managed to stop myself. (Plus I know logically that it wouldn't have been accurate because I'll be bloated are all the booze and food)

I was pretty good last week and have just about managed to squeeze in under my weekly goal so hopefully if I'm good again this week I shouldn't put myself back too far.

I restricted my portion sizes way more than I would have before, which was bloody had as my friends are very good cooks, buy I really didn't want to waste the whole weekend thinking about bloody dieting.

It's a bloody tricky balance isn't it!

Dinky To be honest I'm a bit confused what starvation mode is - for some reason I think it's your body processes and gets rid of weight fat and muscle but it might be stop losing weight completely? I have no idea whether I am in starvation mode or not confused.

I don't limit myself consciously - as Double implies earlier on it's actually quite a struggle to eat that volume of calories following a fast day! That said I do try on the day afterwards to eat at least 1400 (and some days are much more oops weekends--). My TDEE is only about 1800 [the sad smilie is not enough for this]. At the weekend I tend to eat TDEE or above --cakes and booze. What I do know is that I've lost 10lbs in 30 days which is just about the maximum on a healthy weight loss scale, my percentage body fat has also reduced by 3% in same period which implies that I'm loosing the right stuff. And last week I slipped into the healthy BMI (my percentage body fat was already in average). I've got 7lbs to get to my target so I expect it to slow down soon anyway.

Anyways, I'm not worried about it at the moment but am watching out for to see what happens over the next month. My concern at the moment is whether I'm eating enough to exercise effectively because I'm trying to build up my skills and fitness to start playing hockey with a club again. That said because I want to wear a pencil skirt again if all weight loss goes or my percentage body fat remains static over a three week period then I will try something else. My big problem is I tend to loose weight for two weeks a month and not for two weeks a month due to water retention and bloating around hidden TOTM etc.

Sorry I'm not sure whether you were interested in all of that - it's something I've been thinking about and externalising it has been very helpful.

As you were Chiefs

Randall I went to look at your weekend diaries in order to live vicariously through your over indulgence and I'd just like to say that I don't think your weekend was that bad at all. Well done. You're a better loser than I am!

And Bssh excellent running stuff - I've stopped because I've been doing the Shred in trainers older than half my children and my knee is twinging. Once I've got myself some bouncy shoes I might go running again. I quite liked it.

ooo I've got a massive strikethrough. Clearly it's the lack of food <faints>

dinkydoos Mon 11-Feb-13 19:49:51

Tea I also dont really know what starvation mode is! It's something to do with your body holding onto fat and using muscle to burn. And something to do with metabolic rate decreasing ( insert clueless emoticon). Just keep hearing about it as baaaaaaad! But your 10lb in 30 days is awesome so obviously not an issue.
But the whole thing about 5:2 sort of fascinates me, have only today got round to watching the Horizon programme on it, so am going to give it a whirl.
Although I am very prone to indulging on a weekend, I'm not usually a binger so hopefully can make it work. Will still post here though, that 5:2 thread is a bit too fast and furious for me grin

grin give it a whirl ... i'm staying with the chiefs too as I'm quite happy here now I've started.

<wonders whether starvation mode is something anyone really understands or whether it's been made up by the food industry to keep people eating>

[cynical baaaarstard emoticon]

BsshBossh Mon 11-Feb-13 20:04:33

Good luck dinky. My biggest tip is pre-plan your fast meals (even if you only have one). Another tip, which works well for me at least, is to say, "I can eat that tomorrow" if I'm tempted on a fast day.

DoubleMum Mon 11-Feb-13 20:25:15

Oops I haven't pre-planned my fast meal, but I still have the same chilli I used yesterday so that ought to work, and DH had 2nd helpings so won't mind having it again. The DCs weren't impressed but they can be pancake-y anyway.
Presuming I don't have a poorly DD again (DS seems better), I will pop to Mr T tomorrow and get some miso for soup, and peppermint tea. I can't bear most fruit teas but I have a hankering to try liquorice tea too. I feel quite OK at the thought of it at the moment, it's very bizarre as last week I'd have sworn I couldn't do it. We'll see. Anyway, weigh-in tomorrow, hope there won't be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Herecomesbod Mon 11-Feb-13 21:29:22

Well done all you fasters, losers and runners. I am in awe of people who can run. The last proper running I did was during cross country at school. We had horrible games teachers and a group of us used to get to a point in the course where we couldn't be seen and then just slouch round the rest of the way.

I reckon that's why I have a mental block about running now!

Double glad to hear your DCs are on the mend.

I'm gearing up for a blow-out on Friday with DH, so trying to save a few calories this week.

Hope you're all having a good start to the week.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 11-Feb-13 22:43:42

Thank you Tea, eating tiny portions was flipping difficult. I may have been part of a random snacking session at midnight on the Saturday but managed to resist the snacks the rest of the time so I think that's what made the difference. There were crisps and dips everywhere, it was torture!

I'm vainly hoping I can rectifying things by doing to fast type days today and tomorrow but I think I may just have to the this week on the chin an move on.

I'm an LP and it was my first holiday of any kind on my on with Randall jnr and the canine so I just glad we all survived tbh!

And bloody well done you for being so close to your goal.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 11-Feb-13 22:46:50

I must be tired, that last post was gibberish.

It wasn't gibberish.

You've just been on your first LP hols with DC. Feck you deserve to go over! I took my 3YO DS backpacking for our first by ourselves holiday. I have fond memories of Guinness and crisps by the sea of an afternoon, early bed in a youth hostel with warm Pinot Grigio and having a lot of trouble getting out of bunk beds after a night in a sleeping bag. The next year we went to Spain grin [even more impressed emoticon]

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 11-Feb-13 23:34:29

That sounds lovely. Spain shock blimey, not that brave yet!

My DS is only 18mo. I wasn't technically alone as it was a big group of us but none of my friends have kids or dogs so, whilst absolutely lovely, they are spectacularly unhelpful.

Plus the evenings were very loud and boozy so the fact that he chose last week to start being difficult during the night didn't help me relax!

Still chuffed though. I'd definitely do it again.

Tabbykat Tue 12-Feb-13 07:40:17

Right - need to get back in the game. Have had utterly shit weekend few days diet and life wise - friend's mum has died v unexpectedly and have been helping out with childcare and frankly eating anything and everything whenever I get the chance. No exercise either. Haven't even bothered to log on MFP as too many bits to work out - can safely just assume I'm way way over. Will move on and do better this week.

Well done to all those who have lost and/or kept themselves under control.

DoubleMum Tue 12-Feb-13 07:48:02

Tabby hope you're OK. Randall the holiday sounds great, and well done you for managing it on your own.

1.8 lbs off making a loss of 12.6 lbs. Very pleased, it's coming off steadily.

Oh Tabby I'm sorry. You sound like a lovely friend. You'll be back on it in no time - don't worry about it.

Randall my DS wasn't quite 2 when I started LPing and it was a little relentless. Lovely you've got fun pals though.

Double whoop. That's great - you're approaching your first stone. grin

WiseKneeHair Tue 12-Feb-13 08:49:22

Morning Chiefs.
Tabby that sounds like shit, your poor friend, bet you are a real help. Sometimes there are more important things than what you eat.
Randall a 2000 calorie day is not a blow out. I think you need at least 3000 cals for one of those. grin I'm sure I can show you how to do it properly. You'll soon make that up, well done for getting back on track.
I lost 1.8 lbs also, slightly surprised as AFing. Although I have had nork swelling, it has been less than normal and I don't feel particularly bloated. I wonder if it is all the exercise I have been doing? Not sure I can explain it, but very pleased.

DoubleMum Tue 12-Feb-13 09:05:29

nork swelling?

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 12-Feb-13 09:19:38

Nork swelling! Well jel. And well done for the loss. (It would have been so easy to have 3000 cal blowout, there was huge pans of Thai food everywhere you looked, reigning it in was pure torture!)

So sorry for your loss Tabby, your friend is lucky to have you. Now really isn't the time to beat yourself up about dieting, you've got much more important things going on.

Tea, I've been on my own since DS was 4mo so I get a bit complacent about it all. Relentless describes the weekend very aptly!

Well done to you too Double, that first stone is getting tantalisingly close smile

Lizzylou Tue 12-Feb-13 09:55:24

Oh Tabby, really don't worry about diet when you are being so lovely and supporting your friend. I hope that she is Ok.

Well done Double and Tea on matching weight loss, fabulous!

Our MD made pancakes for everyone and I stayed at my desk and didn't succumb shock

They smelt bloody amazing envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now