Can I jog?

(6 Posts)
baileysontherocks Tue 08-Jan-13 21:35:47

Hi all I'm just wondering about how to start jogging I'm currently very overweight (obese 19st ) 24 yrs old I'm wanting to lose weight on myself I've got two children who are at school so I thought I could start taking my dog for a walk in these hours and then slowly build up to jogging I've seen my gp and was told to put a bit more weight on and I could have a gastric band fitted but I want to know that I've done it so hopefully with a bit of support healthy eating and exercise I should be able to drop some weight I'm just wondering how long I should walk my dog before jogging with her?

ivykaty44 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:40:08

How far do you walk the dog at present? How quickly do you do the walking.

TBH I would suggest a brisk walking pace (walking is a super calorie and fat burner and can be better than jogging for being in the right zone to burn fat)

I would walk for 10 minutes in one direction away from home and then try to beat your time getting back - do this three times a day at first and then build up to longer walks.

Not sure how comfortable it will be jogging

Snusmumriken Tue 08-Jan-13 21:45:29

Congrats on deciding to start running. You will not regret it!

Why don't you google 'NHS couch to 5'- it is a really wonderful program (free podcasts and online community).

The program mixes running and walking and is made for people who are not fit.

Good luck!

CoteDAzur Tue 08-Jan-13 21:51:55

Congratulations! Here is BUPA's Couch to 5K program.

Get yourself a very good running bra (not just a "sports" bra) before you get on the road.

BikeRunSki Tue 08-Jan-13 21:52:01

I also recommend the NHS C25K, but maybe get used to brisk walking for 30 mins or so first. And get a good bra (Shock Absorber do a running specific one) and running shoes before you start running (the shoes will be good for walking too) to protect and support you. You don't want to give up before you've begun because you're uncomfortable.

You can definitely do it, come over to the c25k thread, we are all different ages and sizes and different points through a couch to 5k plan smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now