OI CHIEFS! OVER HERE!

(998 Posts)
buzzybuzzybeeshoes Sun 20-Jan-13 14:41:16

Can't link to this from old thread but thought I'd start a new one as the old one was getting full and kept crashing my kindle.

Lizzylou Wed 30-Jan-13 21:11:30

I eat my 1200 worth, I don't tend to eat my exercise cals though.

Hmm, perhaps that is where I am going wrong?

I dunno!

Anyway. I am NOT giving up. All this healthy living and exercise can only be doing me good. Fuck the scales!

Lizzylou Wed 30-Jan-13 21:13:36

Oh God Double! I am so with you on the photos. I have always hated having my photo taken, almost every single photo of my boys is with DH, not me.

To be fair I am not photogenic even when slim! But a good reminder to swallow my pride!

Lizzy I know exactly how you feel. It is demoralising - I've had two weeks with no change and I'm weighing in tomorrow - I really hope it isn't a third week at the same weight. I went to talk to the girl that helped me loose 3 stone a couple of years ago and she said that it isn't good to weigh yourself weekly - particularly as a woman - the fluid retention and hormonal cycle can really bugger it all up. She recommends inches measuring and weighing monthly if you have to.

DH - who being a bit of a geek has been doing some research into body types now he's on the healthy bandwagon. It seems that there are three types of body type - the super responder who immediately drops weight and puts on muscle (he is one ggrrrr and has lost a stone in three weeks and found himself a bloody six pack), a middle of the road dude, and a slow responder (we think I'm one of them because we are doing exactly the same thing and I have not lost a stone and I have a one pack!!!)

And I promise that the exercise is worthwhile - the more muscle you have the more calories you burn.

I will cry if I don't record a loss tomorrow and then grump around like a two year old until I've had two cups of tea and a big fecking slice of cake

Geek - that's my target too and I'm stuck at 10st fecking 5 with a BMI reading that says I'm overweight and a percentage body fat figure that says I'm normal. I am clearly a freak!

DoubleMum Wed 30-Jan-13 21:17:01

Lizzy have you worked out your BMR? I am eating just above mine and losing - slowly, considering how very much I need to lose, but losing. Perhaps you are eating too little.

BsshBossh Wed 30-Jan-13 21:42:33

I hear you DoubleMum. That weekly summary on MFP is a lifesaver for me - makes me less stressed out when I go over but it's still a PITA to have to adjust calories downwards on other days.

Good on you for forward planning!

BsshBossh Wed 30-Jan-13 21:46:06

Lizzy, up your cals to your BMR or more then see what happens. Eating between my BMR and TDEE has worked well for me (so far...) and I don't need to think about eating back my exercise cals. I'd definitely try upping your cals as an experiment.

WiseKneeHair Wed 30-Jan-13 21:47:11

Well done losers.
Lizzy well done for not quitting. It can be really demoralising when you don't get a loss. But if you keep going, you will lose weight. Have you measured yourself? You might well have lost inches. And do you feel better in yourself for doing it? If so, surely that's the most import thing rather than a number on a machine.

GeekLove Wed 30-Jan-13 22:07:33

Lizzy
1200 sounds too low for sustained weigh loss. That's what you need if you are just being consious. You'll end up going into starvation mode.

As for body type I am someone who is big bones despite being 5'2 and since having the DCs since the rib cage flares a bit. My body fat percentage is around 30% which is suppose to be ok. That's why for me bmi of 25 or just below is ideal.

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 30-Jan-13 22:55:02

Stick with it Lizzy, your fitness levels must be going through the roof. The rest will fall into place along the way.

Plus I'm guessing you don't have too much to lose either so it's always going to be harder. Same for Tea.

The only reason I've lost so much so quickly is because I was such a bloater to start with. I still need to lose another 2 stone just to touch my maximum healthy BMI. To get to my target which is the absolute middle of the healthy BMI range for my height I've go another 4 stone to go!

Althought the chart also shows the lowest end of healthy to be 8 stone. I'm 5'8" for crying out loud. That's not far off half my starting weight! New that would be an achievement grin

Lizzylou Thu 31-Jan-13 07:30:00

Ok. Have weighed this morning as I woke up feeling lighter and less bloated. 1lb off.
I think I am a slow responder too!
So I am taking all your advice on board and will go up to 1400 cals. My tdee was 1500+ so is that ok???
Sorry for being a moaning Minnie!

BsshBossh Thu 31-Jan-13 07:41:44

Morning Chiefs. A non-fast day for me today but will still be logging in MFP so that I don't overeat and go over my TDEE.

Lizzy good news about the lb. I agree with Randall about weight loss being slower the less you have to lose. I lost weight weekly when I was dieting from 210 lbs but now I'm 164lbs it's coming off more slowly and as I'd still like to take off another 19lbs I can see that there will be many weeks that I won't lose at all. Just keep on going (as you are!).

Do you mind me asking you want your BMR and TDEE is? You do alot of exercise - did you put "moderate exercise 3-5 times a week" into the calculator?

Anyway, well done!

DoubleMum Thu 31-Jan-13 07:54:13

Well done Lizzy! Am going to try not eating today for a while, and save myself for a bit of Dominos!

What's BMR and TDEE? I'm such a novice at this.

No crying for me this morning - well about the weight we'll see how the toddler is today. Weighed in and it said 3 lb loss.

And Bssh I'm on a non fast day too and am going to have a lovely breakfast once the older boys have gone to school.

And yey Lizzy

BsshBossh Thu 31-Jan-13 08:18:40

Wow, Tea whoop! How many more lbs off from goal are you now?

I'm no expert either but my understanding is this: BMR is the number of calories your body needs just to keep it alive and functioning - crudely, it's the number of calories needed to keep you alive in a coma. If you eat below your BMR you compromise the health of your body in the longterm and start eating into muscle tissue to keep itself alive.

TDEE is the amount of calories needed to maintain your current weight and all your daily physical activities. The total calories required includes all the exercise you do. So if I was sedentary my personal TDEE (164.5cm height, 42.5 years old, 164lbs) would be 1759 calories to remain 164lbs and to lose weight I'd have to eat below my TDEE eg at 15% below = 1495 cals a day. But as I exercise intensively 4-5 times a week my TDEE is 2273 cals a day and to lose weight I need to reduce to 1932 cals a day.

BsshBossh Thu 31-Jan-13 08:22:02

If you at TDEE or at a percentage reduction from it, you don't eat back your exercise cals in MFP.

DoubleMum Thu 31-Jan-13 10:20:00

Well done Tea, great loss!
Not doing so well at not eating, have just had a frozen banana and 10 cherry tomatoes, so at least I'm sticking to good things.

Bssh thanks for that. I might go and have a look at all that information.

I'm 10lbs from goal to take me into the upper half of healthy BMI for my height and hopefully a body fat percentage that is healthier too.

Double banana and cherry tomatoes are a great breakfast. I often use tomatoes to stave off hunger - and soft fruit. They're good uns.

DoubleMum Thu 31-Jan-13 10:52:28

I think I need to grow tomatoes this year, I seem to be getting through a lot of them and they are gratifyingly low cal. Although I seem to recall from various MSE posts that last year wasn't a good year for tomato-growing so perhaps not.

nilbyname Thu 31-Jan-13 12:06:38

lizzy dont feel bad, you are working hard, have you measured your vitals? I have stayed the same weight this week but I am slimmer. I have a flatter tummy, and a pair or work trousers that were tight afew weeks ago, now are a tiny bit loose!

double my work lunch is 6 cherry toms, some food doctor seeds and an orange. Tis delicious.

nilbyname Thu 31-Jan-13 12:09:00

bssh numbers make my head really hurt. I understand what the numbers mean for you, but where do I go and how do I work them out for myself.

I am regularly eating under my 1200 cal goal. And then exercising on top. This is bad?

Right, Im really struggling today. I'm on Day2 of my period and Im absolutely starving. Ive rowed for 17 mins this morning and will be cycling later to collect the kids too. I have no energy, have already eaten my lunch and feel like crying that Im not feeling more satisfied.
MFP has me bang on calories for the day with the dinner I have planned.
What can I do?

BsshBossh Thu 31-Jan-13 12:47:34

nilbyname no of course it's not bad. There is no right or wrong here. Tea asked me to explain and so I did. It works for me but in no way would I dictate to others to do the same. We all find our own path smile I work out my numbers via the Scooby site which is here but if you're losing weight then do it any way you want smile

scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

DoubleMum Thu 31-Jan-13 13:16:25

Lula I'm having the same problem today. I decided I needed carbs and had 2 crumpets with a cheese triangle on top about an hour ago - it's only in the last 5 minutes I've stopped feeling hungry. (Off topic it was a revelation to me how low calorie crumpets are in relation to other bread products. I suppose they are a lot of air!) Have you had lots of water or a big giant cup of tea? That should fill you up a bit.

BsshBossh Thu 31-Jan-13 13:18:48

Yes! Just found 15 Hairy Bikers diet recipes on the BBC website. Didn't have the book and was jealous of all the lovely meals some of you are cooking from it. Looks like non-dieting DH would appreciate these too. Will menu plan for next week later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now