I had my hypno gastric band 'fitted' by Paul McKenna last night...

(740 Posts)
lynniep Fri 11-Jan-13 11:01:11

...so far so good! Admittedly its not even 11am yet, but I havent eaten my snacks which are sitting on my desk and not even tempting me! Normally I don't allow myself anything till 10am, then I pounce!

I am doing this in conjunction with weightwatchers, which Paul McKenna would not approve of, since he despises 'diet clubs' (boy does this come through loud and clear in his book).

However since I don't know the man personally, and I feel I need the WW sessions for support, I am carrying on with pro- pointing and hoping that my gastric band will provide the backup I need to not binge and eat more than my body needs.

I've been (back) on weightwatchers for several months now and failed miserably because I am both a compulsive eater and a (hopefully) reformed bulimic.

I'd like to think this will help me - and I'm willing to try it because I am now as heavy as I was just after I gave birth to DS2 3 years ago (my heaviest, unless you count when I was 40 weeks pg!)

If anyone is interested I will report back smile

chinhealer Tue 12-Feb-13 20:23:59

Hi dundeemum,

I've definitely found that my 'treats' nowadays are the wholesome, homemade, seriously tasty meals I am now eating as opposed to the empty, processed, God-knows-what-goes-in-'em calories found in my former treats of crisps and chocolates and ice creams and puddings and etc! Because I am finding every single, conscious mouthful a treat, the rubbish 'treats' I used to overdose on are very, very far from my mind now.

Well done for making the change and let us know how you get on.

Fairygen Wed 13-Feb-13 07:06:22

Hi all,
Just completed my first week, and a loss of 5.5 lbs. Really pleased as I haven't felt at all deprived, or guilty. Had one little slip up, eating pop corn in front of the tv....the bag just vanished!!

Funnily enough, my family who thought the whole HGB was hilarious, now want to borrow the book!!!

JakeBullet Wed 13-Feb-13 07:17:24

Marking my place here as I have the book which I am half way through reading. Not listened to the CD yet but DS is going away for half term and so I am hoping to do it then.

brainonastick Wed 13-Feb-13 08:51:23

First week - 3 pounds lost. Hooray! That's par for the course for me for a first diet week, but the difference this time is that I'm not on a 'diet'.

I won't say how much I have still to lose blush.....

wouldratherbeonthebeach Wed 13-Feb-13 11:41:03

All a bit strange, I'm not sure what to do with my time!!! I'm not hungry but I would usually to picking but my head is telling me not togrin. Ate half a croissant for breakfast and could hardly breathesmile. Also been drinking loads of water and fruit tea which can only be a good thing. It has even helped a bit with the Kitkat craving!!!

brainonastick Wed 13-Feb-13 12:08:50

Yes, its wierd being conscious of the amount of head space eating took up isn't it?! Its made me realise that half the reason I eat ate so much at work was because I am BORED out of my mind. So now I realise this, I can spend my time much more productively - mumsnetting to alleviate the boredom!

frumperina Wed 13-Feb-13 20:37:51

brainonastick I think I was born frumpy, weight seems to make no difference to my ability to make everything I wear look like a bin bag. grin

Well yesterday and today have been interesting. I have not had any snacks at all. Had a small breakfast and lunch and no seconds(or thirds) at dinner both days. I am really watching my responses and I just have no interest in food. Amazing.
I went to the supermarket yesterday and DD was being a bit of a nightmare and it was all a bit stressful and yet I had NO desire at all to get a family pack of tiramisu and scoff the lot when I got home.( which would have been my normal response to that situation).

I listened to the trance again last night but I think I'll leave it for a bit now and concentrate on training myself in the 4 golden rules.
DD was asleep in the buggy today when I had some lunch at home and I realised normally I would either eat while reading or while on the internet if she is not there.Its quite an effort to sit down and just eat quietly and not do anything else.

golfsierra Wed 13-Feb-13 20:42:55

Hi everyone - I'm new to this but have read the posts about the Gastric Band (virtual variety!) with great interest. Great to hear that so many people are experiencing success.

I am now at the end of my second week after "fitting" the band (via Paul McKenna) and I cannot believe the effect it has had on both me and my husband. We both have quite a lot of weight to lose and, whilst we have previously had some success on "traditional" diets (SW) we have spent the whole time thinking about food and, inevitably, we have both put it all back on and more. Cue despondancy and lack of motivation. However, after some recent experience with NLP we both decided to give this a try and - wow! what a change in our whole outlook on food and life in general. We both feel so positive and are really amazed at the difference to how we now view food. I used to live from one meal to the next and have huge portions but after fitting the band I have undergone a complete change in how I think about food. I still really enjoy my food and now appreciate the taste, smell and textures like I never have before. I don't feel I am depriving myself of anything - because I am not! If I want something sweet I have it and enjoy it, but I am now in control and only have enough - not stuff my face like before. I did experience some discomfort on the first day - like heartburn, but that soon wore off.

My husband lost 6lb the first week (!!***!!), I lost 2lb which previously would have made me very despondent but it hasn't - I feel SO much brighter, fitter and positive that I know the weight will come off in its own good time. My days no longer revolve around food and eating. I have much more energy and inclination to do other things and often forget meals altogether - so I'm obviously not feeling hungry.

I can't understand how it all works - but it does. Eating consciously makes so much difference to how I enjoy food. I am not on a diet and don't ever intend to go down that route again. I know it is early days but I feel an almost missionary zeal. Has there been a downside? No - apart from the initial heartburn - maybe I've been abducted by aliens!

Hi everyone. I have literally just fitted my gastric band. So will see how it goes. Only thin I'm a bit worried about is I couldn't understand half of what he was saying as he was talking 2 different things at the same time. Does that matter? I was listening to the cd through the DVD player so didn't have ear phones in. I need to lose about a stone so hoping that this combined with some exercise will do the trick as have found it really difficult to lose weight since ds was born. And he's 3 now!

rlucysnow Thu 14-Feb-13 10:45:10

Hi everyone,
Have been watching this thread for last couple of weeks. So I'm a firm believer in hypno and see my therapist once a month for phobia/ general relaxation. We've hit on the subject of food so many times as I'm obvs as emotional eater!! I fitted my band a couple of weeks ago and have to say I can't believe the difference. Just small changes at first, really noticing the amount of food I was using to prepare a meal for my family .... And we do like to eat a lot! I Lost a good stone and half last year (sw) prior to big hol but slowly noticed it creeping back on.
Can't believe how much headspace I've got now, whilst no longer spending my time obsessing about food whether I'm at home or work.
Ive listened to the cd three times so far and I think the third time something really changed, like the penny dropped. That was three days ago and my appetite has virtually disappeared. Had a cheeky weigh this morning and overjoyed at the result! Good luck everyone and I look forward to reading more xx

goldengirl18 Thu 14-Feb-13 15:03:32

Hi everyone, can i join in please, i had my band fitted this morning, i read the book yesterday and CD1 and did the install after the kids went to school, when i had my breakfast 2 scrambled eggs, i could only eat half of the bowl so threw the rest away, i didn't know/think it would start to work so quickly..................I'm desperate to lose some weight, so REALLY hope that this works, to give me the extra boost i need, it was also so inspiring finding this thread and reading all your positive stories. thanks folks and good luck with your own journeys smile

neverputasockinatoaster Thu 14-Feb-13 17:04:22

Interesting experience today - I had a snack before I went for a training walk ( doing the Moonwalk in May) as I wouldn't have had time if I'd had lunch first. I work part time.

After my 4 mile walk I then went to get my lunch. I was hungry. I nosed in the bag of lunch and 2 slices of malt loaf called to me so I ate them..... Then I had something else - some nuts and rasins. I still had a sandwich and crisps in my bag. Normally I'd have eaten all that. I opened the crisps out of habit.. ate 2 and then thought 'nah' and put them aside.

So, maybe it is working after all?

goldengirl18 Thu 14-Feb-13 18:07:22

Hi all,

I've a couple of questions
1. what do you do when your hungry, but your going out for a meal later, as we are tonight, do i eat now, knowing that i won't be hungry when i'm in the restaurant (1 hour from now)?
2. does tasting when cooking count as eating, i mean like 2 grains of rice to see if its cooked

Cheers peeps

Fairygen Thu 14-Feb-13 18:35:37

@goldengirl, I'm by no means an expert (only been doing this just over a week) but I had a similar problem so had a biscuit just so I wouldn't be starving and go mad when I ate out. It kept the hunger at bay for long enough.

I always taste when I'm cooking, but keep an eye on it because I used to eat my body weight before I even sat at the table!!

Well - up to today I thought I'd done quite well ( listened to CD last Friday) but totally binged on chocolate and crisps ( 2 packets of French fries and 3 chocolate bar things) while I was at the library and at Aldi's this afternoon. I think I was quite hungry when I went which didn't help, but things are complicated by having glucose intolerance so I'm only supposed to have 3 meals a day and not snack in between so although I knew I was hungry by about 4.00pm I didn't have anything more to eat then. I'm going to have to see if I can find a way to manage that better. Probably didn't have a big enough lunch because I only had a short time to get it and there was very little in fridge hence trip to Aldi.

Fairygen Fri 15-Feb-13 09:53:12

Decided to listen to the CD again last night for the second time. Managed to relax deeper than ever, without the dog scratching to get in the bedroom and my teenage daughters music!!

Noticing even more of a difference this morning, struggling to do my monthly Internet grocery shop because I don't really fancy anything in particular!!

On the down side, I struggled to sleep last night, and the night I first installed the band. This is not like me at all as I usually sleep 9.30-5.30. Admittedly I don't feel tired this morning.

Has anyone else noticed this?

chinhealer Fri 15-Feb-13 15:55:18

@goldengirl

Re. the restaurant dilemma, I think you have a few options:

1. If you are sufficiently hungry, eat a meal now. (When you are hungry.) Eat till you are pleasantly satisfied or full. Go to the restaurant simply for the company and conversation and, possibly, drinks.

2. Eat a small snack/meal now until you are slightly hungry or neutral and, by the time you come to eat in the restaurant, you will be able to eat a small meal.

3. Drink some water. Or a coffee. Or tea. Or herbal tea. Or coconut water. Or, at a stretch, a freshly juiced juice. None of these - in moderate quantities - should fill you up, but any of these should be enough to tide you over for an hour or so. Then you will be hungry again at the restaurant.

As for the tasting food thing, I've done a fair amount of that myself. I've even done a bit of that when I wasn't particularly hungry. (Which, technically speaking, isn't following the rules.) But, really, since the quantities consumed are so small, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Besides which, I don't think we need to get too neurotic about PM's rules any more than we should about diets and their rules! You talk of a few grains of rice, but I'd suggest that a mouthful or two doesn't do any harm on the whole.

Having said that, I suppose it is possible that, for some people, even the extra grain or two of rice would be enough to destabilize the whole enterprise - akin to an alcoholic who's trying to give up only having a sip or two of shandy... if you feel that even a grain or two of rice will put you on the slippery slope back to unconscious eating and overeating etc, then avoid tasting and get others in your family to, if that's an option.

harryhausen Sat 16-Feb-13 08:44:44

So glad I found this thread.

I've just read the Hypno Gastric Band book and am getting ready to do the prep for my 'surgery'.

Weirdly though, even since just reading the book I feel less hungry. I'm waiting until Monday morn to walk my 20mins a day.

Quite exciting treally

Hello! Can I join you? I finished my reading and the exercises listened to the pre op bit this morning and fell asleep (ds was up at 5), so think I'll try and do pre op again and do the trance tomorrow.

I'm going to clear the dining table of toys and ironing so I can eat in there now! It terrible we don't already, but its a handy room to hide the washing!!

buildingmycorestrength Mon 18-Feb-13 09:29:38

I have ordered my copy. Would be very interested to know how OP (lynnie?) is getting on?

goldengirl18 Tue 19-Feb-13 10:32:19

Morning everyone, hope you're having a good week, how are you all getting on?

brainonastick Tue 19-Feb-13 10:42:29

Do you know, I've had a rubbish week! I had a rotten few days at work, and one of the DCs was ill, so little sleep for a few days. So I have been ignoring some of the rules (eating in front of the TV, had a couple of chocolate bars when I've not been hungry etc). I've been quite aware of when I'm ignoring them though, so not totally mindless eating, and I've still been better at stopping when full at meal time - eg I left quite a lot of a take away curry.

I plan to weigh in tomorrow and see the damage, and listen to the CD again tonight. Its on my ipod now, so I should be able to give it my full attention.

How's everyone else doing?

wouldratherbeonthebeach Tue 19-Feb-13 22:37:44

I seem to do well during the day and really stick to the rules but come supper time it all goes out the window confused. Been going about a week and not lost anything sad

chinhealer Wed 20-Feb-13 01:50:08

@wouldratherbeonthebeach - don't beat yourself up too much about it! At least you're doing well during the day. That's a start! What is it about the daytime that makes it easy to follow the rules?

Similarly, what's going wrong in the evening? Is it the presence of family? Or other distractions? Are you ravenous by then, so overeat to compensate? Are you eating junk in the evenings? Are you truly enjoying every single mouthful? What's stopping you from following the rules even when (if) you are eating junk?

chinhealer Wed 20-Feb-13 02:01:25

@wouldratherbeonthebeach - in terms of not losing any weight in a week, I wouldn't worry too much about that either. Have you gained anything? Or stayed the same?

In any case, I am wondering whether the PM way is primarily about losing weight or primarily about transforming our relationship with food and retraining ourselves to listen to our bodies and our own satiety signals? I think it must be the latter. The weightloss/fatloss will, surely, be a byproduct, in the long-term, of creating a healthy and sensible relationship with food?

In other words, I don't think that we should be measuring the success of following the four rules purely on whether/how much we are losing weight. Much more on whether/how much our eating habits have changed for the better.

Feel free to take a look at my blog which I've been writing for a month now, since I started following the rules:

http://cheeriofatty.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/eating-consciously-day-29-despite-the-propaganda-breakfast-isnt-always-important/

As it happens, I did lose a decent amount in my first two weeks (7lbs.) But my eating was so transformed and my portions were so drastically reduced that it would have been a miracle if I hadn't lost any weight! I believe my weightloss has slowed since then. But I'm not overly bothered about that. PM says that following his rules is likely to result in a slower rate of weightloss anyway, compared to diets. The point is, his way is sustainable forever. Whereas diets just aren't!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now