I had my hypno gastric band 'fitted' by Paul McKenna last night...

(738 Posts)
lynniep Fri 11-Jan-13 11:01:11

...so far so good! Admittedly its not even 11am yet, but I havent eaten my snacks which are sitting on my desk and not even tempting me! Normally I don't allow myself anything till 10am, then I pounce!

I am doing this in conjunction with weightwatchers, which Paul McKenna would not approve of, since he despises 'diet clubs' (boy does this come through loud and clear in his book).

However since I don't know the man personally, and I feel I need the WW sessions for support, I am carrying on with pro- pointing and hoping that my gastric band will provide the backup I need to not binge and eat more than my body needs.

I've been (back) on weightwatchers for several months now and failed miserably because I am both a compulsive eater and a (hopefully) reformed bulimic.

I'd like to think this will help me - and I'm willing to try it because I am now as heavy as I was just after I gave birth to DS2 3 years ago (my heaviest, unless you count when I was 40 weeks pg!)

If anyone is interested I will report back smile

Fairygen Thu 02-May-13 20:09:33

Hi all, well after just over 2 months I have gone to the dark side and joined a slimming club! I can hardly believe I have.

As much as I have found HGB a really successful way to lose weight, I miss food!! My total lack of appetite has made me not want to cook, and I find I get no pleasure at all from eating!

I'm hoping to continue following the rules, only not as strictly. Hopefully that and the new eating plan will work...

Good luck with your weight losses
X

veryberrybug Thu 02-May-13 21:26:37

my goodness i'm really surprised at your decision fairygen is it the lack of food quantity you miss? in which case what about doing ICMYT whereby you still eat normal portions? do you not mind going back to being told what you can eat & counting etc & the binge-urge that follows? are you managing the 4 golden rules or gulping down a tiny amount? i could see how it would be rubbish just to eat tiny & no get the joy, i'm eating medium & getting real pleasure

mameulah Thu 02-May-13 22:05:29

very That is extremely helpful and interesting. Thank you heaps for posting, if you have any other top tips or insightful information I would love to know. Keep up the good work, you are very inspiring!

mameulah Thu 02-May-13 22:19:15

Actually very or anyone else out there. Can you give me any advice on this...???

I have read about half of the PM HGB book. I have really enjoyed it so far. We are going away for a large family gathering in two weeks and I am really disappointed in myself because I haven't lost any of the weight that I had planned to. I don't want to start the HGB until I get back because I don't want to draw attention to myself with new unusual habits. Can anyone suggest any behaviours that I can adopt in the next two weeks that get me in the right frame of mind without jinxing my HGB mojo that I want to give myself 100 per cent of my attention when I get back.

tia

veryberrybug Fri 03-May-13 14:49:18

hey mameulah glad if i help. oh believe me i know what you mean about having something coming up, eg. family gathering/holiday, for which you wanted to look thin & fabulous, & then being gutted because you've no quite done it (or even made a dent!), tsh! been there so many times...blush

i was a bit nervous about how things would change after installation, & put it off for about a month while i reread the book, had a holiday week with mum & her partner (& i know she looks with a critical eye especially at fatties, so didn't want tro draw attention to myself), had a busy week (aren't they all?!) etc.

during that time i made a point of following the four golden rules, to get myself in practice. (well except on the holiday, all went to pot then oops) but i'm glad i did because very gradually it's getting easier to read full signals, & even some inbetween. it's like they're getting louder, after years of rudely being ignored & told to shut up & bugger off! at lunch today i finished my sandwich, decided i was still hungry (though less so) & got up to make another, but by the time i got the bread out my body shouted "no thanks, i'm full now" & i actually heard it!! previously i would've been so bent on making the sandwich & scoffing it & sticking to my decision, i would not have heard.

so i would recommend doing the four golden rules first, as it takes practice & just gets better! when you slip up & realise you've forgotten, just congratulate yourself on having noticed & bring yourself back with kindness. smile no-one will notice & then when you're back you can give yourself 100%. it's the best thing you can do for yourself, i'm certainly a darn-tootin lot happier with this WOE!

mameulah Fri 03-May-13 21:48:00

veryberry

How so lovely to hear from you and thank you for taking the time once again to share more wisdom.

What you said is exactly what I needed and wanted to hear. And I am glad that you reckon practise makes perfect with the Four Golden Rules. And that I don't need to feel defeated. I had sooooooooo wanted to be a healthy and happy size before this family gathering. Your advice has stopped me feeling so helpless and I appreciate your words very much.

veryberrybug Fri 03-May-13 23:19:13

my pleasure mameulah i'm coming to realise there is no perfection there is just "good enough" which is what each of us can manage with a wee bit effort.

i've cocked up this eve after tea was ready at exactly the point when i had an argument with DP... needless to say my mind was not fully on what was in my gob...oops... but now it's settled down i'm happy i can pick up where i left off a few hours ago. no guilt,(well maybe just a teeny bit, but i'm still learning!) just a quick havening & back to what is now normal! (maybe the gin helped! well it is friday after all!)

i've spent more than enough time berating myself (as many of us have) for what i've eaten, but now i feel i've found a WOE which suits (& finding myself eating & feeling the way i did about food when i was thin effortlessly) i hope you'll soon be comfortable on this path too smile

do what you can & i'd love to hear how you get on

veryberrybug Sun 05-May-13 13:51:35

good morning all! maybe it's the sunshine streaming in the window, but feeling quite bright & breezy here today grin

i've always been a fan of having 2 bits of toast because i can never decide which topping to have! however with reduced capacity i just cany finish that now, but found the answer by surprise - a mini loaf! so i've had one with butter & marmite, & one with mature cheddar cheese & sweet onion chutney mmmmm now comfortably full & satisfied

how's everyone doing?

themidwife Mon 06-May-13 18:31:16

Marking my spot. Have ordered PM 's hupnotic gastric band & awaiting delivery. How does it differ from I Can Make You Thin?

Fairygen Mon 06-May-13 20:35:23

very, I love HGB, and have followed the rules, with a very occasional slip up. I have found it easy to lose weight consistently.

The only problem is that I have absolutely no appetite and when I am hungry I eat no more than I handful. It is definitely the quantity I miss. It also makes cooking a nightmare!!

So far, I haven't craved or binged on anything. Tbh the diet I am following doesn't restrict that much,( I don't eat a lot of rubbish anyway),so it's more or less what I've been eating on HGB, I'm just trying to slowly eat slightly more.

Just hope I don't go completely the opposite way, or I'll be back to the cd etc!

mameulah Mon 06-May-13 22:50:09

Fairy

Do you find you spend your time in different ways because of your new approach to eating/dieting and food?

very

I have thought a lot about what you said, and agree that 'good enough' is most definitely the best approach. Truthfully I have spent the last three years eating badly because 'tomorrow, definitely tomorrow' I would be 'good' forever. Of course this is impossible. I also read somewhere on here yesterday that someone said they think before eating, 'is this actually going to make me happy?' Am trying to keep that in mind too.

Fairygen Tue 07-May-13 07:55:01

mameulah, yes definitely! At the beginning I still thought about food a lot, possibly more because i was trying to be conscious about what i was eating. I couldn't understand how people said they had so much more time, because they weren't thinking about food as much. After a week or so, it became easier.

I don't think I have any more time, I just have the motivation and energy to get on with things. I've done all those little jobs around the house I'd been putting off, and the dog gets 3 huge walks a day instead of just round the block!

I still don't have any desire properly exercise though!!

veryberrybug Tue 07-May-13 21:52:16

hey up everyone!
fairy ISWYM, both my kids have always been tiny eaters & i thanked my luccky stars that DP & i like our food otherwise cooking would be a thankless task. the other night i wasny hungry at all but had to feed DDs & really couldny be arsed! so fair enough. let us know how you get on eh?

any older posters out there? i was wondering how the weightloss etc was going several months in?

mameulah aye it's hard the way diets make us not only think food is either "good" or "bad" but also that we fall into these categories too sad but we can break out of it, it's just a pattern. yes i read in PMs ICMYT that he had great success with loads of clients just by putting a giant question mark on their fridge, to remind them to ask themselves "am i really hungry or do i just want to change the way i feel?" he also says "relax, you will mess up at some point, so don't self-flaggelate, just remind yourself that i said you'd do this, & then get back to the four rules" - how nice & realistic an expectation! keep us posted!

midwife hellooo! ICMYT is the four golden rules & a relaxing hypno-CD which tells you lovely positive things (see thread 11).
HGB has the four golden rules & a hypno-CD which is supposed to make you feel like you've got a gastric band fitted so your stomach capacity is only the size of a lemon not a melon.

cheery-bye, i'm off as i'm totally knackered after a really good zumba class smile

katelynelizabeth Wed 08-May-13 08:38:00

Hey there,

I just started reading the book and listening to the cd. Do I keep counting down from 300? I keep losing count . Or is that what is meant to happen? I've googled for answers and some people state that it means that its working? I'm not sank you in advance! like an answer smile. Thank you in advance!

veryberrybug Wed 08-May-13 11:43:18

hello kate yes you keep counting while you remember, but it doesny matter if you forget or lose count. if you find yourself realising you're not counting, just start roughly where you last remember being. i drift off & return every now & then, some people don't get far but others do. some people stop when he asks you to imagine stuff & focus on that then. it's just something to focus you here & now while you relax. good luck! let us know how you get on.

katelynelizabeth Wed 08-May-13 12:13:01

Thank you veryberrybug that helps out heaps smile. How have you (and everyone else) come along with this book and cd?
Such a great read!

workhouse Thu 09-May-13 15:02:13

Hi all. I installed my band this afternoon. I really enjoyed the trance but did feel a bit stressed about when to stop counting backwards. So I just carried on and counted sporadically until the end.

Ive just eaten my lunch, a very unhealthy choice of a cheese and onion sausage roll type thing, which I had in the house and really wanted to get rid of. It tasted horrible, but I don't know whether that was because I was eating mindfully and really concentrating on how it tasted ( like a bit of cardboard) or because of the virtual band.

Anyway, now really looking forward to something tasty and fresh for tea. I'm feeling really confident about this.

veryberrybug Fri 10-May-13 22:35:32

hello & welcome workhouse that'll be the mindful eating working then! i too am guilty of having eaten to "tidy up" it's rubbish isn't it?! glad you feel positive, keep us posted.

kate you're welcome. i've found the gastric band has made seemingly no difference to the quantity i could eat, which i won't deny disappointed me. however the four golden rules have completely changed my attitude to food & eating in a very positive way. i feel much happier around food, i feel like i no longer need to worry about passing crap food issues on to my DDs, & generally life is better! smile mealtime is joy & not stress/guilt/longing, & when shopping i now look at special offers of sweet manufactured crap & DON'T buy it because i don't want to, not because i'm dragging myself past it trying not to drool! i no longer feel ruled by whether i've been "good" or "bad" with regards to what i've eaten. i'm really enjoying this change in my life!
i've only been Pauling for ~1month but appear to have lost ~1inch round my waist,& today someone commented how they could see i'd lost weight in my face & legs (how nice!) i'm going for a proper weigh & measure at curves next week, but not 'til then because i've got my period this week & that bloats me & i get heavier with water retention etc. so i'll have to wait & see! but i've noticed belt 1notch tighter, denim skirt buttons up etc.
it may be slower than i'd hoped for but sooo sustainable & much more enjoyable than anything else!grin

katelynelizabeth Sat 11-May-13 07:05:13

Thats amazing veryberrybug I look forward to hear your results smile
I've been finding that i eat a lot less but still eating the foods i enjoy and am enjoying them a lot more!
My boyfriend thinks i should be eating healthier but i rarely enjoy those foods.

veryberrybug Sat 11-May-13 12:31:58

it's funny, what PM says in ICMYT book about humans (babies/adults) will naturally choose a balanced diet over the course of a month, well it seems to be true for me: when i was on a diet i used to have massive piles of salad because it would help fill me up; when i started Pauling i noticed i hadn't had much salad for a week or so hmm... then suddenly all i wanted was salad & for the last few days i've mostly been eating chicken salad sandwiches with piles of lettuce & peppers on the side, & the occasional egg salad! & actually enjoying the salad part as much as the rest, where before it was a needs-must-to-fill-me. & recently i found myself not wanting lashings of cheese on a pasta & tomato sauce shock whereas in diet mode i did. so just keep eating what you like & your subconscious will do the rest, so long as you really listen to it you'll be fine!smile

Stillstarving Sun 12-May-13 14:47:21

Hi everybody! I've ordered this book after a friend had success with it. I'm a bit puzzled by eating only when you're hungry/eating what you want. How goes this work with feeding a family/being at work? I have to plan the menus for the week if we are to eat healthily and in budget. Can I still do this? I can't get home and start thinking about what to have for dinner. Also dh wants to try it too. What if he wants to eat something different? Am I over-complicating this??

themidwife Sun 12-May-13 14:59:15

I'm still waiting for my hypno band book but I've got the I Can Make You Thin book & if its the same idea re eating what you want then that's just it, eat the same meals as your family but if the hypno band works, it'll be much smaller portions & no snacking on fattening foods in between.

Stillstarving Mon 13-May-13 10:32:10

Thanks midwife - I have a tendency to make things harder than they need to be! I'm sceptical about this working but my habits definitely need to change. Can't see that it's going to be easy but worth a try!

themidwife Mon 13-May-13 10:47:17

Yes nothing to lose (except the flab) eh?!

ChewingOnLifesGristle Mon 13-May-13 11:01:05

I've just received my book and cd.

Please can I just ask..How long does the cd/band 'installation' take? I want to make sure I pick a time when I won't be interrupted. Also is it necessary to read the entire book beforehand or can I do that afterwards?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now