OI CHIEFS! OVER HERE!

(998 Posts)
buzzybuzzybeeshoes Sun 20-Jan-13 14:41:16

Can't link to this from old thread but thought I'd start a new one as the old one was getting full and kept crashing my kindle.

dinkydoos Fri 25-Jan-13 11:01:36

Randall yes first time Yesterday after at least a years absence. It does really work, def pulls you in. Noticed you had put it down on mfp as something less strenuous than I had! I put it as circuit training as I had googled how many cals it burned and that seemed closest. Going to try and do 5 times a week...

RandallPinkFloyd Fri 25-Jan-13 11:08:34

I didn't know what to put it down as tbh. I have no clue what calisthenics are, I just remember someone else on MFP mentioning them and the shred in the same sentence once!

I don't often record exercise as I don't use the calories but if I know people can see if I'm shredding or not it'll make me do it iyswim.

DoubleMum Fri 25-Jan-13 11:31:57

Well done Bssh!!
I am feeling relieved that I avoided the very enticing biscuits at the PTA coffee morning after class assembly today.

laurenamium Fri 25-Jan-13 12:06:07

I'm going to attempt to log everything I drink tonight...get ready to hoik your judgey pants grin

namechanger11111 Fri 25-Jan-13 12:15:07

I want something warm for lunch, I was going to have salad but it's too cold. I don't know what to have. I was going to have an omelette but i'm out of cheese. It might have to be beans on toast.

BsshBossh Fri 25-Jan-13 12:18:54

namechanger11111, beans on toast is a yummy lunch and should keep you full for ages. If I'm out of cheese I like some Tabasco or Worstershire (sp?) sauce over it.

I'm having tuna, butter bean and cherry tomato salad for lunch (from the BBC Food website) which though cold is very filling and quite moreish. But I couldn't resist hot buttered toast for breakfast!

namechanger11111 Fri 25-Jan-13 12:39:29

Beans on toast it is then.

DoubleMum Fri 25-Jan-13 12:56:02

I'm having a baked (well microwaved!) sweet potato with cottage cheese.

RandallPinkFloyd Fri 25-Jan-13 13:00:29

Do it Lauren, my cider and hula hoops weekend was enlightening to say the least!

BsshBossh Fri 25-Jan-13 13:06:36

Oh that sounds delicious, DoubleMum. How large is the potato and how long do you microwave it for. I'll add sweet pots and cottage cheese to my shopping list.

HeyHeySaturday Fri 25-Jan-13 13:08:47

I had beans on toast for lunch, I always have marmite on the toast and it adds a yummy salty taste. Mmmm

I've asked on MFP (thanks Randall for answering!) but does anyone have recommendations for decent options from a Chinese takeaway? To make things harder I don't really like prawns or noodle soup. Thanks chiefs!

DoubleMum Fri 25-Jan-13 13:11:31

Well this one was quite large, though the smallest of the bunch, because I got them loose in an online shop. I'd never have picked ones this huge so next time I might add a note to the picker. I did it for about 6 minutes - sweet potatoes need less time than regular ones. And it was delicious, and I am now VERY full. I like baked sweet potatoes because they are moist enough to need no butter.

BsshBossh Fri 25-Jan-13 13:14:19

Stirfried veg HeyHey? Beef and broccoli, chicken with mushrooms... The really simple meat and veg dishes might be best then a small portion of plain rice. Though if it was me I'd make the Chinese my main meal of the day (have a blowout!) then adjust other meals or eat under calories tomorrow...

BsshBossh Fri 25-Jan-13 13:29:20

Does anyone do strength training as well as cardio on here? As you firm up/put on muscle do you notice your weightloss progress slowing down? I want to start lifting heavy weights (on top of my cardio) but am afraid it may stall weightloss (and I still need to see those numbers go down a bit to keep motivated). Muscle weighs more than fat, and all that...

TigerFeet Fri 25-Jan-13 14:34:21

Bssh I don't at the moment but I have done in the past - I found that I really didn't bulk up that much as I'm a bit weedy up top despite the rugby player looks so can't lift much with my arms but noticed a difference in tone, fit of clothes etc.

If I were you I wouldn't worry over much about it causing weight gain, it may do slightly to start with but the more muscle you have, the more calories you need just to tick over so there's definitely a long term positive.

Well done to the shredders. I'm still too scared. I have told myself that when I've lost 2st my joints may well be able to cope with me jumping about a bit more.

RandallPinkFloyd Fri 25-Jan-13 14:38:25

Come on tiger I'm still 14 bloody stone! If I can do it you can.

Awwwight Chiefs.

Gin, Gin, Gin. Gin. Gin, Gin, Gin. Gin. It's only fecking Gin Day.

I am having tuna steak with soy sauce and chilli for tea with lots of veg so I can have a little booze. My thinking is one baked potato or four G&Ts. I know which one I'm aliking if it's Saturday tomorrow .... Lauren enjoy grin

Spinach dahl sounds lovely. Might do that this week.

Bsssh - I have heard it told that the purpose of strength training is to get lots of little tears across your muscles - that's what hurts after a session - and that by doing intermittent sessions what you do is make your metabolism work harder (burn more calories when you exercise) - I'm not sure whether it is true because I heard it from DH and I may not have been entirely listening to him. Regardless of that it does make one sweat like a sweaty horse when squatting with barbell, and I like pretending I'm at the olympics wearing one of those funny old fashioned swimming costumes, so it counts as exercise in my book bah you MPF with your 0 calories for strength I tend to use the strength training to keep my body running because I've got a number of niggly injuries that I need to do counter strength training for.

Good work Shredders and Losers.

<goes off to watch Jillian and the zombie whilst having a peppermint tea>

TigerFeet Fri 25-Jan-13 16:54:33

Randall, if I lose 2st I'll still be more than that blushsad

I really want wine. But wine leads to chocolate. Sob.

RandallPinkFloyd Fri 25-Jan-13 17:17:55

Fair enough, I started at just under 15 myself, it does make you more nervous.

Have a look at it on YouTube though, I steeled myself to watch it yesterday and it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Once I'd watched it I wasn't so scared to try it because I had an idea of what was coming iyswim.

There's low impact versions of most of the moves which helped a lot, I have crap knees as well as being fat so full-on lunges are definitely out!

I don't hurt today either. I can feel I've done something but its not painful, it feels quite nice actually.

I know exactly what you mean, I was terrified of it too and no amount of persuasion on here would have changed that before, (I puked after my first and only go at spinning for crying out loud!) but losing the bit of weight I have has spurred me on.

I may never get passed level one and I may never have a clue how to do a successful press-up, but I did it, and so can you.

Can you have half wine and half chocolate, would that work?!

WiseKneeHair Fri 25-Jan-13 17:38:05

Well done losers.
Had a nice lunch out with DH. The queue for Sushi was out the door shock so we went to an Italian instead. Apart from dipping bread in oil,I think I made good choices and have guesstimated everything on MFP.
Feelin cold, tired and hungry now though and won't have dinner until about 7, so need to keep away from the homemade cookies now. Especially as I need wine or gin or both tonight.

nilbyname Fri 25-Jan-13 17:41:51

gin gin gin. I have had a gin already. I took 3 children to soft play so I needed it.

dinkydoos Fri 25-Jan-13 18:08:41

Day 2 shred complete.
Wine time soon! Def would rather have less food so I can indulge.

Just can't get excited about g and t in the same way (although quite happy to done a few if need be!)
Have a good evening chiefs smile

DoubleMum Fri 25-Jan-13 18:28:19

I'm meant to be doing a dry January and TBH I'm not really missing the alcohol. I'd rather use food for my calories at the moment.

BsshBossh Fri 25-Jan-13 19:32:32

Right, I'll resume a couple of strength sessions next week and log it in MFP. I've been reading around and the risk of weight gain or weight stabilisation (muscle weighs more than fat) is superceded by the fact that muscle burns more calories at resting state. So in the longer term, the more lean muscle I gain the more calories my body will need to burn just to exist.

The dumbbells are being dusted off this weekend.

Way to go Bssh - I suspect that was what DH was saying whilst I was MNing

And viva la difference of le Chefs - wine, gin and food. All blelly lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now