Anyone want to join me in attempting to lose the caesarean 'shelf'?

(13 Posts)
showtunesgirl Wed 16-Jan-13 12:02:51

Mine is about three finger widths apart. sad That's not bad enough to warrant any kind of surgical intervention though but it does mean that a lot of my normal workout stuff is off limits to me. Sigh.

I have bought a special workout to try and rectify the problem and even though DD is now 14 months, it may still be that I need some more time for things to go back together. The reason being that I am only 5 foot with a small torso and I was over 4 foot round by the time that I was full term. My bump was just enormous as there was nowhere else for DD to go!

choceyes Wed 16-Jan-13 11:39:40

showtunesgirl - I thought I did have diastasis recti as it would explain why my tummy is not going down and no amount of cardio work seems to help. but I have done the test for it and that gap is no more than 1 finger apart from what I can tell which is normal, so I think I just have weak tummy muscles that refuses to budge!

showtunesgirl Wed 16-Jan-13 10:24:17

I have a c-section overhang and though I do need to lose weight, I also haveo diastasis recti. Anyone else have this?

choceyes Wed 16-Jan-13 10:20:50

I'm also giving up wheat and cutting down on sugar (I just can't give up sugar completely - I'm going to limit it to once a day) as I've read they are major contributers for a bloated belly and sugar especially for storing fat around the middle.

choceyes Wed 16-Jan-13 10:18:29

I've had 2 c-sections close together. My youngest is 2.5yrs now! I'm back to my pre preg weight and even a few pounds less, but my overhang is still right there!! I do to Zumba a couple of times a week and I walk a lot so it's not like I'm unfit either. I'm 5'2 and 7st 7lbs, this is 105lbs and a size 8, but my tummy is so big, I look like I'm 5 months pregnant, especially by the evening.

I'm upping the Zumba classes, so I'm doing 3 days a week. And I'm starting on some ab exercises by MuTu (have you heard of them?), and do them for 15min every day. Also planning to do the Shred a couple of times a week.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of the over hand without a tummy tuck tbh. But I want to not look pregnant anymore and flatten my stomach!

BouncyPenguin Wed 16-Jan-13 10:13:34

Yes newmumof2at42 I have to admit I have got bored and had a bit of 'time off' over xmas and have put a pound or 2 back on. Really need to get back to it. Going to start writing it all down again to get myself back on track. I know how it can slowly creep on as it has crept back on many times before!

newmumof2at42 Tue 15-Jan-13 20:31:52

Have exactly the same problem. DD was 2 last week and had 2 sections. Joined s/w and did lose weight at the beginning - 2 stone. But then got bit bored with it and some of the weight crept on -- slowly. I have just started walking when ds is at pre-school - weather permitting - any excuse. I will definitely join with you all and hope i can give tips and receive some. As you have pointed out the shelf needs to be put to rest. It is hard especially with the wine. But it did work before and now like bouncypenquin i am doing it on my own again. I have another 2 stone to lose and stay off!

Anomaly Mon 14-Jan-13 20:06:00

I'm in. I've had three sections and my tummy is terrible. I think I'm around 150 pounds and need to lose at least a stone. All my extra weight is around my waist and tummy. I've lots of lovely clothes which would fit beautifully if only I shifted the weight.

DH is joining me and I think the plan is to cook most meals form scatch - we've bought the hairy bikers cook book to help inspire us. We're both logging everything on MFP.

fourfingerkitkat Mon 14-Jan-13 17:26:58

Can I join too ? I'm 5ft 6 and weigh 10st 8.5lbs according to the scales this morning. Whilst this may not appear massively overweight, I'm carrying it all around my waist and I'm pissed off that nothing fits me and I haven't got the money to buy new stuff so need to get my finger out. I'd like to get down to 9st 7lbs. We were watching the Christmas video the other day and I was horrified how I looked in it...belly on me still looks about 5 months pregnant ! My downfall is my sweet tooth, I can eat really well all day then blow it on a family size button of giant chocolate buttons and creme eggs. Numpty...

Today I've had:
2 boiled eggs + 2 wholegrain ryvita

25g cashew nuts
85g grapes
banana
clementine

homemade veggie chilli + 30g brown rice + cauliflour and brocolli.

(Also caved and ate two wee chocolate xmas pudding sweets at the softplay with the kids....the halo slipped.)

Also had 2 cups of tea and some water. Don't actually feel hungry at all. I lost a lot of weight after DS1 having read "You can be thin" by Marisa Peer and cut out wheat and dairy. My Mum has coeliac disease and is also lactose intolerant and I'm wondering if I may have some allergies too as I felt so much better when cutting out the wheat and dairy in addition to losing about a stone.

BouncyPenguin Mon 14-Jan-13 12:07:28

2 stone off flootshoot. I'm 5 ft 6 and that's 10% of my body weight off. I am out of the obese range now and feel so much better for it. My aim is to get out of the overweight range with about another 2 stone off. Then I'lll see how I feel and whether I want to take any more off. I'm vegetarian so I follow the green plan of slimmingworld. This means eating as much as i want of veg, fruit, pasta, rice, rice, potatoes, eggs, low fat quorn products, but don't cook with fat (use 1 cal spray). I have limited amount of cheese, milk, bread and cereal. I can have a small amount of 'syns' which for me means I have a low fat hot chocolate drink in the evening and use the rest for gravy, ketchup etc. Did the slimmingworld online for a while but now know it off by heart so just do it myself. Good luck with the weight loss!

flootshoot Mon 14-Jan-13 05:25:03

bouncy I've got about a stone to a stone and a half to shift (I'm under 5 foot so that's more than it sounds). I'm using my Fitness Pal. How much have you lost so far?

BouncyPenguin Sun 13-Jan-13 08:08:38

I recommend Slimming World. I have lost 2 stone by loosely following this since August 2012. Quick fixes don't work and aren't sustainable. It's got to be something you can loosely follow for the rest of your life or else it will all come back on and more. Got 2 more stone to lose. Expecting it to take until the end of the year. I had c section with DS1 and VBAC with DS2. Can sympathize about 'shelf'! Will always be there. Just want to feel fitter and not have to hide from mirrors!

flootshoot Sun 13-Jan-13 07:49:14

DD is two in March, she was my second caesarean and I really ought to do something about the overhang...!

I don't really have a plan aside from cutting portion size s, increasing fruit and veg intake and exercising. Am going to attempt the 30 day shred for the first time tomorrow....

Anyone care to join me and see how much tummy flattening we can do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now