I had my hypno gastric band 'fitted' by Paul McKenna last night...

(740 Posts)
lynniep Fri 11-Jan-13 11:01:11

...so far so good! Admittedly its not even 11am yet, but I havent eaten my snacks which are sitting on my desk and not even tempting me! Normally I don't allow myself anything till 10am, then I pounce!

I am doing this in conjunction with weightwatchers, which Paul McKenna would not approve of, since he despises 'diet clubs' (boy does this come through loud and clear in his book).

However since I don't know the man personally, and I feel I need the WW sessions for support, I am carrying on with pro- pointing and hoping that my gastric band will provide the backup I need to not binge and eat more than my body needs.

I've been (back) on weightwatchers for several months now and failed miserably because I am both a compulsive eater and a (hopefully) reformed bulimic.

I'd like to think this will help me - and I'm willing to try it because I am now as heavy as I was just after I gave birth to DS2 3 years ago (my heaviest, unless you count when I was 40 weeks pg!)

If anyone is interested I will report back smile

Rulesgirl Tue 11-Jun-13 22:59:48

Im not sure VeryStressed what sort of food you are classing as "healthy option". In this woe, as you know, there are no good or bad.
So for instance I eat full fat mayo, salted welsh butter, lovely chocolate, olive oils , cream , full fat yoghurt in fact I have greek yoghurt with honey. Nothin diet or low fat (cause they are full of artificial rubbish and chemicals anyway) biscuits, real chocolate cake and other cake. Thing is real food as close to nature as possible is usually nicer. Sugar not sweetners etc. Anyway, this for me is normal food and as far away from diet food as can be. smile

Fairygen Wed 12-Jun-13 08:46:41

I love 'real' butter!! More importantly, I love not having to weigh it out, or have a set quantity. In the past a lot of my meals have been 'nice, but could have done with a dribble of oil, or splash of cream, glug of red wine etc'. Now my meals taste great.

I've really had to go back to basics with my cooking. I could make a cheese sauce using quork or Phili with my eyes shut, but can't remember how to make a traditional one.

Rulesgirl Wed 12-Jun-13 13:19:08

Oooooo Fairy I love real cheese sauce. Have it whenever I cook meat and veg cause I have some on my broccoli and leeks. When you start eating like this food has sooo much more flavour cause it has a bit of butter on it, like a fluffy oven baked jacket potato with a dollop of salted butter. Amazing!!!! Needs nothing else because the taste is all there and when your food tastes amazing....guess what.....you find you don't need to eat as much eventually.

veryberrybug Wed 12-Jun-13 21:53:53

hellooo!
stressed i wonder if you don't know what to eat because you're not really hungry, it's just that your mouth is bored. if i'm not sure, i put my hand just under my sternum & give it a little press on the squidgy bit there, it brings my awareness to that place which is where you feel hunger if it feels a bit growly like it wants to curl in on itself, then you're hungry! if not, try just a glass of water as it takes away the boredom of your mouth.

rules & fairy yey! i love butter too! on toasted spelt bread is my favourite with some honey or lemon curd or marmalade - i can still taste the butter underneath them! DPs aunty marianne (of bloody marvellous buffet fame & plenty full fat baking) taught me a great way of making the smoothest white sauce - heat milk & add cornflour (dissolved in cold milk) & stir on the heat until it thickens. then add cheese or fish or whatever. i always used to make it with butter & normal flour & had to balloon whisk it to get lumps away, but this way's foolproof!!

clench are you there? how are you getting on? i know you were having a little wobble, has it settled down? i've sat down with EFT level II & am starting to try & peel the layers of the onion off me mentals as it were... i find it hard knowing what questions to ask so that i know what to tap though confused

Rulesgirl Thu 13-Jun-13 15:01:32

Hi.....hows people doing with the band? Is it working for you?

veryberrybug Fri 14-Jun-13 22:32:47

hello all hope everyone's well smile

i went for my monthly weigh & measure & i've lost 3lbs & my body fat % has gone down by a decent amount! yey! it may not sound like much but bear in mind the band hasny installed for me, so i've just been doing the four golden rules, & TBH i've been really frantic the last few weeks been very hectic so i wasny thinking i'd done so well (often just not the time to chew everything slowly).

the nicest thing is it feels sustainable, & my body fat has gone down more than when i'd done a diet month & been trying really hard & feeling hungry a lot, but this time comparatively it's been much less effort to be mindful than it was when it was sheer caloric deprivation. so nice to get some confirmation that this is definitely the right path - it feels right & now i'm seeing actual results too grin

Rulesgirl Sat 15-Jun-13 01:00:29

Well done very. You never know, the band might actually be working for you.

veryberrybug Sat 15-Jun-13 19:52:42

LOL i wish! having just put away 3 big fat sausages, a pile of DPs finest fluffy mash & some veg & gravy, i don't think so envy when you talk about your 4 mouthfuls i've barely gotten started! but hey, any progress is good in my book smile have a nice weekend everyone - i'm so rock&roll a film & a bottle of wine awaits wine

Fairygen Sun 16-Jun-13 18:08:12

Hi all, well done very.

I've been so busy this week I have hardly thought of food, and when I have eaten I've tried my best to follow the rules ( not always successfully!!) I was away at the end of the week and over the weekend, and what a refreshing change not to be stressing over what I'm eating, trying to find something to eat that'll fit into a diet.

veryberrybug Sun 16-Jun-13 22:32:11

thanks fairy i know what you mean it's like getting the new freedom of pauling all over again when you do it in a different setting. it's nice isn't it, when you're busy with something & then you realise hours later you haven't thought of food. quite different to dieting when it's more like "oh i'll need to do this to try & take my mind off the constant longing for food" but still longing all the time. i used to dream about eating massive pizzas i was so hungry & deprived feeling! & in a twisted way i enjoyed it because at least that way it seemed real that i'd got to eat the whole damn thing without the shame or guilt or counting the calories - how bad is that!! so glad i don't feel like that now. i went & bought a bar of lovely galaxy earlier & then didny eat it... later i only had 2 squares OMG!! shock

veryberrybug Sun 16-Jun-13 22:51:31

clench if you're still out there, thanks again for the EFT link, i did loads of tapping on multiple aspects on friday, wasny sure if anything had happened, but then i've just realised today i've been browsing swimwear for me jolly holibags in 2weeks & found myself not upset with being a size larger than last year, but rather just being practical "nope that's a bit bulgy: not a good look; i'll leave that one for next year. now what flatters what i've got?" amazing!! not a sad browse of shame like usual but a practical search to make the best of what i've got for now!!

if anyone else wants to just get on with finding clothes without feeling like shit about it, i'd heartily recommend www.emofree.com just to back up how this tapping has worked (it's like the havening) please note that only last sunday i was uptown trying on summer wear & ended up feeling seriously bad about myself because of my current size. having tapped about my shame at the prospect of getting into swimwear i just don't feel bad about it! quite nice to feel better while i'm still on the way to my ideal size, without having to wait to be thin to feel better...

Rulesgirl Mon 17-Jun-13 18:15:28

I've only lost three pounds in three weeks very and I'm trying hard to look at it positvely cause that's three pounds fat gone and eating normally. For me though I believe the band is giving me the edge. I stopped listening to it for a week and started feeling derailed and unmotivated. Listened to it yesterday and instantly started making mindful choices. It definitely works but it's there to help you not to do the work for you. It would do no harm maybe for you to keep listening to it as backup as you don't have to believe it for it to work. confused

Fairygen Mon 17-Jun-13 18:17:10

Hi, I was just wondering, has anyone lost a decent amount of weight? ( a stone +)

I lost another 1/2 this week, which is at least going in the right direction. I can put up with the small losses, because I don't feel deprived.

ljc7 Mon 17-Jun-13 23:01:25

Hope you don't mind me barging in. I have a BMI of between 23 and 24, and I just can't lose the stone I'd like to to get back to about 22 where I feel at my best. Is it safe for someone like me to use the Hypnotic Gastric Band? It talks about being for BMI's over 25 ideally 30.

Any ideas welcome, thanks

Rulesgirl Tue 18-Jun-13 01:30:34

Hi lj....I think the bmi thing only applies to a real gastric band. The hypno one is for anyone. I want to lose a stone and have been trying for a couple of years. I never gain weight and even though I exercise I don't seem to be able to lose it. So far I have lost 3lb in 3 weeks. I was listening to the cd every day and it was really enabling me to eat mindfully. I didn't listen to it at all last week and didn't lose anything . Listened to it yesterday and already im eating less. Give it a try....if your doing Paul McKenna though you do need to read about how the 4 golden rules works and then the gastric band is a booster then gives you the edge. Hope that helps. smile

Rulesgirl Tue 18-Jun-13 01:38:02

Fairy if you look on Amazon you will find a lot of reviews for the Gastric Band and one lady has been doing it for 6 months and has lost a lot of weight. In fact quite a few people on their have lost a lot. I have only lost 3lb since doing the band with PMICMYT but I am happy with that .Of course I would have loved it to come of more quickly but I appreciate that it takes time to really understand the part you have to play in this way of eating. The band gives you the edge but you really do have to concentrate and do the 4 golden rules. They are the key and for me the band really really makes a big difference to my attitude. Its a bit like magic in that I notice the difference in when I do the cd and when I don't. If you losing half a pound then that's about the same as me and very so your doing good. And if its any help I think that the more slowly it comes off the harder it is to go on cause its real fat loss not water. Try and add up how much that half a pound will be in a few months. You might have lost half a stone by then but have you ever been on a diet where you continued eating normally and still lost weight? I havnt and that's why in a way this seems a bit like magic grin

Fairygen Tue 18-Jun-13 19:09:23

Thanks rules, just needed a bit of reassurance! I know it works but sometimes hard to see the bigger picture when I'm -1lb in 2 weeks ( especially when I know someone doing SW who has lost 4.5 stone in 20 wks!!!)

Rulesgirl Tue 18-Jun-13 20:02:39

Fairy Aahhh.....well yes. SW.......shes done well but will she put it all back on when she reaches target??? I know a few ladies who have lost all their weight with SM or WW, got to target then started eating all the foods they had had to cut back on and before you know it their stuck in a spiral and gaining more and more each week. Then before 6 months have passed, their back up by 6 stone to a heavier weight and more flabby than ever. And you know what.....all WW or Sm does is cause you to eat fewer calories but dressed up in another language. All any of them do, even atkins , hay, blood group, south beach, low carb etc etc etc is give you an eating plan that if you add up the calories find that its less cals that's causing the weight loss. So that's what will eventually happen when you get this right. Your eating less cals. By eating what you want and stopping as soon as your full, you could save a lot of cals.

Fairygen Tue 18-Jun-13 20:19:57

Oh yes rules, I am one of those ex WW and SW members who have lost the weight and then put it all back on plus more!

I'm envious happy for her, just hope she can keep it off, although I doubt it. This way of eating is so much more natural, even if it's slower.

bulshit Thu 20-Jun-13 21:54:18

HI Fairgen, yes I have lost over 20lbs since I started on the 4/2/13. I last weigh myself on the 4/5/13. I know that I have lost more due to how my clothes fits.

Even one is commenting on my weight loss. I had a pair of size 10 which I was unable to pull up beyond my knees. I tried them on today and they fit perfectly. OMG I am so pleased. I decided to get on the scales on the 4th of every 3 months. Example I weighed on the 4th of May and will not weigh until the 4th cog August. I feel that by then I should be at my ideal weight.

I am feeling and looking great. I am 55 years old. Will be sending a before and after picture to Paul McKenna when I reach goal. I do hope that y story get publish. Keep going it's hard but it worth doing.

Today I had a marvellous complement my grandsons friend mother thought that I was my 35 year old daughter was my sister. How amazing is that. Thank you Paul.

Rulesgirl Fri 21-Jun-13 00:42:17

Bulshit your doing so well. Can we see a before and after photo......now......please.....it would be such a help to those struggling with the whole concept to actually see proof that it can work. (grin). What a lovely compliment you had. Bet you felt amazing.

katelynelizabeth Fri 21-Jun-13 03:20:41

Hi everyone,

I read the book and had the band fitted on the 19th (so two days ago)
I feel like i haven't been eating any less sad
I fell asleep on the 19th while listening so i listened to it all again yesterday.
Does anyone have any advice for me?
And also could someone please type the havening technique for me so i can keep doing it at work today? If not I can just wait until I get home haha (thank you in advance)

How is everyone going with it smile?

Rulesgirl Fri 21-Jun-13 20:57:08

Hi Kate doesn't matter if you fall asleep. In fact it works better when you don't fully conciously hear it. This woe does work but it's not a quick fix diet though it's a long term for life thing so you never have to go on a silly money making diet again. grin

veryberrybug Sat 22-Jun-13 11:17:14

hello everyone, how are you all doing today?

rules yes i have to admit i've been timescaling my aimed-for weightloss based on the last month, & was pleasantly surprised when i didn't freak out at the idea of it taking a year!! because i thought "well i'll be thinner by xmas & then thinner still by next summer, hopefully my target size/weight. & let's face it i've had 7 years of going up/down/up again/down a bit/up a lot aaarrgh/down etc, so 1year is fine because it's sustainable. at first i was hoping that, like many of the reviewers, i'd lose 3lbs/week but now i've realised it's no gonnae happen like that for me. so long as i'm still enjoying this WOE & i'm losing (at whatever pace) it's fine smile

fairy i too had a jealous "happy for her" look at my friend who's doing SW, i was scanning the playground for her & actually looked right past her because i was looking for a bigger figure! but she also said, after thanking me for the compliment, that she's no counting her chickens as she's still to "get through the holiday". at that point i thought hmm i remember that part of diets & don't envy her either trying to count what she's eating or giving up, feeling guilty & gaining what she's just lost. i'll just quietly watch & see if it stays off, but also feel quietly jealous that hers is noticeable already (even though i don't want to do it that way)!

kate if you learn the havening (just a few minutes practise each day for a few days) then you'll have it with you whenever you need it. it really works. good luck with it all wink

Fairygen Sat 22-Jun-13 19:03:28

bulshit, I remember you from when I first started back in feb. Great loss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now