I had my hypno gastric band 'fitted' by Paul McKenna last night...

(740 Posts)
lynniep Fri 11-Jan-13 11:01:11

...so far so good! Admittedly its not even 11am yet, but I havent eaten my snacks which are sitting on my desk and not even tempting me! Normally I don't allow myself anything till 10am, then I pounce!

I am doing this in conjunction with weightwatchers, which Paul McKenna would not approve of, since he despises 'diet clubs' (boy does this come through loud and clear in his book).

However since I don't know the man personally, and I feel I need the WW sessions for support, I am carrying on with pro- pointing and hoping that my gastric band will provide the backup I need to not binge and eat more than my body needs.

I've been (back) on weightwatchers for several months now and failed miserably because I am both a compulsive eater and a (hopefully) reformed bulimic.

I'd like to think this will help me - and I'm willing to try it because I am now as heavy as I was just after I gave birth to DS2 3 years ago (my heaviest, unless you count when I was 40 weeks pg!)

If anyone is interested I will report back smile

bulshit Tue 05-Feb-13 15:00:54

HI Vampygirl, I am so pleased that you have lost 7lbs already. I do understand what you mean about thinking about food. I myself think about food, but like you I try to think am I really hungry.

For me is early days, I am only on day 2 and it's just after lunch time. I am going to stick at it as I feel this is my last chance to make a life time change.

I have been combining the gastric band with exercise. I installed the band yesterday and did my 20min walk then in the even I practice Zumba, it took me over one hour and twenty min to practice the moves plus the basic workout. This morning I done twenty five mins strength training and hopefully will do Zumba basic again tonight. Some of the moves in the Zumba are quite difficult but I take this as a challenge.

Hopefully I will win. I wish you luck and keep going. xxxxx

bulshit Tue 05-Feb-13 15:14:40

HI McKennp1, that's a good sign that you are experiencing pain. It proves that it is working. Keep going and I wish you the best.

Loosing weight is hard enough so if the individual can find a easier and safe way to achieve a good out come, I would say go for it

Good luck and keep being positive.xxx

bulshit Tue 05-Feb-13 15:15:27

HI Vampygirl, I am so pleased that you have lost 7lbs already. I do understand what you mean about thinking about food. I myself think about food, but like you I try to think am I really hungry.

For me is early days, I am only on day 2 and it's just after lunch time. I am going to stick at it as I feel this is my last chance to make a life time change.

I have been combining the gastric band with exercise. I installed the band yesterday and did my 20min walk then in the even I practice Zumba, it took me over one hour and twenty min to practice the moves plus the basic workout. This morning I done twenty five mins strength training and hopefully will do Zumba basic again tonight. Some of the moves in the Zumba are quite difficult but I take this as a challenge.

Hopefully I will win. I wish you luck and keep going. xxxxx

emmief77 Wed 06-Feb-13 16:42:16

Listened to trance CD last night (only been a few days since I listened to installation CD, but I couldn't wait any longer) .... So, there I am all snuggled up in bed listening to the trance on my iPod (have burnt the trance track onto it)... DH bowls in, turns on tv and en suite light... Not so relaxing then sad..
Try again tonight

brainonastick Wed 06-Feb-13 22:16:35

Hello, just marking my place for a week or so's time.

I read the book last night, and I just felt so positive today that I could actually do this and be free from eating issues. The basic rules in the book are just total common sense, but it made me realise how much I have lost touch with eating for hunger, rather than to alter my mood. And the more sugar/carbs i eat, the worse i feel, so the more i eat... Haven't even listened to the cd yet, and have been much more mindful today of eating. Have barely felt hungry at all, and just had some coco pops (my favourite) which tasted disgustingly sweet. This is weird!

I want to follow the rules though, so will stick with walking /exercise and keeping the high fat/sugar food to a minimum for a week or so before I 'install' the band.

I'm aiming to lose at least 3 stone in the next 6 months. My main concern is that the effects of the hypnosis will wear off after a few weeks.

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 06-Feb-13 22:35:08

Hi brain. Eating consciously really seems to make a difference to how things taste, doesn't it?

I am nervous tonight, I started this last Thursday so will weigh myself tomorrow. I feel it has been going really well, and I haven't felt like I am on a diet at all, so I am really scared I won't have lost any weight. I'm also scared that the hypnosis will wear off, so I have decided to listen to the CD trance again tomorrow.

Loumumoffour Thu 07-Feb-13 07:22:43

It won't wear off. Also you can listen as often as you like to the cd to give the mindset of readjusting the band, also retread the book. The 4 rules help tremendously!

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 07-Feb-13 07:31:43

Just weighed myself - 6lbs lost!

I have a big grin on my face now!

Loumumoffour Thu 07-Feb-13 07:35:16

Fabulous Anne!! Way to go girl!!!!!! Xx

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 07-Feb-13 07:52:45

Thanks, Lou. grin

brainonastick Thu 07-Feb-13 09:08:12

Oh Anne! That's fantastic, you must be so chuffed!!

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 07-Feb-13 09:13:43

Thanks Brain, yes, I am totally chuffed. A long way to go, but it is a good start and the best bit is that it seems sustainable - I don't feel like I'm on a diet at all.

TheMaskedHorror Thu 07-Feb-13 09:31:00

Well done Anne! Thats a fab start, Almost half a stone already!
I'm weighing tomorrow. My jeans feel looser and dh thinks I have so I'm sure I've lost some weight.

Brain glad you feel so positive.

I'm worried about the effects wearing off too - especially on weekends - so I've decided to listen to it every friday night for the next couple of weeks.

The other thing I've realised is how mad was I to hardly chew my food before?? Chewing your food properly should be how you eat. It makes such a difference.

ripsishere Thu 07-Feb-13 09:43:53

Can I ask a question before I join? a friend had a proper gastric band fitted (she has lost around 15 stones so far) and another had a hypnotist fit one for her. Both 'complained' that you have such a small stomach capacity, you start to feel a bit sick after four tablespoons of food or fluid.
Is that the same with Mr McKennas one?

Loumumoffour Thu 07-Feb-13 09:45:25

It doesn't happen like that for me, I just reach a point agree I know I'm happily full.

Loumumoffour Thu 07-Feb-13 09:45:53

Where not agree!!

TheMaskedHorror Thu 07-Feb-13 09:51:42

No not at all. You're just more aware of when you're full and don't need to eat.
I have proper meals.
Yesterday I had a big bowl of porridge, a mexican beanburger (no bun), a few chips and some veg, a h/m biscuit then I wasn't really very hungry for dinner so had about 5 forkfuls of fish pie that I'd made. I just stopped when I was full.

angelinterceptor Thu 07-Feb-13 13:58:24

must admit I have been so inspired reading all your messages on this thread.
I just had to get the book, and I so want this to work - you wouldn't believe how much. I have all these great intentions and always seem to sabotage my good work within days of starting.

so called 'diets' are never any good, as I am a bit of a fussy eater, and find them very restrictive etc.

I started to read the book yesterday, but want to go over it properly tonight when I have more time, and hopefully some peace and quiet.

What do you all suggest, wait for a couple of days before installation, or 2 weeks?

Also, have you all told people what you are doing? Or is it a private thing - which was what I was thinking of doing.

brainonastick Thu 07-Feb-13 14:23:10

I'm waiting a few days - maybe a week, although I'm impatient to get going. But I'm practising the techniques (the 4 rules) even so, plus avoiding the high sugar/fat stuff - amazingly no mid-morning snack for me, and a small lunch and now I feel really full (actually, a bit too full). I think I want to give it the maximum chance to work, and to stop eating the sugary crap now and start to get over the sugary cravings now might help when its time for 'surgery'.

I've only told DH - and only in a jokey way. One of the benefits of this approach is that you can eat whatever you want, so you don't need to avoid social situations. You just only eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are full. And sit down to eat properly and consciously. So I don't see why you would need to tell anyone really, as you're not doing anything that a naturally thin person wouldn't do anyway.

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 07-Feb-13 14:23:34

Good luck, Angel!

I haven't told anyone apart from DH - because I had to explain why I wanted to always eat at the table and was leaving over half of my dinner! I haven't had to bother telling anyone else, because I am not on a diet where I can't have this or that. It is very liberating.

TheMaskedHorror Thu 07-Feb-13 14:52:03

I read the book and did the cd over a couple of days and initially I thought it wasnt working. I had to listen to the cd 2 more times before I felt it working. Perhaps if I'd done what it said to do ie wait 2 weeks, I wouldnt have had that issue?

I didnt want to tell anyone even dh but he found the book and laughed at me (not horribly but in 'what a silly idea, another faddy thing')
I'm determined to have the last laugh grin

angelinterceptor Thu 07-Feb-13 15:04:08

Thanks ladies, I wasn't even going to tell my DH - I think he would die laughing too.
Might just wait and see...

I will try to leave it for a week or so then - to get the best effect

Hope we all keep in touch and share our results

emmief77 Thu 07-Feb-13 17:38:37

Know how you feel about telling DH, mine has been taking the
mickey out of me... BUT, i felt really good today when a mum on the
School run (who i don't even know) asked me if i'm trying to lose
weight, cos it looked like it smile. One problem i do have is being
deaf in my right ear, and therefore not hearing anything that is
said that side. Am i right in thinking that Paul says different things to
each ear?

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 07-Feb-13 18:04:46

I have to admit I didn't tell DH until I had been doing it a few days - circumstances meant we weren't eating at the same time so he didn't notice.

Yes, emmie, Paul does say different things in each ear at the same time. Noticed it a lot more when I listened to the trance again today. Can you get to listen to it in mono rather than stereo so that it all comes through the same ear?

Fairygen Thu 07-Feb-13 18:22:30

Hi, I bought the book about a week ago and, to be honest was slightly scared of the hypnosis part. Never tried anything like this before. Decided to listen to the cd this am.... Well, I can't believe it, my stomach actually feels tighter! Hardly eaten anything today compared to usual, but think I've left it too long between meals as starting to get pretty hungry and dinner will be another 30 mins! Great first day though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now