I had my hypno gastric band 'fitted' by Paul McKenna last night...

(740 Posts)
lynniep Fri 11-Jan-13 11:01:11

...so far so good! Admittedly its not even 11am yet, but I havent eaten my snacks which are sitting on my desk and not even tempting me! Normally I don't allow myself anything till 10am, then I pounce!

I am doing this in conjunction with weightwatchers, which Paul McKenna would not approve of, since he despises 'diet clubs' (boy does this come through loud and clear in his book).

However since I don't know the man personally, and I feel I need the WW sessions for support, I am carrying on with pro- pointing and hoping that my gastric band will provide the backup I need to not binge and eat more than my body needs.

I've been (back) on weightwatchers for several months now and failed miserably because I am both a compulsive eater and a (hopefully) reformed bulimic.

I'd like to think this will help me - and I'm willing to try it because I am now as heavy as I was just after I gave birth to DS2 3 years ago (my heaviest, unless you count when I was 40 weeks pg!)

If anyone is interested I will report back smile

ControlGeek Wed 23-Jan-13 19:57:16

Apologies for the number of exclamation marks in my last post, I have no excuse other than being tired and overexcited. Tonight I'm just tired wink

Good luck Lynnie for your WI tomorrow. Remember, any loss is good as it means the weight is going in the right direction. I'm on day 2 of the 30 day shred, but also spent the day mucking out horses so am feeling a little sore and sorry for myself tonight.

awsangel I'm another one with food issues, I don't fully understand my issues myself so I'm not going to try and put them all out here on the thread. What I do know is that WW isn't a diet club to me, it's an education on what healthy eating is all about - what is a normal portion, what proportion of the different food groups should you have on your plate, that kind of thing. I really need that structure and support if I'm to not fall back into my food issues.

bopper I've not done the ICMYT - is that just going into more detail on the 4 golden rules, or is there more to it that the HGB doesn't touch on? I'm still working on recognising when I feel full, but eating at a snail's pace is really helping a lot.

bopper198 Thu 24-Jan-13 16:22:09

Hiya controlgeek

The I can make you thin book is really good and I would recomend reading it, it goes in to more detail a bit about the golden rules but there is also a lot of other really good information. I too have a lot of food issues and have done diet clubs for many years.

But this year I am finally going to get over my food problems and get to my ideal weight so that I can be happy in myself.

I have a page on facebook called Paul mckenna I can make you thin, my journey. There are a group of people and we all support each other. I started the page ages ago but only this year that I have really got in to it again.

Hope your all having a good day x

lynniep Thu 24-Jan-13 21:39:29

Yey! lost 2.5lb in my second week. V. happy tonight smile

angelabbie Thu 24-Jan-13 22:46:17

well done lynniep that is brilliant. Bopper I have joined your facebook page.

SJT62 Fri 25-Jan-13 08:59:54

I'm really surprised, I had my gastric band fitted on Tues night, on Weds, I didn't finish my porridge for breakfast, I was full (the dog finished it), my normal 10am snack time went by, I wasn't hungry. At lunchtime I only ate 3/4 of my lunch and on the night I had Red Wine and Beef Casserole, cabbage and 2 yorkshire puds - only ate 1/2 the casserole and didn't touch the cabbage!!!!

On Thurs again didn't finish my porridge (the dog did - she's loving this however the dog may need to go on a diet soon lol), no snack at 10am, had an apple at 11.30 as I was hungry. I had my lunch at 1.30pm (never heard of, I am always starving at 12) no snacks in the afternoon. Dinner was Leek and Bacon Risotto, again only ate 3/4 of it.

After 2 days (Fri morning is always my weigh in day) -0.5lbs! Amazing in 2 days especially since I don't have a lot to lose, I only want to lose about 10lbs.

lilac68 Fri 25-Jan-13 09:25:40

Im a mum of four aged 19,17,15 and 6, i fitted the hypntic gastric band on sunday and have as of today lost 6lb don't know how or why has worked by i now only want brown bread, fruit, healthy stuff have no desire to eat crisps, biscuits chocolate etc. Is great, I run a personalised gift store on line so am sitting a lot of the time on the computer and the weight had crept on.

Advise to anyone is give it a go you have nothing to lose.

SparePants Fri 25-Jan-13 11:45:47

Wow these results are looking fab smile
I lost another 3lbs last night which adds up to 9lbs in 2 weeks!
I think I'm going to have a top-up session with the CD tonight though as I've "forgotten" a couple of times about eating slowly and mindfully. Keep up the good work everyone.

bopper198 Fri 25-Jan-13 12:01:50

Hiya

angelabbie thanks for joining my page hope it helps I think its good to have lots of support.

I hope everyone is getting on ok today, all your weight losses are great it gives me hope that it will work for me too. I only weigh once a month on the 1st at least I try to. Otherwise I get a bit stressed about the numbers and thats not how I want to live anymore. I have spent too many years having my mood determined by those numbers!

angelabbie Fri 25-Jan-13 13:43:55

Thanks Bopper, I like your thinking but I am a once a week weigh in girl but I may try and make it longer. I am feeling really good about the band at the moment even though my friends and family are taking the mick out of me. I am determined to prove them wrong. Its only been four days so I shall weight on Monday. Have a good weekend everyone.
x

Dizzydora71 Fri 25-Jan-13 14:13:44

Hi just letting everyone know Amazon are selling Paul Mckenna hypnotic gastric band book and cd for £7.00 with free delivery .

SparePants Sat 26-Jan-13 06:53:13

And if you can't wait for delivery, Sainsburys have it in store for £6.49.

TheMaskedHorror Sat 26-Jan-13 11:05:33

I've read the book, watched the dvd and need to listen to the cd.
I'm hoping I'll get time tonight to do it. I am so encouraged by this thread!

Hi folks, mind if I join in? I'm giving the gastric band a go. I've finished the book and worked through the Havening technique a couple of times. And tomorrow when the DDs are out for the day I'll do the installation CD.

I did try the previous DVD Paul KcKenna had out (never read the book) but it didn't do much for me. I hope this will work better.

I understand about food, nutrition, portion sizes etc. And I love exercise. But I've been using exercise to keep my weight under control for years. I'm a binge eater and very much an emotional eater - any stress and I'll start inhaling chocolate and cake, thousands of calories' worth in one sitting. So diets don't work for me because I need to break that emotional link between stress and needing to eat.

I'm under loads of stress at work, and injured my ankle 6 months ago which has meant I can't exercise, so my weight has ballooned.

So, I'm ready to make a mental change. I hope the havening will help me to stop reaching for chocolate when I'm feeling bad. And the 4 Golden Rules should help me stop the mindless food shovelling.

I did want to do this properly, with the whole 2 weeks abstaining from junk food and walking 20 mins a day. But I can't stop eating the crap due to all my stress, and if I wait until I can stop for 2 weeks I'll never get there.

So tomorrow it is. Wish me luck!!

Sonkey Sat 26-Jan-13 22:45:19

How are people getting on with this? I've read the book and listened to the pre op so am planning on doing the fitting next week.

lynniep Sun 27-Jan-13 14:57:28

Good luck with the new starters. I'm still on track. Had a takeaway last night (ok some ready meals from Waitrose - I was a bit anxious about getting an actual takeaway so DH compromised) and I threw away the leftovers.

Yes, you heard me. I threw them away. I didnt shovel them into my gob before the cartons hit the bin even though I was full and really didnt want anymore. I asked DH if he wanted them for lunch the next day and he said no, so I made the decision to bin them.

Now this is a breakthrough for me - I was, like many folk, raised to eat everything and not waste food. Its ingrained into my head. Along with an inability to leave a packet of biscuits alone once opened and many other habits I've formed. So I am feeling very smug today as that is probably the first time in my life I've been able to do that. smile

I'm going to listen to the installation track now. Very nervous for some reason, and have been procrastinating about it all day. I guess it's because I don't know what will be on it.

I've just eaten my lunch at the table with laptop closed. That really is going to be very hard for me, the conscientious eating. But he's right, it was extra yummy.

See you on the other side.

TTprincess64 Sun 27-Jan-13 15:48:02

Have read through your posts and am inspired to give it a go - nothing ventured and all that. Off to order now .....

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 27-Jan-13 15:56:44

I got the CD about a week ago and have listened to it a couple of times and read the book.

I have to say it doesn't appear to be working for me.

I did the Ican make you slim CD a couple of years ago and it worked fantastically for me for a couple of months and then stopped.

I think it's because subconsciously when I hit the 11st mark which I'm at right now because of WW I decide that I am thin enough and couldn't be bothered with the effort it would take to lose the extra 1/2 stone that would make all the difference to me.

I'll keep persevering though, in theory I think its a brilliant idea.

emmief77 Sun 27-Jan-13 18:34:41

Hey, bought the Gastric Band book from Amazon tonight smile

How often do you listen to CD when you first get it? Do you feel more motivated to exercise?

Dizzydora71 Sun 27-Jan-13 18:40:27

I've ordered the gastric band book and cd . For last three days I've been listening to icmyt trance part as its been helping me sleep. In last three days my appetite has completely gone and I'm struggling to do 1,200 calories a day .

NotHerRealname Sun 27-Jan-13 19:02:30

I "fitted" mine last night. Went out for pizza with family today and just had a small amount of salad and a couple of slices of pizza. Normally I would have eaten half a large pizza plus garlic bread so that was pretty good for me.
It seems to be going well, in that I am able to leave food on my plate as I am definitely full quicker. I am consciously trying not to stuff the food in and listen to my body though cos I reckon it might be easy to override the hypnosis.
Maybe those of us who have done this should post their weight loss in a couple of weeks as that would be the real test. I am doing ww too though to back it up!

jodex Sun 27-Jan-13 20:45:18

Hi All,

I had my 'surgery' on Saturday afternoon and i can honestly say i was very sceptical to start with, however i am finding it very hard to explain why i am leaving so much food,,,!!!! It is sooo not me!

I only had two small squares of my sarnies at work today and only ate half of my stir fry tonight. I really hope it keeps up.... Good Luck Everyone.

notnowImreading Sun 27-Jan-13 21:01:14

This is really interesting. I have never heard of this. How does it stop when you're thin enough? Does it wear off over time? Do you have to keep topping it up with extra viewings?

Well, I ate all my dinner and still wanted more. Not sure if I just had a small portion of dinner or if this doesn't work. I'm having to use willpower not to graze on biscuits now. But I suppose it's not an overnight miracle cure.

I suspect the mail crux of the technique's success lie in eating slowly and concentrating on your food, so you don't mindlessly stuff yourself.

Will report back again in a few days.

angelabbie Mon 28-Jan-13 12:02:28

Hi Annie,

If you wanted more dinner then you must have it, the idea is to stop when you are full. It can be hard to recognise that feeling but give yourself a chance and you will know. I have done it for just a week now and its so easy to forget to eat slowly and concentrate on what you are doing but it really does make a huge difference when you do. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
I am going to weigh in tomorrow so will let you know what I have lost. I have eaten what I want when I am hungry and not what I thought I should eat so we shall see!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now