Fitbit for MFP user - is it a good investment?

(8 Posts)
WeightyKaty Wed 23-Jan-13 11:39:47

It motivates me to walk a lot more and for that it is worth it. I love all the graphs and the sleep tracking function is fascinating. I recommend it.

PinkCustard Sat 19-Jan-13 19:52:56

Yes it does differentiate between speed and also altitude (so it knows if you're walking up hill). I put my MFP at sedentary and then it logs my fitness activity from my Fitbit. I really like it and would recommend.

Snowkey Sat 19-Jan-13 08:45:11

I got one a couple of weeks ago. Have enjoyed using it but I wish I had kept the box because I'm worried that in six months time ill be bored with it and want to sell it on eBay and I'm sure it will fetch a good price.

But it is making me move more and I like a good graph, I like targets and this fitness malarky can get a bit dull - nothing like getting an achievement badge for climbing 50 flights of stairs to make you feel like you are 8 years old again - I can't believe I am suckered in by the badges but I am. [shocked]

Pm me with your user id and we can be "friends" - oddly that really helps to keep you moving too - as it ranks your weekly steps amoung your friends.

OneTwoOrThree Sat 19-Jan-13 06:31:33

Oooops, sorry. Belated thanksthanks

TidyDancer Fri 18-Jan-13 15:45:30

You're welcome btw....

OneTwoOrThree Thu 17-Jan-13 10:21:24

I also posted on MFP forums, and got a load of helpful answers...

Link for anyone who is interested

TidyDancer Thu 17-Jan-13 09:36:05

I've read a couple of reviews of this and tbh it doesn't seem to fair well amongst users. I don't know much more than that, I looked into buying one, but didn't get very far with it.

Others may know more.

OneTwoOrThree Thu 17-Jan-13 09:26:53

I'm seriously considering getting a fitbit, but would like to know a little more about how it works?

I get an allowance of 1200 calories a day as I have a sedentary (desk based job). I walk to and from the bus stop, to the sandwich shop for lunch, and around the office but don't count this as exercise. If I wear a fitbit, would it give me extra calorie allowance for this? I am worried it may over calculate what I can eat? Conversely, would it deduct calories if I have a particuarly sedentary day?

My other question is whether or not it differentiates for walking speed - ie a stroll to the library with my toddler must burn less calories than a brisk walk when I'm on my own. Does fitbit take this in to account?

Any other important things I should know about a fitbit? I think I prefer this to the nike+ fuelband and other alternatives as it will sync to MFP and is also discreet to wear.

Thanks for your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now